Random views

Scott Dierking

-It is all about the team, please. It is awful to read the personal agendas about individual players get in the way of a very nice team performance. Check your GM and coaching hats at the home page this week, this week it is about the TEAM.

-The 2008 season has begun. Let's consider this the preseason with an extended bye week to have FA acquisitions and a draft. Clean slate and time to see what we got.

-It is no mere coincidence that the same time the Jets exhibit an intermediate and deep passing game, that the running game springs to a little life. That was an O-line effort and Thomas Jones charged to the line.

-The way the Steelers were sitting on the intermediate seam routes and jumping them, if other teams are going to copy that defense, the Jets would do weel to add some pump fake, hitch and go routes. That will make them play a little more honest.

-Amazing when you scheme a little bit, how much better your defense can play. The Jets actually confused a good team on defense yesterday. Read that agian, the Jets actually confused a good team on defense yesterday. Some of this sacks were directly attributable to some nice secondary work.

-The spike play has become too much of an automatic sometimes. On the last drive of regulation, there was ZERO need to spike the ball inside of the 10. There was about 27 seconds on the clock. The Jets did npot need to waste a valuable down there. Call a play at the line and get your team together, don't panic.

-How odd is it that with one game where the defense plays nicely, the Jets deem it worthy to gamble on 2 4th and intermediate plays in the opponents territory? This is not second guessing on my part, as I said before both of the calls. Why?

Earlier in the season, they don't gamble on 4th and short plays, when the defense is horrific.

And the plays called on those 2 plays were low return plays. Christ, I would rather see a deep lob with teh chance for a reception, pass interference, or an INT is not even bad there.

Defense bailed coach out there.

-The need for a 3rd receiver on this team is huge and would help this QB out. Brad Smith is a nice athletic talent, but he is not a constant threat. McCareins is McCareins.

With Coles out, or if Cotchery should ever go out, the other receiver becomes totally coverable, and there are not many options left.

Bottome line, football was FUN to watch again. That says a lot.

POTW NOM.

The spike pissed me off as well. Totally unnecessary waste of a play. Even if they thought there wasn't enough time to just line up (which is disturbing b/c there was enough time), why did they not have a play ready to go if the prior one was successful? Three shots at the endzone is better than two shots.

-The 2008 season has begun. Let's consider this the preseason with an extended bye week to have FA acquisitions and a draft. Clean slate and time to see what we got.

Is this the height of delusional Jet fan thinking?

The Jets have shat the bed for two and a half months, fell out of contention by Columbus Day before the leaves even fell off the trees, but now it's time to consider this the preseason 2008?

I'm not buying that.

One solid effort by the D, and finally showing enough brains to give TJ the ball in the second half illustrates how pathetic this team has been for the first ten weeks.

At what point does the 2008 season become the preseason for 2009?

Is this the height of delusional Jet fan thinking?

The Jets have shat the bed for two and a half months, fell out of contention by Columbus Day before the leaves even fell off the trees, but now it's time to consider this the preseason 2008?

I'm not buying that.

One solid effort by the D, and finally showing enough brains to give TJ the ball in the second half illustrates how pathetic this team has been for the first ten weeks.

At what point does the 2008 season become the preseason for 2009?

He didn't say that the Jets were going to be good next year. I think what he was saying is that because of the record, this year is about next year.

Makes sense to me.

Scott great post. I was screaming about downing the ball when he did it. Pass on 1st down into the end zone. There was enough time. Get an incomplete or a TD. They had a timeout I believe and could have run or passed on 2nd down.

But no complaints, Kellen drove them down the field. At this point it is just about getting him some experience. That delay of game was costly as well.

Was is me or did the Jets run a platoon at Left Guard yesterday? I swear Adrian Clarke seemed to take only half the snaps. I didn't check the morning papers, did anyone write on this or provide an explanation?

Scott great post. I was screaming about downing the ball when he did it. Pass on 1st down into the end zone. There was enough time. Get an incomplete or a TD. They had a timeout I believe and could have run or passed on 2nd down.

But no complaints, Kellen drove them down the field. At this point it is just about getting him some experience. That delay of game was costly as well.

