NFLN | On the Clock | NYJ

rick34125

Dan Leberfeld does a nice job imo discussing the Jets needs and dispelling the media created rumors about Tangini. nfl network also does a nice job.

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d807aca3b

Let me ask you something, would you be happy with the defense being in the top five and giving up 18 points a game?

How many here would think, "Wow, yeah I'd sign for that in a second."?

Let me ask you something, would you be happy with the defense being in the top five and giving up 18 points a game?

How many here would think, "Wow, yeah I'd sign for that in a second."?

I guess that would depend on how many points our offense could score a game. ;)

Well, our defense did just that after the bye week. One of the top scoring defenses in football, giving up 18 points a game. Yet we went three and four after that bye week with wins against the mighty Dolphins and Chiefs.

Gholston + Our Defense > McFadden + Our Offense?

How many points are we giving up a game with Gholston? Six, seven? How much better can we be than last year (not even taking into account the additions of Jenkins and Pace) Are we averaging a shutout? We gonna be an All Time defense?

We need offensive help WAY more than we need defensive help. It's not even close.

I always hear about how we need to build a team to beat the Patriots (which is a mindset that I don't necessarily agree with but I'll humor that idea for a second)

We need to figure out a way to score more than ten points against the Patriots.

Well, our defense did just that after the bye week. One of the top scoring defenses in football, giving up 18 points a game. Yet we went three and four after that bye week with wins against the mighty Dolphins and Chiefs.

How many points are we giving up a game with Gholston? Six, seven? How much better can we be than last year (not even taking into account the additions of Jenkins and Pace) Are we averaging a shutout? We gonna be an All Time defense?

We need offensive help WAY more than we need defensive help. It's not even close.

I always hear about how we need to build a team to beat the Patriots (which is a mindset that I don't necessarily agree with but I'll humor that idea for a second)

They have made a major step in figuring it out. An OL that can actually give the QB more then 2 seconds to throw the ball, and the RB at least a crease to run in.

I think the O will be very improved next season. Not a high scoring, lighting bolt, but a steady chain mover that finishes drives, and puts points on the board.

McFadden is a weapon that you will have (barring injury, earthquake or armageddon) on the field almost every down you play. The defense will have to defend him every down you play. His presence on the field makes everyone better, he is a home run threat when given the ball and is a good receiver out of the backfield as well. You want to help either Chad (God, I hope it's Clemens) or Kellen (God, I hope it's Clemens)? Put this kid on the field, let them check down to him, get the ball in his hands. You want to slow a pass rush? Get the ball to your back on little swing passes etc. The whole offense gets better with this kid. Granted, he's not a guarantee, but neither is this guy:

Gholston - Who, from what I understand, is a guy that gets three sacks in one game and then disappears the next.

If I'm taking a chance, I'm going offense for the reasons I've already stated. You're not giving up much less than 18 points a game unless your defense becomes the Super Bowl winning Ravens, Buccaneers or the Bears. I'm not banking on that.

WE NEED OFFENSE

They have made a major step in figuring it out. An OL that can actually give the QB more then 2 seconds to throw the ball, and the RB at least a crease to run in.

I think the O will be very improved next season. Not a high scoring, lighting bolt, but a steady chain mover that finishes drives, and puts points on the board.

Thomas Jones is not a point putter on the boarder. Never has been.

If you were talking about Mendenhall instead of McFadden then I would agree with you. Of all the 'skill' offensive players available in this draft I think Mendenhall is the most solid pick. I wouldn't want to spend the sixth pick on a RB just because I dont view RB as a dire need but if they traded down and took Mendenhall then I'd be very excited. I would prefer Harvey or Groves (depending on where they pick) but neither is as sure a thing as Mendenhall. Mendenhall will be a star RB in the NFL.

McFadden is a weapon that you will have (barring injury, earthquake or armageddon) on the field almost every down you play. The defense will have to defend him every down you play. His presence on the field makes everyone better, he is a home run threat when given the ball and is a good receiver out of the backfield as well. You want to help either Chad (God, I hope it's Clemens) or Kellen (God, I hope it's Clemens)? Put this kid on the field, let them check down to him, get the ball in his hands. You want to slow a pass rush? Get the ball to your back on little swing passes etc. The whole offense gets better with this kid. Granted, he's not a guarantee, but neither is this guy:

Gholston - Who, from what I understand, is a guy that gets three sacks in one game and then disappears the next.

If I'm taking a chance, I'm going offense for the reasons I've already stated. You're not giving up much less than 18 points a game unless your defense becomes the Super Bowl winning Ravens, Buccaneers or the Bears. I'm not banking on that.

WE NEED OFFENSE

McFadden is skinny. Its a risky thing the NFL.

