my 2008 mock draft

Pragmatic Bus

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
rlJxNfdrC5A

The kid is clearly REALLY fast. But I don't see any plays here that would differentiate him from Darelle Revis at HB. He's going to have a lot more contact at the pro level - which is to say ANY contact beyond the finger-tackles shown here; particularly if he plays for the Jets. No one on the planet is fast enough to simply run around everyone at the NFL level. If you think by drafting him you'll expect to see these types of plays against teams we seek to leapfrog over - New England, Pittsburgh, etc - you're kidding yourself.

The kid is clearly REALLY fast. But I don't see any plays here that would differentiate him from Darelle Revis at HB. He's going to have a lot more contact at the pro level - which is to say ANY contact beyond the finger-tackles shown here; particularly if he plays for the Jets. No one on the planet is fast enough to simply run around everyone at the NFL level. If you think by drafting him you'll expect to see these types of plays against teams we seek to leapfrog over - New England, Pittsburgh, etc - you're kidding yourself.

how many of his game have u seen?

how many of his game have u seen?

Against NFL talent? The same as you & the rest of the world: zero.

Look - this isn't a knock on McFadden. I just don't think that drafting him will have this effect like planting magic beans. Adrian Peterson has an OUTSTANDING run-blocking OL in front of him. That doesn't make him less talented, but it doesn't mean he would be doing all these great things on the field behind just any OL...like ours.

I'd rather see true studs on the OL and DL and Thomas Jones/Leon than McFadden and more years of all of Jets fandom complaining how the OL isn't opening up holes for our "great" RB.

If we can get ALL of that, then power to us. It is unlikely, though. And dumping $70M+ in contracts on the halfback position is insanity without an OL that will allow their talents to begin to merit that cap space.

he plays in the SEC.

Those are not NFL defenses. Some SEC teams have 1 or 2 players that could step right onto an NFL defense as a starter, but that's it.

I have nothing against the guy. I'm just saying - I saw Peter Warrick rip a new one in just about every team he faced. Looked totally unstoppable - like a grown man playing with children. Then he faced NFL talent & NFL size defenses & he disappeared like an outdoor fart.

No one even knows how much he weighs really. I've seen 205 & I've seen 217. But then I've seen D'Brickashaw Ferguson listed at 308 as well. If McFadden's 205 lbs, he can still make college defenses - SEC defenses - look mighty silly. In the NFL he's not going to face too many 220-lb linebackers who run a 4.8 to 4.9 forty.

Every year I hear about this or that player who's supposed to be the best ___ prospect in the past 10 years. Hell, we went through that ourselves with Ferguson.

Maybe it's just that I don't like the idea of dolling out a $60M contract to any player who's never faced talent at this level before.

Those are not NFL defenses. Some SEC teams have 1 or 2 players that could step right onto an NFL defense as a starter, but that's it.

I have nothing against the guy. I'm just saying - I saw Peter Warrick rip a new one in just about every team he faced. Looked totally unstoppable - like a grown man playing with children. Then he faced NFL talent & NFL size defenses & he disappeared like an outdoor fart.

No one even knows how much he weighs really. I've seen 205 & I've seen 217. But then I've seen D'Brickashaw Ferguson listed at 308 as well. If McFadden's 205 lbs, he can still make college defenses - SEC defenses - look mighty silly. In the NFL he's not going to face too many 220-lb linebackers who run a 4.8 to 4.9 forty.

Every year I hear about this or that player who's supposed to be the best ___ prospect in the past 10 years. Hell, we went through that ourselves with Ferguson.

Maybe it's just that I don't like the idea of dolling out a $60M contract to any player who's never faced talent at this level before.

adrian peterson faced lesser talent

adrian peterson faced lesser talent

What does that have to do with anything? My point is exactly that Peterson wouldn't look so friggin' great if he were on the Jets, and the Jets wouldn't suddenly be this awesome team if we had Peterson.

Our RB would be better. And there would still be nowhere for him to run.

What does that have to do with anything? My point is exactly that Peterson wouldn't look so friggin' great if he were on the Jets, and the Jets wouldn't suddenly be this awesome team if we had Peterson.

Our RB would be better. And there would still be nowhere for him to run.

wait a minute. mcfadden isn't good because he doesn't play in the nfl. and peterson isn't good because he doesn't play for the jets............

:wtf:

wait a minute. mcfadden isn't good because he doesn't play in the nfl. and peterson isn't good because he doesn't play for the jets............

