Yankees Tragic Number Thread

Jet/BosoxFan

This discussion came up in other posts...but it deserves a thread of its own in an effort to keep things organized as the New York Yankees bring the summer of '65 back for all of us to enjoy!

We're used to the NY Post's nauseating coverage of the Yankees Magic Number beginning in July in previous years. This year, your friend JBF brings you the coverage of the Yankees Tragic Number!

Should we call it the Yankees Tragic Number?

To calculate a team's magic number to be ELIMINATED from playoff contention...you take the number of games they've won (39) then add the number of games remaining on their schedule (85) and then subtract the number of games the 1st place team has won (45)

39 + 85 - 45 = 79

The Yankees Tragic Number is 79

This discussion came up in other posts...but it deserves a thread of its own in an effort to keep things organized as the New York Yankees bring the summer of '65 back for all of us to enjoy!

We're used to the NY Post's nauseating coverage of the Yankees Magic Number beginning in July in previous years. This year, your friend JBF brings you the coverage of the Yankees Tragic Number!

Should we call it the Yankees Tragic Number?

To calculate a team's magic number to be ELIMINATED from playoff contention...you take the number of games they've won (39) then add the number of games remaining on their schedule (85) and then subtract the number of games the 1st place team has won (45)

39 + 85 - 45 = 79

The Yankees Tragic Number is 79

7-2-05 update:

The Yanks Tragic Number falls to 78. The Sox get killed, the Orioles lose a close one...all as The Skullet gets absolutely lit up by Detroit.

Oh and with the Yankee loss and Toronto win, the Yanks are back to 4th place and back to .500.

• 1 month later...

I admit I have not done my job to the best of my capabilities...I have let this thread go without an update and I dotn have a valid excuse as to why.

The Yankees new tragic number on this date, August 9th, is 48.

This number is the same for the wildcard race as well as the AL East race as Boston, Oakland, and Anaheim all have the same record.

...and A-rod committed more blatant interference! Only this time, he got away with it.

Oh, and some Yankee fan got away with punching Scott Podsednick in the jaw when he was going for a foul ball in the stands.

Speaking of which...you just gave me a great idea for a new thread!!!

• 2 weeks later...

Uh oh!!!

The Yankees tragic number to NOT win the East is 32. Thirty freakin' two.

Just when you get a win against a good team...you make up no ground because Oakland and Boston wins.

Just when you get a chance to capitalize on BOTH teams when they lose...you drop the ball and lose 2 of 3 to Tampa Bay!

Getting the idea yeat that this is NOT the Yankees year?

• 3 weeks later...
If an eliminatiom party does indeed occur - I'm not counting my chickens before hey hatch though - where will it be? Are women allowed? Am I invited? Will this be some sort of male-bonding, slap-a$$, homo-erotic event? Is it BYOB?

:lol:

probably shouldnt say at this point...that it sounds like your kind of party, Imelda ;) because that would be wrong ..... just wrong... so i won't say it ... :lol:

The Red Sox do not spend a quarter billion on payroll.

Good point. The Red Sox are # 2 in payroll, so the wild card is acceptable for them. I agree.

The Mets have had the highest payroll in the NL East. How come they don't have any rings to show for all that money spent?

probably shouldnt say at this point...that it sounds like your kind of party, Imelda ;) because that would be wrong ..... just wrong... so i won't say it ... :lol:

This is your idea of a slam? Calling me a fag-hag? Hey - these queers are fun! They love to talk about running the bases, squeeze plays and dropped flys. :lol:

Good point. The Red Sox are # 2 in payroll, so the wild card is acceptable for them. I agree.

The Mets have had the highest payroll in the NL East. How come they don't have any rings to show for all that money spent?

You know what's awesome? If you combine the Mets payroll with the Red Sox payroll, you have one Yankee payroll.

This thread is about the AL East, Maxman. I know it says "playoff elimination" on the first post...

but can we be honest here for a second?

The Yankees have no chance of winning anything of substance this year because they dont have any pitching. If they win the wildcard by default, lets be honest, theyre screwed! They cant beat Boston, California, or even the ChiSox, let alone any of the playoff worthy NL teams. You dont seriously think otherwise, do you?

If they win the WC...they're SOL. You guys are acting like you think it would be some moral victory to just get to October.

Nobody is buying it. As has been the case with the Yankees for the past 10 years, its World Series or bust, and BUST they will be, of epic proportions!!!

This thread is about the AL East, Maxman. I know it says "playoff elimination" on the first post...

The Yankees have no chance of winning anything of substance this year because they dont have any pitching. If they win the wildcard by default, lets be honest, theyre screwed! They cant beat Boston, California, or even the ChiSox, let alone any of the playoff worthy NL teams. You dont seriously think otherwise, do you?

If they win the WC...they're SOL. You guys are acting like you think it would be some moral victory to just get to October.

Nobody is buying it. As has been the case with the Yankees for the past 10 years, its World Series or bust, and BUST they will be, of epic proportions!!!

I didn't notice too many Cy Young types on the Bosox this season. '

Also, White Sox can not hit They are 1 and done. ANgels do not have enough hitting, and their pitching is OK, at best. They can, and will be beaten. When the Yankees get to the playoffs, there is no one they can't handle.

No one.

Nope, it's more then the Yankees Payroll.

But if you combine the Mets and BoSox, you have 3 rings in 86 seasons.

Beautiful. :roll:

And in 1986 they got lucky by having to play each other, so one team had to win. Amazingly, the perfect result happened. Defeat was clutched from the hands of victory with the Buckner error, so the Mets won a World Series not due to their own talent, but in large part due to Boston donating it to them.

If the Yankees dont have any pitching then what do the Red Sox have? Curt Shelling? Bronson Arroyo? Tim Wakefield? Gimme a break, the Sox are where they are because of there offense. And the Yankees also have a lot to thank their offense for. However, Randy Johnson is pitching much better, Jaret Wright has been going pretty good, Chacon has been unbelievable, and not to mention Wang is coming back. The Yankees certainly can beat Boston and the White Sox and the Angels. There are no unbelievably strong teams in the AL and the pennant will certainly be up for grabs.

Your arrogance is f'ing hilarious though. I can't wait to see you when the Sox lose in the playoffs though. I find it hard to believe that you actually believe that drivel that you post. Nobody could really be that dumb.

Archived