Baker walks out

flgreen

Uh He is. He's was one of the only bright spots last year and we all know that if he didnt walk out we'd all be praising him. As soon as any player starts to gripe about their contract everyone is too quick to pull the trigger write the player off and call him a baby. You go out there and do what they do. Granted he already got an extension so he shouldnt be bitching but i wont deny the fact that Baker is a quality player.

Your definition of great is to be in the bottom third of starters for that position, with very little to no potential to get better. You must also think Chad Pennington is great. Actually you probably think pretty much everybody on the Jets roster is great. The problem is, Baker isn't, and cowtowing to Baker and his ilk results in the same type of mess that we had when we overpayed Chad, DRob and CuMart. Their play just doesn't merit their compensation, and that takes away from those that would merit it, and thus our team winds up sucking. We should still have K-Mac, who just happened to help on a SB run. We finally replaced him just this offseason. We don't need that type of mess again. I'd rather give Harris and Revis that money in a couple of years, or maybe if Leon starts to show he can be a starter, he can get that money.

We should just ask Baker to give back his signing bonus and offer him his release. That way he won't be a cap hit at all, and he can get what he thinks he is worth, which is going to be nothing since nobody wants him.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every situation has to be handled differently. A team can't take a tough stance with every situation or give in to every situation. They handled Kendall very poorly. The way they dealt with Coles was fine. Rhoades was a no-brainer. With Baker, they should take the same stance as the Bengals are with Chad Johnson. The important thing for the FO to do is publicly explain why they choose not to renegotiate. By taking a hard line with Baker, and explaining why, it will send a message to other mediocre players to think twice before pulling this act. And if players don't like being called mediocre by their management, then fullfill your contract and do the things expected of a professional.

Sorry, but who cares about Chris Baker? Chris Baker has NO right to bitch & moan about his contract. First off, he signed it two years ago and his best season was last season and that was only 41 RECEPTIONS. 41 RECEPTIONS!? And you want to be paid $4-5 million a year? Is he out of his freaking mind? Screw him, Mangini should bench his ass all season long, cut him after the season and draft a replacement in 2009. Bubba Franks will do just fine for 2008.

They did the right thing with Kendall. The 4-12 season was not because they traded Kendall. The mistake there was that Adrian Clarke was not up to the task of replacing him and Fergeson was still on the learning curve and we still had some of Kendall's boys on the team and they did not give their all (no matter what they said). they played well during practice and rebelled on the field during the game. The Jets are rid of those malcontents and will fair much better with the team as it is being brought together to go forward. If Chris Baker is pulling another Kendall, get rid of him too.

This is one of the most ridiculous theories I've ever heard. Kendall's boys? Who the hell are you talking about? Vilma? Hobson? Clarke? Clement? Those are the only guys they "got rid of". What player is going to jeopardize his career by tanking games for the sake of Pete ****ing Kendall?

The offensive line sucked ass last year. How do you think they were tricking the coaches in practice? They sucked ass in the preseason too. Which malcontents did they get rid of? Coles and Baker are the only two I heard a peep out of and they are both still around.

If they ditch Baker it's fine with me, but only because he's a JAG and even a ****ty replacement will not end up in a disgrace like Clarke last year. Richardson should at least see to that.

The Jets players don't respect Tangini. That's a big reason why you keep seeing this happen.

What are you basing this on? Kendall, Coles and to a lesser extent Baker are all guys that have bitched incessantly about their salaries throughout ther careers. This is why Arizon jettisoned Kendall and Coles left the Jets the first time around and why the Redskins couldn't wait to send him back. Your theory is nonsense.

The Jets players don't respect Tangini. That's a big reason why you keep seeing this happen.

Yeah. That's not it at all.

You shouldn't be paid less than your backup. Baker is right. That's like the manager of a restaurant making less money than the bus boy. When you're higher on the food chain...

Yeah. That's not it at all.

You shouldn't be paid less than your backup. Baker is right. That's like the manager of a restaurant making less money than the bus boy. When you're higher on the food chain...

Damn no wonder he walked out! I knew there was something more to this! What the hell i would walk out too if the backup was being paid more. Jets f'ed up right there. I hope they work this out. :shutit:

Damn no wonder he walked out! I knew there was something more to this! What the hell i would walk out too if the backup was being paid more. Jets f'ed up right there. I hope they work this out. :shutit:

Maybe they don't see franks as the back-up?

Baker has been squaking his whole career. He signed a contract 2 years ago, after being a FA. Nobody else offered him a contract. The Jets resigned him. Last year after his first productive season out of 6, he started squaking again. The Jets rewarded him with a new contract in December. He was happy. That was 5 months ago. 5 months.

If he has a crap year this year, is he going to give any of that money back? Is B. Thomas going to give any of his money back after a 2 sack season? Don't think so.

