Soriano to the Mets not likely- From Daily News

faba

Price too high for Soriano

BY ADAM RUBIN

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Looks like Mets don't have trade chips to bring Alfonso Soriano's big bat to Shea.

DENVER - Omar Minaya long has coveted Rangers second baseman Alfonso Soriano, but such an acquisition looks too costly for the Mets.

A high-ranking official familiar with the talks called a deal for the ex-Yankee "increasingly doubtful." It's possible the Mets, while burning up the phone lines, won't make any major renovations by Sunday night's trading deadline.

The Mets are looking for upgrades at first base, second base and in the bullpen, and obstacles exist at each position.

The names most often mentioned in relief are closers Danys Baez of Tampa Bay and Jose Mesa of Pittsburgh. However, Devil Rays GM Chuck LaMar notoriously drives tough bargains. Plus, deputy GM Jim Duquette went on record last month, saying Devil Rays doctors "weren't straightforward with us" regarding the condition of Victor Zambrano's elbow at the time of last July's Scott Kazmir trade.

As for the Pirates, the Mets have talked about Mesa, according to one NL source, but more recently the conversations have turned to lefty-hitting first baseman Daryle Ward (.258, 11 HR, 53 RBI).

The Mets had been interested in Pittsburgh southpaws Mike Gonzalez and John Grabow, but Gonzalez is on the disabled list with an injured left knee that has sidelined him since June 22 and the Pirates don't seem intent on parting with either, anyway. The players most likely to be dealt from Pittsburgh are outfielder Matt Lawton, the former Met, and pitcher Mark Redman, neither of whom is a fit.

The Mets need to address first base now or come winter, with the team highly unlikely to pick up Doug Mientkiewicz's $3.75 million option. Yet short of Lyle Overbay, whom Milwaukee GM Doug Melvin has said won't be dealt until the winter - if at all - the other first basemen available have unattractive, big contracts like those of Todd Helton (Rockies) and Mike Sweeney (Royals). A Mets insider recently said Cincinnati's Sean Casey hasn't been made available, and he's not a power hitter, anyway.

At second, the Dodgers' Jeff Kent was mentioned in an Internet report.

One major problem the Mets have encountered is a farm system that has failed to impress other teams.

Second thoughts

Should the Mets pursue Alfonso Soriano? Here's the case for and against:

Get him

1. Mets could use another power jolt to lineup. Soriano has 25 homers.

2. At 29, he could form the nucleus for a top-notch infield with Jose Reyes and David Wright for years to come.

3. Mets would retain control of arbitration-eligible Soriano for 2006, when they should be even more serious contender.

Don't get him

1. Asking price is likely too severe. Center-field prospect Lastings Milledge is only one required chip.

2. What do you do with five players capable of manning second? (Kaz Matsui, Miguel Cairo, Marlon Anderson, Chris Woodward and Soriano.)

3. Mets need to save chips for potential deals - now or this winter - that would land a first baseman and catcher.

The deal won't happen.

The Rangers want Mike Cameron, Aaron Heilmann and 2 top prospects just for Soriano and Minaya isn't that big of an idiot...although he did sign Carlos Beltran to a 100+ million $ deal. :shock:

The deal won't happen.

The Rangers want Mike Cameron, Aaron Heilmann and 2 top prospects just for Soriano and Minaya isn't that big of an idiot...although he did sign Carlos Beltran to a 100+ million $ deal. :shock:

How would Beltran look in the Bronx playing CF right now?

Or Pedro on the mound?

124 you should not utter a single word about bad signings....not this year anyway.

Pavano

Brown

Randy

Wright

Giambi

Or Pedro on the mound?

124 you should not utter a single word about bad signings....not this year anyway.

Pavano

Brown

Randy

Wright

Giambi

Take Giambi off that list.

2003 ALCS..2 solo home runs off Pedro that kept the Yanks in the game.

Plus his rebirth this year has certainly breathed new life into the team.

It is a shame the Mets don't have a top flight young lefthanded fireballing prospect. If a guy like that was tearing up AAA then certainly the Mets would be able to trade him for Soriano.

Take Giambi off that list.

2003 ALCS..2 solo home runs off Pedro that kept the Yanks in the game.

Plus his rebirth this year has certainly breathed new life into the team.

Agree Tabor but when other Roider's accomplishments get a asterik mark on this forum,maybe we can also say that if not for those 2 roids aided blasts the Redsox are seeking a 3-peat.

It is a shame the Mets don't have a top flight young lefthanded fireballing prospect. If a guy like that was tearing up AAA then certainly the Mets would be able to trade him for Soriano.

Kazmir yeah would clinch the deal.

That was a prior GM though and Zambrano has pitched well.

Omar will wait and hopefully either Heilman or Cameron will be removed from the equation.

