HOCKEY EAST

BUM-KNEE

we minutmen wish you werent Umass either.

They made the change in '91 or '92 if I'm not mistaken. The powers that be were nice enough to offer us University of Lowell or University of Massachusetts at Lowell on our diplomas.

Guess which option I took? :)

They made the change in '91 or '92 if I'm not mistaken. The powers that be were nice enough to offer us University of Lowell or University of Massachusetts at Lowell on our diplomas.

Guess which option I took? :)

But Univ. of Mass. looks so much better on the diploma. People still think I went to a good university because it says University of Massachusetts, well people outside of Mass.

suckers.

But Univ. of Mass. looks so much better on the diploma. People still think I went to a good university because it says University of Massachusetts, well people outside of Mass.

suckers.

It was a pride thing for me. I was accepted at UMass and ULowell but made the decision to go to Lowell (why? thats a story for another day). Either way, I also get to tell people I went to UMass!

It was a pride thing for me. I was accepted at UMass and ULowell but made the decision to go to Lowell (why? thats a story for another day). Either way, I also get to tell people I went to UMass!

It had something to do with a female, right? LOL

Well Gainzo, Im sure UMaine will crap the bed in Prov tonight so youre not alone. This year is a nightmare.........

Sorry about the Black Bears. I just got back from the Lowell/UMass game. Lowell scored 2 goals in the 3rd to pull out a 3-1 win.

It was the worst officiated game of hockey I have seen in a long time. The ref was hopeless. At least he was an equal opportunity dumbass.

I'm sure Lil Bit will give you his thoughts about the game.

Sorry about the Black Bears. I just got back from the Lowell/UMass game. Lowell scored 2 goals in the 3rd to pull out a 3-1 win.

It was the worst officiated game of hockey I have seen in a long time. The ref was hopeless. At least he was an equal opportunity dumbass.

I'm sure Lil Bit will give you his thoughts about the game.

Our wonderful ref, John Gravallese, called one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. Its bad enough when he calls bad penalties, but when he misses the blatant, obvious, right in front of his face penalties, I have to question if this guy has what it takes to be an official in a major college hockey league. The only good thing for Gravallese is both teams played like crap for most of the game.

There wasnt good defense. there were few good offensive chances. It looked like 2 teams who would have rather been out drinking than playing hockey. Neither team wanted to win. Lowell was lucky that Umass decided to stop playing defense otherwise we would have witnessed another tie between these 2 sister schools.

The sad thing is the best part of the game was the pee-wee hockey. 10 on 10, kids falling all over the place. Then, the best part... they let the kids throw t-shirts into the crowd. One problem: the kids were so small they couldnt throw the t-shirts over the glass.

other than all that, it was great to meet you gainzo...had a great time!

STANDINGS UPDATE

1.New Hampshire- 14gp-9-4-1-19pts.

Boston College-15gp-7-3-5-19pts.

3.Northeastern-15gp-8-5-2-18pts.

4. UMass Lowell-16gp-6-6-4-16pts.

5. Boston University-15gp-6-6-3-15pts.

6. Providence-13gp-6-5-2-14pts.

7. Vermont-13gp-4-5-4-12pts.

Massachusetts-14gp-4-6-4-12pts.

9. Maine-13gp-4-7-2-10pts.

10. Merrimack-16gp-4-11-1-9pts

so 10 points separates 1st from 10th with anywhere from 11-14 hockey east games remaining (27 league games per team)

Its going to be an interesting race to the finish. Its sad UMASS went from 5th in the country 2 weeks ago to barely hanging onto a playoff spot after this weekend. Toot had better have some answers, and quick.

League games next week:

Vermont at UMass- Friday and Saturday. Big tilt. Tied for 7th. A sweep will vault one team into the thick of a home playoff series while one team will be on the verge of missing the playoffs. Most likely going to be a split.

