HOCKEY EAST

BUM-KNEE

Back when I was at ULowell and they were playing at Tully Forum my friends and I used to drink in the dorms and then make the trip down the Connector.

When we got there we would always take a piss on the BU bus.

One thing I loved about Tully was the showers never worked right... cold water every time! but we always got the best food whenever we played at UML... we always ate on the bus back and UML was the one time we got sandwiches. dont know where they got them from, but they were awesome. I would always get 2 sandwiches and eat one before the game was over...:) hey, i needed my energy to lift that heavy stick bag!! and the players equipment bags...

• 3 weeks later...

Hockey East is back in action with the Holiday Tournaments.

UNH lost 3-1 to North Dakota

Northeastern beat Bowling Green 4-3 in the "Badger Showdown."

Providence got their arses kicked 6-1 by Michigan in the "Great Lakes Invitational."

Maine beat Clarkson 5-3 and Lowell beat Cornell 3-2 in the "Florida College Classic."

What is up with UNH? They stink right now.

Then Maine gets smoked by UML 6-0 the next day. Ouch!

Saturday, December 29, 2007

UMASS LOWELL SHUTS OUT MAINE, 6-0, TO WIN FLORIDA COLLEGE CLASSIC

Sophomore Carter Hutton posts 31 saves for River Hawks

transparent.gif

transparent.gif

hutton2.jpg

Carter Hutton posted the shutout with 31 saves

transparent.gif

transparent.giftransparent.giftransparent.giftransparent.gif

ESTERO, FL (Dec. 29, 2007) - Sophomore Jonathan Maniff (Revere, MA) scored two goals and assisted on another and sophomore goaltender Carter Hutton (Thunder Bay, ONT) stopped 31 shots as UMass Lowell defeated the University of Maine, 6-0, for the Florida College Classic Championship Saturday night at the Germain Arena.

The victory was the fifth straight and seventh in the last eight games for the River Hawks, who improved to 9-4-4. UML enjoys a 13-day hiatus before visiting Providence College on Jan. 11 (7:00), then returns home for 11 of their next 13 games.

Maine slipped to 6-8-2.

Hutton led three River Hawks named to the All-Tournament Team. Also cited were sophomores Nick Schaus (Orchard Park, NY) and Chris Auger (Belleville, ONT).

Freshman F Scott Campbell (Navan, ONT) also scored two goals while Auger added one goal and one assist. Freshman Patrick Cey (Saskatoon, SASK) also chipped in a goal.

The Black Bears outshot UML, 31-25, but Hutton was at his best in the third period as he turned away all 18 of Maine's shots. Ben Bishop stopped 14 shots for Maine before being replaced by Dave Wilson (five saves) in the third period.

"I'm so happy for the guys to be able to experience a championship," said UML Head Coach Blaise MacDonald. "It is well documented that we have a young team that continues to grow. We are exploring our limits at a very high level right now. We did a nice job of finishing tonight."

UML struck early both in the first and second periods as Maniff opened the scoring just 2:04 into the game with an assist from Auger. Campbell gave UML a 2-0 lead 1:08 into the second period off a pass from junior Mark Roebothan (St. John's, NF), and Cey tripled the lead at 11:46 with help from sophomores Kory Falite (Billerica, MA) and Ben Holmstrom (Colorado Springs, CO).

Despite being outshot 18-8 in the third period, it was UML that capitalized. Maniff scored his second goal 3:30 into the period off a feed from freshman Jason DeLuca (East Moriches, NY) to give the River Hawks a 4-0 cushion. Campbell followed at 13:00 with an unassisted goal and Auger capped the scoring just over a minute later with assists from DeLuca and Maniff.

"Maine has a great goaltender in Ben Bishop, but when we had opportunities to finish we were bearing down," MacDonald added. "That was big for us. We have great leadership, guys that work very hard. We are very fortunate to coach such great young men."

All Tournament Team

Carter Hutton (UMass Lowell), Goaltender

Nick Schaus (UMass Lowell), Defense

Simon Denis-Pepin (Maine), Defense

Chris Auger (UMass Lowell), Forward

Billy Ryan (Maine), Forward Michael Kennedy (Cornell), Forward

Ahhh... a nice winter break from caring about anything... Jets vs KC will do that...

Anyway. Great job by the Minutemen winning their holiday tournament by beating then #4 Colorado College and then #6 Notre Dame.

And great job to Umass-Lowell for spanking Maine in their tourney. Now its back to action this week

Vermont atBoston College 7:00 ET

New Hampshire atMassachusetts 7:30 ET

Northeastern atMerrimack 7:00 ET

Mass.-Lowell atProvidence 7:00 ET

Should be a great weekend.

1Northeastern7-3-1-15pts.