Was is me or did the Jets run a platoon at Left Guard yesterday? I swear Adrian Clarke seemed to take only half the snaps. I didn't check the morning papers, did anyone write on this or provide an explanation?

Will Montgomery played the rest of the snaps. I'd like to see him get a lot more playing time against the Cowboys.

The way the Steelers were sitting on the intermediate seam routes and jumping them, if other teams are going to copy that defense, the Jets would do weel to add some pump fake, hitch and go routes. That will make them play a little more honest.

They're going to build on the 10 - 15 yd pass plays until they can burn other D's good on the blitzes. They'll back off the line then too.

what had me confused is why our OC and coaching staff in general hasn't taken the time to implement any set up screens to offset the pass rushes we've been seeing this year? Take advantage of a weak spot in our game and make it a positive-both Thomas Jones and Leon Washington are good pass catchers, we shoould let them unleash the dogs of war and drop a few screens over their heads. I don't think I've seen us use a classic screen pass all year.Also, when are we going to finally abandon that floater pass to the EZ that never works?

Will Montgomery played the rest of the snaps. I'd like to see him get a lot more playing time against the Cowboys.

yea and Mangini mentioned it on his post game-it was good to see the likes of David Bowens Mike DeVito and Montgomery. Also, Abram Elam 3rd game-3rd game in a row of making a boneheaded penalty/play

yea and Mangini mentioned it on his post game-it was good to see the likes of David Bowens Mike DeVito and Montgomery. Also, Abram Elam 3rd game-3rd game in a row of making a boneheaded penalty/play

It would be nice to see Montgomery emerge as a solid player because that may reduce the "must have" items on the off season shopping list. I actually like Elam and he looks like he could be a keeper with a little experience, but the guy seems to be devoid of common sense.

It would be nice to see Montgomery emerge as a solid player because that may reduce the "must have" items on the off season shopping list. I actually like Elam and he looks like he could be a keeper with a little experience, but the guy seems to be devoid of common sense.

nice way of saying he's stupid

He didn't say that the Jets were going to be good next year. I think what he was saying is that because of the record, this year is about next year.

Makes sense to me.

It doesnt make sense to me. The CS got the players to play one game, halfway through the year, and now it's about next year?

You can put lipstick on a pig for one Sunday, but it's still a pig.

SFJ, good points about using the screen passes.

Yes it was - but Leon needs to learn to catch the ball before running with it. Or at least catch and run simultaneously.

also, that lining up 8 yards behind center and running it every time is getting ridiculous-Jones has to make an 11 yard run to gain 3 and everybody knows we run out of that formation 75% of the time-at least

It doesnt make sense to me. The CS got the players to play one game, halfway through the year, and now it's about next year?

I don't think you are getting the point. I am pretty sure he is not saying the foundation is in place. It's just that there is nothing to play for this year. So it is time to see what they have as they build for next year. Nobody is saying that they won't suck next year.

Regardless Mangini is going to be a good coach. He has had a bad year but he has my full support. The players are playing hard. The coaches, Mangini especially, has had made many decisions that were terrible. But he is in his mid 30's. It is a process for him as well.

He has to learn from it and get better. I like his chances.

I don't think you are getting the point. I am pretty sure he is not saying the foundation is in place. It's just that there is nothing to play for this year. So it is time to see what they have as they build for next year. Nobody is saying that they won't suck next year.

Regardless Mangini is going to be a good coach. He has had a bad year but he has my full support. The players are playing hard. The coaches, Mangini especially, has had made many decisions that were terrible. But he is in his mid 30's. It is a process for him as well.

Well, we'll have to see what kind of tc he runs next year, what changes are made to the CS, which FAs are signed, whether the locker room gets on the same page as the CS for an entire season, and whether the team shows up to play starting in week one, not week ten.

We'll see...

ecurb in the game thread was killing us about Mangini Max-be glad you missed it

Well, we'll have to see what kind of tc he runs next year, what changes are made to the CS, which FAs are signed, whether the locker room gets on the same page as the CS for an entire season, and whether the team shows up to play starting in week one, not week ten.

We'll see...

The solution is simple. The Jets are much better after the bye. So they should run a tough camp again and then lobby the league for a week one bye.