Prov at Northeastern-fri-- Northeastern at Prov Sat- Providence needs to sweep to gain on the top half of the league. Northeastern can prove they belong.

BU at UNH fri- UNH at BU Sat.- If BU wants to continue to be a force in this league, they need to make a point against UNH. UNH can pull away with a sweep.

BC at Maine fri & sat- Maine needs to take some points to work their way towards the top. BC needs to keep pace with UNH.

Lowell is out of conference against Minnesota-Duluth (8-8-6 overall- 4th in conference) at home in the Tsongas. Only good thing for the River Hawks is Minn-Duluth sucks on the road this season (2-6-1) Good matchup that can build confidence heading into the meat of the schedule.

Merrimack is also out of conference against Brown tomorrow and against Canisius next saturday.

Our wonderful ref, John Gravallese, called one of the worst officiated games I have ever seen. Its bad enough when he calls bad penalties, but when he misses the blatant, obvious, right in front of his face penalties, I have to question if this guy has what it takes to be an official in a major college hockey league. The only good thing for Gravallese is both teams played like crap for most of the game.

There wasnt good defense. there were few good offensive chances. It looked like 2 teams who would have rather been out drinking than playing hockey. Neither team wanted to win. Lowell was lucky that Umass decided to stop playing defense otherwise we would have witnessed another tie between these 2 sister schools.

The sad thing is the best part of the game was the pee-wee hockey. 10 on 10, kids falling all over the place. Then, the best part... they let the kids throw t-shirts into the crowd. One problem: the kids were so small they couldnt throw the t-shirts over the glass.

other than all that, it was great to meet you gainzo...had a great time!

If there weren't kids around us I would have been all over Gravallese with foul language. He flat out sucks.

Nice to meet you tonight. The pee-wee game was hysterical!

With Lowell's stacked home schedule next month I will definitely go to another game this season.

A rare win this year, gotta keep the ball rolling now.

BISHOP, MAINE BLANK PROVIDENCE, 4-0

Ben Bishop makes 41 saves for Black Bears

Box Score - Text Box - Game Sheet

transparent.giftransparent.gif

bishop.jpg

Ben Bishop made 41 saves for the Black Bears

transparent.gif

transparent.giftransparent.giftransparent.giftransparent.gif

PROVIDENCE, R.I. -- The Providence College men's hockey team was defeated, 4-0, by the University of Maine Saturday night at Schneider Arena. With the loss, the Friars fell to 9-9-2 overall, including a 6-5-2 mark in Hockey East. The Black Bears improved to 8-10-2, and 4-7-2 in league action. Maine junior goalie Ben Bishop stopped all 41 PC shots to earn his first shutout of the season.

The Black Bears struck first at 6:59 of the second period when Matt Duffy banged in a rebound after PC goalie Tyler Sims (Fort Wayne, Ind.) made the initial save on Wes Clark's shot from the right circle. The Black Bears then scored three times in the third period to seal the win. Clark scored off a wrist shot from the right circle at 4:52, while Jeff Marshall made the score 3-0 at 6:36 with his third goal of the season. Vince Laise added an empty-net goal to complete the scoring at 19:10.

The Friars finished with a 41-25 shot advantage but could not get anything past Bishop who was peppered with 21 shots in the first 20 minutes. Bishop earned his fourth career shutout. Sims finished with 21 saves for the Friars.

The Friars are back in action on Friday, January 25 when they travel to Boston, Mass. to take on the Northeastern Huskies.

transparent.gif

Update sat afternoon:

Friday results:

Prov beat Northeastern

UNH beat BU

Vermont beat sinking Minutemen

BC/ Maine tied

Lowell lost to Minn-Duluth

Standings:

1. UNH 21pts

2. BC 20pts

3. Northeastern- 18pts

4. Providence-16pts

Lowell- 16pts

6.BU- 15pts

7. Vermont- 14pts

8. Ucrash- 12pts

9. Maine- 11pts

10. Merrimack-9pts

Sat night games

Vermont at Ucrash- LBS will be in attendance.

