Possible baseball players available in trades

faba

Players on the trading block

The Ugueth Urbina trade took some general managers by surprise last week, "because there really hasn't been a lot of conversation, compared to other years," one GM noted.

But that is changing. GMs are checking rosters and defining needs and making wish lists; scouts are expected to pour into Cleveland to watch Joe Kennedy pitch tonight, for example. Here's what can be had on the market, according to executives and scouts:

Casey makes sense for the Mets- they are lacking offensively at first and throughout the lineup

Reds will look to deal and get rid of if any one will take the big contracts of Griffey and Milton.

I was really hoping that the Brewers would put Lyle Overbay on the block. Sean Casey makes plenty of sense for the Mets, but Overbay has a lesser salary and is the perfect John Olerud-type of first baseman that the Mets need.

See, you can't bring in sluggers to Shea Stadium and anticipate them hitting 30 bombs. You gotta bring in the lefty gap hitters who can have a feild day with the tons of space between outfielders. Overbay doesn't have the HR power that most teams want out of a first baseman, but a .300 hitter who can get on base and hit ya plenty of big RBI doubles is what the Mets need.

However, since he apparantly isn't going to be traded, Casey would probably be the only option, and I'd be thrilled to have him, or almost anybody for that matter over Doug Mientkiewicz.

Mark Redman would look good in either Shea or the Bronx.

I've wanted that guy in pinstripes since a few years ago when I saw him shut down the Yankees at the stadium. Definitely one of the most underrated pitchers in the game. Not lights out but a very effective lefty who has good movement on his pitches and changes speeds very well. This past off-season I was hoping the Yankees would get two of three guys

-Redman

-Odalis Perez

-Matt Clement :x

All signs point to Mark Redman NOT being available so forget about that for awhile. AJ Burnett will likely be the best starting pitcher given in a teading deadline deal. I highly doubt Barry Zito is up for grabs and who the hell wants to give MORE prospects to Billy Beane? Thank God you've all stopped assuming Clemens was going to either NY or Boston because thats just ridiculous.

Casey MIGHT be moved by Cincy...I guess...but why would Boston, NYY, or NYM need his services? Each team has about 3 1Bmen.

(drumroll)

The best available position player to be moved by the trading deadline:

Hideki Matsui!

The best available position player to be moved by the trading deadline:

Hideki Matsui!

i like matsui a lot but if the yankees could get youg pitching prospects with live arms i wouldn't be opposed to moving him. btw, it will never ever happen, matsui makes the yankees a global team. how much $ do you think george makes from selling godzilla jersey's in japan?

george cares about winning more than he cares about money...that much we know. Look at how much he has p*ssed away on 4 straight loser teams.

He'd hate to move Matsui, but when the Yanks are .500 or under at the ASB, which Yankee do you think the LEGIT contenders will be inquiring about? Giamboo? Garroid Sheffield? Kevin Brown? the Late Great Bernie Williams?

Why, Matsui and his $7 million salary of course. Its not like "Godzilla" is setting the world afire this year at the plate. He's hitting like .270 with 6 HRs...he had like 3 in the first week of April! He's not THAT great of a player and he is a luxury the Yankees dont need. They'll get a decent amount of prospects in return for HM so they can retool and maybe make a real run at the playoffs next year.

For now, its still 1965 in Yankee-land!

george cares about winning more than he cares about money...that much we know. Look at how much he has p*ssed away on 4 straight loser teams.

He'd hate to move Matsui, but when the Yanks are .500 or under at the ASB, which Yankee do you think the LEGIT contenders will be inquiring about? Giamboo? Garroid Sheffield? Kevin Brown? the Late Great Bernie Williams?

Why, Matsui and his $7 million salary of course. Its not like "Godzilla" is setting the world afire this year at the plate. He's hitting like .270 with 6 HRs...he had like 3 in the first week of April! He's not THAT great of a player and he is a luxury the Yankees dont need. They'll get a decent amount of prospects in return for HM so they can retool and maybe make a real run at the playoffs next year.

the only way the yankees move matsui is if they get blue-chip prospects or someone will take Giambi off the yankees hands - some kind of deal where ny pays half his salary over the remaining years.

George will NEVER deal Matsui because of the Japanese/Asian market's interest. It's the same reason the Mets won't dump a loser like Kaz Matsui.

Archived