More garbage from Joe Morgan

Blackout

:lol: this is whats wrong with award voting

Lee is a threat to win the Triple Crown this season (league-leading .377 average, second-best 25 HRs, third-best 67 RBI). But Pujols is also in the top three in the Triple Crown departments (.343-22-69). The other important factor for me that tips the MVP scale to Pujols is that the St. Louis Cardinals have the best record in the National League. Lee's Chicago Cubs are in third place the NL Central and trail the Cardinals by 13 games.

In my evaluation of the MVP, the team's success is a factor. All things being equal, if two MVP candidates are having comparable seasons, the MVP should go to the player on the better team.....

Livan Hernandez doesn't have the gaudiest statistics (12-3, 3.48 ERA), but he's the No. 1 guy on the Washington Nationals, the surprise first-place team in the NL East (remember, these are the former Expos).

Most people would call Dontrelle Willis the midseason NL Cy Young, because he has the gaudy stats (13-3, 1.89). But I favor Hernandez because the Nationals are in first place, while the Florida Marlins are in third.

Hernandez is the reason the Nationals are in first place. Without him, Washington wouldn't be in first, while the Marlins aren't in first place with Willis.

As I mentioned in my MVP discussion above, when considering awards we can't overlook an individual's contribution to the team's success. More and more, it seems that only individual statistics are considered in giving awards. I don't agree with that. Awards should reflect the saying, "to the victors go the spoils."

To me, wins are the most important pitching stat, and then I factor in how those wins have contributed to team success. ERA is the least important stat, in my judgment.

i agree about livan. the guy has been a horse for the nationals. when they need a win he comes up huge. when the bullpen is worn out, he throws 150 pitches. he just gets the job done.

as for pujols - by the end of the year he very well may win the triple crown. he already caught up in RBI and is right there in HR. lee will cool off in the second half, but for 1st half MVP it would have to go to Lee over Pujols. Put Lee in the St louis lineup and his #'s would be even better.

Everything Morgan said was correct.

If Lee and Pujols are close, Pujols will win it if the Cards have a much better record.

that doesnt mean it SHOULD be correct

besides, Barroid Bonds won it last year without making the playoffs

that doesnt mean it SHOULD be correct

besides, Barroid Bonds won it last year without making the playoffs

Yeah but Bonds had numbers off the charts....I said if Pujols and Lee are close in stats the player on the better team will win it.

Lee would need to win the triple crown.

Bonds was the exception for two reasons, his numbers were off the charts and you get a pretty good idea of what he meant to the Giants by their showing this year without him. Bonds still took a bunch of no-names to the final w/end of the regular season.

This isn't a roids thread so save that for another discussion.

Lee is carrying a team with it's top 2 starters in and out all year with injuries, apiss poor lineup and barely has a closer to speak of. So Lee is penalized for that while Pujols is rewarded because Carpenter and Morris are healthy and the Cards bullpen are all having solid seasons? Morgan is a douchebag.

Lee is carrying a team with it's top 2 starters in and out all year with injuries, apiss poor lineup and barely has a closer to speak of. So Lee is penalized for that while Pujols is rewarded because Carpenter and Morris are healthy and the Cards bullpen are all having solid seasons? Morgan is a douchebag.

Izzy has been on Dl.

Rolen been on DL.

Edmonds been on DL.

Walker has been hurt.

Dempster is better than more than a few closers around baseball.

Both Lee and Pujols are worthy choices and if Lee is leading in the triple crown categories then he will get the nod over a player close statistically on a 1st place team.

Archived