UNH at BU

BC at Maine

Northeastern at Providence

Minn-Duluth at Lowell

Canisius at Merry-mack.

Cant believe how Umass has crashed. From 5th in the country to barely hanging onto the playoffs. A total embarrassment.

Update sat afternoon:

Friday results:

Prov beat Northeastern

UNH beat BU

Vermont beat sinking Minutemen

BC/ Maine tied

Lowell lost to Minn-Duluth

Standings:

1. UNH 21pts

2. BC 20pts

3. Northeastern- 18pts

4. Providence-16pts

Lowell- 16pts

6.BU- 15pts

7. Vermont- 14pts

8. Ucrash- 12pts

9. Maine- 11pts

10. Merrimack-9pts

Sat night games

Vermont at Ucrash- LBS will be in attendance.

UNH at BU

BC at Maine

Northeastern at Providence

Minn-Duluth at Lowell

Canisius at Merry-mack.

Cant believe how Umass has crashed. From 5th in the country to barely hanging onto the playoffs. A total embarrassment.

Well... just got back from Amherst...

Usuck-VT- 2-2 tie. yay. so glad i made the 1hr 40 min ride to watch a tie. at least the minit men held onto the 8th spot.

UNH-BU- Another UNH victory. As much as I despise Dick Umile and UNH, I hate Jack Parker and BU 1000times more. At least if UNH finishes first, they can disappoint again.

BC-Maine.. BC needed a win to stay within 1pt of first place UNH and they did it. They also helped my Minutemen by keeping Maine in 9th place.

Northeastern- Providence.. Providence gets the weekend sweep and pulls into a tie with Northeastern for 3rd.

Lowell-Minn. Duluth- Minny pulls off the weekend sweep of the River Hawks.

Canisius Merry Mack- Congrats to Mark Dennehey on the shutout victory. I met Mark while I was at UMass and respect him greatly and wish him tons of success with the Warriors. Hopefully he can turn this into a top tier job down the road.

So, the standings are:

1. UNH-23pts

2. BC- 22pts.

3. Providence- 18pts

Northeastern- 18pts

5. Lowell-16pts

6. BU- 15pts

VT- 15pts

8. USuck-13pts

9. Maine- 11pts

10 Merrimack-9pts.

Games remaining in HE:

UNH-11

BC-10

Prov-12

Neastern-10

Lowell-11

BU-10

Umass-11

Maine-12

Merrimack-11

Stick a fork in us.......

BOSTON COLLEGE UPENDS MAINE, 4-2

Dan Bertram registers three assists for Eagles

bertram3.jpg

Dan Bertram notched three assists for the Eagles

transparent.gif

ORONO, Maine - The University of Maine men's ice hockey team dropped a 4-2 decision to Boston College on Saturday night at Alfond Arena in Orono. The Eagles broke a 2-2 tie late in the second period and then added an empty-net goal. Simon Danis-Pepin (Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec) and Andrew Sweetland (Bonavista, Newfoundland) each netted goals for the Black Bears, who fall to 8-11-3 on the season and 4-8-3 in Hockey East play. Boston College improves to 12-5-7 overall and 8-3-6 in conference play.

The Eagles got on the board 10:49 into the first period when Dan Bertram found Joe Whitney who skated in and beat Maine goalie Ben Bishop (Des Peres, Mo.) for his seventh goal of the season.

Maine tied the game not long after. Tanner House (Cochrane, Alberta) was able to find Mike Banwell (Scarborough, Ontario) who fed a pass to Danis-Pepin just inside the blueline. Danis-Pepin rifled a shot past BC goalie John Muse for his third goal of the season and second of the weekend. The teams went into the first intermission tied at 1-1.

Ben Smith broke the tie for the Eagles with a power play goal just 37 seconds into the second period. Bertram and Tim Kunes each assisted on the goal, which was the 14th of the season for Smith which was scored from the just in front of Bishop.

