chris long in the green and white

aaronandthejets

long is the pass rusher that the jets miss some one to cause chaos for tom brady

look at the giants

too small for 3-4 end, not mobile enough for 3-4 OLB..

Good talaent, but not a special talent in my mind.

3-4 ends don't need to rush the passer. They need to take up blockers. Giants play 4-3.. totally different.

wow, that is such an amazing observation.....

.....it will also never happen. the raiders have basically said that long wont get past them

According to ESPN the Raiders might be done with the defense and might work on the offense. What does that mean ? McFadden is in their future.

I hope not. I'll hate that franchise for EVER!

According to ESPN the Raiders might be done with the defense and might work on the offense. What does that mean ? McFadden is in their future.

Not if Howie Jr. is on the board...

It doesn't matter what anyone says till Goodell announces the 4th overall pick on draft day. Nobody ever knows what the **** Al Davis is ever thinking.

too small for 3-4 end, not mobile enough for 3-4 OLB..

Good talaent, but not a special talent in my mind.

3-4 ends don't need to rush the passer. They need to take up blockers. Giants play 4-3.. totally different.

How so? His workout numbers were elite (3 cone, 20 yard shuttle, vertical, broad jump) and he showed great agility in the linebacker drills.

if you ever watched him play you saw that he is slow off the ball and AWFUL in space. he's not a 34 OLB.

His athletic skills are ELITE. All he needs is alittle coaching up in some areas, no different than Gholston or any other 3-4 OLB prospect.

His athletic skills are ELITE. All he needs is alittle coaching up in some areas, no different than Gholston or any other 3-4 OLB prospect.

It's very different. It's another instance of the Jets drafting an undersized player and HOPING he becomes a different player in the NFL. Thats the height of foolishness.

It's very different. It's another instance of the Jets drafting an undersized player and HOPING he becomes a different player in the NFL. Thats the height of foolishness.

Chris Long is not undersized for a 3-4 OLB.

You dont seem to know what you're talking about.

Chris Long is not undersized for a 3-4 OLB.

You dont seem to know what you're talking about.

I don't think he's undersized for a 3/4 OLB Barton but I don't think he's got the quickness that you need for the position. I think he'd be fantastic as a DE in a 4/3 but I honestly don't think he fits our scheme.

I would be thrilled to see Chris Long still not picked when we are up at 6. I doubt it happens, though. I like Chris Long, because he played the 3-4 in college, although he's probably too small to play 3-4 Defensive End, just the fact that he played defensive end in college means so much. I know we probably wont get him, and we might have to choose between McFadden, Gholston, and trading it away.

Anyone who thinks he's not mobile enough for OLB is f'ing crazy. His workout numbers showed that he's got tremendous athletic ability and how the hell is he undersized for 3-4 OLB'er????

4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB basically have the same roles anyways so if he's such a good prospect there he should be a darn good 3-4 OLB'er too.

Anyone who watches a 3-4 regurlarly will know that the hybrid OLB'ers are not caled into coverage too often. Shawn Merriman for example is absolutely awful in coverage.

Long would be a good fit in either scheme.

How so? His workout numbers were elite (3 cone, 20 yard shuttle, vertical, broad jump) and he showed great agility in the linebacker drills.

I couldn't care less what a guy does in workouts. i want to see it on the FIELD.

Anyone who thinks he's not mobile enough for OLB is f'ing crazy. His workout numbers showed that he's got tremendous athletic ability and how the hell is he undersized for 3-4 OLB'er????

4-3 DE and 3-4 OLB basically have the same roles anyways so if he's such a good prospect there he should be a darn good 3-4 OLB'er too.

Anyone who watches a 3-4 regurlarly will know that the hybrid OLB'ers are not caled into coverage too often. Shawn Merriman for example is absolutely awful in coverage.

Long would be a good fit in either scheme.

Simply put.. I couldn't care less what he did at the combine or a pro day. You don't stop ball carriers at those events. I care how they play FOOTBALL. I think Long is a very good player, but when you're drafting #6 you just DO NOT draft someone, in my opinion, you have not seen perform at that same position on the FOOTBALL FIELD.

That's just my opinion. I'm not a fan of wasting #6 on a project (yes, changing positions automatically makes him a project in my eyes). It may pan out, I have absolutely no idea, but I'm not willing to take the chance for 15-18M guaranteed or whatever it'll be.

In my eyes, this team needs OFFENSIVE gamebreakers. If the Jets do not think it's McFadden, deal down to soemone who does. However, players like McFadden mean we have the opportunity to SCORE from ANY POSITION on the field. Are there any other players on this team you feel that way about? Not me.

Simply put.. I couldn't care less what he did at the combine or a pro day. You don't stop ball carriers at those events. I care how they play FOOTBALL. I think Long is a very good player, but when you're drafting #6 you just DO NOT draft someone, in my opinion, you have not seen perform at that same position on the FOOTBALL FIELD.

That's just my opinion. I'm not a fan of wasting #6 on a project (yes, changing positions automatically makes him a project in my eyes). It may pan out, I have absolutely no idea, but I'm not willing to take the chance for 15-18M guaranteed or whatever it'll be.

The great majority of 3-4 OLBs in the NFL were 4-3 DEs in college. If they are athletic enough to play the position, it is not a big transition at all. In fact, I cannot even think of a great 3-4 OLB in the NFL who was not a DE in college.

The great majority of 3-4 OLBs in the NFL were 4-3 DEs in college. If they are athletic enough to play the position, it is not a big transition at all. In fact, I cannot even think of a great 3-4 OLB in the NFL who was not a DE in college.