They will be unstoppable!

C'mon Cane, you know better than this.

My point is that the bye week serves a soul cleansing, clean slate experience.

The bulk of this year is built towards gaining whatever (if any) momentum towards next year, finding out about who is playing and who is cashing a check, and what, if any gems you have.

Nothing more than that.

If I am coach of the team, I say forget what has happened and we move forward. Build something here. Taking notes for next year.

Don't read anything more than that into it.

My point is that the bye week serves a soul cleansing, clean slate experience.

The bulk of this year is built towards gaining whatever (if any) momentum towards next year,

sd:

We'll have to agree to disagree on the clean slate thing. I will continue to judge the team's progress on the body of work- not one game coming off the bye.

I thought they had a strong second half last season following the bye, that was supposed to be a momentum builder? How did that work out?

I will have no false hopes about this CS until they at least show they will be less stubborn with the team personnel/operation, willing to learn from their mistakes, and not be outcoached on a consistent basis.

Until then, I'll continue to be cautious about their chances for success.

sd:

We'll have to agree to disagree on the clean slate thing. I will continue to judge the team's progress on the body of work- not one game coming off the bye.

I thought they had a strong second half last season following the bye, that was supposed to be a momentum builder? How did that work out?

I will have no false hopes about this CS until they at least show they will be less stubborn with the team personnel/operation, willing to learn from their mistakes, and not be outcoached on a consistent basis.

Until then, I'll continue to be cautious about their chances for success.

Who is treating 1 game as a "body of work".

Listen, when you have nothing to realistically play for, you set psycholigical motivators for a team.

Right now, I believe that if the team plays better down the stretch, it serves as a small springboard for futire successes. They learn alittle bit about themselves.

No broad sweeping prononcements here. Nothing erases what happened pre-bye.

But you start building back the blocks of a foundation somewhere. Lets hope that we place some of those blocks in these last 6 games.

That does not make the house complete, I know. But yopu have to start somewhere.

Just like your beloved Hurricanses ;)

"-It is no mere coincidence that the same time the Jets exhibit an intermediate and deep passing game, that the running game springs to a little life. That was an O-line effort and Thomas Jones charged to the line. "

The flea flicker and the early PI call forced Pitt to cover the deep routes. A major improvment, and Pennington simply cannot make those throws.

POTW NOM.

The spike pissed me off as well. Totally unnecessary waste of a play. Even if they thought there wasn't enough time to just line up (which is disturbing b/c there was enough time), why did they not have a play ready to go if the prior one was successful? Three shots at the endzone is better than two shots.

The Jets also ended regulation with 1 TO left, which was a mistake. Clemens will learn that. And he'll learn to look up at the play clock in the endzone, so the DOG penalty will be a thing of the apst. Those improvement will come the more he plays.

-It is all about the team, please. It is awful to read the personal agendas about individual players get in the way of a very nice team performance. Check your GM and coaching hats at the home page this week, this week it is about the TEAM.

-It is no mere coincidence that the same time the Jets exhibit an intermediate and deep passing game, that the running game springs to a little life. That was an O-line effort and Thomas Jones charged to the line.

-The way the Steelers were sitting on the intermediate seam routes and jumping them, if other teams are going to copy that defense, the Jets would do weel to add some pump fake, hitch and go routes. That will make them play a little more honest.

-Amazing when you scheme a little bit, how much better your defense can play. The Jets actually confused a good team on defense yesterday. Read that agian, the Jets actually confused a good team on defense yesterday. Some of this sacks were directly attributable to some nice secondary work.

-The spike play has become too much of an automatic sometimes. On the last drive of regulation, there was ZERO need to spike the ball inside of the 10. There was about 27 seconds on the clock. The Jets did npot need to waste a valuable down there. Call a play at the line and get your team together, don't panic.

-How odd is it that with one game where the defense plays nicely, the Jets deem it worthy to gamble on 2 4th and intermediate plays in the opponents territory? This is not second guessing on my part, as I said before both of the calls. Why?

Earlier in the season, they don't gamble on 4th and short plays, when the defense is horrific.

