And so it begins: Joba being groomed to become a starter

Peter North nailed it. This whole "keep Joba in the bullpen" sentiment needs to go. I'm sure any ace would look great as a one inning reliever but just because it's true doesn't mean teams are going to start converting them to relievers. So why if Joba has ace potential would the Yanks keep him as a reliever?

1-2 type starter > reliever

The Yankees have 162 games, more or less 9 innings every game, that have to be pitched. Having your best pitcher pitch 155 of those innings is better than having him pitch 75 of those innings. Plus there isn't a point to having a shutdown setup guy if you only get to him once or twice a week.

The Yankees have 162 games, more or less 9 innings every game, that have to be pitched. Having your best pitcher pitch 155 of those innings is better than having him pitch 75 of those innings. Plus there isn't a point to having a shutdown setup guy if you only get to him once or twice a week.

We will see how a batting order does against him the second time around after seeing his stuff and making adjustments.

There are legions of pitchers who can make a killing in middle relief, but have trouble a second time around an order.

Not saying Joba is one of those guys, but you can't base a pitcher on 1-2 inning stints, and then automatically protract that for a full game.

Has anyone in this thread said anything remotely close to what I bolded? I simply asked a question and now I'm a Yankee hater that doesn't want to see the team get better?

Sometimes its impossible to have a rational discussion around here.

:rl:

If anything you are posting what you think will help the Yankess, not hurt them. Our starting pitching is terrible, once again. We need someone to get out of this starting pitching funk we've been in for the last four years. Mariano isn't showing any signs of aging. Besides, when he retires and if our starting pitching is good we can always move Joba back to closer. If he changed so quickly from a starter in the minor leagues to a setup man in the majors, I don't see why he can't go from a starter to closer in the major leagues if need be.

Has anyone in this thread said anything remotely close to what I bolded? I simply asked a question and now I'm a Yankee hater that doesn't want to see the team get better?

Sometimes its impossible to have a rational discussion around here.

It is impossible because people dont want to have a discussion, they just want to rant and rave. You need to have a few brain cells working in order to have a discussion.

as a reliever Joba can pitch in 50-60 games. As a starter, 30-35 games.

Wouldnt you rather have him have an impact in more games?

No. I wouldn't. I would rather he win a bunch of them as a starter.

No. I wouldn't. I would rather he win a bunch of them as a starter.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I think we have a better chance of finding another Cone/Pettite than another Mo. I see Joba as Mo was when Wettland was closing. I know a lot of bandwagoners don't remember, but Mo was bred setting up for John. It takes a certain mentality to be a lights out closer. We will never see another Mo. But Joba sure has the guts for the job.

Maybe I'm wrong. But I think we have a better chance of finding another Cone/Pettite than another Mo. I see Joba as Mo was when Wettland was closing. I know a lot of bandwagoners don't remember, but Mo was bred setting up for John. It takes a certain mentality to be a lights out closer. We will never see another Mo. But Joba sure has the guts for the job.

Mo was not bred to setup for Wetteland. Mo was a marginal prospect who was a starter his first season. He didn't have great success but he pitched well out of the bullpen. The next year he got the 8th inning job and they won the World Series ('96). But it wasn't part of any master plan.

The part about Mo would make sense but he just signed a 4 year deal. Saving what they think could be a front of the rotation starter to pitch the 8th inning for the next few years, doesn't make sense to me. It would only serve to make the team weaker.

If it doesn't work as a starter -- he can always go back. :)

Nice spin there homey. As a starter Joba would pitch a lot more innings than as a one-inning a game reliever.

Besides, our starting pitching has been killing us in the playoffs the last few years. The Yankees are not going to beat the Red Sox or Indians in the playoffs unless they can get a money starting pitcher who can shut them down.

Best Case Scenario: Joba is the next Roger Clemens

Worst Case Scenario: Joba just goes back to the bullpen and continues to have succcess there.

Enough with this argument. You have all been thoroughly owned.

Nice spin there homey. As a starter Joba would pitch a lot more innings than as a one-inning a game reliever.

Besides, our starting pitching has been killing us in the playoffs the last few years. The Yankees are not going to beat the Red Sox or Indians in the playoffs unless they can get a money starting pitcher who can shut them down.

Best Case Scenario: Joba is the next Roger Clemens

Worst Case Scenario: Joba just goes back to the bullpen and continues to have succcess there.

Enough with this argument. You have all been thoroughly owned.

Its not a spin. Its an honest discussion to have. One I heard on the radio the other day on 'FAN while driving thru Jersey.

Its not about innings, its about games he would have an impact in. As a starter he gets 30-35 games. As a reliever he gets 50-60 games.

