ALL- Twilight team from ESPN

faba

Updated: June 30, 2005

Enjoy 'em before it's all overBy Rob Neyer

ESPN Insider

Archive

There are, believe it or not, a few pleasures in aging, and one of them is watching the entire career of a great player, from those first tentative at-bats during a September cup of coffee to those last feeble at-bats during a September swan song. It's not until you've watched, for example, Fred McGriff's career from beginning to end that you realize just how fleeting the career of a professional athlete really is. And over the years I've come to appreciate the last years of the veterans more than I did when I younger than all of them.

In that vein, here are my choices for the All-Twilight Team: those players who should be enjoyed now, before it's too late ...

Piazza

Catcher: Mike Piazza (.313/.383/.557)

Those stats are Piazza's career batting, on-base, and slugging averages, and I listed them because they're simply not the statistics of a veteran catcher. And yet there they are. For the moment, at least.

I know it happens to everybody eventually, but it's hard to watch it happening to Mike Piazza, who won't turn 37 until September. Oh, it's not that he can't hit. Among major league catchers, Piazza's 774 OPS ranks third, behind only Jason Varitek (934) and Jorge Posada (809). But there was a time, not so long ago really, when Piazza was downright scary. And his defense behind the plate is so awful that he's really not a good player any more. He's a JAG: just another guy. And when I watch the Mets, I hope Piazza hits a home run, because I know there aren't a lot of them left.

Palmeiro

First baseman: Rafael Palmeiro (.289-563-1,813)

I'm listing the Triple Crown statistics because those are the ones on which Hall of Fame voters typically focus, particularly when the subject is a first baseman. And Palmeiro's Triple Crown stats are awfully impressive. A couple of years ago, when he was still short of 500 home runs, I did not support his Hall of Fame candidacy. Home runs are not a rare commodity these days, and Palmeiro's rarely been a great player (he's finished among the top five in MVP voting only once, and in the top 10 only three times, and he's led his league in an important statistic only three times). But with 563 homers and counting, the weight of Palmeiro's career is undeniable. He's been a very good player for a very long time, and probably does deserve election to the Hall of Fame.

By the way, there's plenty of competition here, particularly from Frank Thomas and Jeff Bagwell. While both Thomas and Bagwell are 1) better than Palmeiro, and 2) perhaps close to finished in the majors, they're "only" 37 and we can't discount the possibility that one or both will hang around for another two or three seasons.

Biggio

Second baseman: Craig Biggio (.286-244-1,650 runs)

I'm told there are people out there who question Biggio's Hall of Fame credentials. Which is, putting it mildly, silly. At 39, Biggio is still playing well, still piling up Hall of Fame numbers. Not that he needs any more of them. Biggio's one of the six greatest second basemen ever, and if he doesn't mind playing a subsidiary role, he could play for another two or three seasons. My guess, though, is that he'll go out on top. And if you want to watch the greatest second baseman since Joe Morgan, your time is short.

Shortstop: Julio Franco (.300-167-1,133)

Remember last year, when Todd Zeile started two games behind the plate? Zeile hadn't donned the tools since 1990, but he came into the majors as a catcher, and he wanted to leave as one (if for only a couple of games). In a similar vein, I'd like to see Julio Franco at shortstop this season, if only for an inning or two. Because as strange as it might seem to those of you born since 1980, at one point Franco was a shortstop. He certainly wasn't a good shortstop, but for the first five seasons of his major league career (1983-1987) he was a shortstop.

Franco

Now, of course, he's a first baseman ... but just barely. Franco turns 47 (47) this August (at least according to the official sources), but somehow the man can still hit; recently he became the oldest player in major league history to hit a home run, and his .464 slugging percentage this season is plenty respectable. But Franco's playing time has dwindled because of his struggles against right-handed pitchers, and if he's back next year he'll be limited to pinch-hitting duties and the occasional spot start against lefties.

It hasn't been a great career. But considering that it started 23 years ago, it's been an amazing one.