And the plays called on those 2 plays were low return plays. Christ, I would rather see a deep lob with teh chance for a reception, pass interference, or an INT is not even bad there.

Defense bailed coach out there.

-The need for a 3rd receiver on this team is huge and would help this QB out. Brad Smith is a nice athletic talent, but he is not a constant threat. McCareins is McCareins.

With Coles out, or if Cotchery should ever go out, the other receiver becomes totally coverable, and there are not many options left.

Bottome line, football was FUN to watch again. That says a lot.

Great post as always Scott. I've already made my feelings clear on the 3rd WR position. D.J Hackett will be available in the off-season and I would be incredibly dissapointed if we didn't go after him.

The playcalling in the red-zone was horrendous to say the least. Why did we keep going after Smith? Single coverage or not he should not be your goaline option with the game on the line. What was wrong with Chris Baker in and around there??

The 4th down play-calls were terrible, I am seriously curious as to what the Hell Schotty was thinking at a lot of times yesterday, the first drive he was great, with the Flicker and the PA TD, but after that he was really bad.

Great post as always Scott. I've already made my feelings clear on the 3rd WR position. D.J Hackett will be available in the off-season and I would be incredibly dissapointed if we didn't go after him.

The playcalling in the red-zone was horrendous to say the least. Why did we keep going after Smith? Single coverage or not he should not be your goaline option with the game on the line. What was wrong with Chris Baker in and around there??

The 4th down play-calls were terrible, I am seriously curious as to what the Hell Schotty was thinking at a lot of times yesterday, the first drive he was great, with the Flicker and the PA TD, but after that he was really bad.

Hackett's going to get #2 money if he has a few more good weeks like this. He's starting right now; don't see why he would take #3 money (and pay state income tax that he doesn't pay in Seattle) to be demoted to #3 on the Jets. Not saying it would be a bad move, but if we're going to use him as a #3 (sometimes use him, sometimes use a TE), we're better off going for a cheaper option & spending that $ on the lines. Hard to know exactly but I bet SOME team gives him the same contract that we gave Cotchery. I wanted MacDonald last year; he was DIRT CHEAP (<$1M/yr) & perfect for what we need. If we're going to do a LOT of 3-wide sets, then no sense in price-shopping.

Maybe i'm just a jet homer in this, but why can't we split out Baker? Gates isn't that much more athletic than Baker, they are similar size and what not, you'd think we'd be able to isolate him a bit on a smaller corner, or at least make the defense think about putting a safety or Linebacker on him.

We've seen Baker can make good catches, I am hoping we take more advantage of him all over the field, specifically in the end zone.

Maybe i'm just a jet homer in this, but why can't we split out Baker? Gates isn't that much more athletic than Baker, they are similar size and what not, you'd think we'd be able to isolate him a bit on a smaller corner, or at least make the defense think about putting a safety or Linebacker on him.

We've seen Baker can make good catches, I am hoping we take more advantage of him all over the field, specifically in the end zone.

I don't know Gates' "40 time" (lol) but I think he's more than nominally faster than Baker. The "40 time" thing is a joke; he definitely plays faster. I like Baker, but I don't think he's fast enough to line up as flanker nor if he makes sharp enough cuts to play slot. He seems to be in the proper position. JMO.

Hackett's going to get #2 money if he has a few more good weeks like this. He's starting right now; don't see why he would take #3 money (and pay state income tax that he doesn't pay in Seattle) to be demoted to #3 on the Jets. Not saying it would be a bad move, but if we're going to use him as a #3 (sometimes use him, sometimes use a TE), we're better off going for a cheaper option & spending that $ on the lines. Hard to know exactly but I bet SOME team gives him the same contract that we gave Cotchery. I wanted MacDonald last year; he was DIRT CHEAP (<$1M/yr) & perfect for what we need. If we're going to do a LOT of 3-wide sets, then no sense in price-shopping.