Again, the Black Bears would tie the game up at 2-2. House and Danis-Pepin teamed up to find Sweetland who beat his defender and Muse with a shot from the right face-off circle. It was his fifth goal of the season and third on the power play.

The Eagles took the lead for good just over 10 minutes later. Brian Gibbons fed Nathan Gerbe who had a breakaway and beat Bishop for his 19th goal of the season which turned out to be the game-winner. Matt Greene added an empty-net goal for BC.

Bishop had another strong game in goal for the Black Bears and he stopped 27 shots, including several breakaways. He falls to 8-11-3 on the season. Muse made 18 saves for the Eagles.

Each team scored a power play goal as Maine was 1-for-5, while Boston College was 1-for-4. Maine returns to action on Friday, Feb. 1 when it travels to UMass Lowell for a 7:00 p.m. game with the River Hawks.

Stick a fork in us.......

after this weekend.... ugh.

allow the winning goal with 23 sec left against Lowell. Come out against the other UMass and take the lead 52 sec into the game and fall behind 4-1 before losing 5-3. Although I must say the refereeing was "slightly" slanted towards umass...:)

gravallese called another horrific game... i just cant see why this guy is still a ref...

tough year to be a Black Bear fan... sorry bum-knee.

standings before the lowell/vermont tilt this afternoon...

1. unh- 25pts- 10 games left

2. BC- 22pts 9 games left

3. Prov????????- 21pts 10 games left

4. Northeastern- 20pts 9 games left

5. Lowell- 18pts 10 games left

6. BU- 17pts 9 games left

7. Vermont- 15 11 games left

UCrash- 15pts 9 games left

9. Maine- 11pts 10 games left

10. Merry-mac- 10pts 9 games left

weekend results

friday

unh 5- vermont 1

BU 4- merrimack 1

Northeastern 1- Umass 0

Prov 3- BC (sucks) 2

Lowell 3- Maine 2

Sat

Prov 1 Merrimack 1

Umass 5 Maine 3

Upcoming schedule

sunday

lowell at vermont 2pm

monday- beanpot

BC/BU

Northeastern/ Havard

Friday

UNH at Maine

Vermont at Prov

BC at UMass

NU at Merrimack

BU at Lowell

Sat

Vermont at Prov

UNH at Maine

• Upvote 1

Vermont beats Lowell 3-2 so the standings now are:

1. unh- 25pts- 10 games left

2. BC- 22pts 9 games left

3. Prov- 21pts 10 games left

4. Northeastern- 20pts 9 games left

5. Lowell- 18pts 9 games left

6. BU- 17pts 9 games left

Vermont- 17 10 games left

8. UCrash- 15pts 9 games left

9. Maine- 11pts 10 games left

10. Merry-mac- 10pts 9 games left

In Beanpot action tonight, Harvard over Northeastern 3-1.

BU/BC puck drop in a few minutes...

Polls:

uscho/cstv poll 2/4/08

1-Miami

2-Michigan

3-North Dakota

4-Colorado College

5-New Hampshire

6-Michigan State

7-Denver

8-Notre Dame

9-Boston College

10-Minnesota-Duluth

11-Wisconsin

12-Providence

13-Clarkson

14-Northeastern

15-Minnesota State

16-Quinnipiac

17-Mass.-Lowell

18-Massachusetts

19-Princeton

20-Minnesota

usa today poll 2/4/08

1-Miami (Ohio) University

2-University of Michigan

3-University of North Dakota

4-Colorado College

5-University of New Hampshire

6-Michigan State University

7-University of Denver

8-University of Notre Dame

9-Boston College

10-University of Minnesota-Duluth

11-Providence College

12-University of Wisconsin

13-Clarkson University

14-Northeastern University

15-Minnesota State University Mankato

Others receiving votes: Quinnipiac University 28, Princeton University 15, University of Massachusetts Lowell 13, St. Cloud State University 6, University of Massachusetts 3, University of Minnesota 1, Union College 1, U.S. Air Force Academy 1.

