Jets articles 5 / 28/ 08

Kentucky Jet

Full house backfield?

The Jets' signing of former Ravens RB Musa Smith today gives them a pretty crowded backfield heading into spring minicamp next week. Smith joins starter Thomas Jones, as well as Leon Washington and free agent signee Jesse Chatman, formerly of the Dolphins.

Smith played five mostly injury-ravaged seasons for Baltimore, and has career totals of 132 carries for 496 yards, a 3.8-yard rushing average and four TDs. His 2004 season ended with that moment pictured at left, when he suffered a broken tibia from a Roy Williams horse-collar. He had a lot of bad injury luck with the Ravens, but the Jets obviously feel there's still potential there.

Smith visited the Jets last week. According to published reports, Baltimore made no effort to sign the UFA, although Smith said he was set to visit the Jets before they signed Chatman, so the two parties have been in contact for awhile.

May 27, 2008 at 11:58 PM | Permalink

Jets Sign ANOTHER Running Back

Posted by Bob Bullock May 27, 2008 9:20PM

Categories: News

Has there been a new rule instituted by the NFL that I'm not aware of? Perhaps the league plans to use two balls at one time next season. That could help explain the need for the Jets to sign yet ANOTHER running back to the roster.

The newest edition to the backfield is ex-Ravens back Musa Smith. The team announced the signing today.

So that puts Smith in the mix with Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Jesse Chatman and Tony Richardson. Heck, they even have two UFA's in this group too with Danny Woodhead and Jehuu Caulcrick.

So it certainly looks like the team is planning to run the ball a ridiculous amount of times this season. Tangini wants to make sure they have plenty of horses to carry the rock no matter what the circumstances are. I just hope there will be enough reps for all these guys during two-a-days. They shouldn't have to worry about getting worn-out, that's for sure.

I would have rather seen the team sign free agent linebacker Rosevelt Colvin instead.

Winston Hill, HOF Debate

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dr. Z is going over his list of Hall of Famers with Ron Wolf, former Packer GM and Jets' Director of Personnel

The article is here http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...lf.hall/1.html

Winston Hill of the Super Bowl Jets. A smooth, stylish left tackle, a great raconteur, a fine wit.

"Of all the names I could have had that would have inspired fear," he used to say. "Rocky. Bruiser. My parents had to name me Winston ... Winnie to everyone. I mean could you see a defensive lineman terrified because he had to go up against a Winnie?"

"So graceful, so beautiful to watch," Matt Snell, the fullback, used to say. "Took them just where he wanted them to go. Never seemed like he was exerting himself that much. Tell me, did you ever seen Winnie sweat?"

"That's my man, bingo!" Wolf said. "You talk about a guy whose name you never hear now, that's him. I'd love to see the Seniors Committee propose him."

Debating Hall of Fame candidates with a true football historian (cont.)

On we go to the 38 players who were up in previous years and never made it. QBs are strong. Esiason, Plunkett, Simms, Stabler and Ken Anderson, who has always been a personal favorite, if only for the way he carried himself on the field. There was a kind of majesty about him.

"It's the grey area," Wolf said. "Good players, all of them good enough to win, but Hall of Famers? I don't think so. You could add Dan Fouts to that list. I know he's in already, but we played him enough times, when I was with the Raiders. But I never had the feeling that, OK, we're paying the Chargers now -- the one guy we have to worry about is the one throwing the ball."

Back comes Terrell Davis to light the fires of controversy once again. "Too short a career," said the negative voices. "Seven years, total, and only four of them were effective."

I was on the opposing side of that argument on this one. Yes, but those four years were sensational, and in two of them the Broncos rode his shirttails to Super Bowl triumphs.

"Four good years -- I don't think that's enough," Wolf said. Fine, but I think I have the clinching argument here. It's a two-word argument, a player both Wolf and I respect above almost anyone else. Orban "Spec" Sanders. Make that a three-word argument.

"Oh, man," Wolf said. "Ran back kicks and punts, passed, ran, punted, and then in his last year played defensive back."

