Brad Kassell . . . why?

Gibbon

Fine, Brad picked up a ball off another guy's hip and gave the Jets the ball back in today's game. Great Job Brad. He did what anyone else on the team could have done, but he did it fair enough.

But, did you notice that he was on the field on the critical 3&4 run late in the 4th quarter that was not only converted to a first down but also became a long touchdown run? In fact the play was run right at him. A TIGHT END or WR blew him out of the hole opening the way for a the big run.

So, two questions:

1. Why is Kassell on the field in that situation? Was Barton hurt? I might have missed it.

2. Why is Brad Kassell on this team?

He has been the first guy off the bench as an ILB sub this season and last and the truth is, he stinks. He has always gotten playing time -- he still subs for Barton on the goal line -- and for the life of me I dont get it.

Why does Mangini love mutts so much? Mutts can be great. They can be better than pure breds, but Mangini acts like every mutt is going to turn into a star and the truth is that it just aint so. I honestly see this as one of Mangini's biggest failings. I think, in particular, it affects his approach to free agents.

Fine, Brad picked up a ball off another guy's hip and gave the Jets the ball back in today's game. Great Job Brad. He did what anyone else on the team could have done, but he did it fair enough.

But, did you notice that he was on the field on the critical 3&4 run late in the 4th quarter that was not only converted to a first down but also became a long touchdown run? In fact the play was run right at him. A TIGHT END or WR blew him out of the hole opening the way for a the big run.

So, two questions:

1. Why is Kassell on the field in that situation? Was Barton hurt? I might have missed it.

2. Why is Brad Kassell on this team?

He has been the first guy off the bench as an ILB sub this season and last and the truth is, he stinks. He has always gotten playing time -- he still subs for Barton on the goal line -- and for the life of me I dont get it.

Why does Mangini love mutts so much? Mutts can be great. They can be better than pure breds, but Mangini acts like every mutt is going to turn into a star and the truth is that it just aint so. I honestly see this as one of Mangini's biggest failings. I think, in particular, it affects his approach to free agents.

You just answered your own question. Mangini is so arrogant, he believes he can insert any player in any position in any formation and it should work. That's one of the big reasons our team sucks so bad. Mangini running schemes that players he chose can't succeed in.

55 sucks

that is all

Kassell may be ok in certain situations, but when he is the guy you go to in your short ydg run package either your team is in shambles or you and your coaches have no idea what to do. Obviously, I think that this is the exact situation in which Schlegel would have excelled -- I guarantee you that he is quicker to and tougher at the point of attack than Kassell whatever his deficiencies in other areas may be. Why you cut a third rounder that was well suited to exactly this kind of situation to keep a FA you got off the scrap heap and who made numerous costly mistakes the year before is beyond me. BUT, beyond that why not have Barton in for that situation? He is head and shoulders tougher and better against the run than Kassell. No guy wearing 82 would have blown him out of the hole like happened to Kassell.

Kassell may be ok in certain situations, but when he is the guy you go to in your short ydg run package either your team is in shambles or you and your coaches have no idea what to do. Obviously, I think that this is the exact situation in which Schlegel would have excelled -- I guarantee you that he is quicker to and tougher at the point of attack than Kassell whatever his deficiencies in other areas may be. Why you cut a third rounder that was well suited to exactly this kind of situation to keep a FA you got off the scrap heap and who made numerous costly mistakes the year before is beyond me. BUT, beyond that why not have Barton in for that situation? He is head and shoulders tougher and better against the run than Kassell. No guy wearing 82 would have blown him out of the hole like happened to Kassell.

I knew that's what you were leading up to, LOL.

But there were a few guys who looked really weak out there yesterday, took some plays off, or/and didnt look like they were playing their hardest out there, no matter that some posters think the team played hard.

55, 65, and 60 to name three.

Kassell has NOT been the first ILB off the bench "all season". In case you don't remember, Vilma is hurt. Kassell wasn't even in the rotation until Vilma went out for the year. Schlegel may have been better in short yardage than Kassell, but he blew goats on special teams and if you want to be the fourth ILB (1. Vilma, 2. Barton, 3. Harris) carried by a team you'd better not suck on specials. Besides, Schlegel did not show that he could get it done on the goal. He never got the chance, but that's because he sucked on ST.

there are 62 people on a roster

all 62 suck now

That is a copout, amigo. it is the same talent that beat the steelers a couple of weeks ago. If there is enough talent on the team to whup the Stillers, it is enough to be better than 3-10.

Kassell has NOT been the first ILB off the bench "all season". In case you don't remember, Vilma is hurt. Kassell wasn't even in the rotation until Vilma went out for the year. Schlegel may have been better in short yardage than Kassell, but he blew goats on special teams and if you want to be the fourth ILB (1. Vilma, 2. Barton, 3. Harris) carried by a team you'd better not suck on specials. Besides, Schlegel did not show that he could get it done on the goal. He never got the chance, but that's because he sucked on ST.

I'm resisting the urge to make this another into another Schlegel thread (eventhough as Jetcane pointed out that is a part of my problem with Kassell). If you insist we can debate it, but I've said what I have to say on the subject many times, so to summarize, you are wrong.

Kassell has been a sub for Barton on Goal Line and short ydg. situations all year, not just since Vilma's injury.

But since you mention it, why, given what we now know about Vilma and Harris' ability to be successful in this scheme, did our genius coaching staff have Vilma playing ahead of Harris and not at least with him?

My point is that the coaches seem to be completely blind to this players lack of produciton and ability. And, I think this speaks to their overall ability/ priorities when evaluating players.

Archived