Selling a product

Boozer76

Let's all be realistic for a second while we try and determine where the blame lies in all this. The NFL is a product for consumer's entertainment. The NY Jets are an extension of that product, tailored towards the people in the area as well as other fans across the nation. So, from a business perspective, what kind of product is the front office of the NY Jets trying to sell?

Obviously the #1 goal is to win the Super Bowl on a year by year basis. But we all know there are 31 other teams vying for that same distinction, so those expectations as a fan must be at least reserved a bit. 12 total teams make it to the playoffs each year so that is definitely a realistic expectation, however 67% of the league will always be disappointed every year in terms of reaching that goal. Next is the goal of showing signs of improvement in the long term stance of reaching goal #1 in the next few years. For example you have a young QB playing, or a new coach took over a bad team and is slowly replacing the bad parts with good ones. Lastly, if nothing else, the team is exciting to watch in some regard. Sure maybe th team stinks as a whole, but at least there is something or someone exciting to watch that at least entertains the fans as they try to move into the 3rd category of rebuilding. The Rams have Steven Jackson and Torry Holt, The Dolphins have Ronnie Brown as examples.

So where do the Jets stand right now? We know for sure we are by no means a SB caliber team. We can comfortably say we are not a playoff team either. So that really brings us to 12 things-are we rebuilding or at least exciting?

If we are rebuilding, I think that you really have to critique the plan so far. It was pretty clear last season that we have severe offensive line issues as well as defensive issues, especially the line. It seems the coaches were content that the OL would gel this year given how they made no moves to address the situation. A fair enough idea given we had 2 1st round rookies on the line last season. But the problem last year was mainly on the right side, with Moore and Clement. An issue that is still there today. To compound that, they refused to give Kendall a stinking 1 million dollar raise. I could applaud the stance that they took on the issue, however in this situation Kendall was only asking for what he offered to take as a pay cut to help the team with caproom. Kendall is by no means all world, but he better than what we have now and downgrading an already suspect line was just a piss poor decision IMO.

Defensively speaking, we just signed a boatload of average players to try and plug our most glaring holes in the front 7. Our DL is continually getting beaten back, and furthermore our "star" LB consistently showed last year he was a liability in the 3-4 just as he is now. Sure he makes some good plays here and there when his speed allows, but it's the average plays that are killing us. It's the runs up the middle where we are constantly getting gashed. It's the fact that we have no pass rush to speak of. I realize that there wasn't much available to fix the DL this past season, and I can even respect that they are determined to stay with the 3-4. What I can't accept is the FO's refusal to at least bolster the D in areas they can. We need a big LB to compensate for the DL's deficiency. Adalius Thomas would have been a huge help. I didn't think so when he was available, but it is painfully obvious now that I was wrong. Drafting Harris was smart, but for god sakes put him on the field and put him in where we need him most, in place of Vilma. Our LB's should sacrifice some speed for size given the situation we are in. As bad as Barrett and Dyson have been, our small front 7 that completely lacks playmakers doesn't help at all.

Lastly, is this team at all fun to watch? Are we to accept that the only real excitement comes when a team has scored on us and kicks off to Leon Washington? Make no mistake, our offense has weapons. Very good weapons!! Thomas Jones is a very good RB. Coles/Cotch/Smith/McCareins is a very formidable starting WR core. Baker can been very good when given the chance, and Washington is electric when he has the ball. So why then is our offense completely stuck in a mire and so painstakingly boring to watch? Part of the blame certainly falls on our OL (in turn our FO for not addressing it), but you have to look no further than Pennington! If a QB has as many weapons as he has and can not manufacture any kind of semblance of an offensive threat then you must look elsewhere!! Kellen Clemens will at least give us something exciting to watch, and if it works out it might even move the team into an acceptable level of rebuilding. This is not a situation like 1999 when Vinny went down and we had no options. We have the hope of promise behind Chad. Whether that promise pans out or not will only be determined on the football field in real games. It's time to decide!

