We are a long way from winning....think about it.

NIGHT STALKER

We all have our reasons why we're in a funk this year. From players to coaches...pick a reason(s).

When I refleck back to the Sack Exchange days, we couldn't even win with those guys...and we had players like McNeil, Shuler, Walker ,etc on offense. I would take the Sack Exchange and those three on offense for this years team...I would even take Ken O'Brien at QB.

When you can't win with that group, how the hell do you expect to win with this group?

We all have our reasons why we're in a funk this year. From players to coaches...pick a reason(s).

When I refleck back to the Sack Exchange days, we couldn't even win with those guys...and we had players like McNeil, Shuler, Walker ,etc on offense. I would take the Sack Exchange and those three on offense for this years team...I would even take Ken O'Brien at QB.

When you can't win with that group, how the hell do you expect to win with this group?

If Clemens is good and the Jets have a productive draft then I think the Jets can win next year or soon thereafter. There are plenty of assets on offense and, seemingly, more than a few talented defenders.

At the moment I am baffled that the Jets can be playing this poorly. Having the Bengals (with a reserve RB) roll the Jets like they were children has taken the misery of this season to a new low. The Bengals have Palmer, Johnson, etc in the passing game and still (rightly) thought it would be quicker and more efficient to just run the ball down the Jets' throats. Piece of cake, too.

We aren't that far off. We have plenty of decent players but no game breakers. Teams can find that through the draft or FA. On offense we have a lot to work with, IMO, two new (good) linemen would fix the running game, coupled with a new QB and i don't see our offense struggling nearly as much.

On defense there is more, and i do agree that they are pretty far off since we get zero pressure and zero on run defense. In the same light, if we find a GOOD NT, and Harris pans out, we will be back to a 10 to 15 defense.

We are 4 to 6 good players away, and a few of those 'good' players are on the roster, they just haven't broken out yet i.e. revis, harris, mangold, brick

The Jets are not far at all, there a few players/moves away from being competitive in 2008, which most of us here thought they would be this season.

QB: Clemens (If he's what most of us think he is)

RB: Jones

FB: Barnes

TE: Baker/possibly something new/more explosive here

WR: Coles, Cotchery and we need a #3 whether its Stuckey or we aquire someone.

C: Mangold

LT: Ferguson

LG: VACANT for improvement; Kendall gone we need more here.

RG: Moore

RT: VACANT for improvement; need something more then Clarke

DE: Coleman

NT: VACANT for improvement; we desperately need someone here

DE: Ellis

OLB: Hobson

MLB: Harris

MLB: Vilma

OLB: Thomas

CB: Revis

CB: VACANT for improvementl Dysons health is an issue and I think we can improve here

FS: Smith (I like Eric Smith a lot, i think he will grow)

SS: Rhodes

K: Nugent

P: Big Ben

HC: Mangini

OC: Shotty

DC: VACANT for desperate improvement.

I think this is a roster that can compete in 2008, any thoughts?!?!

If Clemens is good and the Jets have a productive draft then I think the Jets can win next year or soon thereafter. There are plenty of assets on offense and, seemingly, more than a few talented defenders.

At the moment I am baffled that the Jets can be playing this poorly. Having the Bengals (with a reserve RB) roll the Jets like they were children has taken the misery of this season to a new low. The Bengals have Palmer, Johnson, etc in the passing game and still (rightly) thought it would be quicker and more efficient to just run the ball down the Jets' throats. Piece of cake, too.

Not to mention we will probably be picking in the top 5 draft picks the way our guys are finishing games this season.......Is shouldn`t be that long before we win again though, maybe 5 weeks when we play the fins again we should win..

Not to mention we will probably be picking in the top 5 draft picks the way our guys are finishing games this season.......Is shouldn`t be that long before we win again though, maybe 5 weeks when we play the fins again we should win..

Buffalo and Miami are our two best shots to win games this year- did the AFC East get so bad so quick!