A phenom for the rival All-America Football Conference, which had as many superstars as the NFL did, don't let anyone tell you different (not that anyone who is sane would hold such a conversation 60 years later). Single-wing tailback for the New York Yankees, and many a Sunday did I sit in the Stadium, yelling my lungs out for Spec and little Buddy Young, and Marion Motley, when the Browns came to town. Ran for 1,432 yards the same year Steve Van Buren set the NFL rushing record of 1,008.

His knees were shot in 1949, and he was out of the game, but in 1950 the Yankees were absorbed into the NFL and Spec came back as a defensive halfback -- they didn't call them cornerbacks then. His 13 interceptions were a league record, topped only by "Night Train" Lane's 14 two years later. Tell me, Ron, was Spec a Hall of Famer?

"Damn right he was," Wolf said. "Nobody ever did the things he did."

Well, ahem, three years in the AAFC, one in the NFL. Is Terrell Davis a Hall of Famer?

"You've given me something to think about," he said.

We move on, through a strong field of tight ends, Ben Coates, Mark Bavaro, the demon blocker, Todd Christensen, a personal favorite. "A hell of a list," he said. "If I had to take one of them, I'd take Bavaro, if only because of what he did for that offense. He made the Giants into a Super Bowl team."

How about the wideouts? Andre Reed. Made it to the round of 15.

"A lot of catches," Wolf said, "but did he dominate?"

Cris Carter, made it to the final 10 last time, lost out to Art Monk.

"Monk wouldn't be a choice of mine," Wolf said. "Did people say, when they played the Redskins, 'We've got to stop Art Monk?'

"Same thing with Carter. Who was the guy who worried you on that team? The speed guy on the other side, Randy Moss."

A pause for reflection. Cris Carter on the goal line, Carter against coverage on the sideline. Better think it through.

"Yeah, when they got in close, it was Carter you had to worry about," Wolf said. "When they needed the key first down, who did they go to? Moss? No, it was Carter. Plus he was an S.O.B. to cover. Now look what happened. Initially I dinged Carter, but when all is said and done, he really is deserving."

So how many has he put in the Hall already? Seven? Eight? And we still have the linemen who lost out last time, plus the defensive players.

Tony Boselli? "No. Better when he was younger."

Dermontti Dawson. "The best center's already in, and his name is Stephenson."

Bob Kuechenberg, whom I've been plugging for as long as I can remember? Jim Lachey? Steve Wisniewski? "No, no and no." Randall McDaniel? "More Pro Bowls than almost anybody," Wolf said, and I think he was beginning to wear out at this point. "I guess he belongs."

I told him I'd always been in ex-Falcon Mike Kenn's corner. As technically correct a tackle as the modern era has produced. "Oh yes," Wolf said. "And he did it for a long, long time, on some bad teams."

The name of Kenn reminded me of Winston Hill of the Super Bowl Jets. A smooth, stylish left tackle, a great raconteur, a fine wit.

"Of all the names I could have had that would have inspired fear," he used to say. "Rocky. Bruiser. My parents had to name me Winston ... Winnie to everyone. I mean could you see a defensive lineman terrified because he had to go up against a Winnie?"

"So graceful, so beautiful to watch," Matt Snell, the fullback, used to say. "Took them just where he wanted them to go. Never seemed like he was exerting himself that much. Tell me, did you ever seen Winnie sweat?"

"That's my man, bingo!" Wolf said. "You talk about a guy whose name you never hear now, that's him. I'd love to see the Seniors Committee propose him."

We all have our own favorites, players you could almost consider personal quirks. Hill is one of Ron Wolf's. So is defensive back Otto Schnellbacher, New York Yankees, New York Giants, a mainstay in Steve Owen's original Umbrella Defense, Otto Graham's persistent tormenter. Oh sure, I've got mine, too. Richie Jackson, the Broncos' great pass-rushing end, "Tombstone," they called him.