By the way: I, unlike my more famous (infamous) brother, am not a total McFaddenite. I'm about 60 - 40 McFadden over Gholston, because frankly, the idea of Gholston turning into a beast and chasing Tom Brady around for five years gets me a little giddy. If they draft Gholston I would be very optimistic and not incredibly disappointed.

Actually, the only position that I don't want them to draft is CB. If they draft a CB, I will puke into an envelope and mail it to Tannenbaum (I may have to use UPS actually, I'm still working on the details)

By the way: I, unlike my more famous (infamous) brother, am not a total McFaddenite. I'm about 60 - 40 McFadden over Gholston, because frankly, the idea of Gholston turning into a beast and chasing Tom Brady around for five years gets me a little giddy. If they draft Gholston I would be very optimistic and not incredibly disappointed.

Actually, the only position that I don't want them to draft is CB. If they draft a CB, I will puke into an envelope and mail it to Tannenbaum (I may have to use UPS actually, I'm still working on the details)

and who would you have the Jets play next to Revis? Barrett?

You're saying that our defense, without a legitimate NT, a mediocre LB crew, no pass rush and a weak secondary won't be better with a legit NT, an above average (or better) LB crew, a pass rush and possibly the best CB tandem in the league (if we draft CB in the 2nd round)? :-s

You expect Jones and Washington to just disappear? How many touches do you expect Mcfadden to have a game? How many 2 back sets will we show? I'm not against Mcfadden I just don't think he will be able to impact our offense as much as Gholston could. And that's giving Mcfadden the benefit of the doubt that he won't implode under the big city lights.

As far as scoring more points the OL is more important than the RB. Just look at teams like Denver that have successful plug and play RB rotations. If our OL is the real deal then Jones and Washington will make you forget all about Mcfadden. And if its not Mcfadden at #6 will look like a bust. Besides I have my doubts if he would fit our locker room. There's a good ESPN article on Ryan Leaf talking about this very point. Good player bad fit.

You're saying that our defense, without a legitimate NT, a mediocre LB crew, no pass rush and a weak secondary won't be better with a legit NT, an above average (or better) LB crew, a pass rush and possibly the best CB tandem in the league (if we draft CB in the 2nd round)? :-s

Better question: How did you get THAT from what I wrote? I'm saying how MUCH better can we possibly be than top five in the league? How many LESS points can we give up than 18? What do we need MORE?

And while we're here, how are you annointing second year Player A (Revis) and unknown rookie player B (unknown) the best tandem in the league? Oh wait, you said possibly.

Okay, I say we draft (possibly) the best running back in the history of not only the NY Jets, but the National Football League itself. Wow, you're right, that IS fun!

Just so we're on the same page, the choice is either Barrett or we draft a CB in a CB laden draft with the sixth overall pick? I'm not sure I like that choice... ummm...can we do something else?

why does it have to be the 6th overall pick? weve already got one very pricey first round cb, we can probably wait till 2nd or 4th round.

I don't know how many points we can hold teams to. From the look of it let's say we don't give up more than a touchdown a game. All I know is whatever it is our defense already looks a lot better than last year with just 2 new additions. Drafting defense in the 1st 2 rounds will seal the deal.

why does it have to be the 6th overall pick? weve already got one very pricey first round cb, we can probably wait till 2nd or 4th round.

Great cb's are becoming very expensive in free agency so getting a great one at 6 (assuming a great one is available) could actually be a bargain (maybe not by much given the ridiculous rookie contracts but you get the idea).

I agree though, I prefer a position closer to either of the lines at 6.

I would love ( I used italics so you would know I really meant it) to get Brandon Flowers in the second round. He seems like a player that Mangini would like as well, very smart (okay, I do mean slow and short when I say smart, but I really do like the player, from what I've seen), very good, solid football player, tackles like a ------- (rhymes with otherpucker) and seems very sound fundamentally.

"If our OL is the real deal then Jones and Washington will make you forget all about Mcfadden."

If our OL is the real deal, then Darren McFadden will make you forget your wife's name. (I'm assuming your married, if not then he'll just make you forget your own name)

It's Ok I don't need Darren Mcfadden for that. ;)

More likely if Darren Mcfadden is on the team I'll be preoccupied wondering how long before he'll be returning from IR.

Dude, wake up. Have you read the newspaper. We've got the New England Patriots in our division. HELLO. You think Darren Mcfadden is the answer? You think Mcfadden is the f***ing second coming or something. If we can't stop their offense what f***ing chance do you think we will have to outscore them. Sheeesh.

Dude, you're apoplectic. And not too good with the reading comprehension thing. Have you been reading my posts?

Since you want to open this can of worms...Do you think GHOLSTON is going to make us into some sort of Monster Defense?? When did HE become a guarantee??

