Fan falls to death from Shea Stadium escalator

Lil Bit Special

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10782690

NEW YORK -- A man attending a New York Mets game with his family lost his balance on an escalator and fell two stories to his death, police said.

Antonio Nararainsami, 36, and several relatives, including his two young daughters, were leaving the stadium at the end of Tuesday's game against the Washington Nationals when he fell in a section below the left field stands and landed on a concrete floor. Nararainsami, a Guyanese native who lived in Brooklyn, was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead half an hour later.

Kevin Prashad, a cousin who attended the game, said Nararainsami was walking down the escalator, which wasn't moving, and was holding the hand rail when he "lost his footing."

The Mets said in a statement that they had been "advised of a tragic accident that resulted in the death of a fan." They said team officials and police were investigating.

"Our deepest and heartfelt condolences go out to the fan's family," the team's statement said.

The death of Nararainsami, who was wearing a Mets cap when he fell, appeared to be an accident, and no charges had been filed, police said.

Nararainsami installed heating and air conditioning systems for a living, loved sports and was the captain of a local cricket club, his relatives said. His wife, pregnant with their third child, had stayed home while he attended the game.

Nararainsami's death wasn't the first at Shea. In 1985, a 21-year-old Yonkers man fell 100 feet from an escalator and was killed.

This is the Mets' last season at Shea Stadium. A new stadium, Citi Field, is scheduled to open next year.

Tuesday's game, which the Mets won 6-0, had celebrated Jackie Robinson Day, the 61st anniversary of when the Brooklyn Dodgers legend broke major league baseball's color barrier.

At least he saw them win.

of course there is more to the story:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-nyshea0417,0,1513262.story

Witnesses told police that Antonio Narainasami, 36, of Brooklyn, was sitting on the escalator handrail when he fell over the side and plunged to his death. His family told reporters Narainasami slipped and fell.

A witness told Newsday that Narainasami fell from one escalator and landed on another. "When I turned around, we heard a thump," said Andrew Robins, 18, of Elmhurst, who was working at a souvenir stand with another worker. "We saw something rolling down the escalator."

Witnesses told police that Narainasami was on the escalator railing -- either sitting or sliding -- just before he fell.

There is just no way he was "walking down the escalator, which wasn't moving, and was holding the hand rail when he "lost his footing." Not possible. I saw your follow-up post that he was sitting on the handrail, it had to be something like that.

Either way, it's tragic especially happening in front of his family and kids. Jeesh. :1cry:

http://cbs.sportsline.com/mlb/story/10782690

NEW YORK -- A man attending a New York Mets game with his family lost his balance on an escalator and fell two stories to his death, police said.

Antonio Nararainsami, 36, and several relatives, including his two young daughters, were leaving the stadium at the end of Tuesday's game against the Washington Nationals when he fell in a section below the left field stands and landed on a concrete floor. Nararainsami, a Guyanese native who lived in Brooklyn, was taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead half an hour later.

Kevin Prashad, a cousin who attended the game, said Nararainsami was walking down the escalator, which wasn't moving, and was holding the hand rail when he "lost his footing."

The Mets said in a statement that they had been "advised of a tragic accident that resulted in the death of a fan." They said team officials and police were investigating.

"Our deepest and heartfelt condolences go out to the fan's family," the team's statement said.

The death of Nararainsami, who was wearing a Mets cap when he fell, appeared to be an accident, and no charges had been filed, police said.

Nararainsami installed heating and air conditioning systems for a living, loved sports and was the captain of a local cricket club, his relatives said. His wife, pregnant with their third child, had stayed home while he attended the game.

Nararainsami's death wasn't the first at Shea. In 1985, a 21-year-old Yonkers man fell 100 feet from an escalator and was killed.

This is the Mets' last season at Shea Stadium. A new stadium, Citi Field, is scheduled to open next year.

Tuesday's game, which the Mets won 6-0, had celebrated Jackie Robinson Day, the 61st anniversary of when the Brooklyn Dodgers legend broke major league baseball's color barrier.

At least he saw them win.

I feel bad for that poor man.

of course there is more to the story:

http://www.newsday.com/news/local/longisland/ny-nyshea0417,0,1513262.story

Witnesses told police that Antonio Narainasami, 36, of Brooklyn, was sitting on the escalator handrail when he fell over the side and plunged to his death. His family told reporters Narainasami slipped and fell.

A witness told Newsday that Narainasami fell from one escalator and landed on another. "When I turned around, we heard a thump," said Andrew Robins, 18, of Elmhurst, who was working at a souvenir stand with another worker. "We saw something rolling down the escalator."

Witnesses told police that Narainasami was on the escalator railing -- either sitting or sliding -- just before he fell.

Thank you. I couldn't figure out how he could have been killed but NOW it makes sense. Enjoy the ride we call life folks. You never know when the ride will end. RIP

I feel bad for that poor man.

I dont. He did something stupid. (and no, I dont mean he attended a Mets game:))

Im sure he didnt realize the risk involved, but he should have. I have a hard time feeling bad for people when they cause their own demise.

I do feel bad for his wife who has 2 kids and another on the way. Now she has to raise them alone because of his stupid act.

I dont. He did something stupid. (and no, I dont mean he attended a Mets game:))

Im sure he didnt realize the risk involved, but he should have. I have a hard time feeling bad for people when they cause their own demise.

I do feel bad for his wife who has 2 kids and another on the way. Now she has to raise them alone because of his stupid act.

+1

Every day that goes by, Darwin is proven to be more and more correct !

Doing something stupid should NEVER cost you your life. When it does it's tragic.

Accidents happen,when they kill someone show some sympathy... it's the thing to do.

Doing stupid things can cost you your life. Thats why you shouldnt do them.

I feel bad for the wife and kids. I dont feel bad for the moron screwing around on the escalator.

Call me cold, callous, or an ass, I dont care. If I get hurt/die from doing something stupid, I want people to be pissed off I did something stupid. I dont want them to feel sorry for me. If it was a family memeber i would be pissed off they were so stupid.

People need to learn that life has serious consequences. Teach your kids that. Lots of people die every day from stupid decisions.

It wasnt an accident. An accident is the escalator stopping suddenly. Sliding down the escalator railing is not an accident.

Doing stupid things can cost you your life. Thats why you shouldnt do them.

I feel bad for the wife and kids. I dont feel bad for the moron screwing around on the escalator.

Call me cold, callous, or an ass, I dont care. If I get hurt/die from doing something stupid, I want people to be pissed off I did something stupid. I dont want them to feel sorry for me. If it was a family memeber i would be pissed off they were so stupid.

People need to learn that life has serious consequences. Teach your kids that. Lots of people die every day from stupid decisions.

It wasnt an accident. An accident is the escalator stopping suddenly. Sliding down the escalator railing is not an accident.

Gotta agree with you here. Stupid is as stupid does.

It happens in the animal kingdom. It happens amongst humans too. Don't act stupid and do things that can cause you harm. That's just like the idiots that were instigating the tigers at the SF Zoo, and got chewed up.

I remember them. The brothers Moron right? I love it when a little while later the REAL story comes out.

It happens in the animal kingdom. It happens amongst humans too. Don't act stupid and do things that can cause you harm. That's just like the idiots that were instigating the tigers at the SF Zoo, and got chewed up.

I have to admit it, I did think that was pretty funny.

wow tough crowd in this thread eh smizzy ;)

tradgedy trumps stupidity in this instance. his poor wife & kids

I feel bad for the kids and wife. They have to live with this forever.

I dont feel bad or any sadness for the moron who did this. Its tough for me to feel sadness for someone committing a stupid act.

Archived