To Those Guys Who Think We Should Build Through The Draft

SoFlaJets

and not sign any impact FA's or try and make a couple of trades that may get us Chad Johnson and get rid of Coles and Chad, tell me HOW we're gonna build a championship team like this?

How many of these guys are starters (or WILL be this year) and how many of these players are even ON the team still?

Rnd Name College Note

1 Darrelle Revis Pittsburgh

2 Harris David Michigan

6 Bender Jacob Nicholls State

7 Stuckey Chansi Clemson

Rnd Name College Note

1 D'Brickashaw Ferguson Virginia

1 Nick Mangold Ohio State

2 Kellen Clemens Oregon

3 Anthony Schlegel Ohio State

3 Eric Smith Michigan State

4 Brad Smith Missouri

4 Leon Washington Florida State

5 Jason Pociask Wisconsin

6 Drew Coleman Texas Christian

7 Titus Adams Nebraska

Rnd Name College Note

2 Mike Nugent Ohio State

2 Justin Miller Clemson

3 Sione Pouha Utah

4 Kerry Rhodes Louisville

5 Andre Maddox North Carolina State

6 Cedric Houston Tennessee

6 Joel Dreessen Colorado State

7 Harry Williams Tuskegee

Rnd Name College Note

1 Jonathan Vilma Miami (FL)

3 Derrick Strait Oklahoma

4 Jerricho Cotchery North Carolina State

4 Adrian Jones Kansas

5 Erik Coleman Washington State

6 Marko Cavka Sacramento State

7 Darrell McClover Miami (FL)

7 Trevor Johnson Nebraska

7 Derrick Ward Ottawa (KS)

7 Rashad Washington Kansas State

Rnd Name College Note

1 Dewayne Robertson Kentucky

2 Victor Hobson Michigan

3 B.J. Askew Michigan

5 Derek Pagel Iowa

5 Matthew Walters Miami (FL)

6 Brooks Bollinger Wisconsin

7 Dave Yovanovits Temple

Rnd Name College Note

1 Bryan Thomas Alabama-Birmingham

2 Jon McGraw Kansas State

3 Chris Baker Michigan State

4 Alan Harper Fresno State

5 Jonathan Goodwin Michigan

and not sign any impact FA's or try and make a couple of trades that may get us Chad Johnson and get rid of Coles and Chad, tell me HOW we're gonna build a championship team like this?

How many of these guys are starters (or WILL be this year) and how many of these players are even ON the team still?

Rnd Name College Note

2 Harris David Michigan

7 Stuckey Chansi Clemson

Rnd Name College Note

2 Kellen Clemens Oregon

4 Brad Smith Missouri

7 Titus Adams Nebraska

Rnd Name College Note

2 Mike Nugent Ohio State

2 Justin Miller Clemson

3 Sione Pouha Utah

Rnd Name College Note

4 Adrian Jones Kansas

Rnd Name College Note

2 Victor Hobson Michigan

3 B.J. Askew Michigan

5 Derek Pagel Iowa

7 Dave Yovanovits Temple

Rnd Name College Note

great post. i posted similar last week. well done

right now I'm counting 23 guys on the team right now with 7 of them possible to be gone by season's start-we absolutely MUST get some IMPACT players 4 starters at least through trades or Free agency in here and hopefully another 3-4 starters from the draft if we want to say make it to 2nd place

right now I'm counting 23 guys on the team right now with 7 of them possible to be gone by season's start-we absolutely MUST get some IMPACT players 4 starters at least through trades or Free agency in here and hopefully another 3-4 starters from the draft if we want to say make it to 2nd place

Love your avatar...damn thats sexy...Joe Namath mmm.:P

I dont think you can count prior to '06, this is a new regime and one that has a better handle on drafting.

In 07 we got 2 players that will start for years to come, one that is a project, and the other was injured but looked good in the preseaon.

In 06 the only players who havent mad a contribution are Schlegel(?) and Titus Adams,

yea the third hurts but the other was a seventh, players who 9/10 times are either special teamers or off the team anyways.