It is speculation that Franks is going to be his back up. Franks isn't 35 he is only 30 yo. He has been plagued with injuries the last two years. If he can stay healthy this season, I doubt he will be the back up. The guy has made 3 Pro Bowls.

If Baker wants to be the highest paid TE on the team, go out and win the starting job, and make a Pro Bowl, then ask for Pro Bowl kind of money. Until then honor the contract you signed 5 months ago.

I think he is afraid Franks is going to take his job. Which he might if Baker doesn't get back.

There is nothing to work out, Honor the contract you signed 5 months ago

What are you basing this on? Kendall, Coles and to a lesser extent Baker are all guys that have bitched incessantly about their salaries throughout ther careers. This is why Arizon jettisoned Kendall and Coles left the Jets the first time around and why the Redskins couldn't wait to send him back. Your theory is nonsense.

It's not a theory if you actually have evidence. Kendall, Coles, Baker, Moore and Eric Barton have all publicly criticized Mangini which is interesting considering how secretive he runs this team.

If these guys respected Mangini you wouldn't have players like Coles and Baker, who are already under contract for a significant length of time, holding out and doing everything short of demanding a trade. Not saying Mangini can't still be a good coach but sometimes I get the feeling players on this team don't take him seriously.

Baker has been squaking his whole career. He signed a contract 2 years ago, after being a FA. Nobody else offered him a contract. The Jets resigned him. Last year after his first productive season out of 6, he started squaking again. The Jets rewarded him with a new contract in December. He was happy. That was 5 months ago. 5 months.

If he has a crap year this year, is he going to give any of that money back? Is B. Thomas going to give any of his money back after a 2 sack season? Don't think so.

It is speculation that Franks is going to be his back up. Franks isn't 35 he is only 30 yo. He has been plagued with injuries the last two years. If he can stay healthy this season, I doubt he will be the back up. The guy has made 3 Pro Bowls.

If Baker wants to be the highest paid TE on the team, go out and win the starting job, and make a Pro Bowl, then ask for Pro Bowl kind of money. Until then honor the contract you signed 5 months ago.

I think he is afraid Franks is going to take his job. Which he might if Baker doesn't get back.

There is nothing to work out, Honor the contract you signed 5 months ago

False. Baker, like Kendall and Coles before him, claims the team agreed to redo his contract and extend him. The deal he signed in November was not an extension, but it was a restructuring to help the team get further under the cap so they could have this big FA splurge. Baker says the team agreed to extend him later if he did that. His November deal included only $800K in new money. Not exactly a "new" deal. I don't think he gives two ****s about Franks, but he's worried that now that the spending spree is over they still haven't done as promised and there is no sign he is asking for "pro bowl money".

It's not a theory if you actually have evidence. Kendall, Coles, Baker, Moore and Eric Barton have all publicly criticized Mangini which is interesting considering how secretive he runs this team.

If these guys respected Mangini you wouldn't have players like Coles and Baker, who are already under contract for a significant length of time, holding out and doing everything short of demanding a trade. Not saying Mangini can't still be a good coach but sometimes I get the feeling players on this team don't take him seriously.

That's what happens when you start Pennington for 1.5 years. Hard to respect a coach like that.

False. Baker, like Kendall and Coles before him, claims the team agreed to redo his contract and extend him. The deal he signed in November was not an extension, but it was a restructuring to help the team get further under the cap so they could have this big FA splurge. Baker says the team agreed to extend him later if he did that. His November deal included only $800K in new money. Not exactly a "new" deal. I don't think he gives two ****s about Franks, but he's worried that now that the spending spree is over they still haven't done as promised and there is no sign he is asking for "pro bowl money".

Well the article I posted on page three says he signed a "new 3 year contract", and his base pay was doubled. That sounds like a fair deal for where he stands on the radar for the Jets, and his production. Becoming a public mouthpiece and walking out isnt going to help his cause much.

Chris Baker gets contract extension

By Hoss Aultman

Posted Dec 12, 2007

Jets tight end Chris Baker was given a contract extension. The announcement was made by Dave Hutchinson in the Star-Ledger.

"TE Chris Baker, who was thought to be in Mangini's doghouse after criticizing the play-calling following a controversial loss to the Eagles in Week 6, quietly had his contract renegotiated last month, The Star-Ledger has learned," wrote Hutchinson. "Baker, in his sixth season, signed a new three-year contract worth $5.4 million. Baker received roughly $800,000 in new money. His base salary went from $850,000 this season to 2.37 million.

What more does Baker want? Hes starting to get on my nerves with this money grubbing BS. Just do your friggen job and honor your contract.