Pairwise rankings 2/4/08

1 Miami

2 Michigan

3t New Hampshire

3t Colorado College

5t North Dakota

5t Denver

7 Michigan State

8 Minnesota-Duluth

9 Boston College

10t Minnesota State

10t Clarkson

10t Providence

10t Northeastern

14 Notre Dame 15 Wisconsin

16 Mass.-Lowell

17t Quinnipiac

17t Massachusetts

19 Minnesota

20t St. Cloud State

20t Michigan Tech

22 Cornell

23 Princeton

24 Union

25 Niagara

AS OF TODAY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Hockey East Tourney

8. Umass at 1. UNH

7. Vermont at 2. BC

6. BU at 3. Providence

5. Lowell at 4. Northeastern

BU and Vermont are tied for 6th. The first tie breaker is head to head. They finished 1-1-1 H2H. The next tie breaker is conference wins. BU has 7. Vermont has 6 so they are the 7th place team.

Good news for Lowell fans...

Blaise McDonald contract extended 4 years....

MacDonald to stay as UML's hockey coach

By Chaz Scoggins, chaz@lowellsun.com

Article Last Updated: 02/01/2008 11:35:05 AM EST

The past is past, and the future is bright.

UMass Lowell has given ice hockey coach Blaise MacDonald a four-year contract extension that will keep him behind the River Hawks' bench through at least the 2011-12 season.

College hockey notebook

Last spring UML's hockey team was facing the ax -- at least as a member of Hockey East -- on Beacon Hill before being rescued. No sooner had that crisis passed than MacDonald was arrested and pleaded guilty to an OUI charge that put him on probation with the UML administration.

MacDonald, 44, who had never been in any legal trouble before and has been a model citizen since, is also in the process of creating a model program that -- despite skating 16 freshmen and sophomores in its lineup -- has already won three more games than last winter's team and has been nationally ranked for the last eight weeks.

Attendance at Tsongas Arena has been rising, the hockey team's 3.1 GPA is highest among the men's teams at UML, and the River Hawks have also been widely visible in the Greater Lowell area performing community service. So MacDonald, whose current contract was up at the end of this season, has been rewarded with a new contract.

"As a youngster growing up here and going to ULowell games, I have a tremendous love for the school and this community," said MacDonald, who grew up in Billerica and has coached the River Hawks since 2001. "I feel a great responsibility being the head coach here, and I'm grateful to (Athletic Director) Dana Skinner and (Chancellor) Marty Meehan for their continued support."

Adding six freshmen to a team that went 8-21-7 a year ago and was returning only one senior and three juniors seemed like a recipe for a long winter. But the River Hawks are 11-8-4 going into this weekend and ranked 16th in the nation while holding down fifth place in Hockey East.

"If you had told me last September that we would be in the middle of the pack in Hockey East, nationally ranked, and under consideration for the NCAA Tournament, I would have questioned your mental state," admitted MacDonald. "But when there's a human element involved, anything is possible.

"We had a lot of challenges going into the season that I never could have imagined we could meet. The credit goes to the players."

MacDonald knew the River Hawks were going to be good eventually. But clearly they're ahead of schedule in their development.

"We've had two real good recruiting classes in a row, and I'm really looking forward to next year's class," he said enthusiastically.

That's when MacDonald, who has built a strong defense, will be bringing in a number of highly skilled offensive players to bolster UML's offense.

Willie was a chemist

Willie is no more

What Willie thought was H2O

Was H2SO4

I was reminded of this childhood poem while pondering the chemistry of hockey lines. Change one member, and a line that was functioning smoothly can turn into a disaster.

In the last nine of their 10 games after being formed in late November, UML's CPR Line of Scott Campbell, Mike Potacco, and Mark Roebothan clicked for 16 goals and 34 points. Since Potacco went out of the lineup with a separated shoulder four games ago, the only goal that line has produced has been an empty-netter.

