Santana not worth it?

NIGHT STALKER

mets sure could have used a #1 starter in the last month of the season. just 1 more win....

but is it worth it to give up the farm to get an aging team into the playoffs?

as a mets fan, I say no. They arent going to win the world series with or without Santana this year.

As the Mets top 5 players are Beltran-Wright-Reyes-Maine-Perez I wouldn't call them a aging team. A rotation of Johan-Pedro-Maine and Perez with the addittion of some trade deadline bullpen help can certainly win a WS next year.

Also, anyone trading for Johan now is only doing so if they sign him long term. No- one is trading multiple prospects for one season.

As the Mets top 5 players are Beltran-Wright-Reyes-Maine-Perez I wouldn't call them a aging team. A rotation of Johan-Pedro-Maine and Perez with the addittion of some trade deadline bullpen help can certainly win a WS next year.

Also, anyone trading for Johan now is only doing so if they sign him long term. No- one is trading multiple prospects for one season.

True, but I'd rather get into a bidding war after the season than to pay the Twins with top flight prospects and also give this guy the moon. Like the writer said, you would be paying twice for this guy trying to get him now.

True, but I'd rather get into a bidding war after the season than to pay the Twins with top flight prospects and also give this guy the moon. Like the writer said, you would be paying twice for this guy trying to get him now.

I don't think Johan sees spring training as a Twin let alone next winters FA market. Anyone would rather pay money as opposed to players. That is why these stars names come up in trade talks prior to them hitting the market.

Hell no, anyone who is willing to give all these young guys up for someone who is a free agent next year is ****ing dumb. If everyone just had some patience they can bid for this guy next year and keep all their young guns.

but he is latin,,omar is creamin his pants for another latin player...one short of a samba dance team

SJ, that is the way of the league now. Jackie Robinson must be turning in his grave with the lack of African Americans playing MLB.

It's sad but true, you can find players in Venezuela, Cuba and Mexico, who will play for less money than a Black player, and have the same amount of talent.

El Duque, Alou, Pedro, Delgado. Lousy RF, Lousy C.

if you think this team is going to make the playoffs you're nuts. They played lousy for most of the season last year and everyone is a year older. This team will win 85 games and miss the playoffs by 7 games.

They need a 4th starter, 5th starter, someone to spell Pedro when he eventually gets hurt.

Minaya has done nothing to improve this team. Nothing. Only hurt us by trading Milledge.

It's sad but true, you can find players in Venezuela, Cuba and Mexico, who will play for less money than a Black player, and have the same amount of talent.

latin players also will listen more since this is their only chance of success. If they fail in baseball, back to the dirt farm for them. Plus its a lot cheaper investment in signing a 17yr old latin than drafting a black/white player who you have to sign to a good contract.

If Latin players were subject to the draft it would be a much different situation.

It has nothing to do with money. Black athletes just aren't into baseball as much as they are into football and basketball right now.

It has nothing to do with money. Black athletes just aren't into baseball as much as they are into football and basketball right now.

part of that is true. but its also is true that a MLB team can sign a latin player for a lot less than a high draft pick. And the latin player will listen to their coaches more since this is their chance to shine.

American players (black, white, asian, hispanic) are more difficult to coach and develop because they have been successful throughout their whole life and expect it to just happen and refuse to change. Is it true for everybody? No. but a good amount.

Its a very complex issue. MLB needs to do everything it can to get the best athletes into baseball regardless of race. Same is true for all the other sports.

mets sure could have used a #1 starter in the last month of the season. just 1 more win....

but is it worth it to give up the farm to get an aging team into the playoffs?

as a mets fan, I say no. They arent going to win the world series with or without Santana this year.

Agreed. For the Mets to give up what was rumoured for Santana was crazy. The farm system would have been gutted for years.

Archived