I never make long posts like this, but the fact that I am inclined to change the channel more and more on Sundays is starting to really get to me. I actually now ponder if I should just do the yardwork that needs to get done instead of watch the game. No FO worth their salt should stand by and allow such a horrible product perform without making some kind of effort to change it. I have stood by this regime and still do, b ut I implore them that my patience is wearing thin. Their attitude that they just need to put together 4 good quarters is sickening. When the players that are currently on the field can not accomplish that goal, it's time to make some changes. Big changes. Sitting by idly waiting and hoping the current guys "get it" at some point is not acceptable and is a surefire way to gt your ass run out of town.

Let's all be realistic for a second while we try and determine where the blame lies in all this. The NFL is a product for consumer's entertainment. The NY Jets are an extension of that product, tailored towards the people in the area as well as other fans across the nation. So, from a business perspective, what kind of product is the front office of the NY Jets trying to sell?

Obviously the #1 goal is to win the Super Bowl on a year by year basis. But we all know there are 31 other teams vying for that same distinction, so those expectations as a fan must be at least reserved a bit. 12 total teams make it to the playoffs each year so that is definitely a realistic expectation, however 67% of the league will always be disappointed every year in terms of reaching that goal. Next is the goal of showing signs of improvement in the long term stance of reaching goal #1 in the next few years. For example you have a young QB playing, or a new coach took over a bad team and is slowly replacing the bad parts with good ones. Lastly, if nothing else, the team is exciting to watch in some regard. Sure maybe th team stinks as a whole, but at least there is something or someone exciting to watch that at least entertains the fans as they try to move into the 3rd category of rebuilding. The Rams have Steven Jackson and Torry Holt, The Dolphins have Ronnie Brown as examples.

So where do the Jets stand right now? We know for sure we are by no means a SB caliber team. We can comfortably say we are not a playoff team either. So that really brings us to 12 things-are we rebuilding or at least exciting?

If we are rebuilding, I think that you really have to critique the plan so far. It was pretty clear last season that we have severe offensive line issues as well as defensive issues, especially the line. It seems the coaches were content that the OL would gel this year given how they made no moves to address the situation. A fair enough idea given we had 2 1st round rookies on the line last season. But the problem last year was mainly on the right side, with Moore and Clement. An issue that is still there today. To compound that, they refused to give Kendall a stinking 1 million dollar raise. I could applaud the stance that they took on the issue, however in this situation Kendall was only asking for what he offered to take as a pay cut to help the team with caproom. Kendall is by no means all world, but he better than what we have now and downgrading an already suspect line was just a piss poor decision IMO.

Defensively speaking, we just signed a boatload of average players to try and plug our most glaring holes in the front 7. Our DL is continually getting beaten back, and furthermore our "star" LB consistently showed last year he was a liability in the 3-4 just as he is now. Sure he makes some good plays here and there when his speed allows, but it's the average plays that are killing us. It's the runs up the middle where we are constantly getting gashed. It's the fact that we have no pass rush to speak of. I realize that there wasn't much available to fix the DL this past season, and I can even respect that they are determined to stay with the 3-4. What I can't accept is the FO's refusal to at least bolster the D in areas they can. We need a big LB to compensate for the DL's deficiency. Adalius Thomas would have been a huge help. I didn't think so when he was available, but it is painfully obvious now that I was wrong. Drafting Harris was smart, but for god sakes put him on the field and put him in where we need him most, in place of Vilma. Our LB's should sacrifice some speed for size given the situation we are in. As bad as Barrett and Dyson have been, our small front 7 that completely lacks playmakers doesn't help at all.

Lastly, is this team at all fun to watch? Are we to accept that the only real excitement comes when a team has scored on us and kicks off to Leon Washington? Make no mistake, our offense has weapons. Very good weapons!! Thomas Jones is a very good RB. Coles/Cotch/Smith/McCareins is a very formidable starting WR core. Baker can been very good when given the chance, and Washington is electric when he has the ball. So why then is our offense completely stuck in a mire and so painstakingly boring to watch? Part of the blame certainly falls on our OL (in turn our FO for not addressing it), but you have to look no further than Pennington! If a QB has as many weapons as he has and can not manufacture any kind of semblance of an offensive threat then you must look elsewhere!! Kellen Clemens will at least give us something exciting to watch, and if it works out it might even move the team into an acceptable level of rebuilding. This is not a situation like 1999 when Vinny went down and we had no options. We have the hope of promise behind Chad. Whether that promise pans out or not will only be determined on the football field in real games. It's time to decide!