I don't think Omar would trade Kazmir if we still had him anyway.

Soriano at second for the Mets - poor defense, too many strikeouts, and Shea is a lot different than his previous home ballparks in terms of hitting homeruns. Recipe for disaster.

Id almost rather try and get Jeff Kent for cash and garbage players and let him play 2nd and spell Mientky at 1st from time to time.

The deal won't happen.

Are you kidding me? There is no better CF in NY right now than Carlos Beltran andthere is no better Starting pitcher than pedro.

Pavano - Bust

Jaret Wright - Bust

Johnson - Not $14 million dominant

LL

Agree Tabor but when other Roider's accomplishments get a asterik mark on this forum,maybe we can also say that if not for those 2 roids aided blasts the Redsox are seeking a 3-peat.

True. But exaclty how many players on BOTH sides were on the juice at that time, we will never know.

Or a veteran proven big game lefty currently pitching lights out baseball in Houston. :wink:

Are you kidding me? There is no better CF in NY right now than Carlos Beltran andthere is no better Starting pitcher than pedro.

Pavano - Bust

Jaret Wright - Bust

LL

It would wise of you to wait till the postseason and see how RJ and Pavano do there.

Its ALL ABOUT THE POSTSEASON. Regular season stats dont matter once October comes around.

And this Soriano to Mets thing being shotdown......

Blessing in Disguise for Mets fans because Soriano is 100% Hack at the plate.

Meanwhile Scott Kazmir looks like a future #1 pitcher, all-star game starting, mini RJ.

And Zambrano is still cleaning the toilets in the clubhouse. Frickin loser. How could the Mets trade Kazmir for Zambrano? Unbelievable!

I wish the Yankees would have been on to that Kazmir. Tom Gordon, Eric Duncan and Phillip Hughes bye bye for Scott Kazmir.

Meanwhile Scott Kazmir looks like a future #1 pitcher, all-star game starting, mini RJ.

And Zambrano is still cleaning the toilets in the clubhouse. Frickin loser. How could the Mets trade Kazmir for Zambrano? Unbelievable!

How many Zambrano starts have you watched this year? :shock:

Guys been pretty decent, with little run support. But go ahead and put Kazmir in the HOF already. When the little guy blows out his arm or winds up in the pen, we'll see. A little too early to judge that deal.

How many Zambrano starts have you watched this year? :shock:

Guys been pretty decent, with little run support. But go ahead and put Kazmir in the HOF already. When the little guy blows out his arm or winds up in the pen, we'll see. A little too early to judge that deal.

Kazmirs size does worry me because of that electric fastball of his.

Zambrano is a good pitcher, dont get me wrong.

But Kazmir, IMO, is already a better pitcher. And will be a GREAT pitcher

Kazmir IMO was a mistake for the Mets to trade away for Zambrano- I said that right from the beginning. If you look at the games pitched this year though Zambrano has given up three or less runs in by far the majority of his outings. Kazmir also has had control problems this year-his strike to walk ratio has not been good- still think he will be a solid starter

But Kazmir, IMO, is already a better pitcher. And will be a GREAT pitcher

The first part is debatable.

IP H R ER HR BB K W L SV IP ERA

Kaz: 115.0 103 59 53 8 65 96 5 7 0 0 4.15

VZ: 109.2 106 53 47 6 54 69 4 9 0 0 3.86

So this year, in almost the same amount of innings, Zambrano has let up less runs, less earned runs, less HR, less walks, and has a lower ERA (obviously). And the win column is 4-5.

But Kazmir is right now a better pitcher? :shock:

The second part, well, its a little early to call. What if he winds up in the pen as a closer like a lot of guys his size and makeup?

Zambrano takes a lot of sh*t from people, but the guy has good stuff, and his last 10 starts, 9 have been pretty quality (his last outing he got roughed up). When you let up 3 or less ER in 9 of 10 starts, and only walk away with 2 wins, thats not the pitchers fault.

Date Opponent Score Dec IP H R ER HR BB K W L SV IP ERA

Jul 22 LAD L 5-6 L 4.2 10 6 6 1 0 1 4 9 0 109.2 3.86

Jul 16 ATL L 0-3 L 7.0 6 2 2 0 4 6 4 8 0 105.0 3.51

Jul 8 @ PIT L 5-6 - 8.0 5 1 1 0 1 4 4 7 0 98.0 3.58

Jul 3 FLA L 0-3 L 8.0 7 3 3 0 2 1 4 7 0 90.0 3.80

Jun 28 PHI W 8-3 W 5.0 4 1 1 0 3 7 4 6 0 82.0 3.84

Jun 22 @ PHI L 4-8 - 6.0 6 2 2 1 3 4 3 6 0 77.0 3.97

Jun 15 @ OAK L 2-3 - 7.2 5 2 2 0 2 1 3 6 0 71.0 4.06

Jun 8 HOU L 1-4 L 6.0 6 3 3 0 2 3 3 6 0 63.1 4.26

Jun 1 ARI W 2-1 W 8.0 5 1 1 0 3 5 3 5 0 57.1 4.24

May 25 @ ATL L 0-3 L 6.0 4 3 1 0 3 2 2 5 0 49.1 4.74

Or Pedro on the mound?

