Beckett = Ace (Part Two: Electric Boogaloo)

Thor99

With the way Beckett has been pitching I think he could easily become the best postseason pitcher of all-time. Just look at what he did in '03 and '07 and I don't think there is anyone else who has ever done as good as Beckett has in the playoffs.

Guys like Smoltz, Gibson etc were pretty tough come post season and I am sure with all the Yankee rings their are some pretty gaudy stats from starters mixed in from them as well.

I posted about Beckett's talent last year but due to his giving up the long ball in his first AL season was met with lots of resistance. He is too good to not have corrected the issue and honestly, I am hard pressed to name a better big game pitcher this decade.

I remember all the DL waiting to happen discussions as well. Hanley and Sanchez for Lowell and Josh sure looks like a good trade for both teams now with the edge going to the Sox due to the Sanchez injury. I will ALWAYS take the proven stud pitcher in those deals anyway. Lowell is also a very nice security blanket at 3B.

Bottom line, Beckett is just entering his prime and is a absolute money pitcher. I see a lot of the same make-up in Joba as well but for now Josh is to SP in the post season what Mo is to closers.

With the way Beckett has been pitching I think he could easily become the best postseason pitcher of all-time. Just look at what he did in '03 and '07 and I don't think there is anyone else who has ever done as good as Beckett has in the playoffs.

lets put down the crackpipe pal

christy mathewson, sandy koufax, JOHN SMOLTZ

these guys all had more success

check my sig for other great preformers

One thing to note is that normally NL going to AL pitchers struggle, and Beckett did a little last year. But I think moving to the AL has improved him as a pitcher a helluva lot. I also think having the cast around him that he does has helped: Schilling, Varitek, Wakefield can all give some decent mature, professional guidance.

Beckett had a bad game in I believe 2003 against the Reds that I saw. His peripherals were not very good that day.

He is not great, just lucky. ;)

Get your facts straight. It was 2005!

Beckett has been great this year. 2006 was his only bad year when he gave up 30+ homeruns.

He has been beyond dominate so far in the playoffs:

4-0, 30 Innings, 35 K's, 2 BB's and an ERA of 1.61.

Beckett is a stud. Sometimes a young guy with great stuff takes some time to come around. This has been the case with Beckett and he's been as good as I've ever seen in the post season. Great deal by Theo to get this guy and anyone who refuses to acknowledge that fact is a damn fool. JMO of course.

Beckett is a stud. Sometimes a young guy with great stuff takes some time to come around. This has been the case with Beckett and he's been as good as I've ever seen in the post season. Great deal by Theo to get this guy and anyone who refuses to acknowledge that fact is a damn fool. JMO of course.

He looks like Roger Clemens did back in the 80's. Beckett pitches like the batter pissed him off.

Last night was a perfect example. Fastball after fastball and then throwing the curve when needed.

He's on top of his game.

Right now, Beckett is lights out nobody can touch him. If he keeps it up I willhave no issue acknowledging him as a reat pitcher, but tome it takes more than a season to proe you belong in the same sentence with the greats.

No doubt he is great in the playoffs, 2003 and this year.

beckett has to have atleast 5 more dominating years before he's ever in the same sentence as Randy or Roger. 10-12 more dominating years before he's on their level.

playoff wise he's probably better than both of them though, ironically.

Beckett has been better than both of them in his post season career.

Not a personal attack but you are a joke sometimes. This thread is mainly based on his post season resume and Randy took years to figure things out.

Beckett has been better than both of them in his post season career.

Not a personal attack but you are a joke sometimes. This thread is mainly based on his post season resume and Randy took years to figure things out.

"not a personal attack" but i am a joke? kiss my ass GS.

once randy figured things out he became the most dominant lefty possibly of all time and killed my Yanks in the 01 playoffs

Again, I gave Kudos to Smoltz but Becketts numbers are still superior....we both know Smoltz's stats are slightly misconstrued due to his innings as a 1 inning reliever.

2.72 ERA as a starter with a 13-4 record in 188.2 IP

1.96 ERA with 2 wins and a save as a closer in 18.1 IP

slightly, sure.

doesn't matter to me because it's still a longer resume than Beckett.

I just read on Fox Sports that Josh Beckett is now #1 alltime post season leader in opponents batting ave. (min. 40 innings) . He limits opponents to a .159 BA passing Earnshaw (.174) , Rivera (.176) and Sandy Koufax (.180). Beckett is also #1 in OBP limiting opponents to 0.209. Rivera is next at .211 with Koufax 3rd with 0.223.

I just read on Fox Sports that Josh Beckett is now #1 alltime post season leader in opponents batting ave. (min. 40 innings) . He limits opponents to a .159 BA passing Earnshaw (.174) , Rivera (.176) and Sandy Koufax (.180). Beckett is also #1 in OBP limiting opponents to 0.209. Rivera is next at .211 with Koufax 3rd with 0.223.

its Foxsports take it for what its worth ;)

wonder where my boy "Big Six" is on that list

Archived