"Drove an old jalopy over the mountains after we'd traded with Oakland for him, and arrived in camp in the evening, just as it was getting dark," Stan Jones, the Denver line coach once told me. "He said, 'I've gone as far as I'm going. This is where I make my stand.' "

Here's another longshot, ex-49er Tommy Davis, a rocket punter who tamed the wicked winds of Kezar. Will the Seniors Committee ever find them? Probably not.

"Sometimes one particular talent stays with you," Wolf says. "Take George Buehler, our right guard with the Raiders. No one ever handled Joe Greene better than Buehler did. George was a different kind of guy, though. Kind of spacy.

"He would say to Gene Upshaw, our left guard, 'Eugene' ... he always called him Eugene ... 'who are we paying today?' And Gene would say, 'The Pittsburgh Steelers, George.'

'And Eugene, who will I be playing against?'

'Joe Greene, George.'

'Thank you, Eugene.' "

http://www.profootballhof.com/hof/selectionprocess.jsp

Pro Football Hall of Fame Board of Selectors

Arizona Kent Somers, Arizona Republic

Atlanta Len Pasquarelli, ESPN.com

Baltimore Scott Garceau, WMAR-TV

Buffalo Mark Gaughan, Buffalo News

Carolina Charles Chandler, Charlotte Observer

Chicago Dan Pompei, Chicago Tribune

Cincinnati Chick Ludwig, Dayton Daily News

Cleveland Tony Grossi, Cleveland Plain Dealer

Dallas Rick Gosselin, Dallas Morning News*

Denver Jeff Legwold, Rocky Mountain News

Detroit Mike O'Hara, The Detroit News

Green Bay Cliff Christl, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Houston John McClain, Houston Chronicle*

Indianapolis Mike Chappell, Indianapolis Star

Jacksonville Sam Kouvaris, WJXT-TV

Kansas City Bob Gretz, KCFX Overland Park, KS

Miami Edwin Pope, Miami Herald*

Minnesota Sid Hartman, The Minneapolis Star-Tribune

New England Ron Borges, HBO Sports/Pro Football Weekly

New Orleans Pete Finney, Times-Picayune

New York (Giants) Vinny DiTrani, Bergen Record

New York (Jets) Paul Zimmerman, Sports Illustrated

Oakland Frank Cooney, The Sports Xchange

Philadelphia Paul Domowitch, Philadelphia Daily News

Pittsburgh Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

St. Louis Bernie Miklasz, St. Louis Post-Dispatch

San Diego Jerry Magee, San Diego Union Tribune*

San Francisco Ira Miller, The Sports Xchange*

Seattle Clare Farnsworth, Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Tampa Bay Ira Kaufman, Tampa Tribune

Tennessee David Climer, The Tennessean

Washington David Elfin, Washington Times

PFWA Charean Williams, Ft. Worth Star Telegram

At Large Howard Balzer, The Sports Xchange

At Large Jarrett Bell, USA Today

At Large John Clayton, ESPN/ESPN Magazine

At Large John Czarnecki, FoxSports.com

At Large Nancy Gay, San Francisco Chronicle

At Large Dave Goldberg, Associated Press*

At Large Peter King, Sports Illustrated

At Large Bob Oates, Los Angeles Times

At Large Len Shapiro, Miami Herald*

At Large Vito Stellino, Florida Times Union

At Large Jim Trotter, Sports Illustrated

* Also serves on the Senior Selection Committee. There is one selector still to be determined who will serve on the Senior Selection Committee.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jets/2008/05/jets-add-musa-smith.html

May 27, 2008

Jets add another RB in Musa Smith (updated)

So now the Jets have a new running back in their ever-growing stable, none of them named Darren McFadden. The new guy is former Ravens RB Musa Smith, a career backup.

blogmusa11.JPG

Now the Jets have Thomas Jones, Leon Washington, Jesse Chatman and Smith, the running backs with experience on their depth chart. Smith, almost 26, is coming off his most productive season He rushed 75 times for 264 yards for a 3.5 average and two touchdowns, while catching 27 passes for 192 yards. He did it as Willis McGahee

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/scorecard/nflnews.asp?articleID=233818

Raiders bring back QB Tuiasosopo

Oakland, CA (Sports Network) - The Oakland Raiders signed veteran free agent quarterback Marques Tuiasosopo on Thursday, bringing the career backup back to the club that drafted him.

