Lessons Learned

Maxman

By Tyson Rauch

Lessons Learned

Posted at 12:24 am in Featured Editorials, Tyson Rauch by Max

jnlogo.gifBy Tyson Rauch

After 12 weeks of the NFL season every team has gone through their ups and downs and are finally showing their true colors. After a Thanksgiving Day loss to the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Jets are now 2-9 and hopes of salvaging the season are falling to the wayside. As the Jets continue their descent lets look back at some possible lessons learned from the first 3 quarters of the season.

#1 My Way or the Highway: Coach Eric Mangini will continue to implement his systems and strategies regardless of the personnel on his team. Mangini

Johnson must spend some of his money this offseason if he doesn't want to see his coach and GM get run out of town before the 2009 season.

And if he doesn't want to see his fanbase dissappear. The fans already sell their tickets when the season goes in the crapper, refusing to spend any money is a surefire way to send the entire franchise in the crapper long term, why gamble with having fans left if you do that?

I really hope Woody is not just cheap but rather has just been looking for the right playeres and personnel to spend money on. Because...if it is the former we are in really big trouble.

Good job Tyson, an honest, sobering evaluation about the state of the Jets without brutal attacks, name calling and biased criticism of young players without a body of work to fairly critique. See Jets fans, it can be done.

Nice read Tyson, although I never thought I would see your name and sobering used in the same sentence. :P

By Tyson Rauch

Lessons Learned

jnlogo.gifBy Tyson Rauch

After 12 weeks of the NFL season every team has gone through their ups and downs and are finally showing their true colors. After a Thanksgiving Day loss to the Dallas Cowboys, the New York Jets are now 2-9 and hopes of salvaging the season are falling to the wayside. As the Jets continue their descent lets look back at some possible lessons learned from the first 3 quarters of the season.

#1 My Way or the Highway: Coach Eric Mangini will continue to implement his systems and strategies regardless of the personnel on his team. Mangini

By Tyson Rauch

Lessons Learned

jnlogo.gifBy Tyson Rauch

#1 My Way or the Highway: Coach Eric Mangini will continue to implement his systems and strategies regardless of the personnel on his team. Mangini’s rebuilding of the Jets has long-term goals and is willing to endure short term speed bumps. This plan looks to take five years to complete, the only question is will “Mangenious” be around to complete it?

You make a great point here, I think it was einstien who defined insanity as doing the same thing over and over again and expecting diferrent results. We do not have the personnel for the 3-4 it may have made sense to work with what he had until he could get the players for his system.

#2 No more Mr. Nice Guy: Chad Pennington is no longer the franchise quarterback of the New York Jets. Over the years Chad has given his heart and soul to the Jets organization but unfortunately his body could not handle the grind of the NFL. In addition to Pennington’s body wearing down, his arm strength limitations could not beat the New Age NFL defenses leaving him a very strong backup quarterback at best. Here is hoping Chad gets a fresh start somewhere else next year where he can be an asset to a winning franchise.

Disagree with your assessment of Chad's Body nbot being able to handle the NFL grind. Two rotator cuff surgeries on the same arm would adversly affect any QB. That description is better suited for a John Abraham. I echo your sentiments regarding cCP finding a new home where he can be an asset. Chad is a nice guy, I wish him nothing but the best. We have had a couple of good years with him at the helm

#3 New Leader of the Pack: For the past three years Jonathan Vilma was the leader of the Jets defense both on and off of the field. Jonathan endured a season ending injury, forcing rookie David Harris into his role. The results have exceeded expectations and it appears likely there is a new sheriff in town with Harris taking over the role of power and playmaker on the Jets defense. Mr. Vilma will be finding a new role on the Jets or a new franchise to play for.

Picking a defense that does not suit your best defensive player silly. What this team needs is an edge rusher that people have to game plan for. We do not have that guy on defense not say that vilma was but we have not addressed this glaring need. Harris is a great pick but I think we had greater needs at that time. Here is hoping that the Jets can find a role for him or he can find a place where his skills are appreciated.

#4 Just Say No: In the past 2 years Coach Mangini has tried a revolving door approach with his linebacker platoons incorporating special team players into defensive schemes. This strategy has failed as players like Matt Chatham and Brad Kassell continue to come up short when it comes to making plays. There are reasons why individuals are labeled “special teams players” and Coach Mangini should realize this.

See response to point 1

#5 Numero Uno: Coming into this season the Jets wide receiving corps was considered to be a strength of the team. Upon further review the Jets have one legitimate go to guy in Laveranues Coles, followed by a nice second level complimentary receiver in Jerricho Cotchery. After Cotchery the Jets mix and match group of receivers either drop too many passes (McCareins), need substantial development (Brad Smith) or need to get healthy (Stuckey). You do not need an all star cast for a wide receiving corp (see the Packers) but you do need guys that understand the position and what it takes to be successful.

