Garcia to hold out?

jetfuel

OrlandoSentinel.com

NFL Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tampa Bay Bucs QB Jeff Garcia wants contract extension

He hopes his stats will speak for themselves to a team that's stiff about deal extensions.

Chris Harry

Sentinel Staff Writer

May 14, 2008

TAMPA

Jeff Garcia knows what his addition meant to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers last season.

He's beginning to wonder whether the Bucs have forgotten.

"You want guys to go out and give everything they have and lay their bodies on the line, lay their hearts on the line," the Pro Bowl quarterback said following Tuesday's organized team activities workout. "Well, we want you to lay something on the line, too."

Garcia, 38, wants a contract extension to the two-year $15 million free-agent deal he signed in March 2007. He believes his numbers (64 percent completions, 2,440 yards, 13 touchdowns, 4 interceptions, 94.6 rating) warrant one. He makes a convincing argument, considering the Bucs were 4-12 in 2006 without him versus 9-7 and NFC South Division champs with him in '07.

Though he's set to be with the same team for a second straight year for the first time in five seasons, and out of respect for his teammates never has staged a holdout, Garcia did not rule out the possibility of making a statement when the time comes to report for training camp July 25 at Celebration.

"There might come a time when I might have to stand up," Garcia said. "At some point, you just want to see the respect from up top."

In his brief chat with reporters, the 11-year veteran also lobbied for the Bucs to take care of running back Earnest Graham, who also is set to enter the final year of his deal and has boycotted the club's offseason workouts.

Graham, who could not be reached for comment, rose from the bottom of the depth chart following injuries to Carnell Williams and Michael Pittman to rush for 898 yards and a team record-tying 10 touchdowns.

"In no way did I feel -- or anyone on this team feel -- that was a fluke, yet he's stuck on the bottom [of the pecking order]," Garcia said of Graham, who finished 10th in the conference in rushing and is due to make the league's fifth-year veteran minimum of $605,000 this fall. "He is a guy we all believe, as teammates and players in this business, should be rewarded."

General Manager Bruce Allen was not available for comment Tuesday. He last spoke to Garcia's contract situation April 27 during his post-draft news conference.

"There are players that we are having dialogue with about doing contract extensions that we feel can be a key component to our future," said Allen, who was asked specifically about his quarterback. "I have had dialogue with his representative."

Steve Baker, Garcia's San Francisco-based agent, could not be reached for comment. According to Garcia, the Bucs canceled a scheduled meeting with Baker last Friday.

Garcia expressed concern with his contract during the Bucs' first wave of OTAs last month.

That was six weeks ago.

On Tuesday, Garcia maintained his usual diplomacy in his pointed remarks, but clearly the issue is weighing on him through perfect attendance at spring workouts.

He was asked whether he had faith that his good faith would be rewarded.

"Not really," Garcia said. "From the way things have seemed to go in the past, it doesn't seem to create a real positive picture for the future."

Under Allen, the Bucs have been reticent when it comes to contract extensions. In the past, though, the Bucs had salary cap issues handcuffing their options.

Currently, the team is an estimated $25 million under the cap.

"All I'm asking for is a little respect," Garcia said.

Garcia is one of seven quarterbacks listed on the club's roster, though two of them -- Chris Simms (an offseason no-show hoping for his release) and Jake Plummer (presumably retired) -- are not around. The remaining four are Brian Griese, who was acquired in a trade with Chicago, along with incumbents Luke McCown and Bruce Gradkowski, plus rookie fifth-round pick Josh Johnson out of San Diego.

Chris Harry can be reached at charry@orlandosentinel.com.

Copyright © 2008, Orlando Sentinel

this is a guy I've been wanting to come here for a while. Kitna also. These two guys are just warriors. We wouldn't even be discussing the whole chad vs. kellen thing with either of them here.

Would him coming here turn the coin flip into a rock,paper,scissors game instead.

this is a guy I've been wanting to come here for a while. Kitna also. These two guys are just warriors. We wouldn't even be discussing the whole chad vs. kellen thing with either of them here.

I remember last offseason, when I advocated signing Garcia, I was told by all the Penningtologists that Chad was a better QB.

LOL.

What are you guys talking about? He doesn't have anywhere near the completion % to be an effective QB here;)

Archived