New 4 Round Mock (with explanations)

Untouchable

1st round: OLB Vernon Gholston - Ohio State

Oakland snatches McFadden at #4 so the Jets take the dynamic passrusher. Pace and Gholston coupled on the outside is scary. The Jets are really starting to look like a 2 gap 3-4 with this move.

2nd round: DE Dre Moore - Maryland

Shaun Ellis is getting long in the tooth and we need to be looking for more talent on the D-line. Moore has the ideal size (6'4 312) and skill set to be a Ty Warren-esque presence at 3-4 DE.

4th round: WR Eddie Royal - Virginia Tech

Royal would fit in perfectly as our speedster in the slot. Has hands of glue, runs crisp routes, and gives added value as a top notch returnman. Was the Hokies go-to guy on offense for the past two years.

4th round: OT Barry Richardson - Clemson

Damien Woody is a very nice stop-gap at RT, but the Jets still need a prospect to groom as his replacement. Barry was considered a late 1st/early 2nd round selection in September but injuries have hurt his stock. Could see a nice battle between Richardson and Bender for the starting job down the road.

2008 Starting Lineup

QB Kellen Clemens

RB Thomas Jones

FB Tony Richardson

WR Laveranues Coles

WR Jerricho Cotchery

TE Chris Baker

LT D'Brickashaw Ferguson

LG Alan Faneca

C Nick Mangold

RG Brandon Moore

RT Damien Woody

DE Shaun Ellis/Dre Moore

NT Kris Jenkins

DE Kenyon Coleman

OLB Calvin Pace

ILB David Harris

ILB Eric Barton/Bryan Thomas

OLB Vernon Gholston

CB Darrelle Revis

CB Justin Miller/Andre Woolfolk

FS Kerry Rhodes

SS Abram Elam

Im not excited about Justin Miller OR David Barrett as our #2 CB in the secondary, I would much rather take the best CB on the board in the 2nd round before Dre Moore

And if we were to draft CB in the 2nd, I would be all for the Eddie Royal pick in the 4th round for our Slot WR position, he's gonna be special and with our 2nd 4th rounder, I would mucher rather go for the best IMLB and focus on the O-Line and D-Line in the later rounds

Good mock though

It's unlikely but is definitely a possibility. Many thought David Harris would be a 1st round pick, sometimes people just fall.

The two players im really wishing that fall to the second round would be Kenny Phillips and Groves. Either way, one of those two players would be a great pickup for the Jets in round 2

The two players im really wishing that fall to the second round would be Kenny Phillips and Groves. Either way, one of those two players would be a great pickup for the Jets in round 2

Sound's like from his Wonderlic Kenny Philips is an idiot. We already have a retard who hit's hard in Elam.

you can't just arbitrarily move b thomas to ILB. he either plays OLB, sits the bench, or gets cut - you can't just change his position b/c you feel like it.

Won't really know till we try..... Though I think Pace is the one we should switch to ILB if we get Gholston.

We switched his position once already and he had the best season of his career.

Ahhh .. but what if the Jets have drafted Gholston and then Groves is there for them at #36? That would sort of suck. Anyway, I love the Moore pick in the second round. I think Ellis is as weak a link as Barrett/Miller/Coleman, and I dont much care for any of those guys - I just dislike Ellis more. And seriously upgrading the front seven cannot but help the secondary, such as it is.

Ahhh .. but what if the Jets have drafted Gholston and then Groves is there for them at #36? That would sort of suck. Anyway, I love the Moore pick in the second round. I think Ellis is as weak a link as Barrett/Miller/Coleman, and I dont much care for any of those guys - I just dislike Ellis more. And seriously upgrading the front seven cannot but help the secondary, such as it is.

Well if we draft Gholston at #6, Groves would be out of the picture

But I have to agree to disagree on Ellis. Ellis may not be a good fit for the 4-3 as of right now in his career, but he's like the perfect de in the 3-4 in terms of stuffing the run. He played pretty good last season with Robertson at NT, I cant wait till he plays alongside Jenkins

Well if we draft Gholston at #6, Groves would be out of the picture

But I have to agree to disagree on Ellis. Ellis may not be a good fit for the 4-3 as of right now in his career, but he's like the perfect de in the 3-4 in terms of stuffing the run. He played pretty good last season with Robertson at NT, I cant wait till he plays alongside Jenkins

Is that a joke????

