Random views

Scott Dierking

Maybe i'm just a jet homer in this, but why can't we split out Baker? Gates isn't that much more athletic than Baker, they are similar size and what not, you'd think we'd be able to isolate him a bit on a smaller corner, or at least make the defense think about putting a safety or Linebacker on him.

We've seen Baker can make good catches, I am hoping we take more advantage of him all over the field, specifically in the end zone.

Split him out wide? Nah.

How about they continue to improve the front 5 and let him head out on the other side of the line of scrimmage more. I would settle for that.

I had high hopes that Chansi Stuckey could have been a Coles-type WR in the making but at this point, fear he may be one of those unlucky guys who because of injury never get to reach his potential.

Oh I agree. But you can't go into a season relying on a 7th-round, 2nd-year player who just missed his entire rookie season with a torn ACL.

They need another WR. A real one. I don't know that it has to be a stellar one, but someone better than JMac or Brad Smtih.

JMac is gone and Smith, at this point in his career, is not a real WR. He's just an athlete who's practiced the position a lot over the past 16 months.

Just because we don't break the bank on someone doesn't mean I want to stick with either of those two. They're both lousy WR's.

I don't know about paying big bucks now to "groom" someone to replace Coles in two years when he's already groomed. You don't waste talent like that.

To me, the best argument for adding someone like Hackett is if Mangini anticipates Coles being a headache if/when Chad is moved to another team. I don't want a pricey/every-down-money FA to just sit behind Coles for 2 years & be on the field for 1/3 of our offensive sets.

You mention Detroit? Well Detroit WENT with those cheaper options (Furrey, McDonald). Plus they have a specific offense that is designed for mostly 3 & 4 WR sets.

Like I said, he won't be sitting behind anybody. he will play and play a lot. How would a D go about covering Coles, Cotch and Hackett. It would open up all kinds of things for our offence including a deep threat which the other two really aren't. Why in the name of God would we only use a player like that in 1/3 of our offence, we could play mainly from the trips formation.

As for Detroit, well they drafted Calvin Johnson when they already had Furrey and Williams who between them I believe had 200 catches last season, didnt they???

I bet he was more expensive than Hackett would be.

Thats getting off topic though, my point is this offence would be much more formidable with a weapon like Hackett in there as well as Coles and Cotch, it would also really help Clemens out as it adds extra dimensions to the offence.

Oh I agree. But you can't go into a season relying on a 7th-round, 2nd-year player who just missed his entire rookie season with a torn ACL.

They need another WR. A real one. I don't know that it has to be a stellar one, but someone better than JMac or Brad Smtih.

yea-no way can we rely on Chansi-it's a shame really-I don't even know when or how he got hurt this summer-all of a sudden he was IRed...Coles should be shopped for picks and we should see what we can get on the market in terms of a couple of FA wideouts

Archived