Lakers trade for Gasol

faba

The Los Angeles Lakers have acquired Memphis center Pau Gasol, league sources said Friday afternoon.

The Lakers will send center Kwame Brown and rookie point guard Javaris Crittenton to Memphis in the trade, along with two future No. 1 picks.

It is possible the Lakers will re-sign free agent Aaron McKie to send to Memphis to balance the contracts in the deal.

Gasol, a 7-footer, can play center for the Lakers until Andrew Bynum returns from a knee injury sometime in March. Then, Gasol, who is averaging 18.9 points and 8.8 rebounds, can slide over into the power forward spot. His passing and shooting skills are ideal to operate in the triangle offense. This move pushes the Lakers into championship contention.

For Memphis, Brown’s $9 million contract comes off the salary cap at the end of the season. Gasol has three years left and nearly $50 million left on his contract. He is averaging nearly 19 points and 8.8 rebounds for the Grizzlies.

The Memphis Commercial Appeal also reported the story Friday in its online edition.

If you're a Lakers fan you definitely have to be happy. Bynum, Gasol and Odom is not a bad frontcourt at all. Heard LA might also be making a push for Jason Kidd.

I don't think they can now that they moved Kwame's inflated contract.

If you're a Lakers fan you definitely have to be happy. Bynum, Gasol and Odom is not a bad frontcourt at all. Heard LA might also be making a push for Jason Kidd.

I really doubt it bacause of the luxury tax. Lakers , I believe , are over it now with Gasol's contract.

it's a decent trade for both sides. lakers get another player while grizzles get expiring contract 2 1st rounders and crittenton who could turn out to be a good player

Crittenton has potential but he wasn't needed the way Jorden Farmar has been playing . Great deal for the Lakers since Kwami is basically an unmotivated POS in my book. :P

Crittenton has potential but he wasn't needed the way Jorden Farmar has been playing . Great deal for the Lakers since Kwami is basically an unmotivated POS in my book. :P

Kwame is hideous. This deal makes up for the Butler-Kwame deal which was a disaster for the Lakers until now. Good recovery.

what is valuable about an expiring contract? I'm not a big basketball fan so I'm not really knowledgeable about the trades and values and stuff.

it's the only way to clear cap space. get expiring contracts. in trades you have to closely match the salaries being traded. so if you're rebuilding you trade a contract where the guy is signed long term (like when the suns fleeced the knicks and traded marbury, a bad contract, for mcdyess, an expiring contract).

this way they get brown's contract off their cap after this season, instead of having gasol count for several more seasons.

expiring contracts are the reason you sometimes see now-worthless players dealt. they're not any good on the court anymore, but some idiot gave them a big contract which is finally expiring.

Archived