New Hampshire7-4-1-15pts

3Massachusetts4-2-4-12pts

Boston College4-3-4-12pts

Mass.-Lowell4-4-4-12pts

6Providence4-3-2-10pts

Boston University4-6-2-10pts

8Vermont3-3-3-9pts

9Maine3-6-2-8pts

10Merrimack3-9-1-7pts

Ahhh... a nice winter break from caring about anything... Jets vs KC will do that...

Anyway. Great job by the Minutemen winning their holiday tournament by beating then #4 Colorado College and then #6 Notre Dame.

And great job to Umass-Lowell for spanking Maine in their tourney. Now its back to action this week

Are you heading out to Amherst tomorrow or are you going to watch the game on NESN?

I'm going to watch the game as I haven't seen many games this season.

Are you going to the UMass/UML game at Tsongas next Saturday?

Are you heading out to Amherst tomorrow or are you going to watch the game on NESN?

I'm going to watch the game as I haven't seen many games this season.

Are you going to the UMass/UML game at Tsongas next Saturday?

I might be heading out to Amherst...depends on if I can get out of work early enough.. but most likely going to be going up to Durham saturday.

Next Sat is up in the air. Might be going to Atlantic City but still havent had plans finalized yet. Waiting to hear back from my brother... he is trying to set up a weekend with friends and family.

Next Sat is up in the air. Might be going to Atlantic City but still havent had plans finalized yet. Waiting to hear back from my brother... he is trying to set up a weekend with friends and family.

If you around next Saturday then I would be up for the game. We could either meet at the Brewery or at the ticket office.

UMaine back in the basement again.

transparent.gif

Saturday, January 12, 2008

BOSTON UNIVERSITY UPENDS MAINE, 3-1

Bryan Ewing has goal and assist for Terriers

Box Score - Text Box - Game Sheet

transparent.giftransparent.gif

ewing5.jpg

Bryan Ewing had a goal and an assist for the Terriers

transparent.gif

transparent.giftransparent.giftransparent.giftransparent.gif

ORONO, Maine - The University of Maine men's ice hockey team fell to Boston University 3-1 on Saturday night at Alfond Arena in Orono, Maine. The teams traded first period goals, but the Terriers added a goal in both the second and third frames to earn the victory. Maine's Ben Bishop (Des Peres, Mo.) played well in net for the Black Bears, but fell just short in his bid for his 50th career victory.

Boston University jumped out to a 1-0 lead at 9:14 of the first period. In transition during a line change, Terrier Kevin Shattenkirk found Pete MacArthur near center ice. MacArthur fed Bryan McEwing who skated in and beat Bishop with a shot from Bishop's right. For MacArthur, it was his 10th goal of the season.

Maine tied the game less than two minutes later. Travis Ramsey (Lakewood, Calif.) had a shot from the blueline that was blocked. The puck went to Lem Randall (Snow Lake, Manitoba) who had his shot saved by Terrier goalie Brett Bennett. The rebound went right to Keif Orsini (Montreal, Quebec) who beat Bennett for his first career goal.

Boston University took the lead back at 13:58 of the second period when Shattenkirk had his shot from just inside the blueline beat Bishop. MacArthur and Colin Wilson each assisted on the eventual game-winner for the Terriers.

The result of the game remained in doubt until BU was able to add an insurance goal on a fluke play late in the game. A BU forward dumped the puck into the Maine zone. Bishop came out to play the puck, only to see it take a weird bounce off the boards and go right to Chris Wilson who stuffed it home for his fifth goal of the season at 17:30 of the third period.

Maine, 7-10-2 on the season and 3-7-2 in Hockey East play, held Boston University scoreless in five opportunities on the power play. The Black Bears, who have not allowed a power play goal since Nov. 25 against Vermont, have currently killed off 28 straight penalties. Maine was 0-4 on the power play. Boston University improves to 6-10-3 on the season and 5-6-2 in Hockey East play.

Maine's Ben Bishop stopped 27 shots and falls to 7-9-2 on the season. Bennett made 15 saves for the Terriers. He improves to 5-4-2 on the campaign. The Black Bears return to action on Saturday, Jan. 19 when they face Providence in Providence, R.I. BU next plays at Merrimack on Jan. 18.

What is going on at Maine? As much as I hate the Black Bears, having a good Maine team always makes Hockey East better.

Either way, lets go Lowell!

hamilton2.jpg

F Maine. F BU to.

The Top four teams in the polls are from the West. When UMASS, Notre Dame and Northeastern are ahead of the traditional Eastern powers something is screwy.

What is going on at Maine? As much as I hate the Black Bears, having a good Maine team always makes Hockey East better.

