Yanks close to signing Latroy Hawkins

AFJF

Sources: Yankees, reliever Hawkins near one-year deal worth $3.75 million

ESPN.com news services

The New York Yankees are on the verge of signing veteran relief pitcher LaTroy Hawkins to a one-year contract worth $3.75 million, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

Hawkins

A 13-year veteran, Hawkins had a 3.42 ERA last season pitching for the National League champion Colorado Rockies.

Foxsports.com first reported the potential deal.

The Yankees will be the sixth different team Hawkins will play for in his major league career. He 631 career appearances and all but 98 of them have come as a reliever.

Buster Olney is a senior baseball writer for ESPN The Magazine.

Rotoworld inside the numbers:

Hawkins made a lot more sense for an NL team. He was just in the AL East in 2006 and finished with a 4.48 ERA and 27 strikeouts in 60 1/3 innings for Baltimore. Last season, he fanned 29 in 55 1/3 innings for the Rockies. In his career, he has ERAs of 6.45 versus Baltimore, 5.79 versus Boston, 4.53 versus Toronto and 4.43 versus Tampa Bay. His best WHIP against any of the four teams is a 1.47 mark.

All I can say is that I hope he never gets a shot to close a game out. He is below .500 in that category, and that is really bad. If he is a 7th inning guy, I guess this is OK, and thankfully it is only for 1 season.

But I would have rather had almost anyone from the Minors step in and try instead.

All I can say is that I hope he never gets a shot to close a game out. He is below .500 in that category, and that is really bad. If he is a 7th inning guy, I guess this is OK, and thankfully it is only for 1 season.

But I would have rather had almost anyone from the Minors step in and try instead.

He should be better than Sean Henn:eek:

I still remember that 11 inning game that ended at 3:30 AM in Detroit, and Henn blew it after Rivera had got a couple of clutch outs in the 10th(one hell of a game, to say the least)

He should be better than Sean Henn:eek:

I still remember that 11 inning game that ended at 3:30 AM in Detroit, and Henn blew it after Rivera had got a couple of clutch outs in the 10th(one hell of a game, to say the least)

That endorsement is not the kind the Yankees need at this time.;) Being an upgrade over the way Henn has performed is not a difficult feat, although I am intrigued with Henn's fastball.

Archived