Will the NFL ever have a similar steroid scandal in the future?

Blackout

yes gastinaeu, a KNOWN cheater

strahan deserves that record

Cheat on your wife, cheat for a sack?

I'd think for anybody that has worked out at a fairly serious gym, played football or seen a football player up close it's pretty obvious they are doing something. Normal people aren't built like that. I know a kicker that had several tryouts in NFL camps and he was juiced to the gills.

I'd think for anybody that has worked out at a fairly serious gym, played football or seen a football player up close it's pretty obvious they are doing something. Normal people aren't built like that. I know a kicker that had several tryouts in NFL camps and he was juiced to the gills.

That's bull. I train like a football player and I don't use anything outside of creatine and muscle milk. It's genetics, age, nutrition and your routine. I don't eat like a normal person but that's it (high protein, low fat diet, decent amount of carbs). How many people in your gym are seriously training? Do you see everybody doing clean and jerks and snatches? Cuz if not, it's a joke. Most gyms are not serious, you have to know where the bodybuilders work out.

That's bull. I train like a football player and I don't use anything outside of creatine and muscle milk. It's genetics, age, nutrition and your routine. I don't eat like a normal person but that's it (high protein, low fat diet, decent amount of carbs). How many people in your gym are seriously training? Do you see everybody doing clean and jerks and snatches? Cuz if not, it's a joke. Most gyms are not serious, you have to know where the bodybuilders work out.

You train like a football player, but are you built like one? Are you 275 lbs? How many cut and ripped 275 lb guys do you know? How many of those guys can run a sub 4.6 40? I've trained in a few serious gyms and I may not be the most serious guy there, but I know which guys are using the chemical advantage and they generally aren't hard to spot. What percentage of the NFL do you think are using some type of illegal supplement/steroids/HGH? There may be some clean guys that are that size and strength with that ability to recuperate from practice and training, but there aren't enough to fill 32 NFL rosters, that's for sure.

Are the bodybuilders clean too?

No, I don't think it'll ever be as bad as MLB's roids problem, simply because out of the numerous accusations that have come out against NFL players and teams, the general public just hasn't cared much at all, and certainly not anything in proportion to baseball.

Seriously, how much backlash was there against Merriman last year? Did he lose all of his endorsements? No, he was on TV again just this year in a commercial with Steven Jackson that still displays him as a premier defender. Six members of the 2003 Super Bowl-bound Carolina Panthers used, and those are the only ones we know about. Where is the reaction to that?

Point is, for whatever reason, the public will always care more about MLB's steroid problem than the NFL's. It may be because the NFL is invincible for some reason, it may be because MLB is more of an individualized sport; I don't really know. But the NFL most certainly has its problems.

You train like a football player, but are you built like one? Are you 275 lbs? How many cut and ripped 275 lb guys do you know? How many of those guys can run a sub 4.6 40? I've trained in a few serious gyms and I may not be the most serious guy there, but I know which guys are using the chemical advantage and they generally aren't hard to spot. What percentage of the NFL do you think are using some type of illegal supplement/steroids/HGH? There may be some clean guys that are that size and strength with that ability to recuperate from practice and training, but there aren't enough to fill 32 NFL rosters, that's for sure.

Are the bodybuilders clean too?

I'm not 6' so of course I'm not 275. Most of the NFL isn't 275. Hell Brick probably isn't 275. WRs and DBs are around 190, and that's right around where I am except I'm a few inches shorter than the average WR or DB.

You can't tell if someone is juiced just by looking at them. That is just an excuse lazy fatasses that have never trained seriously use to make themselves feel better.

The NFL catches most steroids easily, so most can't use any. HGH is undetectable but extremely expensive, there are rumors to how you can tell if someone is on HGH but I believe it's over an extended period of time.

As for recovery, the advantage I have is I put in off weeks and off days scattered throughout. Football players only have the offseason to do that, and during the season they will almost definitely lose muscle. Also in recovery from injury steroids assist greatly (that's why Harrison used them). But since you shouldn't be looking to build mass during the NFL season, and you're doing enough to maintain (just need a light maintain program) I don't believe NFL players are users just because they have good physiques.

I'm not 6' so of course I'm not 275. Most of the NFL isn't 275. Hell Brick probably isn't 275. WRs and DBs are around 190, and that's right around where I am except I'm a few inches shorter than the average WR or DB.

You can't tell if someone is juiced just by looking at them. That is just an excuse lazy fatasses that have never trained seriously use to make themselves feel better.

The NFL catches most steroids easily, so most can't use any. HGH is undetectable but extremely expensive, there are rumors to how you can tell if someone is on HGH but I believe it's over an extended period of time.

As for recovery, the advantage I have is I put in off weeks and off days scattered throughout. Football players only have the offseason to do that, and during the season they will almost definitely lose muscle. Also in recovery from injury steroids assist greatly (that's why Harrison used them). But since you shouldn't be looking to build mass during the NFL season, and you're doing enough to maintain (just need a light maintain program) I don't believe NFL players are users just because they have good physiques.

Sure not all football players are 275, but neither are sprinters or bicyclists and they are mostly juiced too. You can count me among the lazy not so-fatasses. I'm not someone that thinks the reason I'm not built like the dude on the cover of Men's Health is because I don't use juice, but you can't tell me that you work out in a serious gym and don't know any users. It's not just the physiques, it's the unnatural life and constant hitting, workouts and physically brutalizing your body. Harrison was in recovery and most NFL players are recovering from something at any given time.

I knew one guy (football-not NFL player) who was calculating how many Mercedes he could have bought for the juice and growth hormone he'd bought. I don't even have to get into my own personal knowledge, but NFL players aren't only using the "original Whizzinator" to avoid positives for coke and weed. You may not be able to tell with certainty that every person built like that is using something, but the % of likelihood sure goes up. What percentage would you say? I'm sure it's better than 50%.

does anyone see the NFL getting a mess like MLB has?

No. Not because players in the NFL don't roid up, alot certainly do but the NFL, unlike MLB, has actually had drug testing and held players accountable when caught.

I don't think roids actually benefit football players as much as baseball players. Juicing makes the body more injury prone - just look at David Boston. The guy constantly got injured throughout his career.

Baseball players who used steroids don't subject their bodies to anywhere near the punishment NFL players do.

So long as football players have more money pumping into the chemists than the NFL has pumping in to the testers there will be steroid use. There is clearly more money in getting a player to pass a test than there is in testing for the stuff.

I think you and 27 bring up many valid points.

They do catch alot, but as RSJ suggests there is alot of money out there to be made and these labs are in the business to make money and stay ahead of the leagues.

I am sure there is alot of stuff that is on the banned list that was acceptable at one point.

My two cents worth, I think both you and 27 are right and wrong. like 27, I am more of lazy gym guy and do not put the effort others do into it. With that being said, in the 20+ years I have been a half-assed gym rat, the ways guys that lift look today is alot different. I am not saying they are all on roids, but they utilize something ICW their hard work. Only the upper 5% have natural ability. The rest of us have to work at it.

Archived