Well the article I posted on page three says he signed a "new 3 year contract", and his base pay was doubled. That sounds like a fair deal for where he stands on the radar for the Jets, and his production. Becoming a public mouthpiece and walking out isnt going to help his cause much.

The article you posted matches what I said. His "new" three year contract replaced his old three year contract, at the Jets request (though certainly not to his detriment). His salary went up last year (year 1) so they could clear cap space this off-season. His pay "doubled" last year. This year he makes much less. There was only an additional $800K thrown his way over the course of the contract. It's at least the fourth time a player claimed they promised to take care of a contract issue and didn't.

From rotoworld:

11/??/2007: Signed a three-year, $5.4 million contract. 2008: $683,500, 2009: $1 million, 2010: Free Agent

The article you posted matches what I said. His "new" three year contract replaced his old three year contract, at the Jets request (though certainly not to his detriment). His salary went up last year (year 1) so they could clear cap space this off-season. His pay "doubled" last year. This year he makes much less. There was only an additional $800K thrown his way over the course of the contract. It's at least the fourth time a player claimed they promised to take care of a contract issue and didn't.

From rotoworld:

If he was promised a new contract this year, why wouldn't they have done it last year when they redid his existing contract?

Wow, all these high priced lawyer agents these guys hire must be awful stupid to take some ones word, while they are writing new contracts. Wish the lawyers I deal with in my business were that stupid.

Some how I think these guys are full of crap.

If he was promised a new contract this year, why wouldn't they have done it last year when they redid his existing contract?

Wow, all these high priced lawyer agents these guys hire must be awful stupid to take some ones word, while they are writing new contracts. Wish the lawyers I deal with in my business were that stupid.

Some how I think these guys are full of crap.

Maybe they are full of crap. Or maybe they knew the Jets were going on a spending spree and had agreed to allow the FA period to shake out. Baker is looking for an extension. The agreement he made last year has nothing to do with anything. People are acting like he is dishonoring this brand new contract. The "new" contract was simply to move money around. If I'm not mistaken he was bitching about his contract earlier. He (and his agent) agreed to the deal last November because it helped the team and didn't hurt him. He could have continued negotiations, but there is a deadline to the time money can be moved from next season to this.

FWIW, the Jets took care of Moore. They have apparently taken care of Coles. They hung Kendall out to dry, but I don't remember them saying he was lying. I think they acted like it was a "misunderstanding".

From rotoworld:

OK that may be what the goal was with the new contract in Nov (to free up money for 08), but the money he is getting/got isnt exactly a slap in the face when you consider his output for an NFL lower/middle tier TE. Now some of his production was hindered by our offense, but he hasnt exactly lit it up in any season here so I dont see why hes walking out before we get the draft done with because of money. What were his salary #s from his old deal for 09? Unless his roster bonus was real small those #s dont add up in this new contract. (not that Im a cap guru) Maybe Im reading it wrong......

Either way I think hes a little pre-mature in walking out over this, hes not helping his cause if he wants to stay here in NY.

OK that may be what the goal was with the new contract in Nov (to free up money for 08), but the money he is getting/got isnt exactly a slap in the face when you consider his output for an NFL lower/middle tier TE. Now some of his production was hindered by our offense, but he hasnt exactly lit it up in any season here so I dont see why hes walking out before we get the draft done with because of money. What were his salary #s from his old deal for 09? Unless his roster bonus was real small those #s dont add up in this new contract. (not that Im a cap guru) Maybe Im reading it wrong......

Either way I think hes a little pre-mature in walking out over this, hes not helping his cause if he wants to stay here in NY.

Nah, the numbers don't add up. They never do because of the base and the roster bonuses. II think the NFLPA puts up the whole deals somewhere, but I'm not sure where. consider the team lucky he's acting up now so that we can deal with it during the draft. Of course they knew the same with Kendall and went with Clarke, so who knows?

Nah, the numbers don't add up. They never do because of the base and the roster bonuses. II think the NFLPA puts up the whole deals somewhere, but I'm not sure where. consider the team lucky he's acting up now so that we can deal with it during the draft. Of course they knew the same with Kendall and went with Clarke, so who knows?

Yeah, its too fubar to try and follow IMO. If I saw Ghosts post before I posted mine I couldve saved myself some typing. LOL Now Baker wants a trade, Oh well.

Maybe they are full of crap. Or maybe they knew the Jets were going on a spending spree and had agreed to allow the FA period to shake out. Baker is looking for an extension. The agreement he made last year has nothing to do with anything. People are acting like he is dishonoring this brand new contract. The "new" contract was simply to move money around. If I'm not mistaken he was bitching about his contract earlier. He (and his agent) agreed to the deal last November because it helped the team and didn't hurt him. He could have continued negotiations, but there is a deadline to the time money can be moved from next season to this.