That being said there needs to be a balance between FA and Draft. The Team doesnt have to go crazy like the Redskins and pickup every big namer out there, it clearly doesnt work.

At the same time we cant rely entirely on the draft since by there is just to much risk.

If we can get one or two quality starters in FA and draft a couple of players who make an impact, we should be looking good for the future.

I dont think you can count prior to '06, this is a new regime and one that has a better handle on drafting.

In 07 we got 2 players that will start for years to come, one that is a project, and the other was injured but looked good in the preseaon.

In 06 the only players who havent mad a contribution are Schlegel(?) and Titus Adams,

yea the third hurts but the other was a seventh, players who 9/10 times are either special teamers or off the team anyways.

That being said there needs to be a balance between FA and Draft. The Team doesnt have to go crazy like the Redskins and pickup every big namer out there, it clearly doesnt work.

At the same time we cant rely entirely on the draft since by there is just to much risk.

If we can get one or two quality starters in FA and draft a couple of players who make an impact, we should be looking good for the future.

even though Terry Bradway is still very involved with the Jets in the drafting department CM, this is NOT about grading the Jets drafting prowess-it's about shear numbers and how they shake out as to team make up. There are some Jets fans who feel we "should build the team through the draft" and that making blockbuster trades are "pipedreams' well clearly, from looking at this history it ain't enough-you MUST make deals and impact FA signings-Ty Law....the ONLY big name free agent signed by this team under Woody johnson

Rnd Name College Note

2 Harris David Michigan

7 Stuckey Chansi Clemson

Rnd Name College Note

2 Kellen Clemens Oregon

4 Brad Smith Missouri

7 Titus Adams Nebraska

Rnd Name College Note

2 Mike Nugent Ohio State

2 Justin Miller Clemson

3 Sione Pouha Utah

Rnd Name College Note

4 Adrian Jones Kansas

Rnd Name College Note

2 Victor Hobson Michigan

3 B.J. Askew Michigan

5 Derek Pagel Iowa

7 Dave Yovanovits Temple

Rnd Name College Note

15 Starters + 11 back-ups + 10 traded/released players (still playing) = 36 out of 44

Not bad if you ask me.

your living in a dream world. Who is there in FA to build around? Chad Johnson is not particularly tradable because of his contract as it relates to CINs cap. If you made some real world proposals for building the Jets that did not include significant amount of drafted players then your statement would make more sense.

To make your point you should look at some good teams' drafts and see how many of those guys are on the roster (does INDY have ANY FAs?). You need to draft good players. Really good ones are rarely available in FA or in trades. There is no alternative in today's NFL to drafting well.

your living in a dream world. Who is there in FA to build around? Chad Johnson is not particularly tradable because of his contract as it relates to CINs cap. If you made some real world proposals for building the Jets that did not include significant amount of drafted players then your statement would make more sense.

To make your point you should look at some good teams' drafts and see how many of those guys are on the roster (does INDY have ANY FAs?). You need to draft good players. Really good ones are rarely available in FA or in trades. There is no alternative in today's NFL to drafting well.

yea I'm living in a dreamworld alright-I have a dream that maybe someday before I die I'll get to see the Jets in another super bowl-yea and Randy Moss, Wes Welker say hello

yea I'm living in a dreamworld alright-I have a dream that maybe someday before I die I'll get to see the Jets in another super bowl-yea and Randy Moss, Wes Welker say hello

The problem is the Pats didn't get those types of players until AFTER they built a locker room core of players that they could compete with. All great teams get the Charles Haley's, Simeon Rice's, Randy Moss, and Wes Welkers after the core is built. Otherwise you could have a locker room disaster if you don't (see Oakland)

