ARod could make $30 million in incentives

NIGHT STALKER

The Yankees and Alex Rodriguez have agreed on a $30 million marketing package that could raise the total value of his new contract to $305 million over 10 years.

Under the agreement, Rodriguez would receive $6 million each for tying the home run levels of Willie Mays (660), Babe Ruth (714), Hank Aaron (755) and Barry Bonds (762), and an additional $6 million for breaking Bonds' record. Technically, it's illegal to tie incentive clauses to such statistics as home runs, but the Yankees have worked around that by declaring reaching said marks as historic events, enabling Rodriguez to receive the added money in exchange for additional personal appearances and signed memorabilia for the club.

And don't think for a second this all about ARod...Yanks realize the publicity and perks that go along with this as well.

The Yankees and Alex Rodriguez have agreed on a $30 million marketing package that could raise the total value of his new contract to $305 million over 10 years.

Under the agreement, Rodriguez would receive $6 million each for tying the home run levels of Willie Mays (660), Babe Ruth (714), Hank Aaron (755) and Barry Bonds (762), and an additional $6 million for breaking Bonds' record. Technically, it's illegal to tie incentive clauses to such statistics as home runs, but the Yankees have worked around that by declaring reaching said marks as historic events, enabling Rodriguez to receive the added money in exchange for additional personal appearances and signed memorabilia for the club.

And don't think for a second this all about ARod...Yanks realize the publicity and perks that go along with this as well.

The Yankees got taken to the cleaners once again by Scot Boras. Question his methods all you like, but in the end he got his client the $30 mil per season he was wanting all along. No way he expected anyone to go $350 as reported...he just knew that if he started there, he'd end up around $300 and it looks like he'll finish up at $305....way to take a hard line Cash/Stein. Show A-Rod and his agent who's boss...lol

The Yankees got taken to the cleaners once again by Scot Boras. Question his methods all you like, but in the end he got his client the $30 mil per season he was wanting all along. No way he expected anyone to go $350 as reported...he just knew that if he started there, he'd end up around $300 and it looks like he'll finish up at $305....way to take a hard line Cash/Stein. Show A-Rod and his agent who's boss...lol

Thank You....finally someone see's through the Yanks media induced BS that ARod came crawling back and Hank got him on the Yankees terms.......Boras is a genius and he played Hank AND more importantly the media like a violen.

I guess A-Rod has no limits to his greed and desire for money. He should be like Torre and not play or coach for incentives!

Right. Isn't it "insulting" to have money tied to incentives?

How is this Boras holding up the Yanks? The Yanks will gladly pay that money if he breaks those records. If he doesn't then **** him.

Right. Isn't it "insulting" to have money tied to incentives?

How is this Boras holding up the Yanks? The Yanks will gladly pay that money if he breaks those records. If he doesn't then **** him.

Absolutely but why the need to try and play it off in the press as if they crushed Boras and did the contract on their terms? It was a win-win for both parties but only Hank felt the need to try and state that they stuck to their guns on this and it was ARod and Boras who caved.

The correct line would have been that BOTH parties came to their senses. The Yanks have a huge win here if Alex threatens the HR record in pinstripes and at the end of the day Boras got Alex to opt out AND get his 30 mill per.

Absolutely but why the need to try and play it off in the press as if they crushed Boras and did the contract on their terms? It was a win-win for both parties but only Hank felt the need to try and state that they stuck to their guns on this and it was ARod and Boras who caved.

The correct line would have been that BOTH parties came to their senses. The Yanks have a huge win here if Alex threatens the HR record in pinstripes and at the end of the day Boras got Alex to opt out AND get his 30 mill per.

Well, a Steinbrenner being an ass and trying to manipulate the press isn't really news. Isn't the deal they took less than the Yankees pre-opt out offer? Or was that just conjecture in the press?

Well, a Steinbrenner being an ass and trying to manipulate the press isn't really news. Isn't the deal they took less than the Yankees pre-opt out offer? Or was that just conjecture in the press?

They were rumored to be prepared to offer a 5 year extension at 30 million per.

That would have been added to the 3 years he had left at 27 mill per with Texas paying 21 mill of it. So Yanks initial offer would have resulted in 8 yrs - 231 mill with the Yanks paying 210 mill of the contract.(Texas 21 mill)..... ARod now has 10yrs at 275 with a chance for 305. Not much fifference except ARod has 2 extra years at a crazy salary and the Yanks lose the Texas money that made him such a bargain for the Yanks b4 the opt out.

The Yankees have lots of money. They overpay all the time. They overpaid and tried to spin it like he came crawling back. At the end of the day I really don't care. The lineup is better with him in it.

End of story.

We have a winner! The way I look at it Max, hey, it's not my money. If the Yanks want to go out and spend the money, more power to them. Must hate being a fan of a team that doesn't.

Mickey Mantle has 7 WS rings...he played 18 years with the Yanks. That means he didn't win in 11 of those years. I think chances are good that the Yanks win one (or more) in the 10 years ARod has on his contract.

I'll bet the farm the Yanks win a title before the Jets do. At least the Yanks are trying to win it all...after this season with the Jets, I have no idea what direction they're going. :confused:

Maybe I'm delusional, but the Yankees stand to make a lot more than 30 million off Arod if he breaks hits those marks. They will be in a new ballpark and the marketing for this record chase will be unlike the one Barroid got. If he breaks the record, the Yankees will pocket a LOT more than 30 million they are handing him. Am I wrong ?

Maybe I'm delusional, but the Yankees stand to make a lot more than 30 million off Arod if he breaks hits those marks. They will be in a new ballpark and the marketing for this record chase will be unlike the one Barroid got. If he breaks the record, the Yankees will pocket a LOT more than 30 million they are handing him. Am I wrong ?

No, I said as much in another post...Yanks aren't stupid...they know a cash cow when they see one.

Absolutely. Win-Win situation that should have been done without all the drama though it gave us something to talk about. The question is can Barton root for the guy for the next decade?;)

Archived