cashing in on rights now or wait it out?

joebabyny

lol, look at the mess i started with this thread. I was just trying to float some fear to try and shake people into selling rights, i think i may want to go long jets tix.

blue horse shoe loves jets tix (who gets the reference there??)

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No spin. Just a question.

Why?

BZ

Ultimately it was the soon coming PSL's. I think you and Woody underestimate how many people are going to give their season tickets up. way more than 10,000. he can sell them to corporations, and boy will we have a home field advantage then.

Ultimately it was the soon coming PSL's. I think you and Woody underestimate how many people are going to give their season tickets up. way more than 10,000. he can sell them to corporations, and boy will we have a home field advantage then.

I know he is your brother, but it seems pretty daft to give up something you love because of pricing that MIGHT come out in two years time.

Why not just keep the tickets for the next two years and make a decision when you have all the facts?

BZ

Sell vs.not sell decision should be made in part based on how you think the Jets will do over the next few years.

If the Jets win a combined 6 game over the the next two seasons the value of the PSLs will drop, on the other hand if the Jets win back-to-back SB the value will sky rocket.

Coming off of a 4-12 season while in a recession is probably a good time to buy and a bad time to sell.

Sell vs.not sell decision should be made in part based on how you think the Jets will do over the next few years.

If the Jets win a combined 6 game over the the next two seasons the value of the PSLs will drop, on the other hand if the Jets win back-to-back SB the value will sky rocket.

Coming off of a 4-12 season while in a recession is probably a good time to buy and a bad time to sell.

Good point actually. Very curious to see how it plays out. I would renew no matter what this year just to see if they are going to be marketable in any manner in the next few years. Tough though because it isn't cheap even without a PSL.

duuuuude! I would have tossed him a few bucks to transfer them.

How many tickets are you going to be able to afford come 2010? You seriously need to hook me up with a job since you're looking to have 287 tickets. :lol:

I love how a PSL thread turns into a " Leaving the game early, or bad weather thing". If the working man can afford the tickets he can go, if he choses to leave early that is his perogative.

Personally i would rather hang for the whole game eat something and throw the ball around the lot and wait the traffic out, but not every one is like that. And that does not make them a bad fan. The PSL's will suck and if they are to high i am watching the games on the 60 inch sony.

I love how a PSL thread turns into a " Leaving the game early, or bad weather thing". If the working man can afford the tickets he can go, if he choses to leave early that is his perogative.

Personally i would rather hang for the whole game eat something and throw the ball around the lot and wait the traffic out, but not every one is like that. And that does not make them a bad fan. The PSL's will suck and if they are to high i am watching the games on the 60 inch sony.

Since I made the analogy, I will stick with it.

The point wasn't "bad fan vs good fan" it was that like most things Jets fans seem to get worked up about a ton of **** before having any real information, complain about it before it happens, while it is happening and after it is happens.

Max was referencing the "working class true fan" (not quoted) and I was saying that is the same fan that doesn't seem that loyal when it comes to the actual games.

You can be a great fan at home watching the game, but when the team is playing in a stadium and needs the support of 80,000 people, having half of them walk out because of traffic or a drizzle isn't helping. If the game comes down to weather and traffic, stay at home and let the people who don't care about either go and be loud in the stadium, cheering on their team for the entire game.

As for PSLs. I just think people want something for free. They don't want the Jets to raise ticket prices, parking prices, beer prices or have PSLs but also don't want to live in a crappy old stadium named after a rival team.

You want to move out of your 4th floor walk up in Queens and live on the Upper West Side, it is going to cost you.

You want to dump that mini-van and drive a new sports car, it is going to cost you.

The fans (yes, all of you) have been asking for the Jets to get their own stadium forever, but don't want to pay a dime.

Doesn't seem well thought out.

BZ

BZ: Let me get this straight. You would rather pay an upfront fee (PSL) for the right to buy season tickets than pay an exit (transfer) fee like the Pats charge?

Did I get that right?

BZ: Let me get this straight. You would rather pay an upfront fee (PSL) for the right to buy season tickets than pay an exit (transfer) fee like the Pats charge?

Did I get that right?

Are you factoring in that the Pats have the highest cost of games in the NFL?

My point is, you pay. Now. Later. Forever. You pay.

BZ

Are you factoring in that the Pats have the highest cost of games in the NFL?

My point is, you pay. Now. Later. Forever. You pay.

BZ

Do you know why the Pats have the highest ticket prices in the NFL? Gillette Stadium was privately funded.

Max was referencing the "working class true fan" (not quoted) and I was saying that is the same fan that doesn't seem that loyal when it comes to the actual games.

You can be a great fan at home watching the game, but when the team is playing in a stadium and needs the support of 80,000 people, having half of them walk out because of traffic or a drizzle isn't helping. If the game comes down to weather and traffic, stay at home and let the people who don't care about either go and be loud in the stadium, cheering on their team for the entire game.