The problem is the Pats didn't get those types of players until AFTER they built a locker room core of players that they could compete with. All great teams get the Charles Haley's, Simeon Rice's, Randy Moss, and Wes Welkers after the core is built. Otherwise you could have a locker room disaster if you don't (see Oakland)

my point RS is that you can't get it done by JUST drafting in this day and age-you have to bring in impact players to compliment the core players you draft-there's what 53 man rosters now? When you only have 10 to 15 starters from the last 6 drafts well it ain't good enough to get it done

my point RS is that you can't get it done by JUST drafting in this day and age-you have to bring in impact players to compliment the core players you draft-there's what 53 man rosters now? When you only have 10 to 15 starters from the last 6 drafts well it ain't good enough to get it done

I actually think the Jets have drafted well when you take into consideration that a lot of players left because we didn't pay them or because they didn't fit the system change. I agree that we will need to trade for talent. But right now we have a lot of young players that are not veteran enough to pull aside a Randy Moss and tell him to shut his mouth. We can't even get Coles or Kendall to shut up and they are not even pro bowlers. One or two more good drafts and solid FA pick ups (which we haven't done yet) and I would bet we pull the trigger on a trade like you are talking about.

I agree with you SFJ, that we need FA's on this team. I don't see C. Johnson as a guy that is going to help this team get any further in the playoffs. If we bring in a starting guard or tackle, and by starting i mean a damn good player, and a starting DT/NT/RDE that would be a very successful year.

Imagine you are a fan of another team and you saw the year Bryan Thomas had for us in 06, you'd be saying, 'we need this guy, he's a difference maker around the edge and plays solid football'...if you team takes him, pays him his contract then you have what we had last year. An over paid pile of dog ****. :)

I don't like the Johnson pick because i could see him just turning it down for the last few years of his career, and collecting pay checks. As FA's go, i'm not sold on the glamor positions, i'd prefer it be apart of the defense, or offensive line. JMO.

I actually think the Jets have drafted well when you take into consideration that a lot of players left because we didn't pay them or because they didn't fit the system change. I agree that we will need to trade for talent. But right now we have a lot of young players that are not veteran enough to pull aside a Randy Moss and tell him to shut his mouth. We can't even get Coles or Kendall to shut up and they are not even pro bowlers. One or two more good drafts and solid FA pick ups (which we haven't done yet) and I would bet we pull the trigger on a trade like you are talking about.

there is a shelf life to look at-how can we afford to wait to trade Chad, Coles, Vilma and maybe a DRob? We have to move THIS off-seaon with at least 3 of these guys or forget about it

there is a shelf life to look at-how can we afford to wait to trade Chad, Coles, Vilma and maybe a DRob? We have to move THIS off-seaon with at least 3 of these guys or forget about it

The Jets need to weigh these players potential contribution with what we will get in return for a trade. Each guy you mentioned has value on our team with the exception of Vilma. Coles would be a great number 2 or a tremendous 3. D Rob would be great in the fact that we could have the flexibility to run a nice 4-3 to switch things up if needed and if we get a NT. Chad has good back up value and could start in a minutes time. You won't replace these guys with a 3rd or 4th round pick. You could - but odds are it won't happen.

I agree with you SFJ, that we need FA's on this team. I don't see C. Johnson as a guy that is going to help this team get any further in the playoffs. If we bring in a starting guard or tackle, and by starting i mean a damn good player, and a starting DT/NT/RDE that would be a very successful year.

Imagine you are a fan of another team and you saw the year Bryan Thomas had for us in 06, you'd be saying, 'we need this guy, he's a difference maker around the edge and plays solid football'...if you team takes him, pays him his contract then you have what we had last year. An over paid pile of dog ****. :)

I don't like the Johnson pick because i could see him just turning it down for the last few years of his career, and collecting pay checks. As FA's go, i'm not sold on the glamor positions, i'd prefer it be apart of the defense, or offensive line. JMO.