The good news for River Hawk fans is that Potacco is expected to be healthy enough to return to the lineup next Friday when UML hosts Boston University in a game that will be part of Lowell's annual WinterFest.

Around the Boards: Goalie Peter Vetri, Hockey East's Rookie of the Year for UML in 2005 who transferred to Quinnipiac after his sophomore season, has been suspended by the 16th-ranked Braves for academic reasons. Vetri was 5-2-1 with one shutout, a 2.09 GA average, and .914 save percentage ... New Hampshire's Matt Fornataro and Boston College's Nathan Gerbe scored their 100th career points recently ... Maine's Ben Bishop recorded his 50th win in goal ... UNH goalie Kevin Regan is now the school's all-time leader in victories with 59.

Merrimack continues to reside in last place in Hockey East, but the Warriors were 6-0-1 in non-league games this winter and have won 10 games for the first time since the 2003-04 season ... UNH has never lost at Boston University's Agganis Arena, posting a 4-0-2 mark ... The Terriers are a miserable 2-6-1 at home this season ... Clarkson has beaten Boston College 10 straight times.

Pelham's Kevin Kaiser, the son of former ULowell All-American Ken Kaiser, scored the winning goal for Princeton in a 2-1 win over Harvard recently ... Providence, which cracked the Top 20 this week, has five straight wins against nationally-ranked opponents

http://www.lowellsun.com/sports/ci_8140446

http://www.ncaasports.com/icehockey/mens/fanpolls

Frozen Four Skills Challenge

INDIANAPOLIS--- The NCAA announced that voting for the players in the 2008 Frozen Four Skills Challenge began today online at www.NCAA.com and will run until February 14.

Fans will be able to select six position players and two goalies for each gender of the East team and each gender of the West team. The original list of 166 players was trimmed to 66 by the selection committee.

Fans can vote for their favorites among the 66 players, which are vying for the 16 spots on each team. The selection committee will take all voting into consideration prior to making its announcement of the final rosters mid-February.

The Frozen Four Skills Challenge will be held April 11 at the Pepsi Center in Denver and will highlight the .Friday Night at the Frozen Four.. The night will also include the presentation of the Hobey Baker Memorial Award, the Hockey Humanitarian Award and the announcement of the American Hockey Coaches Association All-American teams.

Tickets will go on sale Monday, February 4 by visiting the Pepsi Center box office or by logging on to www.ticketmaster.com.Vote for the other teams: Men's West, Women's East, Women's West

http://www.ncaasports.com/icehockey/mens/fanpolls

Frozen Four Skills Challenge

INDIANAPOLIS--- The NCAA announced that voting for the players in the 2008 Frozen Four Skills Challenge began today online at www.NCAA.com and will run until February 14.

Fans will be able to select six position players and two goalies for each gender of the East team and each gender of the West team. The original list of 166 players was trimmed to 66 by the selection committee.

Fans can vote for their favorites among the 66 players, which are vying for the 16 spots on each team. The selection committee will take all voting into consideration prior to making its announcement of the final rosters mid-February.

The Frozen Four Skills Challenge will be held April 11 at the Pepsi Center in Denver and will highlight the .Friday Night at the Frozen Four.. The night will also include the presentation of the Hobey Baker Memorial Award, the Hockey Humanitarian Award and the announcement of the American Hockey Coaches Association All-American teams.

Tickets will go on sale Monday, February 4 by visiting the Pepsi Center box office or by logging on to www.ticketmaster.com.Vote for the other teams: Men's West, Women's East, Women's West

Can I nominate John Gravallese for being the guy most likely to blow a whistle for no apparent reason? Thats a skill!

and lucky me gets to watch him ref the VT/prov game on tv. Made a horrendous call early in 1st on a clean hit. Bob Norton after calling him a great ref basically said that was a terrible call.................