Pavano

Brown

Randy

Wright

Giambi

Was Kevin Brown a signing? Or was his contract picked up, from the Weaver trade?

And a part of the Randy trade was the extension that they had to do, or else he wouldn't come. That's kind of a catch 24.

Now, I'm not defending the Yanks, I'm just saying not all of them were signings.

The first part is debatable.

IP H R ER HR BB K W L SV IP ERA

Kaz: 115.0 103 59 53 8 65 96 5 7 0 0 4.15

VZ: 109.2 106 53 47 6 54 69 4 9 0 0 3.86

So this year, in almost the same amount of innings, Zambrano has let up less runs, less earned runs, less HR, less walks, and has a lower ERA (obviously). And the win column is 4-5.

But Kazmir is right now a better pitcher? :shock:

The second part, well, its a little early to call. What if he winds up in the pen as a closer like a lot of guys his size and makeup?

Zambrano takes a lot of Sh#t from people, but the guy has good stuff, and his last 10 starts, 9 have been pretty quality (his last outing he got roughed up). When you let up 3 or less ER in 9 of 10 starts, and only walk away with 2 wins, thats not the pitchers fault.

Difference is Kazmir is 21 years old and pitches in the American League.

Kazmir has dominated the red sox 2 maybe even 3 times this season and dominated the Yankees the last time he faced them.

NL Lineups are a joke.

Pavano - Bust

Jaret Wright - Bust

LL

So Pavano is a bust based on half a season? If that was the case that Beltran would be a huge bust as well. Total BS.

Injured swinging the bat Max.

You saying he should not have been priority one that off season?

Not saying that at all. I was furious they let him go. Furious.

Cashman should be shown the door tomorrow for letting this happen. I don't care what big George said.

Petite, Leiber, Weaver, Wright, Contreras...Cash just can't judge which ones to hold and which ones to let go.

Andy should still be here. It is a shame that he is gone. He is the kind of guy you BUILD around. Not let walk after winning 4 World Series.

I was so pissed when Pettite left

I remember calling the NYPost and telling them to put a picture of andy on the back cover titled "WE WANT ANDY BACK" and have fans around the world express their feelings of wanting Andy to stay in NY.

They said "Ok we'll do it" I was like "REALLY!?!?!"

They said "No, we cant do that"

I said "thanks alot a$$hole" and hungup

Andy signed with the asstros and I covered up his face on all my WS posters. They are still covered up.

At one point yesterday Alfonso Soriano got a call from his agent telling him to pack his bags and that he was traded to the Mets. Only moments later did he receive another call telling him that the deal hit a snag.

The Rangers are asking for Aaron Heilman and Yusmeiro Petit at the moment, but the Mets want to substitute Victor Zambrano for Heilman. Regardless, it's looking more likely Soriano will be headed to the Mets this weekend. Jul. 28 - 1:21 pm et

Source: Dallas Morning News

Whats with that? I would trade all three.

At one point yesterday Alfonso Soriano got a call from his agent telling him to pack his bags and that he was traded to the Mets. Only moments later did he receive another call telling him that the deal hit a snag.

The Rangers are asking for Aaron Heilman and Yusmeiro Petit at the moment, but the Mets want to substitute Victor Zambrano for Heilman. Regardless, it's looking more likely Soriano will be headed to the Mets this weekend. Jul. 28 - 1:21 pm et

Source: Dallas Morning News

Whats with that? I would trade all three.

I dont anything about Petit or Heilman, although I've seen Heilman pitch.

I would make this deal if I was the Mets, but trust me, Soriano despite putting up great numbers, is 1 of the most frustrating players you can watch. He'll be great 1 night and other nights you can just tell he's a sucker at the plate when he swings at those low and away curveballs.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wouldnt you say the NL is more of a curveball/breaking ball league? I believe I have heard this statement from several baseball people. Soriano might take off in the NL due to subpar pitching around the league, but he might totally tank due to Shea Stadium and the NL being a league of breakingball pitchers.

Sori is a star EB....even out of pinstripes.

A star, but a superstar? His numbers say that but I was just never a fan of Soriano. You know me, I'm not a mets basher. I was 1 of the few yankee fans here who backuped up David Wright being a future superstar.

Archived