:wtf:

Yeah, sure. That's exactly what I'm saying. Nothing gets by you.

And it was barely 6 months ago that you were also calling Thomas Jones a franchise back. Now 9 games into his Jets career, with Jones still 100% healthy, he's no longer a franchise back & we "need" to dump $60M in cap space on yet another one?

Do you not watch the run-blocking on this line?

Do you not see that even our so-so pass blocking could do with much improvement?

Do you not see how bad the run defense is?

Do you not see how we generate no pass rush?

Do you not see how yet another halfback is going to change none of that?

Do you not see how his contract will be double that of someone of Adalius Thomas' talent, PROVEN production, and obvious immediate impact to this team?

I have absolutely nothing against McFadden & simply think that burning a top 2-3 pick on another halfback means we're going to be another year or two away from a full starting squad that can compete with the types of teams we'll need to beat to get to a superbowl.

Anyone who thinks Adrian Peterson - no matter how talented he clearly is - would have 1000 rushing yards for the Jets after 8 games is living in his own dream world.

If he's available & if we take him, I would want him to be everything he's being made out to be. "I told you so" would bring me no joy.

Yeah, sure. That's exactly what I'm saying. Nothing gets by you.

And it was barely 6 months ago that you were also calling Thomas Jones a franchise back. Now 9 games into his Jets career, with Jones still 100% healthy, he's no longer a franchise back & we "need" to dump $60M in cap space on yet another one?

Do you not watch the run-blocking on this line?

Do you not see that even our so-so pass blocking could do with much improvement?

Do you not see how bad the run defense is?

Do you not see how we generate no pass rush?

Do you not see how yet another halfback is going to change none of that?

Do you not see how his contract will be double that of someone of Adalius Thomas' talent, PROVEN production, and obvious immediate impact to this team?

I have absolutely nothing against McFadden & simply think that burning a top 2-3 pick on another halfback means we're going to be another year or two away from a full starting squad that can compete with the types of teams we'll need to beat to get to a superbowl.

Anyone who thinks Adrian Peterson - no matter how talented he clearly is - would have 1000 rushing yards for the Jets after 8 games is living in his own dream world.

If he's available & if we take him, I would want him to be everything he's being made out to be. "I told you so" would bring me no joy.

when did i call thomas jones a franchise back?

We can fix the run blocking in free agency or in the draft after the 1st round. Unless you want us to take Jake Long in the top 5, it really doesnt make much sense to pass on McFadden because as of this point in time, our run blocking sucks.

We can easily grab McFadden AND improve the run blocking greatly in the upcoming offseason. It does not have to be one or the other.

We can fix the run blocking in free agency or in the draft after the 1st round. Unless you want us to take Jake Long in the top 5, it really doesnt make much sense to pass on McFadden because as of this point in time, our run blocking sucks.

We can easily grab McFadden AND improve the run blocking greatly in the upcoming offseason. It does not have to be one or the other.

eric young is a solid OG

when did i call thomas jones a franchise back?

In a thread that you just bumped. Otherwise I never would have remembered, lol.

Yes every one needs to chill. jets just picked up two players with tons of upside, who are good incstinctive players. it doesn't matter how many picks we have as long as we get the value of the picks. and jets drafted the best value on the board at those picks. they clearly wanted him and targeted him. so they worked aggressively and got the players that they felt had the mostupside. and can fill spots quickly. they just filled three major holes RB, ILB, CB. in three rounds.

if you analize it we should have had high picks because of the talent level that we had. but because jets did so well last year our picks did not reflect the talent need we had. so the jets got the most talented CB. the most talented 3-4 ILB. and acquired a franchise back. in three rounds.

about the lack of picks in second day. justin mccereins, barton, and even hobson could be dealt away to acquire more picks this year and the future.

so have trust in mangini.

:bag:

thomas is a solid running back. thats what i wanted to say but i probably came out too agressive

You said franchise back. You also said we filled the hole at RB.

There is no escape.

Now I could be a real dick and say:

Oh, so even though you just said before this season that Jones was a franchise back, now McFadden is the player is the one who is REALLY a franchise back. And if he doesn't pan out then in week 10 you'll start saying how in 2009 we should draft Chris Wells because HE is the one who is really a franchise back. And so on, and so on. By the time you're done with the Jets, there will be nothing but halfbacks on the roster.

But I wouldn't say that because I am too non-confrontational.

There is no escape.

