cashing in on rights now or wait it out?

joebabyny

Anyone thought of cashing in now by selling their rights to season tix? I would think the minute psl's are announced it will kill any thought of selling rights, i mean, it will be obvious a ton of people will be priced out. Also, the psl announcement can come at any moment. Anyone think about this at all?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would seem that it would be difficult to sell your rights to your season tickets

at this point in time. Everyone is waiting to see what the story is with the PSLs.

If it turns out that the cost is going to be prohibitive for the average fan, there

will be many fans giving up their seats and many on the waiting list getting off it.

Those who can afford it can wait till that happens and have their choice of the

best locations.

On the other hand you can roll the dice and pick up someone's season tix and

by some miracle there is no psl or a minimal price and its a good location you

are ahead of the game.

:character0282:

As long as the Jets don't charge $5,000 for the transfer fee.

This is true,

Another thing that is going to control the value of the PSL's is how well the Jets are doing. if they are languishing at 5-11 they aren't going to be worth spit.

If they are 12-4. name the price.

Hey Joe another thing to consider...the Jets could put a very large fee in place in order to transfer your tickets in the new stadium to avoid funs making money off of them. Many new stadiums have done that...in order to transfer your tickets to someone else would cost like $3000

lost me with that one BZ...the Jets will charge a PSL and if you want to transfer your seat to someone else hit you with a large fee to do so.

No. The PSL means that you own all rights to the tickets, including the right to transfer them via sale. The Jets can't put a transfer fee on them because they don't own the rights to them if they charged a PSL. Ironically, they do have the right to do so now, however I believe they do not allow transfers through sale given that they were charging for the waiting list.

Beyond all the FUD, that is the upside with PSLs. You BUY the PSL and you OWN the license and can resell it at market prices without fees.

Right now, you don't own the tickets at all, just have the "rights" to buy them every year, which you cannot sell.

So, by waiting for the PSL, buying them and selling a few years later (after a good season) you could make a profit.

BZ

Beyond all the FUD, that is the upside with PSLs. You BUY the PSL and you OWN the license and can resell it at market prices without fees.

Right now, you don't own the tickets at all, just have the "rights" to buy them every year, which you cannot sell.

So, by waiting for the PSL, buying them and selling a few years later (after a good season) you could make a profit.

BZ

I'm so glad I don't work for you. you are a lost puppy my friend.

No. The PSL means that you own all rights to the tickets, including the right to transfer them via sale. The Jets can't put a transfer fee on them because they don't own the rights to them if they charged a PSL. Ironically, they do have the right to do so now, however I believe they do not allow transfers through sale given that they were charging for the waiting list.

exactly, either there will be a psl up front fee, or there will be a large back end transfer fee like the pats do. Actually, if you think about it, the high transfer fee is much worse than a psl for 2 reasons, 1 if you never transfer you never have to pay and 2 a team would have to charge something within reason in 2008 dollars today and see nothing in 2018 or 2028 when the rights are sold where as if they did it the pats way, they could always adjust the transfer fee to reflect the current market.

Call me crazy but seeing the word upside and PSL being used in the same sentence is just weird

That is because you have been reading all the negative **** here and on other boards for too long.

Nobody likes to be parted with their money, but there is an upside to PSLs.

But don't take this (like BP can't seem to resist) like I LOVE PSLs or am all for them. They are just a fact of life in new stadiums and ultimately, you will end up paying for it as a season ticket holder, either through higher ticket prices and fees or in PSLs.

BZ

Another thing that might happen with the PSL's and probably will is that if you

buy a seat you do not have it for all eternity.

There will be a point either 10 or 20 years from now or whatever when the license

will expire. You will then have to sign up again for the going rate.

A lot of teams have that in their contract.

Also when the stadium if built and you purchase a PSL you better hope that the Jets

don't decide down the road to build their own stadium because your license for

the new stadium expires and you lose everything.

Again a lot of teams havethat in their contract.

Obviously looking at the contract will be very important.

My understanding is the PSL lasts for the life of the stadium (typically 30 years) and I very much doubt the Jets are going to build their own stadium somewhere else in that time period.

BZ

Obviously looking at the contract will be very important.

My understanding is the PSL lasts for the life of the stadium (typically 30 years) and I very much doubt the Jets are going to build their own stadium somewhere else in that time period.

BZ

Two different things.

EVen if the Jets never move to their own stadium, the term of the license could

only be 10 or 20 years. Some teams have it for only 10 years.

20 years from now the value of a seat could be 5 times what you paid for it.

The teams want some of that action so that's why there will be a term limit.

10 years from now Woody could sell the team to the richest man in the world

who wants his own stadium for the Jets. You lose all rights to the seat you

had and along with that your investment.

I have been saying this for over a year. Right around the Tenn, N.E., or Denver game we will get letters in the mail stating the PSL situation. They will be from 5,000-20,000 per seat, depending where the tickets are located. you wll be able to finance them thru the team at a hefty interest rate. the contract will be for 15 years.... You will have until next spring to file for what you want to do. It will be a sad day when we realize for sure that the days of the regular guy going to the game are over in NY/NJ...