The Yankees arent making the playoffs this year, so I wouldnt worry about this year.

And I dont know how I've been owned. I somehow thought this was a discussion, but what a surprise, a Yankee fan thought it was some sort of competition. You are sad and pathetic- the calling card of the Yankee fan.

Can you answer me why Yankee fans (outside of Max) cant have a discussion about topics? Are you really all such thick headed ass-holes that you somehow cannot have an honest rational discussion? Im not saying Im right or wrong.. heck in fact I said Joba should be a starter, but what a friggin surprise the pathetic yankee fan missed that.

So eff you and your team. No wonder everyone hates the yankees. I hope your ship sinks down with mine.

Its not a spin. Its an honest discussion to have. One I heard on the radio the other day on 'FAN while driving thru Jersey.

Its not about innings, its about games he would have an impact in. As a starter he gets 30-35 games. As a reliever he gets 50-60 games.

The Yankees arent making the playoffs this year, so I wouldnt worry about this year.

And I dont know how I've been owned. I somehow thought this was a discussion, but what a surprise, a Yankee fan thought it was some sort of competition. You are sad and pathetic- the calling card of the Yankee fan.

Can you answer me why Yankee fans (outside of Max) cant have a discussion about topics? Are you really all such thick headed ass-holes that you somehow cannot have an honest rational discussion? Im not saying Im right or wrong.. heck in fact I said Joba should be a starter, but what a friggin surprise the pathetic yankee fan missed that.

So eff you and your team. No wonder everyone hates the yankees. I hope your ship sinks down with mine.

wow, you're a hostile douchebag. I love it. Embrace the dark side and all that. Someone doesn't agree with you in a discussion and dismisses your point of view, just maliciously attack them. Way to show who is the bigger man!

Well so much for those 55 pitches Joba was supposed to throw tonight. 3-2 in the Top of the 7th and Andy is still pitching. I heard earlier that if he doesn't have 55 pitches in the game as soon as the game is over he'll be going to the bullpen to finish it off. WTF? :eek:

Even if he pitches the last two innings you can't think he'd have more than 40 pitches AT MOST, and thats on a bad night for Joba.

Well so much for those 55 pitches Joba was supposed to throw tonight. 3-2 in the Top of the 7th and Andy is still pitching. I heard earlier that if he doesn't have 55 pitches in the game as soon as the game is over he'll be going to the bullpen to finish it off. WTF? :eek:

Even if he pitches the last two innings you can't think he'd have more than 40 pitches AT MOST, and thats on a bad night for Joba.

Yup. he'll be playing catch in the bull pen, brilliant.

You're an idiot.

I don't think any one inning is more valuable than another. In ANY inning a game can be lost, not just the 9th. And in order to get to Joba and Mariano anyway, you have to have good starting pitching. That's why 200 innings as a starter are more important than 70-80 as a reliever. And it's much easier finding a good 8th inning guy than it is a starter like Joba will be.

I don't think any one inning is more valuable than another. In ANY inning a game can be lost, not just the 9th. And in order to get to Joba and Mariano anyway, you have to have good starting pitching. That's why 200 innings as a starter are more important than 70-80 as a reliever. And it's much easier finding a good 8th inning guy than it is a starter like Joba will be.

I think the kind of 8th inning guy Joba already has proven to be is harder to find than the kind of starter Job could be but hasn't proven yet at the major league level.

I think the kind of 8th inning guy Joba already has proven to be is harder to find than the kind of starter Job could be but hasn't proven yet at the major league level.

True. But that 8th inning guy will never be as valuable as someone like a Josh Beckett...who Joba could potentially be.

True. But that 8th inning guy will never be as valuable as someone like a Josh Beckett...who Joba could potentially be.

Fair enough. I see where you might even need that 8th inning guy if you starter is effective enough. I still see it as the Yankees hitting the panic button a little early on in this season.

Fair enough. I see where you might even need that 8th inning guy if you starter is effective enough. I still see it as the Yankees hitting the panic button a little early on in this season.

Absolutely you need a good 8th inning guy, but Joba can be much more.

wow, you're a hostile douchebag. I love it. Embrace the dark side and all that. Someone doesn't agree with you in a discussion and dismisses your point of view, just maliciously attack them. Way to show who is the bigger man!

Yeah I am a hostile douchebag. I wasnt trying to show who was the bigger man. I blow up eventually.

And the attack was warranted. I didnt fire the first shot.

But I still love you Arsis!

Yeah I am a hostile douchebag. I wasnt trying to show who was the bigger man. I blow up eventually.

And the attack was warranted. I didnt fire the first shot.

But I still love you Arsis!

love you too man! Never said there was anything wrong with it, lol. and I was only busting balls.

Archived