Clemington?

Greenseed3

"There's no doubt that coach Eric Mangini would rather have a clear-cut No. 1, but his front office didn't give him one. Mangini would love to have Clemens grab hold of the job and not let go, but he can't assume it's going to happen.

So Mangini did the smart thing last week at a workout. He had the two quarterbacks take the same number of reps, and even flipped a coin to see who would go first. Both players enter the competition, and may the better man win.

Chances are, neither QB will hold the job all season. The Miami Dolphins had some pretty good teams with David Woodley and Don Strock sharing time together. The combination was even given a nickname: "Woodstrock."

Of course, Don Shula wanted a quarterback who was clearly a No. 1 and found him in Dan Marino. Until Mangini gets his Marino, he might have to hope he can get some wins out of "Clemington.""

--------------------------------------------------------------

First off, thank you Kentucky Jet for the article... Secondly, I like this idea!!

Let Chad start each game with the West-Coast/Ball Control offense... Then let Clemens play the second half of every game (as the closer) and bring in the Power-Running/Air-It-Out offense.

It'd be like baseball, starters & closers. While not ideal, it keeps both arms healthier until our "Marino" comes along.

Chad can read a defense and take advantage of it (with pre-snap audibles) during his half of the game. He can then share specific reads he's getting from various defenders--and pass that along to Clemens.

In Clemens' half of the game, he can take advantage of a tired defense by stretching it out, late in the game...and he has no problem gripping the reigns of the two-minute offense.

This would in essence make Chad the starter, but would also double his career, while really teaching KC the ropes.

"There's no doubt that coach Eric Mangini would rather have a clear-cut No. 1, but his front office didn't give him one. Mangini would love to have Clemens grab hold of the job and not let go, but he can't assume it's going to happen.

So Mangini did the smart thing last week at a workout. He had the two quarterbacks take the same number of reps, and even flipped a coin to see who would go first. Both players enter the competition, and may the better man win.

Chances are, neither QB will hold the job all season. The Miami Dolphins had some pretty good teams with David Woodley and Don Strock sharing time together. The combination was even given a nickname: "Woodstrock."

Of course, Don Shula wanted a quarterback who was clearly a No. 1 and found him in Dan Marino. Until Mangini gets his Marino, he might have to hope he can get some wins out of "Clemington.""

--------------------------------------------------------------

First off, thank you Kentucky Jet for the article... Secondly, I like this idea!!

Let Chad start each game with the West-Coast/Ball Control offense... Then let Clemens play the second half of every game (as the closer) and bring in the Power-Running/Air-It-Out offense.

It'd be like baseball, starters & closers. While not ideal, it keeps both arms healthier until our "Marino" comes along.

Its possible, this is still better than Chad playing the entire game I guess So I'd rather see this than Chad being the #1.

Why would we need a set of playbooks? Both QBs should understand the entire playbook; ideally both could execute it in entirety...Unfortunately, this isn't the case. The 2-QB approach would raise awareness levels in both QBs, and be a good way to showcase (for trading purposes) which QB gets the axe once our "Marino" comes along.

Why would we need a set of playbooks? Both QBs should understand the entire playbook; ideally both could execute it in entirety...Unfortunately, this isn't the case. The 2-QB approach would raise awareness levels in both QBs, and be a good way to showcase (for trading purposes) which QB gets the axe once our "Marino" comes along.
I would go with 2 books, only because there are too many throws Chad can't make, and if you cater to that then you handcuff Clemens, so at the very least the book needs to get bigger.

I would go with 2 books, only because there are too many throws Chad can't make, and if you cater to that then you handcuff Clemens, so at the very least the book needs to get bigger.

i'm sure the rest of the offense would love to learn an entirely new playbook for a 30 year old QB that can't throw. That should go over nicely.

i'm sure the rest of the offense would love to learn an entirely new playbook for a 30 year old QB that can't throw. That should go over nicely.
Well I think many who have been here still know it.

If you are going to use 2 QB's with different strenghts than the smart thing would be to have plays that cater to both. No?

Well I think many who have been here still know it.

If you are going to use 2 QB's with different strenghts than the smart thing would be to have plays that cater to both. No?

that's assuming you have two QB's, at this point it looks like we have one half of one QB. Chad hardly even counts as NFL roster space, he has no arm.

that's assuming you have two QB's, at this point it looks like we have one half of one QB. Chad hardly even counts as NFL roster space, he has no arm.
Well if that is the case then Clemens should win the starting job easily, and I hope he does.