Okay--you're turning me into a McFaddenite and that's not what I am. My point was and is that we need help on offense WAY more than defense and I'll stand by that. So if we're taking shots, I would rather take a shot with the guy that can change our whole offense. Did you WATCH any Viking games last year?? That offense is f-ing putrid. I'm not comparing McFadden to Peterson, but to say that he is NOT even close is just as bad. I'm taking the chance that he is. He tore up the SEC like nobody in history, I'm rolling the dice with the potentially special offensive player, the guy who touches the ball twenty five times a game, the guy that can potentially elevate your whole offensive team immeasurably by his very presence. The offense needs the shot more than the defense. We're not holding teams to nine points a game. Defense wins Championships? The Steelers had Bradshaw and Lynn Swann and John Stallworth and Franco Harris, the Niners had some guy named Montana and Dwight Clark and Roger Craig and some other dude I saw on dancing with the stars I can't think of his name right now but it's a kind of carbohydrate based food God what's his name, even the Bears had some guy that retired as the all time NFL leading rusher and Willie Gault, I'll keep going if you want...

If we can't stop their offense what f***ing chance do you think we will have to outscore them. Sheeesh.

\

This is a chicken and egg argument. I say that if we can't move the ball against them, what chance do we have to stop their offense? The defense can only stonewall them so many times, they're going to click eventually if your offense keeps giving them the f****ing ball back. Sheeesh. We scored twenty four points against them last year in two games combined. In baseball that's unbelievable, hockey, a f-ing mazing. The SAT's, your credit report and football - not so much.

\

Dude, you're apoplectic. And not too good with the reading comprehension thing. Have you been reading my posts?

Since you want to open this can of worms...Do you think GHOLSTON is going to make us into some sort of Monster Defense?? When did he become a guarantee??

Okay--you're turning me into a McFaddenite and that's not what I am. My point was and is that we need help on offense WAY more than defense and I'll stand by that. So if we're taking shots, I would rather take a shot with the guy that can change our whole offense. Did you WATCH any Viking games last year?? That offense is f-ing putrid. I'm not comparing McFadden to Peterson, but to say that he is NOT even close is just as bad. I'm taking the chance that he is. He tore up the SEC like nobody in history, I'm rolling the dice with the special offensive player, the guy who touches the ball twenty five times a game, the guy that can elevate your whole offensive team immeasurably by his very presence. The offense needs the shot more than the defense. We're not holding teams to nine points a game. Defense wins Championships? The Steelers had Bradshaw and Lynn Swann and John Stallworth and Franco Harris, the Niners had some guy named Montana and Dwight Clark and Roger Craig and some other dude I saw on dancing with the stars I can't think of his name right now but it's a kind of carbohydrate based food God what's his name, even the Bears had some guy that retired as the all time NFL leading rusher and Willie Gault, I'll keep going if you want...

This is a chicken and egg argument. I say that if we can't move the ball against them, what chance do we have to stop their offense? The defense can only stonewall them so many times, they're going to click eventually if your offense keeps giving them the f****ing ball back. Sheeesh.

What does apoplectic mean? Does it require a prescription?

and yeah I don't think Mcfadden will help our offense as much as you obviously do. not that i dont' agree with the scouts I just think Clemens and the OL will tell the story of our offense next season.

On the other hand I think this is a draft that could put our defense on the next level. Some fans think we should take a WR at #36, but I think CB is a no brainer. So given that, if we have the opportunity to take Gholston at #6 we should do it and put a defense on the field that could compete with New England.

Like I said before our offenses success will have more to do with our OL and QB play then whether we draft Mcfadden. To take the best advantage of this draft we need to draft defense day one.

Who'd the giants have at running back? I think Thomas Jones is pretty good but Leon is the man. I've swayed between gholston and mcfadden but I'm back to wanting Gholston, although I'd be happy if the FO picked either one. Who knows if we'll even have a shot at both

What does apoplectic mean? Does it require a prescription?

and yeah I don't think Mcfadden will help our offense as much as you obviously do. not that i dont' agree with the scouts I just think Clemens and the OL will tell the story of our offense next season.

On the other hand I think this is a draft that could put our defense on the next level. Some fans think we should take a WR at #36, but I think CB is a no brainer. So given that, if we have the opportunity to take Gholston at #6 we should do it and put a defense on the field that could compete with New England.

Like I said before our offenses success will have more to do with our OL and QB play then whether we draft Mcfadden. To take the best advantage of this draft we need to draft defense day one.

Either way, I'd be optimistic. McFadden or Gholston. I think I've said enough about this draft, it gets to be compulsive behavior at some point.

Gholston

Weaknesses:

Needs to be more consistent...Questionable awareness and instincts...Undersized if he were to play defensive end...Does not have a lot of experience dropping into coverage...Has some work to do when it comes to technique...May have to learn a new position at the pro level...At times he gets by on his natural ability...Does not have an elite burst...Some durability issues...A better athlete than football player?

Who are you kidding? You want mcfadden just as much as I do.. lol

Defense Wins Championships. Did I just say that? :)

Archived