Ellis was ****ing awful last season. He's a terrible 3-4 End. He can't cope with being doubled at all. He and Bryan Thomas were basically ghosts out there.

Is that a joke????

Ellis was ****ing awful last season. He's a terrible 3-4 End. He can't cope with being doubled at all. He and Bryan Thomas were basically ghosts out there.

LE's in the 3-4 D really NEVER put up huge numbers. Ellis played solid last year playing next to ROBERTSON!

Like 50 tackles and 5 sacks

Ty Warren for the Patriots only had 53 tackles with 4 sacks, playing next to Wilfrok

So No, its not a joke.

LE's in the 3-4 D really NEVER put up huge numbers. Ellis played solid last year playing next to ROBERTSON!

Ty Warren for the Patriots only had 53 tackles with 4 sacks, playing next to Wilfrok

So No, its not a joke.

No, Coleman played solid. He was able to hold his own on the line.

Ellis and Robertson were awful and were spending more time getting pushed 10 yards downfield than anything else.

Stats mean nothing like you said, so don't even mention them. I'm basing my opinions on how he was constantly dominated on the line and how he was easily pushed away from the play.

I don't rate him at all and can't wait until we find a replacement for him.

No, Coleman played solid. He was able to hold his own on the line.

Ellis and Robertson were awful and were spending more time getting pushed 10 yards downfield than anything else.

Stats mean nothing like you said, so don't even mention them. I'm basing my opinions on how he was constantly dominated on the line and how he was easily pushed away from the play.

I don't rate him at all and can't wait until we find a replacement for him.

Jenkins will take up double teams and allow Ellis to make the plays needed for a 3-4 DE. Stats may not be everything but at the same time Ellis had 5 sacks and Coleman only had 1

I dont now about you, but I know im excited about Ellis next to Jenkins

So No, its not a joke.

Ellis Sucked, You either didn't watch him last year or have no understanding of the 3-4

Ellis didnt have a 3-4 NT, which is the HEART of a 3-4 Defense.

Maybe your the one who doesnt "Understand" how the 3-4 works

I agree that he was playing in bad circumstances but I've never been a huge fan of Ellis. Even in the 4-3 I thought he dissapeared way too often.

He's still very small for a 3-4 End doesn't command double blocking, which all 3-4 lineman should.

He still wouldn't be a 3-4 DE if the Stay Puft marshmallow man was our NT. By your reasoning Ellis was a much better then Coleman, and Drob is as good or better then Wilfork. Stats don't mean **** in the 3-4. Ellis can't hold his own on the line and he doesn't belong in this scheme, I would love to see him replaced. He wasn't even anything special in the 4-3.

He still wouldn't be a 3-4 DE if the Stay Puft marshmallow man was our NT. By your reasoning Ellis was a much better then Coleman, and Drob is as good or better then Wilfork. Stats don't mean **** in the 3-4. Ellis can't hold his own on the line and he doesn't belong in this scheme, I would love to see him replaced. He wasn't even anything special in the 4-3.

Agree with everything. Like Vilma and obertson, he's undersized and gets blown up way too easy and way too often.

OK. None of us are experts. It seems to me that Ellis gets routinely pushed around (except for the PIT game where he played some OLB and was the exception that proves the rule). Robertson was not so bad that everyone else has a built in excuse to get pushed around.

In any event, we can all agree that another DE for rotational purposes and depth couldnt hurt. It all starts on the D-line. I'd rather build from the inside out.

I would take this four round mock and run away with it. The only thing the Jets would have to worry about in '08 would be who the QB would be and how he would be perform. If the answer was anywhere near good and mistake free (for the most part) for how he would play, the Jets would be legit contenders in the AFC in 2008.

I would take this four round mock and run away with it. The only thing the Jets would have to worry about in '08 would be who the QB would be and how he would be perform. If the answer was anywhere near good and mistake free (for the most part) for how he would play, the Jets would be legit contenders in the AFC in 2008.

Agreed. So much relies on the QB play this season, it will be the difference between us being a Contender or Top 10 draft pick.

Whoever it is though, they're in a much, much better situation than 2007.

Agreed. So much relies on the QB play this season, it will be the difference between us being a Contender or Top 10 draft pick.

Whoever it is though, they're in a much, much better situation than 2007.

And you and ecurb will just continue to be d'bags, no matter if its 2008 or 2007. ;-)

Archived