And what exactly do you think the suits will do? You're unhappy about half of the fans walking out because of weather or traffic issues now while there are real fans left? What about come 2010 when there are 10, 15% of the real fans left, then what? The stadium will look like a morgue. December games when the team is 3-12 won't have 20-25,000, they'll have 2-5,000.

And what exactly do you think the suits will do? You're unhappy about half of the fans walking out because of weather or traffic issues now while there are real fans left? What about come 2010 when there are 10, 15% of the real fans left, then what? The stadium will look like a morgue. December games when the team is 3-12 won't have 20-25,000, they'll have 2-5,000.

BZ doesn't care as all of the tickets have been sold.

Thank you. We wrote about that 2 years ago. Woody will get what he wants. He better not go 4 and 12 when he does. Otherwise empty will have a new meaning.

Someone in this thread I am quoted as saying something I didn't about working class fans. I don't even know what defines working class. BZ isn't on his game today.

BZ doesn't care as all of the tickets have been sold.

BZ doesn't have a problem paying so it doesn't matter. The rest of us tuning on to CBS at home will be praying for the stadium to be sold out.

This way we can watch the game on our black and white TVs on CBS for free. :)

BZ doesn't have a problem paying so it doesn't matter. The rest of us tuning on to CBS at home will be praying for the stadium to be sold out.

We could always just pack the Kingsley and tailgate all day and watch the game on the big screen outside. :headbang:

Did I get that right?

i am not bz but i will answer yes to that. Reason being, i now where i stand from the beginning, and i know that when i pass them to my son i will not have to pay whatever the market rate is at the time which will clearly be much more at that time. Keep in mind, today the pats transfer fee is 5,000, what do you think it will be in 10 years or more? Most likely significantly more. With an exit fee the team pretty much keeps their ass covered allowing them to charge what they deem to be the fair market value at all times.

Now, if you could care less about ever passing these on to your children than fine, you can just walk away when the time comes and give up your tix and not pay anything or get anything back for them.

Do you know why the Pats have the highest ticket prices in the NFL? Gillette Stadium was privately funded.

It IS funded by Pats fans. That is why you have the highest Fan Cost Index in the NFL while your stadium was cheap to build ($350,000,000) in the middle of nowhere.

YOU are funding it.

BZ

BZ said there was no fee.

No fee? I always thought BZ was delusional but that statement says it all.

No TRANSFER fee.

The point is I will pay an upfront cost (PSL) to give me the ability to sell the tickets at market rate later.

You paid no upfront cost, but can't sell the rights (openly) and have to pay a $5,000 per ticket transfer fee.

I know you can get the simplicity of that.

BZ

Joe I think many on the site wanted the ability to keep tickets in their families name and pass down to the children but at some point just have to justify the costs. Along with the PSLs will be the continous increases of the ticket prices as well. The Jets could end up out doing the Pats by hitting the fans with PSLs and charging ticket prices in the same ballpark as New England.

Paying what? Until I get an invoice it is all FUD.

I have my limits as to what I will pay for the PSLs and for season tickets. If I can do it and enjoy the entertainment, that is great. If the cost totally outweighs the fun or takes away from more important things in my life (family, kids, travel, iPhones... ) I will not do it.

I too want to take my kid, family and friends to games for years to come so I will try to make it work.

You can get off your "BZ is rich and therefore wrong" high horse though, it just isn't true (no matter how many ROFL you put next to it).

BZ

Joe I think many on the site wanted the ability to keep tickets in their families name and pass down to the children but at some point just have to justify the costs. Along with the PSLs will be the continous increases of the ticket prices as well. The Jets could end up out doing the Pats by hitting the fans with PSLs and charging ticket prices in the same ballpark as New England.

well yeah in a perfect world we would be able to have the rights without paying psls or transfer fees and be able to fully transfer/pass them down whenever we want for no real fee, but this is not the perfect world. Heck, some teams don't really let you pass them down at all even to family members, the giants make it very hard to leave them to family. There just isn't any way around it, the jets tickets are a product that has supply far short of the demand for it, and the basic tenant of a market economy is supply and demand and the market setting the price for goods and services. Hey, we would all love to drive ferraris, live in 10,000 square foot homes on the water with 60 ft yachts tied up on the dock but not many of us can afford it. Does it make the people who provide and charge the prices they do for these things bastards? I am saying this knowing full well I may be one of the fans who gets screwed and has to give them up, but it is life. I hope by the time it comes around I will have the money to handle it, and I work 14-18 hour days running 2 businesses to get what I want, I don't have the mystical money tree in my backyard just like nobody else on this board has. Quote from The Departed "Well make more f#####' money. This is America. You don't make money, then you're a f#####' douchebag" (lol, j/k, but that line just always cracks me up and i wanted to work it into a post)

Paying what? Until I get an invoice it is all FUD.

I have my limits as to what I will pay for the PSLs and for season tickets. If I can do it and enjoy the entertainment, that is great. If the cost totally outweighs the fun or takes away from more important things in my life (family, kids, travel, iPhones... ) I will not do it.

