Eagles & Jaguars in talks about Sheppard

Eagles - Sources: Jaguars interested making deal with Eagles for Sheppard

By PAUL DOMOWITCH

Philadelphia Daily News

There's still a good possibility that Eagles cornerback Lito Sheppard will be traded before this weekend, when the Eagles will hold their postdraft minicamp.

According to league sources, Sheppard's agent, Lamont Smith, has had extensive conversations with the Jacksonville Jaguars about a possible offer for his client.

The Jags, who are trying to make their defense as Peyton Manning-proof as possible, were interested in Sheppard before the draft.

But their first-round trade-up with Baltimore to get defensive end Derrick Harvey cost them two third-round picks and a fourth-round selection, leaving them with just two picks in the first four rounds.

Because of that, they weren't willing to part with their second-round pick, which they spent on another defensive end, Auburn's Quentin Groves, in a deal for Sheppard.

But Smith is trying to broker a deal in which the Jags would give the Eagles a package of 2009 draft picks for Sheppard.

Smith did not return a phone call from the Daily News yesterday.

Asked Sunday night whether he expects Sheppard to play for the Eagles in '08, coach Andy Reid said: "As I sit here right now, Lito is an Eagle. That's how it is, just like every other guy on this football team.

"It gives us one great opportunity for a nice secondary. The way to use him is just like we used [former Eagles cornerbacks] Bobby Taylor, Al Harris and Troy Vincent. We just rotated all of them and they were all starters in our eyes."

Im more upset with the Jags for what they did in round 2. Traded directly in front of my team for Groves! I really think the Steelers would have grabbed him if the Jags hadn't. That being said, settling for Limas Sweed isn't that bad either. :)

Archived