Kellen ripping apart the Miami D...

NIGHT STALKER

HELL YEAHHHHHHH!!!

That boy is a freaking BEAST! We better draft him, and I don't care what anyone says. We need talent and we lack that right now.

McFadden babyyy!!!

As much as I like McFadden, you can bet the bank the Jets will not be drafting him in the first round...too many other holes to fill.

What makes you think that's what he will get????

It's not beyond belief anyway, the guy is that good.

you basically get anywhere from the same deal to a 10% premium from the same pick the year before. a top 3 pick should expect 20M+ in signing bonus before ever stepping on the field.

you basically get anywhere from the same deal to a 10% premium from the same pick the year before. a top 3 pick should expect 20M+ in signing bonus before ever stepping on the field.

I'd trade that pick away just to not have to cough up all that coin on a guy who has proven exactly zero in the NFL. So far, the value in this draft - particularly for a 3-4 defense - seems to start about 5-15 picks later. Comparable usefulness to us and way less cap space. I'd rather use that bonus money on a player who has already shown you what you're going to get at the NFL level. And then relegate Jones to what? He's too crappy of a receiver to be a 3rd down back.

Hard to know. The one thing I wouldn't want to do is cough up all that SB money on someone who's merely good like DRob. $15-20M signing bonuses aren't supposed to be handed around on crap-shoots.

If there is a franchise OL, or DL available there and I mean a Mario Williams type then I would be willing to pick that player. Otherwise trading down would be the better option. Way too many holes to fill on this team right now.

I'd trade that pick away just to not have to cough up all that coin on a guy who has proven exactly zero in the NFL. So far, the value in this draft - particularly for a 3-4 defense - seems to start about 5-15 picks later. Comparable usefulness to us and way less cap space. I'd rather use that bonus money on a player who has already shown you what you're going to get at the NFL level. And then relegate Jones to what? He's too crappy of a receiver to be a 3rd down back.

Hard to know. The one thing I wouldn't want to do is cough up all that SB money on someone who's merely good like DRob. $15-20M signing bonuses aren't supposed to be handed around on crap-shoots.

Good idea, let's save all our cap money and sign bottom of the barrel FAs. Maybe next year we can have $20M of cap space! Yeah!

Good idea, let's save all our cap money and sign bottom of the barrel FAs. Maybe next year we can have $20M of cap space! Yeah!

Who said to do that? The purpose of having cap space is:

1) to use it to bring in better talent

2) to prevent the loss of talent currently on the team

But spending money for the sake of spending money, particularly on a player who's never faced NFL talent yet, is not my idea of great cap mgmt. Pick up high-priced talent; just not from college. I heard all these same things ("sure thing" or "best RB prospect in 15 years" or any number of things) thrown around Reggie Bush. Back in the spring/summer of 2006, so many people here (and some beat writers) were FURIOUS that we didn't give up both our first rounders (and then some) to move up 2 slots so we could give Reggie Bush a $55M contract, have no left tackle, and have no center. And it was "because this team NEEDS a playmaker" back then as well.

What this team needs is an offensive line and a defensive line, a couple of linebackers, and a 2nd CB. We could also use a 3rd WR who can get both open and catch a football.

Yet another RB to split carries 3 ways, and give him $20-25M up front/guaranteed as part of a $50M+ contract, when we just gave Jones $12M up front on a $20M deal, is just about the silliest thing imaginable to do with our cap space. $32M guaranteed and $70M for a McFadden/Jones duo? And do what with a talented Leon Washington - let him rot on the bench or do nothing but return kicks?

What I outlined in the other thread was picking up TWO fa guards (one will be ultra-expensive & the other probably just below BThomas money), & the only starting, true 3-4 NT (who won't be dirt-cheap due to his rarity) to begin with. There are other players as well like Suggs. But if we're unable to trade down, the best value at ~#5-7 may be a 43DE/34OLB hybrid type (which would be silly if we give Suggs big $). The one thing I would NOT want to do with extra cap room is use it up trying to erase mistakes (Jones, Ellis, BThomas) by absorbing accelerated cap hits all at once like some suggest.

