my 2008 mock draft

Pragmatic Bus

Those are not NFL defenses. Some SEC teams have 1 or 2 players that could step right onto an NFL defense as a starter, but that's it.

I have nothing against the guy. I'm just saying - I saw Peter Warrick rip a new one in just about every team he faced. Looked totally unstoppable - like a grown man playing with children. Then he faced NFL talent & NFL size defenses & he disappeared like an outdoor fart.

No one even knows how much he weighs really. I've seen 205 & I've seen 217. But then I've seen D'Brickashaw Ferguson listed at 308 as well. If McFadden's 205 lbs, he can still make college defenses - SEC defenses - look mighty silly. In the NFL he's not going to face too many 220-lb linebackers who run a 4.8 to 4.9 forty.

Every year I hear about this or that player who's supposed to be the best ___ prospect in the past 10 years. Hell, we went through that ourselves with Ferguson.

Maybe it's just that I don't like the idea of dolling out a $60M contract to any player who's never faced talent at this level before.

then who cares who we draft? you could say that about ANY & EVERY player in college.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As for signing Haynesworth I will admit I don't know how great he's been his whole career but besides this year the most I ever heard of the guy was his whole stomping incident. This is one of those times I completely think he's playing for the big paycheck and once it comes he's going to be average.

Every player in college doesn't cost you 3 or 4 other players by not trading down.

Never hand out a $25-30M contract to a rookie when you're too stingy to pick up established, star free agents. That's insanity.

How do you even know someone is willing to give anywhere near value for the pick, or trade for it at all?

I'm just saying you have to take the best available player, and if he is there, he is it. I wouldn't mind trading down for multiple picks, but that doesn't mean someone else is willing and/or has the picks to do it.

How do you even know someone is willing to give anywhere near value for the pick, or trade for it at all?

I'm just saying you have to take the best available player, and if he is there, he is it. I wouldn't mind trading down for multiple picks, but that doesn't mean someone else is willing and/or has the picks to do it.

Exactly, trading down is a lot easier said than done. Also very tough to get the value in return unless a team really really wants a player.

Yeah, sure. That's exactly what I'm saying. Nothing gets by you.

And it was barely 6 months ago that you were also calling Thomas Jones a franchise back. Now 9 games into his Jets career, with Jones still 100% healthy, he's no longer a franchise back & we "need" to dump $60M in cap space on yet another one?

Do you not watch the run-blocking on this line?

Do you not see that even our so-so pass blocking could do with much improvement?

Do you not see how bad the run defense is?

Do you not see how we generate no pass rush?

Do you not see how yet another halfback is going to change none of that?

Do you not see how his contract will be double that of someone of Adalius Thomas' talent, PROVEN production, and obvious immediate impact to this team?

I have absolutely nothing against McFadden & simply think that burning a top 2-3 pick on another halfback means we're going to be another year or two away from a full starting squad that can compete with the types of teams we'll need to beat to get to a superbowl.

Anyone who thinks Adrian Peterson - no matter how talented he clearly is - would have 1000 rushing yards for the Jets after 8 games is living in his own dream world.

If he's available & if we take him, I would want him to be everything he's being made out to be. "I told you so" would bring me no joy.

Thank you!

Against NFL talent? The same as you & the rest of the world: zero.

Look - this isn't a knock on McFadden. I just don't think that drafting him will have this effect like planting magic beans. Adrian Peterson has an OUTSTANDING run-blocking OL in front of him. That doesn't make him less talented, but it doesn't mean he would be doing all these great things on the field behind just any OL...like ours.

I'd rather see true studs on the OL and DL and Thomas Jones/Leon than McFadden and more years of all of Jets fandom complaining how the OL isn't opening up holes for our "great" RB.

If we can get ALL of that, then power to us. It is unlikely, though. And dumping $70M+ in contracts on the halfback position is insanity without an OL that will allow their talents to begin to merit that cap space.

Sperm Edwards.

Internet know-it-all.

Archived