Ray Lewis airs frustration about 4th-quarter passes

Lil Bit Special

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/bal-sp.rayradio23oct23,0,6475439.story

By Kevin Van Valkenburg

Sun reporter

October 23, 2007

sports;ptype=ps;slug=bal-sprayradio23oct23;rg=ur;ref=baltimoresuncom;pos=1;dcopt=ist;sz=300x250;tile=1;ord=13212119?

Ray Lewis was calm but candid last night on his weekly radio show when asked about the Ravens' play-calling on offense during the second half of their 19-14 loss to the Buffalo Bills on Sunday.

"It was as frustrating for you as it was for me," Lewis said in response to a caller complaining about coach Brian Billick's decision to have Kyle Boller throw the ball three straight times, starting with second-and-one at the Bills' 49 with less than two minutes to play. All three passes were incomplete.

"As far as decisions, you have to let Willis McGahee touch the ball on one of those plays," Lewis said.

Lewis, who does a two-hour radio show with Anita Marks on 1300 AM each Monday from his Canton restaurant, Full Moon Bar-B-Que, said frustration wouldn't divide the locker room. But he said he agrees with those who were puzzled that McGahee didn't get a carry in that situation.

"We knew he should have touched the ball when you have a fourth-and-one," Lewis said. "Old-school football is old-school football. If there is a yard I need to get, there is a running back, a fullback and an offense that is meant to get that.

"You can't make oranges be peaches. It doesn't change. It will never change. That's what Billick has to ask himself, why we keep putting ourselves in those situations. In the Cincinnati game, that cost us with those same decisions."

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ordine/blog/2007/10/billick_admits_playcalling_err.html

Billick admits play-calling mistake

A couple of times yesterday, Ravens coach Brian Billick conceded that he was second-guessing himself on the four-quarter play-calling that is drawing fire from fans and players alike.

If you missed the situation: The Ravens were trailing Buffalo, 19-14, in the fourth quarter; Baltimore had the ball second-and-one at the Bills' 49-yard line; there was 1:59 remaining. The Ravens ran three straight pass plays, all incompletions. It was the last possession for the Ravens.

It certainly got Ray Lewis' attention. He wanted the ball in running back Willis McGahee's hands to get the first down. Yesterday, during his news conference, Billick conceded he should have run the ball on fourth down. On a Fox radio show, he repeated that but extended it to third and fourth down.

Here's the transcript provided by Fox GameTime Live Monday and thanks to Sun colleague Rick Maese, who pointed it out. The Fox broadcasters are Andrew Siciliano and Krystal Fernandez.

Billick: Second-and-one, I

The next time mangini admits to making a mistake will be the first time.

It doesn't matter if he admits his mistakes publicly. He will be graded on simply learning from them. If Mangini does a sit down with the reporters and says he was wrong for x, y and z -- that doesn't help them on the field. If he does a sit down with the coaches\front office and says here is where we were wrong -- that is much more important obviously.

Time will tell.

i hear you Max, I'm just sayin'.

It's refreshing to hear a coach admit a mistake and not blame everything on execution. Billick could have just as easily said, it was a good call, the QB needs to complete that pass.

Lewis is not a Mangini type player. Also I eavesdropped on a call Mangini made to Billick yesterday, I heard Mangini tell Billick that Lewis has an injured tricep and can't play next week.

LMAO!

i hear you Max, I'm just sayin'.

It's refreshing to hear a coach admit a mistake and not blame everything on execution. Billick could have just as easily said, it was a good call, the QB needs to complete that pass.

LMAO!

billick can also get away with it since he is an established coach who has actually won the "big game" Mangini says it and it would be used against him by the media and fans. Not that he's getting a pass now for their lousy play.

billick can also get away with it since he is an established coach who has actually won the "big game" Mangini says it and it would be used against him by the media and fans. Not that he's getting a pass now for their lousy play.

I see. So Mangini displays the arrogance and stubborness of a coach who has won the "big game" but not the humility. And what has he won again?

Lewis made some great points. I watched the entire game (only game on in Buffalo) and it was totally frustrating to watch Boller's passes. I did keep thinking 'how the @#&% did they (Ravens) beat us? '. I demand a replay of that game !

It doesn't matter if he admits his mistakes publicly. He will be graded on simply learning from them. If Mangini does a sit down with the reporters and says he was wrong for x, y and z -- that doesn't help them on the field. If he does a sit down with the coaches\front office and says here is where we were wrong -- that is much more important obviously.

Time will tell.

He apparently has not made any mistakes yet. He has not changed a damn thing...

I see. So Mangini displays the arrogance and stubborness of a coach who has won the "big game" but not the humility. And what has he won again?

not sure what you have up your ass for me, but I wasnt sticking up for Mangini.

I was making the point that Billick CAN admit he made a mistake because he wont be run out of town for it since he is a winner. Mangini CANNOT admit he made a mistake because he would look weak and unprepared and would be run out of town for it.

not sure what you have up your ass for me, but I wasnt sticking up for Mangini.

I was making the point that Billick CAN admit he made a mistake because he wont be run out of town for it since he is a winner. Mangini CANNOT admit he made a mistake because he would look weak and unprepared and would be run out of town for it.

It's absolutely nothing directed at you.

My post has to do with mangin's arrogance and decision making, and I am not real keen on how he treats his players. Unless you are mangini, its not about you.

:)

Archived