With the exception of JMac I like the Jets receiveing corps. We knew that B. Smith was a project when we drafted him so I will give him a break. The only thing that concerns me with him is that the Jets continue to use him on gimicky plays. Find out if the kid can be a receiver, let him focus on that and special teams where he excels. What is most troubling is the Jets inablity to get the ball to the TE. Baker can catch, it was good to see him more active in the offense against the Steelers but he needs to be a regular part of the game plan.

#6 Money Talks: Be weary of players that have not accomplished much in the NFL prior to putting up big numbers in their contract year. Both Bryan Thomas and Jerricho Cotchery were given substantial contracts after having their first “big” year. Since the contracts have been signed, the productivity has gone down. Coincidence?

I will give Cotchery a break this year our o-line play and our QB play have been less than stellar. We have the 29th ranked offense in the league you wold have to expect that his production should be down. Spot on about Thomas

#7 Bend it like Beckham: Coming into this season the New York Jets kicking game was considered to be above average. Well after 12 weeks this appears to not be the case as the unit has struggled. Punter Ben Graham is shanking too many punts, leaving the defense in vulnerable positions. The field position battle is crucial for successful teams and this area needs to be re-evaluated. Place kicker Mike Nugent has struggled as well with several missed kicks at crucial times changing momentum in games. Granted Mr. Nugent improved his kickoffs, which was a problem last year, but kudos are not given out for accomplishing what you are getting paid to do.

I do not think our kicking game was above average coming into this year. Nuge has not been the hallmark of consitency since coming into the league. I like graham however, he has struggled this year. But I think graham has a strong leg and can turn it around.

#8 Patience is a Virtue: The New York Jets have handed over the quarterback duties to 2nd year quarterback Kellen Clemens. As with every other young quarterback Kellen is going to endure substantial growing pains as he goes through the NFL learning curve. There will be highs and lows but it is going to take game experience to truly identify the type of player Kellen will be. Unless the Jets are willing to bring in a veteran quarterback with a championship pedigree sit back and relax Jets fans, success will not come overnight.

If you define success by SB Championship then Jets fans have the patience of Job. I think Sucess has not come since 1969 much less overninght...

#9 Same old Jets…fans: Over the years Jets fans have been labeled many things; obnoxious, angry, negative, skeptical, pathetic. There could be a case made that Jets fans often act like the deplorable Detroit Lion fan base. Once again this year Gang Green fans are showing their true colors. From cheering a Chad Pennington injury, to selling their tickets to opposing fans in embarrassing numbers. Now they are attacking a second year quarterback with three games experience. Where does it end Jets fans?

I bet these are the same folks that were screaming for chad to be benched and the same fans that were happy that mangini was hired and have turned on him as well. Some jet fans should have leg cramps for jumping on and off bandwagons so much.

#10 Money talks: Since taking over the Jets Woody Johnson has been successful at doing one thing…making money. Increased ticket prices and increased game day costs while conservatively spending on front office staffs and personnel. There have been several rumblings of Mr. Johnson’s frugal nature when it comes to spending on his NFL team, which could be a problem with the Jets having substantial cap space in 2008. Hey Woody you are a team in major NFL market why not act like one?

Amen

My thoughts are above in bold italics. Great read and I agree with most of what you have said. Great Job

Well done, tyson

I agree with this 100%. The Jet ills starts right here at Woody's doorstep. First hindsight is always crystal clear, but hiring Mangini was and is a mistake. We needed and still need a coach and GM that understands football, football operations, how to in the draft and trade, and is a proven winner with a proven record. In my opinion, Woody took the cheap route with this hiring. Or if you are telling the Jet fans he was a good choice (based on what body of work?). If you are telling the Jet Fans that there simply was no one available at the time I can believe that to a point, but look at the record now and another lost season. How many more lost seasons "should" we have? In my opinion, the formula is simple. We need to hire a proven coach that has been to the Super bowl and has won it. We need to give this guy the responsiblity and then get a proven GM in here. I know some of you don't want to hear this and some will say this will prolong the "improvement process", but I say this guy mangini is not the answer. Just take a look at this past Thanksgiving Day. What I saw was a team that was out classed, out played, and out coached. And the head coach on the other side (Dallas) is not a freakin genius (that's been already proven). How in the biggest market, in the biggest game of the year, in front of so many people, play and coach that way....Sleep walking (yet again). Today I am embarassed to be a Jet fan. Woody you should be embarassed too. We are yet again laughing stocks...Thanks Woody, oh and thanks for sending me the bill to keep my name on the freakin wait list. You've got to be on another planet cause I know your not joking.

Luckily, not too many people saw it. The ratings as stated by Mad Dog were 12.1 nationally and only 9.0 in the NYC area. They were stunned that the local ratings were lower for the game than the national ratings.

Well done, tyson

Luckily, not too many people saw it. The ratings as stated by Mad Dog were 12.1 nationally and only 9.0 in the NYC area. They were stunned that the local ratings were lower for the game than the national ratings.

Damn I didn't know that. It is not surprising though all things considered. Sad yes. Shocking no.

Archived