Castilla

Third baseman: Vinny Castilla (.279-324-486)

I'll admit it: I've never been Vinny Castilla's biggest fan, mostly because his career road statistics include a .301 on-base percentage. Thanks to his home games, though, Castilla's overall career stats also include a .486 slugging percentage, which is pretty impressive for a third baseman with a pretty good glove.

This season, Castilla hit .347 in April, but since then he's batting .219 with two home runs. And if Nationals GM Jim Bowden hadn't gifted Castilla with a two-year contract prior to this season, this might be Castilla's last. But instead he'll continue to play, and I hope he hits just one more home run at Coors Field. For old times' sake.

Bonds

Left fielder: Barry Bonds (.300-703-1,843)

We're told by some that Barry Bonds, when he comes back, will be the same Barry Bonds who did things nobody's ever done.

Color me unconvinced. The number of great seasons turned in by 41-year-old hitters (he will turn 41 on July 24) recovering from a severe injury can be counted on the fingers of a man who's been involved in two threshing accidents (one accident per hand). Yes, Bonds is still going to break Hank Aaron's record. But no, he's not going to win another batting title. And no, managers will no longer tremble at the very thought of throwing him strikes.

Finley

Center fielder: Steve Finley (.274-293-1,354 runs)

Mike Scioscia recently described Steve Finley as "a potential Hall of Famer" or something similar, which I suppose is true in the sense that the Royals are "potential American League Central champions." Metaphysically, anything is possible.

Realistically, though, Finley's no Hall of Famer. Not even close. Earlier, I mentioned Rafael Palmeiro's less than impressive showing in MVP balloting. Well, Finley's fared significantly worse than Palmeiro. In 1996 he finished 10th, in 2004 he finished 14th, and that's it. Sure, Finley also deserved some attention in 2000, when he scored 100 runs and drove home 96 for a team that won 85 games. But he simply hasn't been a great player. And like Vinny Castilla, Finley is old, ineffective, and guaranteed at least one more season thanks to an ill-considered (by his team) multi-year contract.

Sosa

Right fielder: Sammy Sosa (.276-583-1,156)

Is Sammy Sosa finished, already? A lot of fans in Baltimore are thinking that maybe he is. Though nobody expected 50 home runs this season, in 2003 and '04 Sosa averaged 43 homers per 150 games. And this season? He's got nine homers in 60 games. Toss in a .307 on-base percentage, and Sosa, still only 36, has been a big-time drag on the Orioles' lineup. Sosa can still hit left-handers, but now he looks like the early-'90s version of himself, when he was helpless against sliders and curveballs from right-handed pitchers. And in case you haven't noticed, most of the pitchers are right-handed.

Johnson

Starting pitcher: Randy Johnson (253-133, 3.09)

It's tempting to give this slot on the team to Greg Maddux, or Kevin Brown, or Tom Glavine, or Jamie Moyer. After all, Randy Johnson is still pitching well, if not brilliantly. And he's under contract with the Yankees through 2007 (when he'll be 44). But the Randy Johnson? He's gone, friends. Unless he replaces his famous titanium back brace and knee brace with adamantium bone grafts, we're simply not going to see the pitcher who routinely flirted with no-hitters every time he took the mound.

Franco

Relief pitcher: John Franco (424 Saves, 2.87 ERA)

How long has Franco been pitching? He hasn't been a closer in the 21st century, yet he currently ranks as the active leader in saves, with 424. That distinction won't last much longer, though, as Trevor Hoffman (who's still going strong) has 414 and should pass Franco in early or mid-August.

How long has Franco been pitching? As a rookie, his teammates included Pete Rose, Tony Perez, and Dave Concepcion.

How long has Franco been pitching? He's pitching for so long that he can keep his roster spot despite pitching only 14 innings in three months, and racking up a 5.65 ERA. He'll turn 45 in September, and there's a pretty good chance he won't still be pitching when he celebrates his birthday.

It is pretty sad to see Piazza bat right now as a Met fan-his occasional home run now or solid contact is a rarity

As a Mets fan, let me just take a few seconds to wax poetic about Mike Piazza and John Franco.

John, Mike, f*ck you two. F*ck you right in the ear.