I( just want to see us do SOMETHING bro-SHOW us, the fans that you're seriously trying to put a better product on the field and not trying to fit square pegs into round holes every time-or attempting to bring guys out of retirement again (good idea I thought-then, now? no way) this is year 3 if we don't have a true 3-4 NT and 4 true LBers that fit then we may as well not even bother wasting money on tickets and merchandise that we'll be too ashamed to wear around town

I( just want to see us do SOMETHING bro-SHOW us, the fans that you're seriously trying to put a better product on the field and not trying to fit square pegs into round holes every time-or attempting to bring guys out of retirement again (good idea I thought-then, now? no way) this is year 3 if we don't have a true 3-4 NT and 4 true LBers that fit then we may as well not even bother wasting money on tickets and merchandise that we'll be too ashamed to wear around town

I agree we need a FA or two - but we need to be selective and make sure they are also team players.

You do indeed build through the draft but finding a free agent or two (big name, not a David Bowens) is always a positive. If the Jets were to add Alan Faneca and do the rest through the draft, thats would be fine with me. Just please get SOMEONE in here to attract bigger names in the future and someone with experience who is a top level player.

I also agree it's best to build through the draft. Trying to build a team through FA will just get you to where the Redskins are.

through out history the actual football icons were mostly drafted by the team the flourished on. When a team realizes that they have someone that special they hold onto him.

You do indeed build through the draft but finding a free agent or two (big name, not a David Bowens) is always a positive. If the Jets were to add Alan Faneca and do the rest through the draft, thats would be fine with me. Just please get SOMEONE in here to attract bigger names in the future and someone with experience who is a top level player.

that another good point in all this-if we don't make this team better what players would even want to sign here? If I'm a FA and I have a chance to go to Buffalo or the Jets, right now I'm eating Buffalo wings in '08

that another good point in all this-if we don't make this team better what players would even want to sign here? If I'm a FA and I have a chance to go to Buffalo or the Jets, right now I'm eating Buffalo wings in '08

Yeah, and you'll be eating them with a team that is being built primarily through the draft. Nice point, too, about Moss and Welker. How many current 18-1 Patriots were signed as FAs and how many were drafted? I dont know the answer but off the top of my head I bet its like 40+ guys drafted, the rest FAs (including the entire O and D lines).

Yeah, and you'll be eating them with a team that is being built primarily through the draft. Nice point, too, about Moss and Welker. How many current 18-1 Patriots were signed as FAs and how many were drafted? I dont know the answer but off the top of my head I bet its like 40+ guys drafted, the rest FAs (including the entire O and D lines).

there's a big difference between drafting guys like Mankins, Seymour and Wifat than say Cavka, Thomas and DRob

there's a big difference between drafting guys like Mankins, Seymour and Wifat than say Cavka, Thomas and DRob

No kidding :)

You have to draft good players. But just the same you have to sign good ones, too; which the Jets havent done so well either. I can add that you have to keep the good players that you draft (Thomas and McKenzie would have looked pretty good in Green these last few, miserable years - both Jet draftees).

No kidding :)

You have to draft good players. But just the same you have to sign good ones, too; which the Jets havent done so well either. I can add that you have to keep the good players that you draft (Thomas and McKenzie would have looked pretty good in Green these last few, miserable years - both Jet draftees).

agreed-thanks again Herman edwards for your total disregard in the most imortant unit on a professional football team-the offensive line. Marko Cavka, Adrian Jones, Dave Yovanovits, and Jonathon Goodwin-the only OLmen he drafted in 5 years. He KILLED this team

Someone show 124 this!

Draft McFadden, and get the needy positions through FREE AGENCY.

we have many more pressing needs at the moment than running back-if we DO draft McFadden I will be convinced this organization is finally going down the friggin tubes-again, not to beat a dead horse or nuthin' but Jones WITH an improved OL will get 1200 yards next year-pick a RB later if we can't grab someone like DeShawn Foster or a guy like that

so wait a minute you count 15 starters out of this?