I never make long posts like this, but the fact that I am inclined to change the channel more and more on Sundays is starting to really get to me. I actually now ponder if I should just do the yardwork that needs to get done instead of watch the game. No FO worth their salt should stand by and allow such a horrible product perform without making some kind of effort to change it. I have stood by this regime and still do, b ut I implore them that my patience is wearing thin. Their attitude that they just need to put together 4 good quarters is sickening. When the players that are currently on the field can not accomplish that goal, it's time to make some changes. Big changes. Sitting by idly waiting and hoping the current guys "get it" at some point is not acceptable and is a surefire way to gt your ass run out of town.

better get to home depot quick. i think they have a sale in lawn and garden.

That 2005 Team was hard to watch but at least there were some excuses like half the team was out due to injury and the 3rd String QB, Brooks, isn't really in the league anymore 2 years later.

But this team, they are not any more exciting than that team was, except there are no real injuries. There's nothing positive to say about this team so far this season. KC might not change the team, but at least we get a chance to see if he's the future. Hoping for a better future is a lot easier if you see some kind of future. It doesn't look good when half the players on this team probably won't be here in the future and then you're stuck in, who knows if it's good or bad or nothing.

The only reason Jets fans are buying this product is because the Jets "company" has a monopoly on the product. If there were other Jets teams to root for or watch, no one would choose this one.

This team is unwatchable. It is boring to the point of being non-entertainment. And ultimately, this is what football is (or is supposed to be) for: entertainment.

If this were a job, most of us would have left by now. If this were a marriage, most of us would be divorced by now or at least cheated.

But the best example would be if the NY Jets were one of our kids. Always a disappointment, but we still love them cause they are our kid. There are times our kid shows signs of making something of their life, but then it's more of a pipe dream or a quick hit than actually reality. We get high hopes, but those hopes are always stomped on. But again, we love our kid, no matter what. But at some point in our kids life, while we still love them and expect the best for them, we no longer expect much. Yes we get high hopes when something good happens with them, but in the back of our mind we keep thinking, "is this the real deal?" And most of the time, it's not the real deal as the kid winds up sleeping at home, living off of us or leeching off of whomever.

They might always be a disappointment, but after awhile it's no longer prudent to demand they change their lives. We push for it, but we accept at some point that they probably won't be what we hoped.

The Jets are like that kid. We no longer expect much from them. We hold out hope, we still love them, but when things go bad, it's not a surprise. When things

go good, we have high hopes, but always doubts. They are just like that son who never lived up to expectations.

If this were a job, most of us would have left by now. If this were a marriage, most of us would be divorced by now or at least cheated.

But the best example would be if the NY Jets were one of our kids. Always a disappointment, but we still love them cause they are our kid. There are times our kid shows signs of making something of their life, but then it's more of a pipe dream or a quick hit than actually reality. We get high hopes, but those hopes are always stomped on. But again, we love our kid, no matter what. But at some point in our kids life, while we still love them and expect the best for them, we no longer expect much. Yes we get high hopes when something good happens with them, but in the back of our mind we keep thinking, "is this the real deal?" And most of the time, it's not the real deal as the kid winds up sleeping at home, living off of us or leeching off of whomever.

They might always be a disappointment, but after awhile it's no longer prudent to demand they change their lives. We push for it, but we accept at some point that they probably won't be what we hoped.

The Jets are like that kid. We no longer expect much from them. We hold out hope, we still love them, but when things go bad, it's not a surprise. When things

go good, we have high hopes, but always doubts. They are just like that son who never lived up to expectations.

Stop comparing me to the Jets, its insulting.

potw nom.

Archived