Being that DBrick and Mangold were first round picks and they haven't made this a good OL, I don't see how they are that "close" anymore. Yeah if they pick up some good FAs and not scrubs, they can compete. But I have a feeling Coles is gone after this season and they will continue to be cheap in FA. So we depend on the draft.

The draft is great, if you find players who are great. So far not one pick has been great. If it takes DBrick and Mangold 4-5 years to become great, that means next season a drafted OL might take 4-5 years to become as good as advertised. That's not how you build winning football teams.

I'd have more hope if one of their draft picks were a pro bowl player. But after 2 seasons, they haven't drafted one yet or signed one or traded for one. Maybe they don't play the players where they should be played, but that is part of the problem.

Drafting only works if you pick like AJ Smith or the Colts or Pats. It doesn't work if you pick up 2 players each year and they take 3-5 years to develop. Because by the time your first year draft picks become good, half your team is still 'developing.' It's an endless cycle of "never' winning.

They might go 10-6 next season and make the playoffs. Great, but they'll probably get blown out and expectations will be up for 2009. But 2009 is another struggle and suddenly "maybe in 2010." It's the same story over and over again. They never really improve.

We cannot survive with Victor Hobson at OLB and Jonathan Vilma at ILB. First off, Bryan Thomas either needs to switch back to rushing the Quarterback's blind side or we need to replace Hobson with someone who can. We desperately need another pass rusher at OLB. Hobson, unfortunately, is not that guy.

Drafting only works if you pick like AJ Smith or the Colts or Pats. It doesn't work if you pick up 2 players each year and they take 3-5 years to develop. Because by the time your first year draft picks become good, half your team is still 'developing.' It's an endless cycle of "never' winning.

It's much easier to be a successful rookie when you have good players around you. Just do your job and you fit in. That's not going to happen when you join a team like the Jets. Winning systems like SD, Colts and Pats can cover for a rookies mistakes and weaknesses. Crappy teams like the Jets need the rookies to cover for the vets.

It's much easier to be a successful rookie when you have good players around you. Just do your job and you fit in. That's not going to happen when you join a team like the Jets. Winning systems like SD, Colts and Pats can cover for a rookies mistakes and weaknesses. Crappy teams like the Jets need the rookies to cover for the vets.

You do realize a few years back San Diego was the laughing stock in the NFL. They were the "Ryan Leaf" laugh. They were the team that traded away Vick. They were the team Eli Manning didn't want to play for. They were the team that LT would waste his career away on.

So the theory that the Chargers were a great team is far from the truth. AJ Smith and Marty turned that team from a laughing stock to one of the best teams in the NFL at least on paper. ANd every year it seems the Chargers draft another pro bowl player.

Yeah the Colts and Pats seem to build winners. But then gain in 2001, neither were really considered winners.

To build a winner you need to draft great players. If you draft pro bowl players almost every year, of course you should build a contender. The Jets haven't drafted any pro bowl players in two seasons so far. You don't build contenders with avg young starters, terrible veterans, and bad play calling.

You do realize a few years back San Diego was the laughing stock in the NFL. They were the "Ryan Leaf" laugh. They were the team that traded away Vick. They were the team Eli Manning didn't want to play for. They were the team that LT would waste his career away on.

So the theory that the Chargers were a great team is far from the truth. AJ Smith and Marty turned that team from a laughing stock to one of the best teams in the NFL at least on paper. ANd every year it seems the Chargers draft another pro bowl player.

Yeah the Colts and Pats seem to build winners. But then gain in 2001, neither were really considered winners.

To build a winner you need to draft great players. If you draft pro bowl players almost every year, of course you should build a contender. The Jets haven't drafted any pro bowl players in two seasons so far. You don't build contenders with avg young starters, terrible veterans, and bad play calling.

I realize it. I don't disagree with you either. It's just that the guys the Chargers pick NOW, say Marcus McNeil, have an easier time coming in than D'Brick coming to the Jets. A guy like Revis might be as good as guys picked by the Colts or Pats, but plugging him into this system makes us want more. Guys have to be real studs to make a difference.

Archived