Lewis & Johnson feud heats up

flgreen

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Posted: 58 minutes ago

Lewis says disgruntled receiver should keep word about sitting out

Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- Tired of Chad Johnson's posturing for a trade, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis says the disgruntled receiver should keep his word and sit out the season.

Lewis also said Tuesday that linebacker David Pollack is leaning toward retirement. The former first-round draft pick broke a bone in his neck while making a tackle during the 2006 season.

Pollack's decision isn't a surprise. He has said all along that he doubted he would return if there was a chance he could injure the neck again.

Lewis' comments about Johnson were his strongest yet. The Pro Bowl receiver has been disgruntled since the middle of last season, when his look-at-me antics came under criticism.

Since the end of last season, Johnson has been lobbying for a trade even though he agreed to a long-term deal with the Bengals two years ago. Johnson's contract would pay him $3 million next season and extends through 2010, with a club option for 2011.

Although Johnson stopped talking to reporters in Cincinnati last season, he has done numerous national interviews in which he threatened to sit out the season if he's not traded. Lewis responded Tuesday by saying he should follow through with his threat.

"I've stated our case with Chad," Lewis said. "He has a contract through 2011. He's stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn't going to play. I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play."

Lewis said the Bengals haven't received a trade offer for Johnson. The club repeatedly has said it won't trade him.

"I've stated our case with Chad," Lewis said. "He has a contract through 2011. He's stated without an opportunity to go to a different team and a new contract, he wasn't going to play. I think he's a man of his word and says he's not going to play, so don't play."

LOL I love it, however he'll be traded come draft day IMO.

i think so, but take my word for it. ask sperm im sure he is more elgible to answer that.

He forfeits all the game checks that he sits out. His salary is $3M, so each game check is $187,500. Plus presumably he wouldn't show up at all & would also miss a $250,000 workout bonus.

I think if he reports by roughly week 9 (I really can't remember) then he gets credit for the season. Meaning he would still be under contract through 2011. If he sits out the entire season then this year "doesn't count" as a year played & he's now under contract through 2012.

He had no issue getting a new contract with a big signing bonus before being in the league for 3 seasons. Then another SB when he renegotiated 2 years later. Then another SB when he renegotiated a year after that. Now 2 years later he wants them to let him go with their money.

I'm sure if he was willing to pay back the amortized portion of his signing bonuses (plural), that Cincy would oblige him and trade him to someplace else.

He forfeits all the game checks that he sits out. His salary is $3M, so each game check is $187,500. Plus presumably he wouldn't show up at all & would also miss a $250,000 workout bonus.

I think if he reports by roughly week 9 (I really can't remember) then he gets credit for the season. Meaning he would still be under contract through 2011. If he sits out the entire season then this year "doesn't count" as a year played & he's now under contract through 2012.

He had no issue getting a new contract with a big signing bonus before being in the league for 3 seasons. Then another SB when he renegotiated 2 years later. Then another SB when he renegotiated a year after that. Now 2 years later he wants them to let him go with their money.

I'm sure if he was willing to pay back the amortized portion of his signing bonuses (plural), that Cincy would oblige him and trade him to someplace else.

thank you.

I hope Cinci makes a stand here, this not honoring contracts has gotten way past silly

Thanks Sperm . Sounds like just another prima donna that's just never has enough $$.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=090...o&confirm=true

Posted: 58 minutes ago

Lewis says disgruntled receiver should keep word about sitting out

Associated Press

CINCINNATI -- Tired of Chad Johnson's posturing for a trade, Cincinnati Bengals coach Marvin Lewis says the disgruntled receiver should keep his word and sit out the season.

Lewis also said Tuesday that linebacker David Pollack is leaning toward retirement. The former first-round draft pick broke a bone in his neck while making a tackle during the 2006 season.

Pollack's decision isn't a surprise. He has said all along that he doubted he would return if there was a chance he could injure the neck again.

Lewis' comments about Johnson were his strongest yet. The Pro Bowl receiver has been disgruntled since the middle of last season, when his look-at-me antics came under criticism.

Since the end of last season, Johnson has been lobbying for a trade even though he agreed to a long-term deal with the Bengals two years ago. Johnson's contract would pay him $3 million next season and extends through 2010, with a club option for 2011.

Although Johnson stopped talking to reporters in Cincinnati last season, he has done numerous national interviews in which he threatened to sit out the season if he's not traded. Lewis responded Tuesday by saying he should follow through with his threat.

Lewis said the Bengals haven't received a trade offer for Johnson. The club repeatedly has said it won't trade him.

Coach Lewis is absolutely right. Be a man of your word and just sit out the f'in season. We all know that this jerk isn't about to do that.

Archived