The Raiders originally selected Tuiasosopo in the second round of the 2001 NFL Draft. The former University of Washington star spent the 2007 season with the New York Jets, but will come back to Oakland to be backup to JaMarcus Russell.

Tuiasosopo played for the Raiders from 2001-2006 and completed 48 of 88 pass attempts for 550 yards and two touchdowns in 11 games. He did not play at all for the Jets last season.

The 29-year-old finished his college career with 5,501 passing yards and 31 touchdown passes. He also rushed for a UW-record 1,374 yards, scoring 20 touchdowns on the ground.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/05/27/browns-jets-looking-at-colvin/

BROWNS, JETS LOOKING AT COLVIN?

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 27, 2008, 10:39 a.m. EDT

Former Bears and Patriots linebacker Rosevelt Colvin, who is one of the handful of veteran unrestricted free agents looking for work, says the Browns and Jets are interested in his services.

According to the Dayton Daily News, Colvin said today on Sirius NFL Radio that those two teams have been in contact with his agent about adding him to their defenses.

At first glance, both teams would seem to make sense: The Browns are coached by former Patriots defensive coordinator Romeo Crennel, and the Jets are coached by former Patriots defensive coordinator Eric Mangini. In either place, Colvin would already know the defense.

But are they really interested? On Sunday, Tony Grossi of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote that if the Browns were interested in Colvin, they would have brought him in by now. And the Jets have already addressed their needs at outside linebacker this off-season.

Colvin is coming off a season-ending injury and will turn 31 before the 2008 season starts, and he may simply be hoping to drum up interest from somewhere.

5-11? As I read the article I thought the writer didn't know anything about the Jets and at the end you found out exactly how stupid he was. Not only does he have the Jets losing improving by just one game, he has New England at 11-5? Seriously?

What a joke.

The guy is nuts. He says Jericho Cotchery isn't a solid #2 receiver. WTF. He's a young guy coming off a 1,000 yard season despite the fact that he missed a couple games, on a team with serious QB and OL troubles.

He says we "didn't address anything on offense", yeah, besides bringing in one of the best guards in the NFL, and one of the best fullbacks in the NFL, and a vet at TE and depth at RB.

And he says we're going to split with Miami. LMFAO. We didn't even split with Miami LAST YEAR and this team is vastly improved.

Yeah, we "lost John Vilma". Who the hell is John Vilma? Last I checked it was Jonathan Vilma.

"We lost Victor Hobson". I like Hobson, but comeon, seriously? Victor Hoboson? Bryan Thomas is better in the 34 at OLB than Victor Hobson. He should've been playing on the inside, IMO.

Jerricho Cotchery not a #2? Is he serious?

We "lost Dewayne Robertson so we got Kris Jenkins"? Dewayne Robertson is a 310 lb piece of garbage with an f'd up knee. Yeah thats a huge loss right there.

Remind me to never read anything by this chump again.

Yeah, we "lost John Vilma". Who the hell is John Vilma? Last I checked it was Jonathan Vilma.

"We lost Victor Hobson". I like Hobson, but comeon, seriously? Victor Hoboson? Bryan Thomas is better in the 34 at OLB than Victor Hobson. He should've been playing on the inside, IMO.

Jerricho Cotchery not a #2? Is he serious?

We "lost Dewayne Robertson so we got Kris Jenkins"? Dewayne Robertson is a 310 lb piece of garbage with an f'd up knee. Yeah thats a huge loss right there.

Remind me to never read anything by this chump again.

I stopped reading when that dumbass said Keller is a blocking-tight end who will line up in the slot.

"Coles is the man, but he's about done; what have they done to prepare for that? Brad Smith?" Um, no douche, we have implemented a power-running set, signed a big red-zone target in Bubba Franks, drafted Chansi Stuckey last year, drafted this year's best reciever in Dustin Keller and picked up Marcus Henry.

