Virginia stud Guard declares for Draft

SouthernJet

VIRGINIA'S ALBERT TURNS PRO

Virginia guard Branden Albert will skip his senior season and declare for the 2008 NFL draft, the Roanoke Times reports.

The 6-foot-7, 310-pound Albert was a first-team All-ACC selection and started every game since the first game of his true freshman year. He told the newspaper he decided to leave before the Cavaliers' Gator Bowl loss to Texas Tech. He said he made the decision in part because he thinks he's better than the senior guards who will be available in the 2008 draft.

"This draft, in my opinion, should be lean for offensive guards," he said.

Albert has a good chance of being the first guard off the board in April. Other top guards include Tennessee senior Eric Young and Oklahoma junior Duke Robinson.

Roy Schuening

Scouts Grade: 83

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfldraft/draft/tracker/player?id=11963

Strengths: Takes sound angles to blocks and generally gets into good position when drive blocking. Tough and works from the snap to the whistle. Big enough to engulf undersized defenders and can wear defenders down over the course of a game. Footwork is sound when combo blocking defensive lineman up to a linebacker and flashes the ability to get into position at the second level. Shows adequate range for size and flashes the ability to pull effectively. Gets adequate knee bend in pass set and holds ground against bull rushers. Doesn't have an explosive first step but is efficient and gets into pass set quickly. Keeps head up and shows good awareness in pass protection.

Weaknesses: Doesn't get great hand placement, frequently fails to extend arms once in position and struggles to sustain blocks. Fails to deliver a violent initial punch, doesn't roll hips upon contact and isn't going to knock many defenders back. Plays too high at times and could struggle to drive two-gap defenders off the ball at the NFL level. Plays with a narrow base, struggles to adjust to the moving target in space and can lose balance. Can't change directions quickly and struggles to adjust to double moves.

Overall: Schuening arrived at Oregon State in 2003. During the next three seasons (2004-'06) he started 37 consecutive games. Schuening lacks ideal athleticism and explosiveness but he is a relentless drive blocker who can hold his own in pass protection.

Do all Virginia Offensive Lineman come to the NFL undersized? My god.

D'BrickashawFerguson at less than 300 for an NFL LT.

This guy to be an NFL LG or RG at 310? Are you kidding me?

Howie Long's kid coming in at 280, too big for a 43 DE and too small for a 34 DE. Nice.

:eek:

Do all Virginia Offensive Lineman come to the NFL undersized? My god.

D'BrickashawFerguson at less than 300 for an NFL LT.

This guy to be an NFL LG or RG at 310? Are you kidding me?

Howie Long's kid coming in at 280, too big for a 43 DE and too small for a 34 DE. Nice.

:eek:

280 lbs is too big for a 43 DE? He's only too big if he's too slow. He's also a good 10+ lbs lighter than Mario Williams.

Don't know about him at DE in the 3-4. I think it might be ok, but he'd have to be next to an absolute beast of a NT who draws double-teams virtually 100% of the time, which we clearly don't have.

Archived