FWIW, the Jets took care of Moore. They have apparently taken care of Coles. They hung Kendall out to dry, but I don't remember them saying he was lying. I think they acted like it was a "misunderstanding".

Dom I hope your not getting dizzy from all the spinning you are doing.

The "agreement" he signed last year is called a contract.

Was he sober? unknown

Was he represented by a high priced attorney? yes

Did he sign the contract? Yes

Is this guy a very average TE. yes

Don't over complicate it. The dude is under contract. He was represented by an attorney.

This contract will stand in any court in the country. If he doesn't want to play football, fine, get another job.

It's a very simple case in a court of law.. He is under contract. Play football.

Dom I hope your not getting dizzy from all the spinning you are doing.

The "agreement" he signed last year is called a contract.

Was he sober? unknown

Was he represented by a high priced attorney? yes

Did he sign the contract? Yes

Is this guy a very average TE. yes

Don't over complicate it. The dude is under contract. He was represented by an attorney.

This contract will stand in any court in the country. If he doesn't want to play football, fine, get another job.

It's a very simple case in a court of law.. He is under contract. Play football.

What am I spinning? Check back. Plenty of people on here have been squawking that Baker was a "great" TE and about to "break out". I have repeatedly called him a JAG. You can "simplify" the situation any way you like, but the NFL contract market is a bull**** deal. Players have no choice but to hold out if they want a bigger deal. Since teams can cut guys if they "underperform" it's the way things are done. You want to play hardball? Fine, just remember that they pussied out when it came to Moore and Coles. Was Coles represented by an attorney during any of the monster contracts that "underpaid" him and caused the Jets to extend/renegotiate? Was Moore?

Maybe the Redskins will take him I guess. They're the only ones that want our scrubby players. Rhodes, Bryan Thomas, Moore and even Coles all got taken care of. Thomas isn't even that good, but at least he showed SOMETHING. Baker just sucks.

Maybe the Redskins will take him I guess. They're the only ones that want our scrubby players. Rhodes, Bryan Thomas, Moore and even Coles all got taken care of. Thomas isn't even that good, but at least he showed SOMETHING. Baker just sucks.

Baker is a much better player than Bryan Thomas and Brandon Moore, two guys who are ridiculously overpaid. Bubba Franks, his back-up, apparently makes more $. Throw in the fact that I don't think Baker and Mangini got along that great last season and this shouldn't come as a surprise.

Sucks losing Baker. He's a good all-around TE. At least we have a contingency plan this time.

What leverage does Baker think he has? He doesn't eat up any cap space (salary-wise) this year. The Jets will keep him for & fine him for every day he's not in camp. Given his low base salary this year (we gave him an "advance" on his 2008 salary in late 2007), he'll end up making $50K this year & then they'll release him before paying the $2M he's got coming to him in 2009.

If he or his agent think the contract terms are so unfair, don't sign it in the first place. The Jets gave Baker a $7M deal when every team in the NFL turned him down. The Jets were the highest bidder.

What an a-hole. And a dumb one at that to pull this right before the draft. "Oooh. Chris is going to hold out. Umm...let's use one of our 4th's on a TE instead of a FS. Keep Chris on the team as 3rd string & then release him."

What leverage does Baker think he has? He doesn't eat up any cap space (salary-wise) this year. The Jets will keep him for & fine him for every day he's not in camp. Given his low base salary this year (we gave him an "advance" on his 2008 salary in late 2007), he'll end up making $50K this year & then they'll release him before paying the $2M he's got coming to him in 2009.

If he or his agent think the contract terms are so unfair, don't sign it in the first place. The Jets gave Baker a $7M deal when every team in the NFL turned him down. The Jets were the highest bidder.

What an a-hole. And a dumb one at that to pull this right before the draft. "Oooh. Chris is going to hold out. Umm...let's use one of our 4th's on a TE instead of a FS. Keep Chris on the team as 3rd string & then release him."

My you're one tough SOB. But I totally agree. He has2 years left , not one plus he just resigned in November. He should just STFU for this year and we can his butt come February.

My you're one tough SOB. But I totally agree. He has2 years left , not one plus he just resigned in November. He should just STFU for this year and we can his butt come February.

Like I've said before the November part of the deal shouldn't really count against him since it was just a redo for this year's cap. The problem Baker will have is that he makes a very low salary this year, so they can carry him for next to nothing and then dump him as Sperm suggests. The only real purpose in the timing I can see is if his agent thinks that the draft is the time that trades are made and maybe with his low base the Jets will get an appealing offer or two for him and make all sides happy. Who the **** really knows?

Weird thing is that he apparently left the voluntary workouts three weeks ago, but the articles only popped up yesterday. Guess the agent switch may have caused that.

Archived