Ryan question.

DonCorleone

It is true that the Raiders defense has fallen off this year. There are two reasons for this. First he is not being allowed to run his defense. Second is that he has been given bad personel. Prior to this season when given the freedom to do what he wanted, he did a lot with personel that was shaky at best. Guys like Sapp, Burgess and others never fit his scheme.

It is true that the Raiders defense has fallen off this year. There are two reasons for this. First he is not being allowed to run his defense. Second is that he has been given bad personel. Prior to this season when given the freedom to do what he wanted, he did a lot with personel that was shaky at best. Guys like Sapp, Burgess and others never fit his scheme.

thanks much for the info.

Could you explain what you mean by "he is not being allowed to run his defense"?

Thanks again

Rob Ryan is a 3-4 DC. Lane Kiffin prefers the 4-3, and is bringing in his father, Monty Kifin from TB to replace Ryan. Ryan is extremely aggressive in his playcalls. His D will give up big plays from time to time, but they are much more apt to cause big plays such as sacks and turnovers.

Rob Ryan is a 3-4 DC. Lane Kiffin prefers the 4-3, and is bringing in his father, Monty Kifin from TB to replace Ryan. Ryan is extremely aggressive in his playcalls. His D will give up big plays from time to time, but they are much more apt to cause big plays such as sacks and turnovers.

Do you think that he could improve our Defence? can HE make a difference?

I think so...but we must get the right personnel to run this defense....if not, it'll be a long year.

If not for the horrendous play of the defense before the bye, this could have been a totally different season. Perhaps, with a better defense, and improvement on the lines, we may be able to talk about wins more than just 4 times per season.

Do you think that he could improve our Defence? can HE make a difference?

2 years in a row the coaching staff had to step in on Sutton to analyze and overhaul the D, both times resulting in a far better performance afterwards. Both times it was the result of more aggression. I just don't think Sutton's philosophy of "bend don't break" fits with Mangini's plan. Mangini and Ryan go back to the NE days and are very good friends. Ryan is the son of Buddy Ryan and has been highly regarded throughout the league. Al Davis forced Kiffin to keep Ryan when he hired Kiffin to be the HC. I have faith in Rob Ryan regardless of Mangini's relationship with him. I think he and Rex are the 2 best up and coming defensive minds in the game right now. It's easy to say Rex has been better in BAL, but then again look at who Rex was working with vs Rob's personnel in OAK. I think Rob would have been just as effective in BAL.

2 years in a row the coaching staff had to step in on Sutton to analyze and overhaul the D, both times resulting in a far better performance afterwards. Both times it was the result of more aggression. I just don't think Sutton's philosophy of "bend don't break" fits with Mangini's plan. Mangini and Ryan go back to the NE days and are very good friends. Ryan is the son of Buddy Ryan and has been highly regarded throughout the league. Al Davis forced Kiffin to keep Ryan when he hired Kiffin to be the HC. I have faith in Rob Ryan regardless of Mangini's relationship with him. I think he and Rex are the 2 best up and coming defensive minds in the game right now. It's easy to say Rex has been better in BAL, but then again look at who Rex was working with vs Rob's personnel in OAK. I think Rob would have been just as effective in BAL.

I completely agree with your views on Sutton. One can argue that he did not have the right players for the schemes, but the success after the byes would prove that though not dominant, this defense could have at least been semi decent.

If not for the horrendous play of the defense before the bye, this could have been a totally different season. Perhaps, with a better defense, and improvement on the lines, we may be able to talk about wins more than just 4 times per season.

I agree...thats why we are getting rid of Sutton. Mangini took over the defense after the bye, and they played much, much better IMO. Eric and Rob are on the same page, hopefully it'll be a different defense.

I completely agree with your views on Sutton. One can argue that he did not have the right players for the schemes, but the success after the byes would prove that though not dominant, this defense could have at least been semi decent.

Exactly. 2 years in a row no less. I think what it really shows is that contrary to popular belief, a huge NT is not a necessity to run a successful 3-4 D. It certainly does help to have one, and it is necessary to have an all world D, but it isn't imperative. What is more important is physical play from the LB's and aggressive playcalling. What I didn't answer in your last question was "will Ryan Help?". IMO, he will make a very big difference while he is the DC. My only fear is he won't be the DC for very long. If he is successful here, it will be a luanching pad for him to get a HC job and could happen as early as 1 or 2 years.

Exactly. 2 years in a row no less. I think what it really shows is that contrary to popular belief, a huge NT is not a necessity to run a successful 3-4 D. It certainly does help to have one, and it is necessary to have an all world D, but it isn't imperative. What is more important is physical play from the LB's and aggressive playcalling. What I didn't answer in your last question was "will Ryan Help?". IMO, he will make a very big difference while he is the DC. My only fear is he won't be the DC for very long. If he is successful here, it will be a luanching pad for him to get a HC job and could happen as early as 1 or 2 years.

Yeah but I forgot what it is like to have 1 or 2 good defensive years. Right now, I would settle for that.

Archived