And I'd prefer to not take a risk with the #6 pick on someone who may or may not make the transition based on some friggen pro-day numbers.. I usually ignore the combine/pro day because it's meaningless info. Let's see how he THROWS, RUNS, TACKLES on the football FIELD!

And I'd prefer to not take a risk with the #6 pick on someone who may or may not make the transition based on some friggen pro-day numbers.. I usually ignore the combine/pro day because it's meaningless info. Let's see how he THROWS, RUNS, TACKLES on the football FIELD!

Uh, yeah. Chris Long started for Virginia. He made tackles. He made sacks.

Everyone knows how he plays, so what is your point? The measurables just back up his outstanding play.

Uh, yeah. Chris Long started for Virginia. He made tackles. He made sacks.

Everyone knows how he plays, so what is your point? The measurables just back up his outstanding play.

He wants McFadden.

For me Chris Long is everything you want in a football player, and I would be excited to pick him up if he drops to 6. I wasn't complete sure how to feel about him in the 3-4, I thought he was just a high motor over achiever. I watched the combine though on the NFL network and he really did impress me. What really sold me was he seems to have some of the most natural hips I've ever seen in a guy his size on the coverage drills, and I love his competitive streak. I think he could be a good 3-4 OLB. Between him and Gholston I would take the guy who's a little slower but you know is going 100% every play, then the guy who is goin to disappear at times.

He wants McFadden.

For me Chris Long is everything you want in a football player, and I would be excited to pick him up if he drops to 6. I wasn't complete sure how to feel about him in the 3-4, I thought he was just a high motor over achiever. I watched the combine though on the NFL network and he really did impress me. What really sold me was he seems to have some of the most natural hips I've ever seen in a guy his size on the coverage drills, and I love his competitive streak. I think he could be a good 3-4 OLB. Between him and Gholston I would take the guy who's a little slower but you know is going 100% every play, then the guy who is goin to disappear at times.

No. I don't necessarily want McFadden. I think he's going to be the BPA at 6 though. I want an offensive gamebreaker.... I don't want someone we have to swap positions with. Me not wanting a guy (at 6, trust me, I'd take Long, but I'm not drafting a guy at 6 I have to change positions with) has NOTHING to do with McFadden.

At 3-4 OLB?

No. But that is a moot point because 3-4 OLBs in the NFL were DEs in college.

I'm guessing with your opinion on this, you'd never take a 3-4 OLB prospect in the 1st round? (considering all of them were DEs in college, making them "projects" in the nfl, according to you).

No. But that is a moot point because 3-4 OLBs in the NFL were DEs in college.

I'm guessing with your opinion on this, you'd never take a 3-4 OLB prospect in the 1st round? (considering all of them were DEs in college, making them "projects" in the nfl, according to you).

No, it's not moot.

Never take a 3-4 OLB prospect in round 1? Nope.. not my argument.

Now not in the top 5-10, because yes, they ARE Projects.... no, I wouldn't do it. Not unless he played standing up a LOT in college. When you're drafting in the top 6, you better be sure that you're making the best judgement based on what you are seeing on the football FIELD. Jury is out on Long. He could be a stud and I'd be dead wrong not taking him at 6... However, that's not the argument. My point is go with as close to a sure thing as you can get in the top 6.

If Long somehow falls to 6 and the Jets haven't dealt the pick, they have to get him. Pace and Long on the outside with Thomas and Bowens backing up (if they didn't have to cut one of them for cap reasons) would be pretty damn solid ... and YES, Chris can play 3-4 OLB. Watch him in game action and tell me he doesn't have the speed, moves, strength, and quickness to play at DE or OLB. He can line up at DE and they can move Coleman or Ellis inside on passing downs. With Harris at MLB, they would have a pretty solid front 7 for years to come. I'm hoping they address the other ILB position in the middle of the draft but then again they could do worse than Barton for the time being. Anyway, this interview is from Long's pro day is on NFL.COM and has game film as well:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d8074a7eb

I'd rather have them stockpile picks, than keep the #6, but Long is a beast. I like Gholston a lot too but Long even has the bloodline and grew up with an NFL Dad. He was also coached by Groh (who I can't stand but he is a very good college coach), who is from Parcells Tree - where Mangini is from as well. Long is the type of guy who is ready to come to this team and go through a Mangini boot camp. Gholston may be too but I like the safer pick if you are investing in a top 10. Long is who I'd rather have, given the choice. Personally I'd prefer they go for a WR later in the round after trading the #6, but they may be able to snatch one in the 2nd round as well. I also see CB as a big need that needs to be adressed on day one. Trading the pick really allows them to fill more holes and create more competition. If they choose wisely, this can be a monumental draft for the franchise.

In my eyes, this team needs OFFENSIVE gamebreakers. If the Jets do not think it's McFadden, deal down to soemone who does. However, players like McFadden mean we have the opportunity to SCORE from ANY POSITION on the field. Are there any other players on this team you feel that way about? Not me.

We also need a ****ing pass rusher. I'm sick of watching Tom Brady stand back there for minutes at a time, as he carves up our defence. I'm sick of our Line being pushed around like little bitches, I'm sick of us having to blitz on every ****ing down just to get near the QB, leaving our CB's isolated.

We need gamebreakers yes, but we need pass rushers a lot ****ing more.

I think if it comes down to either Chris Long, and Darren McFadden, then you would have to go with Chris Long. Sure, McFadden is the offensive gamebreaker that we've been missing in like forever, but Chris Long would make our defense unstopable. He has played the 3-4 in college before, so thats a plus. I know he wont fall to 6, but we can only hope...

Archived