Def Coord search a mess,,hire Greg Williams NOW!!!!

SouthernJet

I like Williams and think he is a very good DC. The problem is Mangini would have to teach him our system in which case Mangini might as well take over as DC himself.

Right. Mangini can't even teach our players this scheme. I think Mangini should admit he hasn't installed a scheme more suitable for the Tampa 2 players that Herm had, because he can't, because he doesn't know any other schemes well enough to coach them... then he should act like a head coach and hire a coordinator that can coach a scheme that make sense for the players the Jets have RIGHT NOW.

But thats my opinion... I am sure the ManGenius will continue to perpetuate the "Square Peg, Round Holes" Defense he has made us suffer through for the past 2 years...

Right. Mangini can't even teach our players this scheme. I think Mangini should admit he hasn't installed a scheme more suitable for the Tampa 2 players that Herm had, because he can't, because he doesn't know any other schemes well enough to coach them... then he should act like a head coach and hire a coordinator that can coach a scheme that make sense for the players the Jets have RIGHT NOW.

But thats my opinion... I am sure the ManGenius will continue to perpetuate the "Square Peg, Round Holes" Defense he has made us suffer through for the past 2 years...

:rolleyes:

Who on our defense has proven he can play in the Tampa two? Did you forget about 2005 when we had D Rob, Vilma, Thomas, Hobson, and Barton on the field and we got embarased every single play on defense? You sir have no idea what you are talking about.

:rolleyes:

Who on our defense has proven he can play in the Tampa two? Did you forget about 2005 when we had D Rob, Vilma, Thomas, Hobson, and Barton on the field and we got embarased every single play on defense? You sir have no idea what you are talking about.

No idea? I wouldn't go that far... Because of the defense we once ran, and the players we still have... we've got a better shot at being a respectable 4-3 defense sooner and for less money, than we do of being respectable 3-4 anytime soon. That is the point I am trying to make, simply put.

No idea? I wouldn't go that far... Because of the defense we once ran, and the players we still have... we've got a better shot at being a respectable 4-3 defense sooner and for less money, than we do of being respectable 3-4 anytime soon. That is the point I am trying to make, simply put.

In order to run a 4-3 we need a run stuffing DT (or the same NT we need right now), two great all around DE's (or the same thing we need right now in the form of ONE OLB/DE), another OLB, (which we don't need right now), and a 3 technique DT (since D Rob is essentially a bust at that position). The pass rushing OLB will be cheaper than a pass rushing DE as DE's top 5 salaries are higher. So we actually need more players to run a 4-3 than a 3-4 and a 3-4 is a much better defense to run in the era of free agency. The pieces are much more replaceable with lower priced player. In order to run a good 4-3 you need a dominant defensive line. In order to run a 3-4 you need players that are only strong at the point of attack and not good all around players.

Guys seriously before you post stuff like this think about what you are saying or do some research on the subject and analyse it. You truely have no idea what you are talking about if you think we are closer to having a viable 4-3 defense.

In order to run a 4-3 we need a run stuffing DT (or the same NT we need right now), two great all around DE's (or the same thing we need right now in the form of ONE OLB/DE), another OLB, (which we don't need right now), and a 3 technique DT (since D Rob is essentially a bust at that position). The pass rushing OLB will be cheaper than a pass rushing DE as DE's top 5 salaries are higher. So we actually need more players to run a 4-3 than a 3-4 and a 3-4 is a much better defense to run in the era of free agency. The pieces are much more replaceable with lower priced player. In order to run a good 4-3 you need a dominant defensive line. In order to run a 3-4 you need players that are only strong at the point of attack and not good all around players.

Guys seriously before you post stuff like this think about what you are saying or do some research on the subject and analyse it. You truely have no idea what you are talking about if you think we are closer to having a viable 4-3 defense.

I agree that we are no closer to being a good 4-3 than a good 3-4, but one thing that concerns me is that we haven't filled any more spots and more teams are going 3-4 (Rams). The reason those players (pass rush OLB) are cheaper is that less teams are looking for them. The price will go up with demand.

I agree that we are no closer to being a good 4-3 than a good 3-4, but one thing that concerns me is that we haven't filled any more spots and more teams are going 3-4 (Rams). The reason those players (pass rush OLB) are cheaper is that less teams are looking for them. The price will go up with demand.

That is a good point. There are still a lot more 4-3 teams than 3-4. If the scales were to tip than I think a 4-3 could be better to run because it would be less difficult to get the personel to run a dominant 4-3. Still the only 3-4 teams are still the Pats, Jets, Steelers, Cowboys, now the Rams, Cards, Browns, 49ers and perhaps the Phins will. That is still only 9 out of 32 teams. I don't think our defense has a long way to go either. It is our Offense that needs more improvement, imho.

Interesting, and I hadn't even considered that notion. I would be just as happy with Williams as either of the Ryans. He's a great coach IMO. Not sure if he would entertain the idea of playing second fiddle to a young coach with little experience. Also, Williams runs a 4-3 (I think), so there would be complications. Regardless, the Jets could do much worse than GW.

I believe they ran the 3/4 with Williams when he was HC in Buffalo. Of course they actually HAD a legit NT there.

Archived