Now if he does not than what does that say about him?

There are already 95 Chad Vs. Kellen threads, I though this was about the posibility of using both?

We could always let Mike Nugent play Quarterback.

High school: Attended Centerville (Oh.) High School, playing football for coach Ron Ullery...Second-team Division I Associated Press All-Ohio selection and first-team Western Ohio League and All-Southwest Ohio choice as a senior...In 2000, he connected on 5-of-7 field goal opportunities and was perfect on 29-of-29 PATs while also kicking a school record 52-yard field goal...Converted 13-of-17 field goals, set a school record with 165 PATs and totaled 262 points in his four-year career...Also played quarterback, throwing for three touch-downs and rushing for seven scores as a senior...Served as team captain and was awarded offensive MVP honors that year...Also a member of the National Honor Society.

We could always let Mike Nugent play Quarterback.

High school: Attended Centerville (Oh.) High School, playing football for coach Ron Ullery...Second-team Division I Associated Press All-Ohio selection and first-team Western Ohio League and All-Southwest Ohio choice as a senior...In 2000, he connected on 5-of-7 field goal opportunities and was perfect on 29-of-29 PATs while also kicking a school record 52-yard field goal...Converted 13-of-17 field goals, set a school record with 165 PATs and totaled 262 points in his four-year career...Also played quarterback, throwing for three touch-downs and rushing for seven scores as a senior...Served as team captain and was awarded offensive MVP honors that year...Also a member of the National Honor Society.

So are we going with 3 QB's a game or just him? ;)

Chad can read a defense and take advantage of it (with pre-snap audibles) during his half of the game. He can then share specific reads he's getting from various defenders--and pass that along to Clemens.

In Clemens' half of the game, he can take advantage of a tired defense by stretching it out, late in the game...and he has no problem gripping the reigns of the two-minute offense.

This would in essence make Chad the starter, but would also double his career, while really teaching KC the ropes.

That would be a complete nightmare. A team needs a starting QB, not a platoon. I agreed a lot more with the first portion of that article.

There should be one starting quarterback on the Jets. And he shouldn't be the guy from Marshall.

Don't get me wrong, Clemens isn't the next Brett Favre. He's not going to be great this year. He might not be great ever. He might never even be a passable NFL quarterback. I don't know what he is. Neither, apparently, do the Jets.

The unknown is the allure. Clemens was a top college player. He was a second-round pick. He has a big arm. The potential is there.

Sure, there's a very real possibility that it goes unfulfilled. It's a chance the Jets have to take.

Pennington is anything but an unknown. The track record in green and white extends through eight up-and-down seasons. If he started every game of 2008, he'd end up with something like 18 touchdowns, 14 interceptions, and a high completion percentage.

That's somewhere between average and good. It's not great. Pennington can't be great anymore. Not after two shoulder surgeries sapped what little arm strength he once had. Pennington, under the right conditions, could get the Jets to the playoffs. Once there, he'll always be overmatched.

Giving him the job would be a step back for this organization. Even if Clemens beats him out in camp, he'll be looking over his shoulder with every incompletion.

Just hand the reins to the kid. If the QB of the future is on this roster, it's him.

A lot more.

That would be a complete nightmare. A team needs a starting QB, not a platoon. I agreed a lot more with the first portion of that article.

A lot more.

That would give creedence to Clemens being the clear-cut winner of the two QBs. The fact that we're flipping coins to determine a fair evaluation says that neither QB has "grabbed the reigns" just yet, and perhaps a QB-by-committee approach would benefit the team in the meantime; not to mention keep defenses on their toes; how would you gameplan two different QBs for a week? At the very least, we could initiate a lot of studying on behalf of our opponents, and become a very flexible team in terms of game-day philosophies.

That would give creedence to Clemens being the clear-cut winner of the two QBs. The fact that we're flipping coins to determine a fair evaluation says that neither QB has "grabbed the reigns" just yet, and perhaps a QB-by-committee approach would benefit the team in the meantime; not to mention keep defenses on their toes; how would you gameplan two different QBs for a week? At the very least, we could initiate a lot of studying on behalf of our opponents, and become a very flexible team in terms of game-day philosophies.
They flipped a coin to see who would go first on the first day, the coin will not be deciding anything, how the competition goes will determine who starts.

Archived