I was watching the Celtics game but I'm going to watch the 3rd period.

Not a good night for the 3 of us that keep this thread alive.

BU kicked the crap out of my River Hawks, 6-2. UMass had a similiar experience with BC beating them 4-1.

Maine is hanging with UNH down 3-2 late in the 3rd period.

As much as I hate to say this. Go Black Bears.

Lowell has a home and home with the douche bags from BC next weekend and then has UVM at Tsongas on the 22nd and 23rd.

They need to take at least 3 of those games.

The thing that scares me is that Lowell finishes with Maine up at Alfond. Maine is a house of horrors for Lowell.

Friday, February 8, 2008

RADJA HAT TRICK LIFTS UNH PAST MAINE, 3-2

Mike Radja scores shorthanded game-winner

radja5.jpg

Mike Radja picked up a Hat Trick for the Wildcats

transparent.gif

ORONO, Maine -- New Hampshire's Mike Radja scored three goals to lead the fifth-ranked Wildcats to a 3-2 win over the University of Maine in men's ice hockey action on Friday night at Alfond Arena in Orono, Maine. The Black Bears got goals from Simon Danis-Pepin (Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec) and Andrew Sweetland (Bonavista, Newfoundland) in the game.

After dominating play in the first period, the Black Bears finally got on the board at 16:01. Wes Clark (Oakville, Ontario) found Sweetland who circled the net and found Danis-Pepin on the blueline. Danis-Pepin beat UNH netminder Kevin Regan with a quick wrist shot, giving Maine a 1-0 lead. For Danis-Pepin, it was his fourth goal of the season.

Maine held the lead until the final seconds of the first period. Radja picked off a Maine clearing pass and beat Maine's Ben Bishop (Des Peres, Mo.) five hole with a shot at 19:40 of the first period. The Wildcats made it a 2-1 lead with just four seconds remaining in the period. Danny Dries and Joe Charlebois teamed up to find Radja who beat Bishop with a that just found the inside of the far post. The Wildcats took the 2-1 lead into the first period, despite being outshot 15-8.

Leading 2-1 and on the power play, UNH's Bobby Butler had a breakaway midway through the second period. Bishop was able to stop Butler and the follow-up shot by Jerry Pollastrone to keep the game 2-1.

The Black Bears got the lone goal of the second period to knot the game at 2-2. Bret Tyler (Maynard, Mass.) picked off a UNH clearing pass and found Sweetland who was to the right of UNH goalie Regan. Sweetland beat Regan for his sixth goal of the season. The Wildcats held a 16-7 edge in shots in the second period.

Midway through the third period, UNH's Paul Thompson was whistled for a tripping penalty. Maine went on the power play and was generating several scoring chances. With the puck against the boards, and Maine defender and New Hampshire forward were both battling for the puck. The UNH player was able to poke the puck free to Radja who skated in alone, beating Bishop for the go ahead goal and his third of the game.

Maine had several chances late, but was unable to beat Regan. Keenan Hopson (Prince George British Columbia) led Maine with six shots, including four in the third period alone. UNH finished with a slim 35-34 advantage in shots in the game.

Maine falls to 8-14-3 on the season and 4-11-3 in Hockey East play. New Hampshire improves to 17-7-1 on the season and 13-4-1 in conference play.

Bishop made 32 saves in goal for the Black Bears, including several of the spectacular variety. He falls to 8-14-3 on the season. Regan made 32 saves as well and improves to 15-5-0. The Black Bears and Wildcats will finish their Hockey East season series on Saturday, Feb. 9 at Alfond Arena in Orono, Maine. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Friday, February 8, 2008

RADJA HAT TRICK LIFTS UNH PAST MAINE, 3-2

Mike Radja scores shorthanded game-winner

radja5.jpg

Mike Radja picked up a Hat Trick for the Wildcats

transparent.gif

ORONO, Maine -- New Hampshire's Mike Radja scored three goals to lead the fifth-ranked Wildcats to a 3-2 win over the University of Maine in men's ice hockey action on Friday night at Alfond Arena in Orono, Maine. The Black Bears got goals from Simon Danis-Pepin (Vaudreuil-Dorion, Quebec) and Andrew Sweetland (Bonavista, Newfoundland) in the game.

