And so it begins: Joba being groomed to become a starter

http://newyork.yankees.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080521&content_id=2746128&vkey=news_nyy&fext=.jsp&c_id=nyy

Joba begins process of joining rotation

Reliever increasing pitch count, will start later this season

By Bryan Hoch / MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Joba Chamberlain has started his path to the Yankees' starting rotation.

The 22-year-old right-hander pitched two scoreless innings in Wednesday's 8-0 victory over the Orioles, throwing 35 pitches. After the game, the Yankees revealed that Chamberlain will begin to increase his pitch count on a to-be-announced schedule in order to prepare him to become a starter later in the season.

"This is the timetable we had," said Yankees manager Joe Girardi, who revealed that the organization had been planning to move Chamberlain at some point after the second week of May.

Chamberlain is 1-2 with a 2.66 ERA in 18 appearances for the Yankees this season, walking nine and striking out 25 around 14 hits in 20 1/3 innings. He was informed by general manager Brian Cashman before the Yankees' game on Tuesday against Baltimore.

For the time being, Chamberlain will stay with the Yankees and stretch out at the Major League level, though the club has not ruled out a Minor League assignment at some point later in his transition as he builds near 100 pitches.

"You've got to maintain that same charisma and everything that you've done in the eighth inning that made me get to this point," Chamberlain said. "I can't change because that's who I am as a starting pitcher, too. Mentally, it's going to be a little different, but the huge difference is making sure my legs are under me."

His expected move to the rotation has been a mysterious topic in recent weeks, as the Yankees continue to project him as a top-flight starting pitcher even though he proved dominant in relief after joining the Yankees in August last season.

"We believe that Joba has the ability to excel in both arenas," Cashman said.

Earlier Wednesday in a telephone interview with MLB.com, Yankees co-chairman Hank Steinbrenner again pushed for Chamberlain's entry to the starting rotation.

"What I've learned over 35 years of all of this from baseball people is that you can talk all you want about bullpens, but starting pitching is what gets it done," Steinbrenner said. "If you have two great relievers in the bullpen, it doesn't do us any good."

Bryan Hoch is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Here are players the Yanks should consider bringing up when Joba is finally going to be starting.

Scott Patterson (AAA)

1-0, 2.70 ERA, 20 IP, 17 Hits, 1 HR, 5 BB, 19 K's, .227 Avg

David Robertson (AA, AAA)

1-0, 1.61 ERA, 28 IP, 14 Hits, 0 HR, 13 BB, 36 K's, .149 Avg

J.B. Cox (AA, AAA)

0-0, 1.65 ERA, 16.1 IP, 12 Hits, 0 HR, 5 BB, 8 K's, .207 Avg

Mark Melancon (A, AA) - This years Joba, not a starter though.... lol

2-0, 2.67 ERA, 30.1 IP, 28 Hits, 2 HR, 7 BB, 28 K's, .246 Avg

Here are players the Yanks should consider bringing up when Joba is finally going to be starting.

Scott Patterson (AAA)

1-0, 2.70 ERA, 20 IP, 17 Hits, 1 HR, 5 BB, 19 K's, .227 Avg

David Robertson (AA, AAA)

1-0, 1.61 ERA, 28 IP, 14 Hits, 0 HR, 13 BB, 36 K's, .149 Avg

J.B. Cox (AA, AAA)

0-0, 1.65 ERA, 16.1 IP, 12 Hits, 0 HR, 5 BB, 8 K's, .207 Avg

Mark Melancon (A, AA) - This years Joba, not a starter though.... lol

2-0, 2.67 ERA, 30.1 IP, 28 Hits, 2 HR, 7 BB, 28 K's, .246 Avg

Are any of these guys lefties?

They need him in the rotation. They don't want him pitching too many innings this year. Can't blame them with all the young arms that seem to get hurt every year.

Looking forward to seeing him as a starter.

They need him in the rotation. They don't want him pitching too many innings this year. Can't blame them with all the young arms that seem to get hurt every year.

Looking forward to seeing him as a starter.

I still don't understand the logic. Mariano is getting up there in age and Joba looks to me like the perfect guy to be a closer.

It will be interesting to see how he does in the minors as a starter.

I still don't understand the logic. Mariano is getting up there in age and Joba looks to me like the perfect guy to be a closer.

He has four quality pitches; you don't put a guy like that in the bullpen.

What's more important to a team: 80 innings, or 200?

He has four quality pitches; you don't put a guy like that in the bullpen.

What's more important to a team: 80 innings, or 200?

Depends on the situation. What are the Yankees going to do when Mariano retires?

Reliable closers don't exactly grow on trees. Mariano is going to be 39 in November.