Joel Dreessen and Justin Miller? Even Leon isn't the starting RB and Nugent OK starters on STs maybe-Vilma lost his job to harris and won't even BE a Jets in September

:confused:

I don't know what you were trying to prove. There are 53 men per active roster. Even the players that don't pan out will sometimes bring a return to the team (either through more picks or more players). You know that.

Of course you cannot build a team solely through the draft. UFA's both drafted and un-drafted contribute to a lot of rosters.

:confused:

I don't know what you were trying to prove. There are 53 men per active roster. Even the players that don't pan out will sometimes bring a return to the team (either through more picks or more players). You know that.

Of course you cannot build a team solely through the draft. UFA's both drafted and un-drafted contribute to a lot of rosters.

what I'm trying to say is this team is a long way away, we all know what we need and it ain't happening through the draft alone-we MUST spend every cent of that 27M under the cap (right now-may be more) if we want to see this team in contention again this decade-either through FAs AND trade and sign deals...that's all bro

what I'm trying to say is this team is a long way away, we all know what we need and it ain't happening through the draft alone-we MUST spend every cent of that 27M under the cap (right now-may be more) if we want to see this team in contention again this decade-either through FAs AND trade and sign deals...that's all bro

Well yeah, we don't get a discount for not spending the money. I'm even warming to the ways of the Redskins, where you sign whoever you want; come crunch-time convert salary into bonus.

But I kinda like the mystique of the draft. Trying to figure out who the next Walter Payton is, etc.

Building primarily through the draft does not work unless you keep your players happy and willig to resign with your ball club. Since Parcells left we seem to be pissing off our players with our negotiating tactics. The list is miles long:

James Farrior

Laverneous Coles (twice)

Pete Kendall

Kareem McKenzie

John Hall

Randy Thomas

Kerry Jenkins

Kevin Mawae

Jason Fabini

Chris Baker

We need free agents to replace the starting quality players that we were unable to keep or replace with draft picks. Unless we become the franchise that players want to play for we will need to keep spending big money on free agents to make up for our apparent lack of people skills.

Building primarily through the draft does not work unless you keep your players happy and willig to resign with your ball club. Since Parcells left we seem to be pissing off our players with our negotiating tactics. The list is miles long:

James Farrior

Laverneous Coles (twice)

Pete Kendall

Kareem McKenzie

John Hall

Randy Thomas

Kerry Jenkins

Kevin Mawae

Jason Fabini

Chris Baker

We need free agents to replace the starting quality players that we were unable to keep or replace with draft picks. Unless we become the franchise that players want to play for we will need to keep spending big money on free agents to make up for our apparent lack of people skills.

Except for every player you just listed is the fault of two people who, thank god, are no longer with our team. You cannot blame Mangini or Tannenbaum for any of that. They got themselves into trouble because they signed free agents to ridiculous contracts and when it came time to sign players who they drafted they didn't have the money to do so. Coles has nothing to do with our FO, he just knows that players hold a power by going to the media and complaining. The thing is, he is getting paid extremely well for playing for us and the fact that we guaranteed 11 mill over the next two years is amazing considering the huge risk he is of getting hurt and missing games. He thinks he can make more money and that's what he's trying to do, no different from the time he left us to take snyder's money and no different from the time he left snyder to come to us.

Someone show 124 this!

Draft McFadden, and get the needy positions through FREE AGENCY.

I love this site. and I love to obsess over this stuff with my fellow Jet fans.

Having said that I humbly and respectfully disagree with all of you McFadden people. And Faneca/Samuel people. In fact, I would deal everybody that doesnt fit the master plan, such as it is, for more draft picks: Chad, Coles, Ellis, Vilma, Robertson. If Chris Long is gone then I trade down for more picks (Dallas for #22 and #28 plus; Chicago for #14 plus; BAL for #8 plus; whatever). First and foremost the Jets need big people. Lots of big people to man both lines. I would like one of the OTs (Otah or Williams are my ideals) two of the DLs (Merling and Moore are my ideals) and some LBs. As it is the Jets' depth across the board is abysmal. We need players.

IMO.

Archived