Big Ben gets big contract

faba

Roethlisberger gets more than $36 million in guarantees in new deal

By Michael Smith

ESPN.com

(Archive)

Updated: March 3, 2008, 9:27 AM ET

The Pittsburgh Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger have agreed to a new eight-year, $102 million contract, according to sources.

Hashmarks

ESPN.com's Matt Mosley, Mike Sando and Pat Yasinskas are following the NFL free-agency frenzy and sharing their thoughts. Get the latest news from the always updated Hashmarks.

The contract, which includes more than $36 million in guarantees and is easily the largest in team history, places Big Ben among the game's highest-paid players. In comparison, Peyton Manning received a $34.5 million signing bonus in his big deal and Michael Vick received $37 million in guarantees from the Falcons in his mega deal. Both Manning's and Vick's deals were signed in 2004.

Roethlisberger now joins Manning, Brett Favre, Carson Palmer, Donovan McNabb and the suspended Vick in the $100 million quarterback club.

Roethlisberger's agents, Ryan and Bruce Tollner of REP 1 Sports, traveled to Pittsburgh and finalized the deal with the Steelers late Sunday night. The team is expected to announce the move Monday in a press conference.

Roethlisberger, who turned 26 on Sunday, is coming off a Pro Bowl season in which he completed more than 65 percent of his passes with a tean-record 32 touchdowns and an efficiency rating of 104.1, leading the Steelers to an AFC North title and the playoffs for the third time in his four seasons.

Roethlisberger, who two years ago became the youngest quarterback ever to win a Super Bowl, grew as a team leader last season and bounced back from a disappointing 2006 where his offseason was marred by a serious motorcycle accident.

In addition to a pay raise, the Steelers are also in the process of adding another weapon to Roethlisberger's arsenal. Pittsburgh hosted former Vikings running back Mewelde Moore on Sunday and his signing appears imminent.

Moore will provide Pittsburgh's offense with the legitimate receiving threat out of the backfield it had lacked. He's also likely to serve as the team's primary kickoff and punt returner.

Michael Smith is a senior writer for ESPN.com. ESPN.com's John Clayton contributed to this report.

8 years, $102 million, $36 million guarenteed for a GAME MANAGER? Holy christ. Somebody call Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Peyton and Tom should be making $25 million a year and over $50 millon guarenteed. My god.

8 years, $102 million, $36 million guarenteed for a GAME MANAGER? Holy christ. Somebody call Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. Peyton and Tom should be making $25 million a year and over $50 millon guarenteed. My god.

A "game manager" that threw for 32 TDs last season.

I moved the Pats\Moss thread into the Big Ben thread. Merged them incorrectly. I could move each individual post out but I have to head into a meeting so I am not going to.

Sorry in advance for any problems or confusion this may cause.

Signed,

JetNation (the site that cares)

Archived