Jonathan Broxton in the future?

Brad Lidge is on the market this year.

I was being facetious more than anything.

I know you were being facetious thats why I made the "who" comment.

Haven't the Red Sox proven that bringing up a home grown guy to be your closer is the way to go? That's why I question the Yankees moving Joba to the starting rotation.

It's easy to find an effective closer. There will never be another Mariano but kick over a can and two dozen Jose Valverdes and Tood Jones fall out.

Joba has the stuff to be a dominant starting pitcher eventually. He is going to eat the Red Sox alive.

Joba has the stuff to be a dominant starting pitcher eventually.

I keep on reading these comments from Yankees fans. Has anyone seen Joba go more than 2 innings?

It will be interesting to see how he does.

I keep on reading these comments from Yankees fans. Has anyone seen Joba go more than 2 innings?

It will be interesting to see how he does.

He was a starter in the minor leagues before he became a reliever for half a season last year.

Jesus Christ people like you are acting like we're making Mariano Rivera into a starting pitcher.

I think Mariano has given up 1 earned run this year and is in the 1st year of a 4 year deal. Enough said.

Depends on the situation. What are the Yankees going to do when Mariano retires?

Reliable closers don't exactly grow on trees. Mariano is going to be 39 in November.

Typical Patsie B.S.

You totally left out that he doesn't turn 39 until the VERY end of November.

He was a starter in the minor leagues before he became a reliever for half a season last year.

Jesus Christ people like you are acting like we're making Mariano Rivera into a starting pitcher.

I don't watch Yankee minor league baseball so please give me a pass on Joba's accomplishments in AA or AAA ball.

Are any of these guys lefties?

None are lefties. We pretty much have to make a trade for one, hopefully Damaso Marte or someone like that. The only lefties we've got are Heath Phillips, and Billy Traber. Sean Henn was cut, I believe, and is playing elsewhere I think.

Joba needs to be a starter, we've got other people coming up that could probably be a reliever. Like I mentioned before, players like Humberto Sanchez, J.B. Cox, and Mark Melancon all have closing potential. You don't have a player like Joba, who has 4 plus pitches in the bullpen. Papelbon only has 2 plus pitches, so yeah, he's a closer, he wouldn't have made it as a starter. The longest he probably would have gone would have been like 5 innings. Joba is a starter, I hate when people compare the two. Ones a starter, the others a closer.

so will you give up on Joba also if he flames out as a starter?

Just want to know for future reference.

We just put him back in the pen, if he doesn't pitch well as a starter. It would be stupid not to try him as a starter though. You do not leave a guy with 4 plus pitches (Fastball, Slider, Curve, Change) in the bullpen. If it doesn't work out, then yeah, you put him back in the bullpen.

We just put him back in the pen, if he doesn't pitch well as a starter. It would be stupid not to try him as a starter though. You do not leave a guy with 4 plus pitches (Fastball, Slider, Curve, Change) in the bullpen. If it doesn't work out, then yeah, you put him back in the bullpen.

He should be a starter, and should have been to start the season. I only ask since fans have given up on Kennedy and Hughes, yet both had great minor league numbers.

I'm just wondering what the reaction will be when Joba has the eventual lousy stretch..

Excellent post.

When it comes to the "Joba can never be a starter" crowd there are a multitude of agendas at work. You have the know-it-alls like Russo and Francesa on WFAN who argued it once and will never back down b/c they think they know everything.

Then you have the Red Sox and Mets fans who simply don't want to see the Yankees get better and have a guy who could possibly be a legit ace. Yankee-haters love that the team has been with mediocre starting pitching for the past 3-4 years now and want to continue to see us lose in the first round or simply not make the playoffs at all.

Then you have the people who have no balls at all and think Joba's arm will fall off if pitches as a starter. They're not complaining about 21 year old Phil Hughes being a starting pitcher but for some reason Joba, who also was a starting pitcher in the minors, will have his arm fall off and need TOmmy John surgery after one season.

I was at the Yanks-O's game last nite watching Joba up close and the guy has amazing stuff. Consistent 99 mph fastballs. I'm not saying he'll be an ace right away but he can definitely help right away. Joba will be an excellent starting pitcher.

Question: What's better? Joba for 5-6 innings or Igawa/Kennedy/Hughes fr 5-6 innings?

He should be a starter, and should have been to start the season. I only ask since fans have given up on Kennedy and Hughes, yet both had great minor league numbers.

I'm just wondering what the reaction will be when Joba has the eventual lousy stretch..