I have been saying this for over a year. Right around the Tenn, N.E., or Denver game we will get letters in the mail stating the PSL situation. They will be from 5,000-20,000 per seat, depending where the tickets are located. you wll be able to finance them thru the team at a hefty interest rate. the contract will be for 15 years.... You will have until next spring to file for what you want to do. It will be a sad day when we realize for sure that the days of the regular guy going to the game are over in NY/NJ...

And I can vouch that your rumors usually come true. Not that I would ever run one on the front page here or anything. But they are reliable for the most part.

:rl:

Two different things.

EVen if the Jets never move to their own stadium, the term of the license could

only be 10 or 20 years. Some teams have it for only 10 years.

20 years from now the value of a seat could be 5 times what you paid for it.

The teams want some of that action so that's why there will be a term limit.

10 years from now Woody could sell the team to the richest man in the world

who wants his own stadium for the Jets. You lose all rights to the seat you

had and along with that your investment.

That is a lot of IFs, not a lot of facts.

I just spent 30 minutes trying to find a PSL Agreement that validated any of that and could not.

Most articles say that while they are expensive, they do go up and can be resold later.

Also most stadiums DO NOT do PSLs for every seat, just some of the premium seats.

The fact of the matter is the NFL is entertainment and entertainment prices will always go up as the market demands. Some of the same fans who complain about playing in Giants stadium, but don't want to pay for something better.

Sorry, but you get what you pay for. A new stadium is going to cost more for the team and for the fan (all fans). Just like watching it on HD at home costs more, or DirecTV costs more.

BZ

A good thread on PSLs (from people who have ACTUALLY purchased them).

http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=391291

A NYT Article:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/22/sports/football/22seat.html?ex=1363924800&en=3e421d5dd559a456&ei=5124&partner=permalink&exprod=permalink

Another good thread:

http://blog.dallascowboys.com/forums/t/28874.aspx

I think it comes down to math:

PSLs

$5,000 per seat / 30 years = $166.7 a year / 10 = $17 a game

If you look at the Pats, their avg ticket price is $10 more than the Jets and but their total FCI (Fan Cost Index) is $50 more per game. That, over a 30 year period would be between $3,000 and $15,000 MORE.

BZ

BZ

That is a lot of IFs, not a lot of facts.

I just spent 30 minutes trying to find a PSL Agreement that validated any of that and could not.

Most articles say that while they are expensive, they do go up and can be resold later.

Also most stadiums DO NOT do PSLs for every seat, just some of the premium seats.

The fact of the matter is the NFL is entertainment and entertainment prices will always go up as the market demands. Some of the same fans who complain about playing in Giants stadium, but don't want to pay for something better.

Sorry, but you get what you pay for. A new stadium is going to cost more for the team and for the fan (all fans). Just like watching it on HD at home costs more, or DirecTV costs more.

BZ

Yes. I am glad we get to play in the new Giants Stadium. One day we will look back and realize the old Giants Stadium totally sucked.

:)

Yes. I am glad we get to play in the new Giants Stadium. One day we will look back and realize the old Giants Stadium totally sucked.

:)

And you wonder why Jet Fans have such low self esteem and pessimistic views... they can't get out from under the weight of their own self loathing.

BZ

A good thread on PSLs (from people who have ACTUALLY purchased them).

I love this post from one of those links:

I dont want to hear teams and players whining about how the stadium is 50% empty when it is cold or how there is no loud cheering anymore or how the team is 50% visiting fans.....

you price out the common fan and you get a laid back corporate crowd - it will be like the Garden - bunch of suits drinking and chatting business - no one caring about the game....although with the Knicks that is a good thing!

A HUGE thread on Cowboys, all over the place.

http://blog.dallascowboys.com/forums/t/27407.aspx?PageIndex=39

I dont want to hear teams and players whining about how the stadium is 50% empty when it is cold or how there is no loud cheering anymore or how the team is 50% visiting fans.....

you price out the common fan and you get a laid back corporate crowd - it will be like the Garden - bunch of suits drinking and chatting business - no one caring about the game....although with the Knicks that is a good thing!

And just how would that be any different from today? All those "true fans" that leave during half time to beat the traffic? All those "hard working, everyday guys" who don't show up if it is cold or raining?

BZ

And you wonder why Jet Fans have such low self esteem and pessimistic views... they can't get out from under the weight of their own self loathing.

BZ

Holy crap did you just say that Jets fans have low self esteem? WOW. I must have missed a research study.

I feel pretty good about myself regardless of how the Jets do on the field.

Holy crap did you just say that Jets fans have low self esteem? WOW. I must have missed a research study.

I feel pretty good about myself regardless of how the Jets do on the field.

Yes, about their team. Does the "Same old Jets" saying mean anything?

BZ

Another sound, well thought out, argument.

Are you channeling TX?

BZ

Ok, how's this. my brother has decided to just let his season tickets of 30 years go. goodbye section 140 row 23, first 3 seats from the aisle side next to section 101. :smilies2_puke:

Now put a good spin on that, Mr. propaganda minister.

Ok, how's this. my brother has decided to just let his season tickets of 30 years go. goodbye section 140 row 23, first 3 seats from the aisle side next to section 101. :smilies2_puke:

No spin. Just a question.

Why?

BZ

really? Did he get anything for them?

Archived