Oh, so even though you just said before this season that Jones was a franchise back, now McFadden is the player is the one who is REALLY a franchise back. And if he doesn't pan out then in week 10 you'll start saying how in 2009 we should draft Chris Wells because HE is the one who is really a franchise back. And so on, and so on. By the time you're done with the Jets, there will be nothing but halfbacks on the roster.

i kinda agree with everything u said BUT another part of me looks at Thomas age AND thinks maybe this all aint getting fixed this upcoming offseason.

Maybe they should just consider BPA with that 1st pick and if its an RB then so be it

Maybe they can fix the line with later picks and FA

maybe it will take 2 drafts not 1

There is no escape.

:bag:

i kinda agree with everything u said BUT another part of me looks at Thomas age AND thinks maybe this all aint getting fixed this upcoming offseason.

Maybe they should just consider BPA with that 1st pick and if its an RB then so be it

Maybe they can fix the line with later picks and FA

maybe it will take 2 drafts not 1

Since we didn't address the OL at all this year, I don't think we are in a position to groom mid-late round picks in 2008. The state of the OL in the off-season (much like nose tackle) should be looked upon as a state of emergency.

I refuse to look at this one player as the end-all of players to be had. As great as Peterson has looked; as great as Tomlinson & many others have been; complete teams have won superbowls without them & will continue to do so. I'm not saying that any team is better-off without these players. Just that it's not some great tragedy if we fail to pick him. Life will go on, and superbowls will be won by teams without these players.

Chicago went to the SB with the same damn RB we have on our roster right now. The fact that they didn't win it is more a reflection of the guy who handed off to Jones rather than Jones himself & you'd be hard-pressed to find a football fan who thinks otherwise.

Which of the last 6 SB winners in a row had a "you CANNOT pass up on this player with a top 3-5 draft pick" as their primary ball-carrier?

- 2001 Patriots

- 2002 Bucs

- 2003 Patriots

- 2004 Patriots

- 2005 Steelers

- 2006 Colts

The only one in recent memory who drafted a HB that high & reached a SB with him was Baltimore in 2000 & it still took the best defense anyone's had in the past 20 years to do it. They also had elite run blockers like Ogden & Mulitalo; Lewis didn't do it all by himself by waving his elite-prospect-magic-wand.

The Jets can build a superbowl contender without drafting Darren McFadden & handing him a $60M contract.

There is no escape.

Look sperm I agree with everything you are saying regarding Peterson and McFadden. Thats why I don't want us to draft McFadden unless we improve the OL. If we sign Faneca then we should definetly, definetly take McFadden. I dont think TJ has too much left, he cant run away from defenders anymore, he barely could ebfore in fairness. His burst hitting the hole again isn't what it was.

Here has been the story of the NYJ running game this season.

1) We cannot run block

2) Even when we do our RB's do nothing.

Having someone like McFadden in would immediately add a new weapon. TJ would be like our Chester Taylor, get some early carries and mix it up. McFadden is the type of player that when you set him up with good blocking he will go the distance, or at least a heck of a lot further than Jones would.

He would also be an immense threat out of the backfield which IMO would greatly help out Clemens' development. I'm not just talking checkdown help, he has th size,speed and strength to line up and be effective at WR.

Added to all of this, he can throw the ball pretty good.

If we have some beef added to the OL (Like I think we will) we cant pass this up, we just cant IMO!!

Look sperm I agree with everything you are saying regarding Peterson and McFadden. Thats why I don't want us to draft McFadden unless we improve the OL. If we sign Faneca then we should definetly, definetly take McFadden. I dont think TJ has too much left, he cant run away from defenders anymore, he barely could ebfore in fairness. His burst hitting the hole again isn't what it was.

Here has been the story of the NYJ running game this season.

1) We cannot run block

2) Even when we do our RB's do nothing.

Having someone like McFadden in would immediately add a new weapon. TJ would be like our Chester Taylor, get some early carries and mix it up. McFadden is the type of player that when you set him up with good blocking he will go the distance, or at least a heck of a lot further than Jones would.

He would also be an immense threat out of the backfield which IMO would greatly help out Clemens' development. I'm not just talking checkdown help, he has th size,speed and strength to line up and be effective at WR.

Added to all of this, he can throw the ball pretty good.

If we have some beef added to the OL (Like I think we will) we cant pass this up, we just cant IMO!!

you dont want to draft d mac untill we improve our O-Line.

thats like saying dont buy the car unless you buy rims first

Archived