WINSTON HILL

Pragmatic Bus

why dont allpro jets ever make it into the hall of fame. if i ever see a hall of fame voter i would slap him

:cloudy:

hill_winston.jpg?1157085597

T

Height:6'4" Weight:278 lbs Age:66Years With Jets:1963-76 College:Texas Southern

PRO: Had one of his finest seasons ever as a pro, according to the entire Jet coaching staff, despite being overlooked for the Pro Bowl ... has made 8 all-star appearances in his 12 years to date and has established himself as one of the premier offensive linemen in the NFL ... has always been noted for his ability to pass protect for Joe Namath and in 1974 he improved his run blocking to a high level of efficiency ... was honored by his teammates as a cocaptain of the offense in 1973 ... was outstanding throughout the 1974 campaign, especially against Houston and San Diego who presented strong rush lines to contend with ... has played both sides for the Jets, moving from left to right tackle in 1971 ... has never missed a game, now owning a streak of 167 consecutive appearances ... Jets have always been noted to run behind his blocking, a tribute to his skills ... experimented with a lower weight a few years ago, but now has returned to the 275-280 range ... won press acclaim for his work against Ordell Braase and Ben Davidson during the Jets Super Bowl season of 1968 ... came to the Jets as a free agent in 1963 after Baltimore and Weeb Ewbank had drafted him in the 11th round of the '63 NFL draft.

PERSONAL: Married Carolyn Smith (5-30-65) ... daughters Hovlyn (1-28-70), Heather (11-19-73) ... was a Texas State high school tennis champion from Weldon High for 3 years from 1957-59 ... Weldon also won district grid crown 4 years with Winnie ... very active in religion and Fellowship of Christian Athletes ... did work for the government in St. Croix, V.I. during the off-season ... makes off-season home in Englewood, Colo ....

Hometown: Gladewater, Tex.

From 1975 Jets yearbook.

Yeah

Hill belongs in the Hall for sure.

When I saw the title of your thread I thought maybe the Jets had signed Winston to play guard.

He could still do a better job then Clarke

Psst...he played T...although he could probably play G better than Clarke which isn't saying much.

I think Winston Hill is one the guys that suffered from the HOF prejudice against the AFL. He stuck around until '76, but was never on any decent "NFL" teams and those old bastards still held a grudge. That's why I like Al Davis no matter how senile that old Erasmus Dutchman might get. **** Pete Rozelle and **** the NFL! Fight the power!

I think Winston Hill is one the guys that suffered from the HOF prejudice against the AFL. He stuck around until '76, but was never on any decent "NFL" teams and those old bastards still held a grudge. That's why I like Al Davis no matter how senile that old Erasmus Dutchman might get. **** Pete Rozelle and **** the NFL! Fight the power!

:yeahthat:

hill went to several probowls even after the merger. he won the superbowl. and was one the premiere blockers in an era where other players and coaches voted you in the all star games. he should be in there

He sure should, but those biased ****ers won't put him in there. Even though he made the pro bowls, those post-merger teams were sub-standard and I think they will hold that against him.

Archived