Either way, lets go Lowell!

hamilton2.jpg

I dont know for sure Gainzo, they have started out slow and cold before with Whitehead but this is getting to be a lost season. The underclassmen that are filling vacant spots by graduating seniors arent getting it done, and they have an anemic power play now that used to be pretty good.

F Maine. F BU to.

The Top four teams in the polls are from the West. When UMASS, Notre Dame and Northeastern are ahead of the traditional Eastern powers something is screwy.

NH is ranked 5th in some polls Ive seen, that should make you happy PFSIKH.

Oh and F BU too.

USCHO.com/CSTV Division I Poll

The USCHO.com Poll is compiled by U.S. College Hockey Online, and consists of 40 voters, including 28 coaches from the Division I conferences and 12 beat writers from across the country. The poll is published weekly by the Associated Press.

Poll: Updated January 14, 2008 No.Team (1st Votes)RecordPointsLast Poll

1 Michigan (45) 20- 2-0 995 1

2 Miami ( 5) 21- 3-0 946 2

3 Colorado College 16- 6-0 901 4

4 Denver 17-5-0 837 3

5 New Hampshire 13-6-1 789 8

6 North Dakota 12-8-1 695 8

7 Michigan State 14-5-4 681 10

8 Notre Dame 18-7-1 647 6

9 Northeastern 11-5-2 598 7

10 Massachusetts 9-5-5 595 5

11 Boston College 10-5-5 505 12

12 Clarkson 12-7-1 423 11

13 St. Cloud State 11-10-3 373 14

14 Quinnipiac 13-5-3 351 16

15 UMass-Lowell 10-5-4 331 13

16 Minnesota-Duluth 8-7-5 204 19

17 Wisconsin 9-10-3 193 17

18 Minnesota 11-10-3 117 15

19 Princeton 10-8-0 104 NR

20 Minnesota State 9-8-4 57 20

Others Receiving Votes: Michigan Tech 42, Air Force 22, Bemidji State 22, Providence 17, Bowling Green 15, St. Lawrence 10, Cornell 9, Robert Morris 6, Yale 5, RIT 4, Ferris State 3, Harvard 2, Niagara 1

Friggin UMass doesnt deserve a top 10 after that horrid performance last weekend.

Pair wise rankings-

http://www.uscho.com/rankings/pwr.php

I cant format it... some key notes:

UNH tied for 4th.

Northeastern 7th

UMass 8th

UMass Lowell 10th

BC tied for 12th

Providence tied for 18th

Maine tied for 25th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*Team's RPI has been adjusted to remove negative effect from defeating weak opponent.

The PairWiseSM Ranking is a system which attempts to mimic the method used by the NCAA Selection Committee to determine participants for the NCAA Division I men's hockey tournament. The PWR compares the top 25 teams in the RPI Ratings Percentage Index (RPI), judging them by four criteria: record against common opponents, head-to-head competition, record against other top 25 teams if the team has faced at least 10 top 25 opponents, and the RPI.

For each comparison won, a team receives one point. The final PWR ranking is based on the number of points (comparisons) won against top 25 teams. Ties are settled by the RPI.

A more complete explanation of the workings of the PWR is also available in our FAQ. There is also a FAQ available explaining the NCAA Tournament selection process.

The PWR can be reformatted and redistributed by any media outlet or person, provided USCHO's URL (http://www.uscho.com/) accompanies the results.

Note: A team's record is based only on games against other Division I hockey schools which are eligible for the NCAA Tournament. In particular, only non-exhibition matchups between schools in the six major conferences count towards a team's record as used in the RPI and PWR. Other games, including contests against Canadian schools and tournament-ineligible D-I programs, are not counted.

Normally I would have come on here and bashed you for UNH not winning any titles, but after the smackdown you put on my minutemen last weekend I will slink off into a corner...

:P

At least your school has won a title (football) in a sport other then Women's Lacrosse.

The hockey team or the whole damn state? LOL

The team.

My parents dragged me to Maine every year and I became alot more appreciative of it once we graduated from tents to motel/hotel/cabin. We love to take my kids sometime.

Good luck tonight. Hope you beat BC.

BC sucks.

You know you wont win tomorrow. It'll end up in a tie.:P

Win or lose it will be fun. I took a look at the USCHO forums today and saw that Tsongas is close to being sold out tonight. The students aren't back until next week so I'm sure it will be full of those BC d-bags!

The team.

My parents dragged me to Maine every year and I became alot more appreciative of it once we graduated from tents to motel/hotel/cabin. We love to take my kids sometime.

Hermit Island campground is pretty nice. Crowded with Canadians, but nice.

http://www.hermitisland.com/

Ive stayed there a bunch of times. Check the map at the site, I recommend #69 or #70 on West Dune Way for tenting. (close to the showers too) DO NOT take any sites on the Branch side, unless you enjoy being devoured by mosquitos and blackflies.