Yankees opt to have Joba come out of bullpen for now

TaborJet

Yankees opt to have Joba come out of bullpen for now

Associated Press

Wednesday, March 19, 2008

TAMPA, Fla. -- Joba Chamberlain will begin the season in the New York Yankees' bullpen.

"We think that's where he fits best right now," manager Joe Girardi said Wednesday.

For much of spring training, Chamberlain was a contender for a spot in the starting rotation. He was a starter in college and the minors before New York switched him to a relief role last year and called him up in August to boost its shaky bullpen.

When asked if Chamberlain would go back to the setup role he thrived in as a rookie last season, Girardi refused to be specific. But he did say Chamberlain would pitch late in games.

"He's a back-end guy. That's how I'm going to classify him," Girardi said.

The 22-year-old right-hander had prepared as a starter this spring, but wasn't surprised by the decision.

"I had an idea if everybody stayed healthy this would happen," he said. "It's best for the team right now. It's about winning games. It's not about Joba Chamberlain."

The Yankees' projected rotation includes Chien-Ming Wang, Andy Pettitte, Mike Mussina, Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy.

The team said it still expects Chamberlain to be a starter down the road, but Girardi wouldn't commit to saying it would happen this season.

"We have not got that far," Girardi said. "I'm going to put it this way, we consider him a starter in the future. I don't want to be locked into a timetable. You know that's my personality."

Chamberlain started Saturday against Detroit in a split-squad game and allowed three runs and four hits in three innings. He has a 6.14 ERA in 7 1-3 innings this spring.

Chamberlain is scheduled to pitch out of the bullpen Thursday and Saturday. He is expected to work on consecutive days next week.

"I really wasn't wondering at all," Chamberlain said. "It's great not only to know, but just to get your routine going. The routine is going to be the hardest part. Sitting there [in the bullpen] and when the inning comes up, get ready."

Chamberlain went 2-0 with a 0.38 ERA and one save in 19 games last season. He struck out 34 and walked six in 24 innings.

As much as I hate to say it, this move really is for the best at this very moment. Until people like Alan Horne, Mark Melancon, and Humberto Sanchez come up, that is where Joba should be. Horne, and Sanchez should be in the majors this year. Melancon might be in the majors this year, because I hear many calling him the next Joba for the Yankees.

The Yankees will be back to dynasty form in the bully. Keep it close til the 7th and game over. :cool:

I agree, the back end of the Yanks bullpen is as good as it get with Rivera a Joba. The issue is can the starting rotation relying on 2 rookies and Mike Mussina get you to the 7th? I see the Yanks winning a bunch of 10-8 games.

I don't see why the majority of people think the Yankees bullpen is a problem. Rivera, and Joba are the obvious 8-9 inning guys. LaTroy Hawkins, and Kyle Farnsworth have been solid so far this spring. Plus we've got more guys that have performed really well this spring. Ohlendorf, Traber, Patterson, Britton, hell even Brian Bruney.

I think the people locked to make the bullpen right now are Rivera, Joba, Hawkins, Farnsworth, and Ohlendorf. So the last two spots are most likely between Traber, Patterson, Britton, and Bruney.

The Yankees will be back to dynasty form in the bully. Keep it close til the 7th and game over. :cool:

Um, one of these years Mo isn't going to have it anymore. I hope it's not for a while, but you never know.

Um, one of these years Mo isn't going to have it anymore. I hope it's not for a while, but you never know.

That's true. But I will take Mo on 80% , rather than most relievers in the majors. Until he shows me he has lost it, I will continue to support him being handed the ball in the 9th.

Luckily we have his successor ready in Joba. I would have liked to seen him as a starter but our bullpen is horrific without him.

This next season hinges on Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy. At least one of those two have to win 16 games or more or the Yankees are going to miss the playoffs.

Luckily we have his successor ready in Joba. I would have liked to seen him as a starter but our bullpen is horrific without him.

This next season hinges on Phil Hughes and Ian Kennedy. At least one of those two have to win 16 games or more or the Yankees are going to miss the playoffs.

I think Kennedy is going to have a terrific year. I think the kid ends up with 18+ wins and a respectable era. I think Hughes has a better year than last and makes some significant progress toward being an ace.

This does seem like a smart move for now. However my biggest worry is Mussina, I don't see how we're going to be able to deal with this guy pitching for a whole season. They need to find another starter.

The return of Carl Pavano. ;)

This has to be temporary. Even if Rivera goes down, they can't make this kid the perminant closer for the long term. If you've got a choice between a dominant starter and a dominant closer, why would you make him a closer?

Archived