Well, I am not one of those people that have given up in Kennedy, or Hughes. If Darrell Rasner can do what he's doing after being a typical AAAA pitcher, then turning into being able to pitch in the majors, then anything could happen. Darrell Rasner was a career AAA pitcher, and couldn't make it out of that league to save his life. Now, he is pitching solid, so if it takes Hughes, Kennedy, or Joba until they're 27 to being able to handle the majors then so be it.

Well, I am not one of those people that have given up in Kennedy, or Hughes. If Darrell Rasner can do what he's doing after being a typical AAAA pitcher, then turning into being able to pitch in the majors, then anything could happen. Darrell Rasner was a career AAA pitcher, and couldn't make it out of that league to save his life. Now, he is pitching solid, so if it takes Hughes, Kennedy, or Joba until they're 27 to being able to handle the majors then so be it.

Rasner is the real deal. He was tearing it up in the minors and so far he's pitched very well. Kennedy is so far pitching decent against the O's tonight. Hopefully, he's starting to turn it around.

Joba still has to be a starting pitcher either some time this season or at the very latest next season. It's not that hard to find an effective closer. Mush harder to find an ace. There will never be another Mariano but there are plenty of Jose Valverdes and Billy Wagners out there.

Excellent post.

When it comes to the "Joba can never be a starter" crowd there are a multitude of agendas at work. You have the know-it-alls like Russo and Francesa on WFAN who argued it once and will never back down b/c they think they know everything.

Then you have the Red Sox and Mets fans who simply don't want to see the Yankees get better and have a guy who could possibly be a legit ace. Yankee-haters love that the team has been with mediocre starting pitching for the past 3-4 years now and want to continue to see us lose in the first round or simply not make the playoffs at all.

Then you have the people who have no balls at all and think Joba's arm will fall off if pitches as a starter. They're not complaining about 21 year old Phil Hughes being a starting pitcher but for some reason Joba, who also was a starting pitcher in the minors, will have his arm fall off and need TOmmy John surgery after one season.

I was at the Yanks-O's game last nite watching Joba up close and the guy has amazing stuff. Consistent 99 mph fastballs. I'm not saying he'll be an ace right away but he can definitely help right away. Joba will be an excellent starting pitcher.

Question: What's better? Joba for 5-6 innings or Igawa/Kennedy/Hughes fr 5-6 innings?

What met fan is in the "never want Joba to be a starter" club? And we dont want him to be a starter because the yankees might be good again someday?

maybe pathetic, loser mets fans who dislike the yankees because they were successful for a nice stretch... but not all mets fans fall into this category... I thinks you might be overplaying this a little my friend...

Rasner is the real deal. He was tearing it up in the minors and so far he's pitched very well. Kennedy is so far pitching decent against the O's tonight. Hopefully, he's starting to turn it around.

Joba still has to be a starting pitcher either some time this season or at the very latest next season. It's not that hard to find an effective closer. Mush harder to find an ace. There will never be another Mariano but there are plenty of Jose Valverdes and Billy Wagners out there.

Rasner I always knew was the type of pitcher, who would eventually make the majors, I wasn't sure if he would make it with the Yankees though. AL East is a really tough division, and not many players really make it.

I honestly think we shouldn't make the move this year with Joba, unless the people in the minors like J.B. Cox, Mark Melancon, and Humberto Sanchez will be so good, that it wouldn't hurt us much having Joba as a starter. Obviously we need those 3 to make it in the bullpen, because what Yankee fan really trusts Kyle Farnsworth? I admit, he has been better this year, but still, what yankee fan can trust the guy? lol

Also, must not forget, with Brian Bruney possibly back later in the year, or next year, he is another solid arm in the bullpen. I swear not only did he look like a different guy, weight wise, but he also looked like a different guy, pitching wise.

Peter North nailed it. This whole "keep Joba in the bullpen" sentiment needs to go. I'm sure any ace would look great as a one inning reliever but just because it's true doesn't mean teams are going to start converting them to relievers. So why if Joba has ace potential would the Yanks keep him as a reliever?

1-2 type starter > reliever

Excellent post.

Has anyone in this thread said anything remotely close to what I bolded? I simply asked a question and now I'm a Yankee hater that doesn't want to see the team get better?

Sometimes its impossible to have a rational discussion around here.

Peter North nailed it. This whole "keep Joba in the bullpen" sentiment needs to go. I'm sure any ace would look great as a one inning reliever but just because it's true doesn't mean teams are going to start converting them to relievers. So why if Joba has ace potential would the Yanks keep him as a reliever?

1-2 type starter > reliever

That's exactly the point. If he has the potential to be an ace, you don't put him in the bullpen. And he does. He has four quality pitches. Bullpen arms are far easier to find than aces.

Archived