The thing is with Hackett is that he would offer this team #2 WR ability whether it's from the slot or not. We could open up the playbook more and use a lot more trips sets. After watching the game yesterday it really was clear to me how much an extra weapon at WR would help Clemens. Not only that, but Coles isn't getting any younger, Hackett could fill his place when he leaves and we'd still have a pretty decent WR partnership. I've been watching a lot of the guy and he really has impressed me, he doesn't drop passes and he can stretch the field, things our WR's have been struggling with. Look at how much extra weapons help QB's. Look at Brady in NE, Manning in Indy or even Kitna in Detroit. Teams would have a lot of trouble trying to stop an offence with Coles, Cotchery and Hackett. You say we should go after cheaper options, well I disagree totally. We cannot continue to settle with this mediocrity at the WR position, J-Mac and Smith? Please.

Doesn't Hackett have a house in Florida like Jeter? Why would he have to pay state income tax?

I'm with Sperm on Baker. He is a solid receiving TE, but I don't think he has the speed to work from outside. I think if we have to look for a non-wr solution in house I'd try Leon. He short, but he can catch and can provide matchup problems. He has shown some concentration problems catching passes, but he can get downfield and has the added benefit of coming out of the backfield in motion. For an example, look to the big play in the Giant pre-season game.

The thing is with Hackett is that he would offer this team #2 WR ability whether it's from the slot or not. We could open up the playbook more and use a lot more trips sets. After watching the game yesterday it really was clear to me how much an extra weapon at WR would help Clemens. Not only that, but Coles isn't getting any younger, Hackett could fill his place when he leaves and we'd still have a pretty decent WR partnership. I've been watching a lot of the guy and he really has impressed me, he doesn't drop passes and he can stretch the field, things our WR's have been struggling with. Look at how much extra weapons help QB's. Look at Brady in NE, Manning in Indy or even Kitna in Detroit. Teams would have a lot of trouble trying to stop an offence with Coles, Cotchery and Hackett. You say we should go after cheaper options, well I disagree totally. We cannot continue to settle with this mediocrity at the WR position, J-Mac and Smith? Please.

JMac is gone and Smith, at this point in his career, is not a real WR. He's just an athlete who's practiced the position a lot over the past 16 months.

Just because we don't break the bank on someone doesn't mean I want to stick with either of those two. They're both lousy WR's.

I don't know about paying big bucks now to "groom" someone to replace Coles in two years when he's already groomed. You don't waste talent like that.

To me, the best argument for adding someone like Hackett is if Mangini anticipates Coles being a headache if/when Chad is moved to another team. I don't want a pricey/every-down-money FA to just sit behind Coles for 2 years & be on the field for 1/3 of our offensive sets.

You mention Detroit? Well Detroit WENT with those cheaper options (Furrey, McDonald). Plus they have a specific offense that is designed for mostly 3 & 4 WR sets.

I'm with Sperm on Baker. He is a solid receiving TE, but I don't think he has the speed to work from outside. I think if we have to look for a non-wr solution in house I'd try Leon. He short, but he can catch and can provide matchup problems. He has shown some concentration problems catching passes, but he can get downfield and has the added benefit of coming out of the backfield in motion. For an example, look to the big play in the Giant pre-season game.

I don't know that speed is as necessary as his body type. I've seen gates do the 5 yard in where the corner is guarding him well, but rivers throws behind him a bit so he can throw his butt into the CB. KC is pretty accruate, and that doesn't seem to be the thoughest throw.

I've seen this play so many times, and it seems to work about 80% of the time. Not sure why some teams ignore it?

JMac is gone and Smith, at this point in his career, is not a real WR. He's just an athlete who's practiced the position a lot over the past 16 months.

Just because we don't break the bank on someone doesn't mean I want to stick with either of those two. They're both lousy WR's.

I don't know about paying big bucks now to "groom" someone to replace Coles in two years when he's already groomed. You don't waste talent like that.

To me, the best argument for adding someone like Hackett is if Mangini anticipates Coles being a headache if/when Chad is moved to another team. I don't want a pricey/every-down-money FA to just sit behind Coles for 2 years & be on the field for 1/3 of our offensive sets.

You mention Detroit? Well Detroit WENT with those cheaper options (Furrey, McDonald). Plus they have a specific offense that is designed for mostly 3 & 4 WR sets.

I had high hopes that Chansi Stuckey could have been a Coles-type WR in the making but at this point, fear he may be one of those unlucky guys who because of injury never get to reach his potential.

Archived