Brad Smith was two years ago. This writer is a douche.

Check out this guys comment at the end. what a douchebag. he's a browns fan.

default-user-icon-comment.png by Bruce

from about 15 hours ago

Sure, with all the upgrades made they should only win one more game. Good call. A drastically upgraded O line and Defense should not improve them more than one W. Good analysis...dummy.

default-user-icon-comment.png by Bryan

from about 10 hours ago

I've been a Jets fan my whole life, so I'm used to reading negative opinions and poor predicitions. The problem that I have with this article is that some of the major points are just flat out wrong...

Point 1: Alana Faneca and Thomas Jones came to NY for the money... Of course Alan Faneca came for the money, but Thomas Jones came to NY because the Bears TRADED him to NY. It was only about a year ago that it happened. Did we already forget?

Point 2: The Jets picked up Kris Jenkins because they lost Dewayne Robertson... Actually, the Jets traded for Jenkins because Robertson was ineffective in their system. In the months after acquiring Jenkins, they couldn't give Robertson away. They finally sent him to Denver for almost nothing.

I know that everyone has opinion and everyone likes to be an expert. But if you pretend to be a sportswriter, at least get the basic facts straight. Otherwise, you just look stupid.

Keep up the good work!

sean_jonsey_comment.jpg by Jeremy

from about 4 hours ago

hahaha pretend sportswriter.. I'm not a sportswriter.. i'm just your average guy who just flat out knows they don't have enough to win more than five games.. just because all you hear is negative things about your teams, get used to it.. you have a lot of catching up to do in the league.. have fun winning 5 games.

As for the offense, they didn't address squat—minus Bubba Franks

WTF??

Guess this guy doesn't take into account the O-line. You know, the most important unit of any offense.:confused0058:

What an Idiot. That entire article has absolutely no credibility whatsoever.

Check out this guys comment at the end. what a douchebag. he's a browns fan.

default-user-icon-comment.png by Bruce

from about 15 hours ago

Sure, with all the upgrades made they should only win one more game. Good call. A drastically upgraded O line and Defense should not improve them more than one W. Good analysis...dummy.

default-user-icon-comment.png by Bryan

from about 10 hours ago

I've been a Jets fan my whole life, so I'm used to reading negative opinions and poor predicitions. The problem that I have with this article is that some of the major points are just flat out wrong...

Point 1: Alana Faneca and Thomas Jones came to NY for the money... Of course Alan Faneca came for the money, but Thomas Jones came to NY because the Bears TRADED him to NY. It was only about a year ago that it happened. Did we already forget?

Point 2: The Jets picked up Kris Jenkins because they lost Dewayne Robertson... Actually, the Jets traded for Jenkins because Robertson was ineffective in their system. In the months after acquiring Jenkins, they couldn't give Robertson away. They finally sent him to Denver for almost nothing.

I know that everyone has opinion and everyone likes to be an expert. But if you pretend to be a sportswriter, at least get the basic facts straight. Otherwise, you just look stupid.

Keep up the good work!

sean_jonsey_comment.jpg by Jeremy

from about 4 hours ago

hahaha pretend sportswriter.. I'm not a sportswriter.. i'm just your average guy who just flat out knows they don't have enough to win more than five games.. just because all you hear is negative things about your teams, get used to it.. you have a lot of catching up to do in the league.. have fun winning 5 games.

I tried to warn u guys. Nothing good ever comes from a clowns fan. I can't confirm it but it is widely believed by Steeler fans that most horrible STD's and other more life threatening diseases come from clowns fans. Be wary, very wary of them. :character0293:

Is that THE Sean Jones as his avatar? This clown says the Jets won't win more than 5 games? Really? The same Jets who upgraded the Offensive Line, Defensive Line, Tight End position, Secondary, Running Backs and Linebackers -- all positions that were weaker when the Jets lost to the Browns by a measley 6 points? :rl:

Sean Jones is the best player in Cleveland's secondary and thats like being the smartest kid with down syndrome.

Archived