I thought we'd get an OT?

TNJet

For some reason I am not sold that Woody is the answer at RT. I thought we'd atleast draft one more OL with potential. Thoughts?:confused:

Agreed man. But we didnt have enough extra picks to address it.

Id prefer Woody as right guard down the road

I think the Jets feel they have good enough depth at OL for now with Bender, Youlkalkis (Sp?) as backups.

I do not know what the deal with Nicks is, my guess is he goes to the Jets if he is available with out 6th rounder - especially given that he will be reunited with his ex head coach Callahan.

I think the Jets feel they have good enough depth at OL for now with Bender, Youlkalkis (Sp?) as backups.

I do not know what the deal with Nicks is, my guess is he goes to the Jets if he is available with out 6th rounder - especially given that he will be reunited with his ex head coach Callahan.

If Callaghan likes him & he's not a problem-child, it's inexcusable to not trade up to get him. Guys this size & this touted just don't slip to round 5. Usually you have to get them after they've developed & then give them giant contracts like the Bengals just did with their mammoth-lineman (forget his name but we were reportedly interested in him also a year earlier).

40-times for offensive linemen are idiotic to me as an overall measuring stick, but how much of a lummox can he be if he runs a 5.1 at 345 lbs?

If Callaghan likes him & he's not a problem-child, it's inexcusable to not trade up to get him. Guys this size & this touted just don't slip to round 5. Usually you have to get them after they've developed & then give them giant contracts like the Bengals just did with their mammoth-lineman (forget his name but we were reportedly interested in him also a year earlier).

40-times for offensive linemen are idiotic to me as an overall measuring stick, but how much of a lummox can he be if he runs a 5.1 at 345 lbs?

agreed,we should draft him if hes there. What if Woody gets injured? We have got to have some depth at RT.

agreed,we should draft him if hes there. What if Woody gets injured? We have got to have some depth at RT.

Yeah, I'd rather let Callahan take a crack at helping develop him before we determine that he's an adequate backup. If we take Nicks, I have to believe he's a steal or Callahan wouldn't vouch for him even this late.

At this point drafting him is low risk - high reward.

If he can keep his act together and stay out of trouble, he can be the eventual replacement for Woody, who is not getting any younger. If he turns out to be a law breaking scum, well, he was a 5th or 6th rounder, and wasnt expected to start immediately anyway, making cutting him rather easy.

At this point drafting him is low risk - high reward.

If he can keep his act together and stay out of trouble, he can be the eventual replacement for Woody, who is not getting any younger. If he turns out to be a law breaking scum, well, he was a 5th or 6th rounder, and wasnt expected to start immediately anyway, making cutting him rather easy.

You really think we're looking for an eventual replacement to Woody like a month after signing him to a 5 year contract with 8 figures guaranteed?

If Nicks can keep his act together then he's Moore's replacement by next year at the earliest, as Woody would slide over to RG.

You really think we're looking for an eventual replacement to Woody like a month after signing him to a 5 year contract with 8 figures guaranteed?

If Nicks can keep his act together then he's Moore's replacement by next year at the earliest, as Woody would slide over to RG.

yep.

Woody is turning 31 this season, I doubt he has 5 years left in the tank.

Anyway, didnt we just give Moore a new 4 or 5 year deal last season as well?

Woody is turning 31 this season, I doubt he has 5 years left in the tank.

Anyway, didnt we just give Moore a new 4 or 5 year deal last season as well?

No. He got a raise for 2007. The rest is the contract he signed in 2006. Moore got very little up front in that prior deal (just under $800K). He's due a $5M roster bonus next year & would have a cap # of $5.846M.

So when does Moore's contract expire?

After the 2012 season, but if he's still he'll hold out if he's still starting for like the 8th-9th straight season & still making like $1M/yr plus a one-time $5M roster bonus and one-time $800K signing bonus in this market. I don't like players holding out, but to be honest I'd understand that one.

No. He got a raise for 2007. The rest is the contract he signed in 2006. Moore got very little up front in that prior deal (just under $800K). He's due a $5M roster bonus next year & would have a cap # of $5.846M.

So when does Moore's contract expire?

If he has a $6M cap number for '09 it effectively expires at the end of this year.

If he has a $6M cap number for '09 it effectively expires at the end of this year.

Only if they keep it as a roster bonus. They can convert it into a new SB over the following 4 years & that would drop his cap # down to $2M even.

But Moore might refuse, figuring he'd rather force the Jets to ante up more than $5M up front or let them release him into FA if he thinks he'd get more than that. And really he probably would get more than that after starting for 6 straight seasons & never losing his job.

Archived