I too want to take my kid, family and friends to games for years to come so I will try to make it work.

You can get off your "BZ is rich and therefore wrong" high horse though, it just isn't true (no matter how many ROFL you put next to it).

BZ

Wow man you are wound tight this week. When did I say you were rich and wrong? My beef with you is that you defend the Jets no matter what they do. You blast the fans for complaining about a 40 year drought. But the BZ is rich thing? I have no idea how much money you do or don't have. I don't even know what you do for a living.

Wow man you are wound tight this week. When did I say you were rich and wrong? My beef with you is that you defend the Jets no matter what they do. You blast the fans for complaining about a 40 year drought. But the BZ is rich thing? I have no idea how much money you do or don't have. I don't even know what you do for a living.

I heard he is the masked man that stars in the "Super Twink" series, but that ish ain't my cup of tea so I am just spreading a rumor here.

Listen we all know that this is a business. But in this patricular business you have a built in loyal customer( the fans). Even though you can make more initial money buy charging crazy PSL fees and having the corporations buy all the ticket including the more wealthy fans. If you have lean years ( like the jets always do) the corporations will jump ship. After all who want to go to a Islander game in the exec box....???? Only real big Islander fans. They suck so they loose their fan base and they never sell out anymore. After the novelty wears off about the new stadium if there is not a good product on the field they will go away. But we as fans were here during the Kotite years, during all the Herm crap.... Hell i have been going to games since 71. Woody is going to take it away from me because he wants to make more money and that is his option he owns the team.... But if they stay the same old Jets they will be giving the tickets away like they used to do with the Nets years ago.....

This is the comment..

"BZ doesn't have a problem paying so it doesn't matter."

If your only beef is that I defend the Jets, I have no beef with that. That is why I am the 3 time JN Homer! :)

I am not trying to blast anybody, just trying to spread a little reality and a different view. A lot of people are getting worked up about something that hasn't happened (giving away your tickets years before PSLs) and it just doesn't make sense.

The other thing I am trying to do is to explain that while there are downsides to PSLs (high upfront costs, limited time), there are also upsides, but those "40 year drought" fans don't want to talk about like higher ticket prices for the next 40 years, real economics, the entertainment industry, or the possible investment side of things.

I just love idea that fans will rag on the Jets for being a second class citizen but won't pony up the money to put them in a new stadium. The didn't want to pony it up for the West Side, Queens or the new stadium.

BZ

Listen we all know that this is a business. But in this patricular business you have a built in loyal customer( the fans). Even though you can make more initial money buy charging crazy PSL fees and having the corporations buy all the ticket including the more wealthy fans. If you have lean years ( like the jets always do) the corporations will jump ship. After all who want to go to a Islander game in the exec box....???? Only real big Islander fans. They suck so they loose their fan base and they never sell out anymore. After the novelty wears off about the new stadium if there is not a good product on the field they will go away. But we as fans were here during the Kotite years, during all the Herm crap.... Hell i have been going to games since 71. Woody is going to take it away from me because he wants to make more money and that is his option he owns the team.... But if they stay the same old Jets they will be giving the tickets away like they used to do with the Nets years ago.....

Fans were selling their tickets left and right during the Kotite years so lets not act like all loyal fans kept with the team.

Besides, just because you HAVE tickets doesn't make you any more loyal than the 10,000 on the waiting list that WANT tickets. There are also thousands of Giant fans who own JETS season tickets and sell them yearly to anyone. Another benefit of PSLs is to weed out the people who own but don't go. Own, but just sell to opposing fans. I am willing to bet that the fans stuffing those 80,000 seats on opening day in 2010 will be louder than anything the Jets have heard in 40 years.

I agree that if the team does poorly the fan base will dwindle, but that is every sport and all the entertainment industry but doesn't have anything to do with the stadium. That is why the Jets try to bring in the best front office to make the best coach choices to bring in the best players, put together the best plan to win the Super Bowl. If you think Woody needs to make a dime off the Jets, you are missing it. NFL owners could make 2-3 times their money putting it somewhere else.

BZ

Ehh, I don't see how they will not sell out tix every season, especially if they institute a psl. Who in their right mind will pony up for the psl and then just lose it all because they don't want to buy the tix after a bad year? I mean, yeah if the jets suck than the place will be empty, but the tix will already be sold. And seriously, how many people give up and stop going to games when it gets colder and the team sucks as it is now? So it isn't like the stadium clears out already anyway? I was at every game last year and it turned into a ghost town.

And people with money can be good fans too. I love how everyone talks about how the real fans will be priced out. Are these the same real fans who now leave in the THIRD QUARTER to "beat the traffic." And don't give me the "its the fans prerogative to leave early" thing while saying that real fans will be priced out and we will lose home advantage. How much home advantage have the jets had in the 4th quarter in the last few years?

Archived