Fill in two guard positions in FA, get a NT, and either a real 3-4 DE or OLB. Oh, and get Kerry Rhodes locked up long-term. If those positions are solidified going into the draft, it won't bust our cap, and it won't require trading up with a 2nd-rounder...then by all means pick this kid up.

Keep in mind: if Clemens has a good season in 2008...then in the off-season next year, he'll warrant locking up with a mega-contract like young starting QB's with high potential tend to get. His current contract only runs through 2009 meaning he'll need an extension after the 2008 season. Or find another starting QB again.

sperm - you and i agree completely agree on this. the draft value chart is skewed because it doesn't take into account the cap busting contracts. if the jets get a top 5 pick they should move down 5-10 spots and add anything - a 2nd or 3rd rd pick would be great, even future picks would be great.

sperm - you and i agree completely agree on this. the draft value chart is skewed because it doesn't take into account the cap busting contracts. if the jets get a top 5 pick they should move down 5-10 spots and add anything - a 2nd or 3rd rd pick would be great, even future picks would be great.

I agree with the moving down, if the trade is reasonable. I agree with spending on FAs too, but this regime has shown a much better ability to judge talent out of the draft than in the FA pool. Part of that is probably the nickel and diming, but the way they've chosen FAs I'd hate to be dropping too much $$ there. I hope they were being patien in the FA market and were waiting for the big splurge. Hopefully this off-season. Frankly, I don't think Mangini's leash should be long enough to allow him to continue saving cap space.

I agree with the moving down, if the trade is reasonable. I agree with spending on FAs too, but this regime has shown a much better ability to judge talent out of the draft than in the FA pool. Part of that is probably the nickel and diming, but the way they've chosen FAs I'd hate to be dropping too much $$ there. I hope they were being patien in the FA market and were waiting for the big splurge. Hopefully this off-season. Frankly, I don't think Mangini's leash should be long enough to allow him to continue saving cap space.

Going off the draft chart, the trade could be 'un-reasonable' and still be well worth it. Judging by the talent coming out this year, no one is worth top 5 money. There don't seem to be any sure-fire prospects at any one position, aside from DMC (possibly).

Even if the Jets don't get the value J Johnson deams necessary, they should still get out of the top five. They won't be losing much in the way of talent, but will be saving a ton of money for an equal player.

Hopefully they can use that money on Faneca, but i doubt they will since he isn't in the 'bargain bin'.

Going off the draft chart, the trade could be 'un-reasonable' and still be well worth it. Judging by the talent coming out this year, no one is worth top 5 money. There don't seem to be any sure-fire prospects at any one position, aside from DMC (possibly).

Even if the Jets don't get the value J Johnson deams necessary, they should still get out of the top five. They won't be losing much in the way of talent, but will be saving a ton of money for an equal player.

Hopefully they can use that money on Faneca, but i doubt they will since he isn't in the 'bargain bin'.

There is more to reasonable-ness than the draft chart. It all depends on who is going to be there and who is likely to be there with the picks we get. Saying that you automatically HAVE to move down now is extremely premature.

There is more to reasonable-ness than the draft chart. It all depends on who is going to be there and who is likely to be there with the picks we get. Saying that you automatically HAVE to move down now is extremely premature.

I may agree with you later, but as it stands, no one position is going to fix this team. Getting two first rounders this year, or 3 seconds is much more important than getting an undersized end, or another top 5 tackle.

I think you and i are on the same page, as wants go, i just don't want to see us in the top 5 again, we've come out with average players too many times.

I may agree with you later, but as it stands, no one position is going to fix this team. Getting two first rounders this year, or 3 seconds is much more important than getting an undersized end, or another top 5 tackle.

I think you and i are on the same page, as wants go, i just don't want to see us in the top 5 again, we've come out with average players too many times.

Yep, we're probably on the same page. One thing about this FO is that they are not afraid to target somebody. I'm pretty sure they will decide if the guy they want will be there. IF not, hopefully they will be willing to deal down to get a couple of maybes instead of what they consider sure things (Revis, Harris). They have already proven that they don't mind moving around on draft day.

Archived