Baker walks out

flgreen

Its funny how Baker suddenly sucks.

Before all this he was considered to be a very good TE who was just 'never utilized effectively because of Chad'.

So which one is it????

Only one or two here felt that he was so marvelous; they just kept repeating it.

He's an average receiver (for a TE) and a below average blocker. So he's a legitimate starter but nothing worth getting all gushy over. And his base salary for this year is irrelevant. Seems he wants to get his 2008 money in 2007 and then point to his (now lower) 2008 money and cry to the world, "Look how little I'm making in 2008," as though every single fan is stupid enough to buy it.

He was a reach in the 3rd round when we took him.

He couldn't beat out Anthony Becht, who couldn't beat out anyone else himself.

Then he got injured.

Then he tried FA and no one wanted him.

Then he came crawling back and we still gave him a $7M deal that he took very eagerly.

Then he put up (at best) mediocre receiving #'s to go with his sub-par blocking.

Then he takes an advance on his 2008 salary in 2007.

Then he complains that his 2008 salary is now too low (even though he's already received half of it in advance).

Screw him.

Bury him on the depth chart and then release him into the FA pool after being 3rd string behind a has-been and a rookie all year after sitting out camp. The same teams he'll be shopping his services to will be the same teams that passed on him 3 years ago when he was younger with no personal baggage.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Only one or two here felt that he was so marvelous; they just kept repeating it.

He's an average receiver (for a TE) and a below average blocker. So he's a legitimate starter but nothing worth getting all gushy over. And his base salary for this year is irrelevant. Seems he wants to get his 2008 money in 2007 and then point to his (now lower) 2008 money and cry to the world, "Look how little I'm making in 2008," as though every single fan is stupid enough to buy it.

He was a reach in the 3rd round when we took him.

He couldn't beat out Anthony Becht, who couldn't beat out anyone else himself.

Then he got injured.

Then he tried FA and no one wanted him.

Then he came crawling back and we still gave him a $7M deal that he took very eagerly.

Then he put up (at best) mediocre receiving #'s to go with his sub-par blocking.

Then he takes an advance on his 2008 salary in 2007.

Then he complains that his 2008 salary is now too low (even though he's already received half of it in advance).

Screw him.

Bury him on the depth chart and then release him into the FA pool after being 3rd string behind a has-been and a rookie all year after sitting out camp. The same teams he'll be shopping his services to will be the same teams that passed on him 3 years ago when he was younger with no personal baggage.

I wish Chris Baker could read this post. Does he actually think he is getting ANY sympathy from the fans by bitching and moaning? What a POS he has turned into to.

This is the only part I disagree with. He isn't all of a sudden complaining that his '08 salary is too low. I agree that would be bull**** because he got an advance last year. IIRC, he was bitching about his contract last year too. That's one of the reasons he ended up in the doghouse. That and bitching about play calls. That may be bull**** too, but it's a little different. We all figured they shut him up with the restructure, but since there was no real new money there is no reason for him to suddenly be happy with the deal. Bad news for him is the low salary means there is no reason to cut him.

I agree completely with your assessment of his talent. Average to slightly above average receiving TE, below average blocker.

This is the only part I disagree with. He isn't all of a sudden complaining that his '08 salary is too low. I agree that would be bull**** because he got an advance last year. IIRC, he was bitching about his contract last year too. That's one of the reasons he ended up in the doghouse. That and bitching about play calls. That may be bull**** too, but it's a little different. We all figured they shut him up with the restructure, but since there was no real new money there is no reason for him to suddenly be happy with the deal. Bad news for him is the low salary means there is no reason to cut him.

I agree completely with your assessment of his talent. Average to slightly above average receiving TE, below average blocker.

We gave him a $7M contract when the rest of the NFL told him to f-off.

Who cares if he was complaining about his $ in 2007? They all complain about their money not being enough after the check's cleared.

I have no sympathy for this multi-millionaire.

We gave him a $7M contract when the rest of the NFL told him to f-off.

Who cares if he was complaining about his $ in 2007? They all complain about their money not being enough after the check's cleared.

I have no sympathy for this multi-millionaire.

I'm not saying he deserves sympathy. I'm just saying that he is not irrationally claiming that he is underpaid now because he got this year's money last year. He's irrationally claiming that he is underpaid because he doesn't like the contract he signed in '06.

What they are not saying in this article is Baker redid his contract just in November.

Do these guys want to redo a contract every time they have a good game?

If he is unhappy with the contract he just signed, he should fire his agent, and shut his mouth

Thank you...this is why Mike Brown, the owner of the Bengals, is not going to give in to Chad Johnson. If these guys keep getting big signing bonuses with the big $$ up front then complain later in the contract things are going to get out of control!

Archived