After dominating play in the first period, the Black Bears finally got on the board at 16:01. Wes Clark (Oakville, Ontario) found Sweetland who circled the net and found Danis-Pepin on the blueline. Danis-Pepin beat UNH netminder Kevin Regan with a quick wrist shot, giving Maine a 1-0 lead. For Danis-Pepin, it was his fourth goal of the season.

Maine held the lead until the final seconds of the first period. Radja picked off a Maine clearing pass and beat Maine's Ben Bishop (Des Peres, Mo.) five hole with a shot at 19:40 of the first period. The Wildcats made it a 2-1 lead with just four seconds remaining in the period. Danny Dries and Joe Charlebois teamed up to find Radja who beat Bishop with a that just found the inside of the far post. The Wildcats took the 2-1 lead into the first period, despite being outshot 15-8.

Leading 2-1 and on the power play, UNH's Bobby Butler had a breakaway midway through the second period. Bishop was able to stop Butler and the follow-up shot by Jerry Pollastrone to keep the game 2-1.

The Black Bears got the lone goal of the second period to knot the game at 2-2. Bret Tyler (Maynard, Mass.) picked off a UNH clearing pass and found Sweetland who was to the right of UNH goalie Regan. Sweetland beat Regan for his sixth goal of the season. The Wildcats held a 16-7 edge in shots in the second period.

Midway through the third period, UNH's Paul Thompson was whistled for a tripping penalty. Maine went on the power play and was generating several scoring chances. With the puck against the boards, and Maine defender and New Hampshire forward were both battling for the puck. The UNH player was able to poke the puck free to Radja who skated in alone, beating Bishop for the go ahead goal and his third of the game.

Maine had several chances late, but was unable to beat Regan. Keenan Hopson (Prince George British Columbia) led Maine with six shots, including four in the third period alone. UNH finished with a slim 35-34 advantage in shots in the game.

Maine falls to 8-14-3 on the season and 4-11-3 in Hockey East play. New Hampshire improves to 17-7-1 on the season and 13-4-1 in conference play.

Bishop made 32 saves in goal for the Black Bears, including several of the spectacular variety. He falls to 8-14-3 on the season. Regan made 32 saves as well and improves to 15-5-0. The Black Bears and Wildcats will finish their Hockey East season series on Saturday, Feb. 9 at Alfond Arena in Orono, Maine. Puck drop is scheduled for 7 p.m.

I don't like UNH. Their Coach is a grade "A" D-bag. Plus Exeter is up there with Orono as crappy towns :)

I don't like UNH. Their Coach is a grade "A" D-bag. Plus Exeter is up there with Orono as crappy towns :)

He may be a D-bag, but hes got UNH sitting pretty in the East.

I try to post the Maine game articles, although it would be nice if some of them would be wins though.

He may be a D-bag, but hes got UNH sitting pretty in the East.

I try to post the Maine game articles, although it would be nice if some of them would be wins though.

At least Maine has done something. Lowell is Lowell. We suck.

It makes me feel better that I'm not a Northeastern or Merrimack fan. Those guys blow!

At least Maine has done something. Lowell is Lowell. We suck.

It makes me feel better that I'm not a Northeastern or Merrimack fan. Those guys blow!

Yeah Maine does have some trophies to look at I guess, still this season has been really dissapointing.

Lowell has a shot this year though, if you guys could split with BC on the 15/16th you wouldnt be bad off. Home ice in the Vermont series and splitting the NE series. Hell you guys finish up here in Maine, what could be better? BC is the real trouble though.