Bryant Johnson looks ready to break out at 26

SoFlaJets

Is there ANY way we can afford this guy? I would like him over even Chad Johnson

Main feast is over, but some free-agent leftovers look tasty

March 6, 2008

By Pete Prisco

It's sort of like going into a top-tier electronics store late on the Friday after Thanksgiving. You look around for something good, and then it smacks you in the face:

The place has been picked clean.

That's how NFL team personnel have to be feeling now as they scan what's left on the free-agent market.

There isn't much.

Forget Pacman Jones. NFL teams made it rain, and the free agents gladly played the role of stripper. Let's just say a lot of marginal players got rich -- quickly.

But that doesn't mean there still aren't good players available. And unlike those who went in the first-week orgy we just witnessed, these players might actually come at a decent price.

Smart personnel men will step right on up now and make their moves.

One of the more perplexing players still left on the market is Arizona Cardinals receiver Bryant Johnson. At 26, he is coming off his best season, but the Cardinals have cap issues with the contract of Larry Fitzgerald taking $14.6 million in cap room, which is why they haven't been able to re-sign Johnson.

The Cardinals would like to bring Johnson back, but they can't with Fitzgerald's contract being so great. So why hasn't another team jumped in?

As the third receiver in Arizona, he was stuck playing behind Fitzgerald and Anquan Boldin, but he did get eight starts last year and caught a career-high 46 passes. At 6-3, 213 pounds, the former first-round pick has good size and good speed.

The Buffalo Bills, desperate for an improvement opposite Lee Evans, brought him in for a visit Monday and it appeared they might be on their way to signing him. But that hasn't happened yet and other teams have interest, including Tampa Bay and Washington.

He's the perfect free agent. A rising player who is only 26 years old who just needs a chance to start.

It's amazing that he's on the market. Price could be a factor. We've seen some outrageous receiver dollars thrown around, including the reported six-year, $55 million deal that included $16 million in guaranteed money the Oakland Raiders paid to Javon Walker

If price is an issue, I understand why he's still out there. Other than that, he's a player who should be gone by now.

There is value there.

He's one commodity in a picked-clean market that is worth a strong long look, and here are some others:

Josh Thomas, DE, Colts: He visited with the Titans on Wednesday. They need help at the spot after losing both Antwan Odom and Travis LaBoy in free agency. Thomas isn't a great edge rusher, but he plays hard and will be a quality third end. He's started at times in Indy and could come at a decent rate.

Chris Naeole, G, Jaguars: He has some injury issues, which is why the Jaguars released him. But if he can prove to teams he has rehabbed those injuries he can be a dominant right guard.

Eugene Wilson, S, Patriots: He has visited the Jets and Buccaneers in the past couple of days. Wilson can play both corner and free safety and he's still young at 26. He's the best safety left on the board.

D.J. Hackett, WR, Seahawks: When he hit the market, he looked like he might cash in big. But for some reason, he hasn't. He did miss time with an ankle injury last season, but in the games right before his injury he performed like a quality starter. His agent is now saying he might go back to Seattle.

Boss Bailey, LB, Lions: The brother of Broncos corner Champ Bailey might be on his way to joining his brother. The Broncos are in talks with Bailey to bring him aboard. That would be a good move. He can run and would add some speed to the defense. (March 6: Signed with Broncos)

Rex Hadnot, G, Dolphins: He is said to be seeking a deal similar to the $5 million per year deal the Dolphins gave to Justin Smiley. He visited the Texans and now will take some other visits.

Jake Scott, G, Colts: He has been a quality starter for the past three seasons. The Colts chose to re-sign Ryan Lilja, their other free-agent guard, but Scott can help another team. He did visit with the Titans on Wednesday.

Julius Jones, RB, Cowboys: I don't like paying backs from other teams, but for the right price Jones could be a quality backup. I hope he's not seeking starter money.

Marques Douglas, DT, 49ers: He can play tackle in a 4-3 or end in a 3-4. He's a good player who visited with the Titans on Wednesday.

okay we need a receiver and bryant johnson has great speed but has lacked making the catch in big situations

In the past decade, how many "big situations" have the Cardinals faced? If any at all, Johnson was the third best WR on the field and probably never saw that ball much anyway. He's a good player and if he can be had at the right price it's just one less need heading in to draft day.

He has great speed? I thought he was one of those 4.5-4.6 speed guys.

He is. He's not running away from any CB's in the league. He runs good routes and finds open spots in a zone but he's not fast by any means.

The othr problem is if we signed him he'd likely be making more money than Coles, which will pretty much send Coles through the roof.

In the past decade, how many "big situations" have the Cardinals faced? If any at all, Johnson was the third best WR on the field and probably never saw that ball much anyway. He's a good player and if he can be had at the right price it's just one less need heading in to draft day.

06-07 kc vs cards could have caught a deep ball by matt which he out ran the defender and dropped. every game you have opportunity to win the game for your team is a big situation

40 times dont mean **** when your running 50+ yards down field, i said speed not quickness. 40 is the measure of quickness. heh, not much of a field guy aye?

Huh???? 40 times measure nothing but speed. Cone drills and shuttles measure quickness.

Huh???? 40 times measure nothing but speed. Cone drills and shuttles measure quickness.

i ran track and played football. i run a 4.6 40. 40 is a quickness test, speed would be a 100 meter dash. cones is more of an explosion drill. example my friend can beat me in the 40 because he is quicker i beat him at the 100 because i have the overall speed

40 times dont mean **** when your running 50+ yards down field, i said speed not quickness. 40 is the measure of quickness. heh, not much of a field guy aye?

Well the 40 time would be how long the first 40 of those 50 yards would take him. Only 10 more after that

Archived