THE END OF SHEA STADIUM

nylarry

2008 will mean the end of Shea stadium. Too bad the Jets cannot play one more game there. What are your fondest memories of Shea?

1. I saw Bob Gibson pitch there when he had the 1.12 ERA year

2. The Oakland -Jet game before super bowl 3.. I heard it on radio

3. Joe Namath vs the 49ers in the 70s the famous game he almost won coming off the bench.

4. 1969 world series

5. 1986 world series

6. Namath's only win vs the Dolphins after the merger 17-14

7. The Jets vs buffalo in Dec 1974,,,wild game

8. The famous come back game vs the fish on monday night football

2008 will mean the end of Shea stadium. Too bad the Jets cannot play one more game there. What are your fondest memories of Shea?

3. Joe Namath vs the 49ers in the 70s the famous game he almost won coming off the bench.

4. 1969 world series

5. 1986 world series

ON number 7, don't know if it was 73 or 74 you are referring to when OJ with Buffalo broke the

then rushing record. It was sleeting the whole game. Stuck to us like glue.

Was sick for 2 weeks.

Hadnt been to Shea alot, never saw a Jets game there. My fondest memory was probably watching a game from right behind the Mets dugout. My frends mom worked for a law firm and we got tickets for the game through her company. It was the closest to any field I had ever been. Butch Husky was playing first and we ragged him the whole game.

My fondest memories of shea:

when mets clinched nl east against phillies in 1988.

doubleheaders. they were always awesome. especially when you have a few rain delays.

game 7 of 2006 NLCS. Even though we lost, it was an awesome experience. Endy's catch was AMAZIN!

Worst memories of Shea:

Glavine's first game as a Met in 2003. Mets got their asses kicked 15-2. Walked out in I believe the 7th inning when the Mets infielders and outfielders let a pop fly drop. First time I walked out on a game since I was a child.

the Upper Deck.

bathrooms. what a sh!t hole.

field level- worst view of any baseball stadium I have ever been in. what a waste of money.

Saw the Jets beat the Colts in '72. It wasn't the 490 yard game, that was in Baltimore, but I'm pretty sure that Little Eddie Bell caught some kind of miracle pass to win at the end.

Saw Koosman's 20th.

Saw Aaron hit a few homers. My Grandfather tried to convert me to a Met fan and the Braves were the cheapest ticket. First Yankee game I went to they had sent him to the Brewers. I was so confused that I started thinking that Hank Aaron always played on the visiting team.

4. 1969 world series

5. 1986 world series

Larry, did you bump your head? (#8?)

Larry, did you bump your head? (#8?)

I am sorry that monday night game was in Giant stadium of course.

OJ was in 1973 it was Weeb"s last game coaching the Jets,,Joe threw 2 TD passes that game. Little Eddie Bell caught a last ditch Joe Namath bomb that bounced off a defender , he (bell) caught it in full stride after that and he jumped for joy in the endzone as the wind blew paper or garbage all over the endzone.

you will not know until April.....regardless that is a once in a lifetime chance go for it

so you think i should go to it...i won the lottery and am a DIE HARD mets fan but at the same time a DIE HARD jets fan...i think im gonna buy 3 to the mets yanks sunday game and 3 to the last game at shea

I was at the game against Baltimore where Joe Namath broke his wrist, I think it was 72. We had a friend with season tickets in the last row right between the goal posts. It was like climbing a mountain to get up there as a kid and it was really cold too. They just had like a chicken wire back and the wind was incredible. Eventually they put a tarp over the chicken wire, making it a little better. It was a good view, though, and I remember being there with my dad for several games, but Joe getting injured is the only detail I remember.

As a kid, my best friend was a die hard Mets fan and his dad knew someone in the Mets PR department and we were able to hang out between the Mets dugout and clubhouse. We got to meet George Bamberger, George Foster, Ron Gardhenhire, John Sterns and Dave Kingman. I got the to autograph my Topps Sticker Album, the Mets page. The we got to sit in the box seats and watched the Mets play the Phillies. I'm not a Mets fan, but I consider it one of the best days of my life.

4. 1969 world series

5. 1986 world series

i went there with my grandfather when i was maybe 5 or 6, he died the next year

Archived