Coach, Teammates Keep the Faith in Chad

jaspegs

http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/articles/show/1685-coach-teammates-keep-the-faith-in-chad

After losing to the Giants, 35-24, this afternoon, head coach Eric Mangini and the members of the Jets offense wanted to make one thing clear to Chad Pennington: They still have faith in the eighth-year veteran to turn their ship around.

“You can’t say anything about Chad,” wide receiver Laveranues Coles said. “You can’t put Chad out in front of this team. We lost as a team and if you have to try to blame somebody or are looking to point the finger, it’s definitely not at him.”

Mangini, too, believes in Pennington regardless of today’s performance and made it very clear in his postgame news conference. The second-year Jets coach quickly deflected two questions about his confidence in Pennington and even his status as the team’s starting quarterback with short replies.

Pennington’s unusually inconsistent performance in Week 5

will summon much criticism throughout the coming week. The Jets quarterback threw three interceptions to just one touchdown after throwing two picks the week before at Buffalo.

Regardless of these mishaps, Mangini and the rest of the Jets offense still hold the same faith in him they always have, citing that the interceptions should not be solely his

Ross. “He jumped the route and made a good play”

“A lot of times people get on defensive backs saying the reason they aren’t receivers is because they can’t catch,” Pennington said. “These guys we played today have really good hands.”

Prior to the snap, Pennington picked up on the Giants formation and liked what he was seeing. The Jets had seen a previous scheme by Big Blue's stout and checked out of the original called play.

“I give credit to them on that particular play,” Cotchery said. “We checked to something else and at the last minute they backed off and played a soft coverage and it was just a good defensive call.”

Cotchery, behind an obvious amount of disappointment in his

performance, took responsibility for that pick. Each of the Giants’ three interceptions were intended for the Jets' fourth-year receiver.

“A lot of times when there are interceptions it’s not just one guy,” Cotchery said. “The QB is throwing the ball and he’s the one that gets most of the attention."

Cotchery couldn’t disrupt Ross and the end result was the

first of Pennington’s two costly fourth-quarter interceptions. The Giants took over at their 2-yard line and went the length of the field for a touchdown to take their first lead of the game.

“You just have to do everything in your power to prevent the interception,” Cotchery said. “We didn’t do a good enough job to prevent the interceptions today and that goes on me also.”

Following a quick Jets series, the Giants managed one first down on the ensuing drive before punting it back to the Jets offense. This gave Pennington another shot at redemption with 4:40 left in the fourth quarter, but Ross struck again, this time for a 43-yard pick-six.

“I saw improvement in me as a quarterback with being able to make some throws down the field and stepping up with confidence and making some good throws,” said Pennington, who finished 21-for-36 for 229 yards.

Chad saw improvement in him as a Qb? He keeps improving like that we won't win another game. Some people might be surprised that the Giants didn't sack him much after 12 sacks the week before against the Eagles. I think they weren't trying to sack him, they liked their chances better when they let Chad throw the ball!

You know what I am totally sick of this. What a sorry ass franchise.

We Jets fans criticize guys like Randy Moss and TO, but at the end of the day these mother ****ers WANT TO WIN, and won't accept anything less. We got a bunch of happy campers that are busy getting in a circle and having an emotional support group, we don't have football players and we don't have any ****ing accountability. You guys thought it was Herm Edwards making these players soft? **** no, they were already soft. Vilma, D-Rob, Chad, Coles are all pussies. A REAL team is having dissension right now because losing sucks. Not these guys, 4 losses? So what, we'll try again next week! Hey it doesn't matter if you win or lose, it's the effort that counts!

That **** did not fly with me in high school, or even in a pickup game, it sure as hell doesn't fly in the NFL. If you want players to come out fired up and have an edge, they can't just expect everyone to have their back. LT lost it against Rivers last week, and the two got into several heated exchanges. What did they do this week? They went out there and dominated the Broncos. You get angry, and then you focus that anger against your opponent. But I guess LT isn't a team player because he actually has talent and wants to win, we need losers like Chad and Coles.

These players don't care. The coach doesn't care either. They get paid millions whether they win or lose, they're banging super models and living it up. They don't work a real job, they get paid to play a game. The fans look forward to it every weekend, we're the ones that get emotionally invested. When the Jets lose we don't go home to our super model gfs in our mansions with the Lamborghini parked in the garage. Instead we sulk on JN.

**** Coles, **** Chad, **** Mangini. Chad is going to go and save his job on Sunday, and then just drop 2 more games later on this year, and if we squeak into the playoffs he'll just lose that game too. More likely though we'll get to 6-10 or 8-8 and just blame our "poor start" instead of the real problems.

Same old Jets. Eventually they really will push me to another franchise, like maybe the Giants if I move back to NY, or the Chargers if I stay out here. This is really getting there.

I'm glad the team has more brains and better perspective than the tools on this board.

Fix the defense. Fix the O-line. Pennington's part of the problem, but not nearly the biggest part.

Pennington's play affects the defense and the team's inability to run the ball. The O-line is much improved.

Where is the perspective in keeping Chad at QB? More wins this season? Next season?

Serphnx, I understand your frustration, but I cannot understand why you would blast Coles. That guy is tough as nails. He has been nearly killed in every game this season, not to mention yesterday when he had to sacrifice himself for each pass Chad threw to him. The pass where he had to jump up and snatch the ball away from defenders..the pass where Chad tossed it to the sidelines and he still found a way to grab it and keep his feet inbounds.

Blast whoever you may, but I see nothing from Coles' performance that warrants any criticism of him.

what are the players supposed to say..."I cannot play with Chad anymore" I am tired of all of these stories how about winning an fing game

Exactly 4H besides the fact that Mangini has them all programmed or tight lipped.They like losing week after week.

Im a big Chad supporter as anyone but I also know the game of football. The time is now for a change in QBs.

I've read a lot of stupid **** on this board. This is one of the stupidest statements, ever.

In dummy terms............

Mangini wont allow them to talk to the media and tell the truth.

Sarcastic comment "they like losing every week".

Peace out Bob......rough weekend with Giants fans.

The team was 100% behind Testaverde through the miserable start to 2002 also.

A head coach can't be afraid of a locker-room popularity contest. Non-players who support under-performing/under-talented starters are called cheerleaders, not coaches.

Maybe they've already given up on Pennington, outside of Coles. Maybe that's why this team doesn't look like it cares.

The team was 100% behind Testaverde through the miserable start to 2002 also.

A head coach can't be afraid of a locker-room popularity contest. Non-players who support under-performing/under-talented starters are called cheerleaders, not coaches.

What he said. We were at exactly the same point at 1-4 with Testaverde in 2002, when, ironically, Pennington rightly got a shot.

Archived