John Franco, you are the biggest goat in Mets history. Not to mention being the biggest media whore this side of Gary Carter, but you were also the biggest behind-the-scenes backstabbing crybaby perhaps ever in NY sports history. You cried when Armando Benitez took your closer role away, you cried when the Mets told you that a relief pitcher who tops out at 84 MPH just wasn't good enough for long relief, and you cried when the Mets tried to trade you. John, you were an erratic whiner at best, a despotic, cancerous failure at worst. F you.

Mike Piazza, your chickensh*t running away from Roger Clemens was a legendary disgrace; perhaps worse than anything France has ever donw. You were the supposed leader of the Mets at that point, and you turned tail and ran like a bitch, thus tearing the heart of out the Mets--a condition that would last for five years. In addition, Mike, you were an embarrassment behind the plate, your throwing arm is, and was, laughable, and your selfish pursuit of what is essentially a meaningless "home runs by a catcher" record was pathetic. Yes, you were the best hitting catcher of all time, but that's the same thing as saying that Patrick Ewing was the best jump-shooting center of all time--a backhanded compliment. Pedro was here for less than a week when he decided that you will have no part in catching him. Ditto Glavine (a fellow aging whiner), ditto Leiter. Screw you, Mike. Go find Shawn Estes and run off into pussy-baseball-player purgatory. Bitch. Wear Dodger blue when they take you into the Hall, btw.

Franco milked his BS Brooklyn guy persona, his friendship with Wilpon and open media access to extend his career well after he got batters out consistently. Piazza has spent the last few years burnishing his records as a catcher at the expense of the franchise. And in both cases, it was Met ownership and management acting as accomplices in the laughable idea that that was what fans wanted.

Heck, they traded Kazmir in no small part because he ruffled Franco's feathers. This douchebag was strutting around with that C on his shirt like he was Bobby Orr or something and couldn't throw an out pitch or a strike since 1990, and this is the guy you ask for advice about pitching prospects? Apparently in between hanging with made guys to whom he gave complimentarty tickets (and telling them God only knows what on the side?)and walking opponents, Franco didn't see a lefthander who throws 99 and up with control, strikes people out and eats innings. It's possible in his deluded world he somehow thought Kazmir would cost his sorry a$$ his roster spot, which he hoped to hang onto until he was 65.

Steinbrenner's done some stupid things. But nothing comes close to the Wilpons allowing Franco to think he had a God-given right to wearing a Mets uniform until he collected Social Security.

First things first...Roger Dodger is a fat p*ssy and he wasnt going to do anything! Getting him to actually take the ball in Shea after this fiasco was harder than finding WMDs.

Now, Tom, Piazza isnt a total pussy...he went after a soaking wet, 150 lb Guillermo Mota during a spring training game and had to be restrained by his entire team! Dude had rage in his eyes! Of course, that incited Paydro to publicly criticize Mike and for Mike to fire back...and now theyre battery mates! And why did Paydro call out Piazza and publicly defend Mota? Because Paydro is the advocate for all things Dominican, right or wrong.

He really is a piece of sh*t and I hope he and Piazza have a go at each other...and Metrosexual Mike rips Paydro apart at the seams

First things first...Roger Dodger is a fat p*ssy and he wasnt going to do anything! Getting him to actually take the ball in Shea after this fiasco was harder than finding WMDs.

Now, Tom, Piazza isnt a total pu$$y...he went after a soaking wet, 150 lb Guillermo Mota during a spring training game and had to be restrained by his entire team! Dude had rage in his eyes! Of course, that incited Paydro to publicly criticize Mike and for Mike to fire back...and now theyre battery mates! And why did Paydro call out Piazza and publicly defend Mota? Because Paydro is the advocate for all things Dominican, right or wrong.

He really is a piece of Sh#t and I hope he and Piazza have a go at each other...and Metrosexual Mike rips Paydro apart at the seams

Dude, you have to be absolutely tripping. Roger is a tough, rough guy from Texas. He woulda beat the sh*t out of Piazza. There is no question about that. Remove your bias. It's not very becoming.

Archived