Bills selling out and the Jaguars struggling to sell - PFT.com

JAGUARS STRUGGLING TO SELL TICKETS

Posted by Josh Alper on June 9, 2008, 10:39 a.m.

Despite a playoff win against the Steelers and a busy offseason the Jacksonville Jaguars are still finding it hard to sell tickets to their games.

Right now, according to the Florida Times-Union, the team is 4,000 non-premium season tickets away from ensuring that they’ll avoid blackouts in the 2008 season. These shortfalls are why the Jags are often mentioned among the teams that could relocate to Los Angeles.

The Jags have struggled to get strong attendance at Jacksonville Municipal Stadium throughout their life as a NFL team. They put up tarps to cover swaths of empty seats, but the Jags have struggled to fill the remainder. Two of their first three home games were blacked out of local television in 2007 and overall attendance dipped even though the team improved from eight to 11 wins.

“We’re getting all sorts of national media attention [for being a Super Bowl contender], and we’re entrusting that the marketplace will respond,” said Tim Connoll, the Jaguars’ senior vice president of business development. “It’s a late-buying crowd. What everyone keeps forgetting is you can’t hurry love. We’ve only been here 14 years. It takes time to develop things like Hail To the Redskins.”

It does take time to develop a fan base but if you can’t get the bandwagon jumpers when the team is good, what’s going to happen when the team takes a step backward?

BILLS RACKING UP SELLOUTS

Posted by Mike Florio on June 9, 2008, 2:31 p.m.

At a time when there are real concerns about the long-term viability of the Bill in Buffalo, plenty of fans are stepping up to the cash register and buying tickets to games.

The team announced on Monday that individual tickets to five of the seven regular-season games to be played in Buffalo have been sold out.

Specifically, all individual tickets to games against the Seahawks, Raiders, Chargers, Jets, and Browns have been purchased.

Tickets remain only for home games against the 49ers and the Patriots. The Bills’ eighth home game will be played in Toronto.

The Bills also have sold more than 52,000 season tickets, which is their biggest number since 1993, which ended with their last visit to the Super Bowl. Full-season seats are available, starting at $240 for the year.

The Jaguars very might well be contenders in 2008, but will there be anyone in the stands to witness it? Pathetic. Jacksonville should be the franchise that moves to either Los Angeles or Canada if the NFL wants a franchise in either place in the future, not Buffalo. Buffalo fans are diehards and are now stepping up to the plate now more than ever.

The Jaguars very might well be contenders in 2008, but will there be anyone in the stands to witness it? Pathetic. Jacksonville should be the franchise that moves to either Los Angeles or Canada if the NFL wants a franchise in either place in the future, not Buffalo. Buffalo fans are diehards and are now stepping up to the plate now more than ever.

Jacksonville fans dont care about the NFL. They only care about college football.

When I was there for the Jets getting their asses kicked a few years ago, no one around me really cared. Most even left early. The ones around me were more concerned about the Florida Gators than they were about the Jaguars. The only good thing is they know how to tailgate.

Move the team.

Jacksonville fans dont care about the NFL. They only care about college football.

When I was there for the Jets getting their asses kicked a few years ago, no one around me really cared. Most even left early. The ones around me were more concerned about the Florida Gators than they were about the Jaguars. The only good thing is they know how to tailgate.

Move the team.

Incredible. The other thing that hurts them is having the Dolphins and Bucs in the same state already, two franchises that have been around a long, long time. Their is no reason to keep them in Jacksonville, even though the Jaguars employ a friend of mines brother.

Incredible. The other thing that hurts them is having the Dolphins and Bucs in the same state already, two franchises that have been around a long, long time. Their is no reason to keep them in Jacksonville, even though the Jaguars employ a friend of mines brother.

None of the people around me were fans of the dolphins or Bucs before the Jags came to town. Thanks to the jets rolling over and playing dead for 4 quarters, there was a lot of time to talk with the jag fans.

its buffalo.

if we ever had problems selling out, I would expect our tickets to drop in price. Until then they will keep gouging us.

Buffalo tickets are some of the cheapest in the NFL.

aec4 wouldn't know that though, since, you know, he doesn't attend NFL games.

Florida is a big state. And the teams aren't near each other. Thats like saying the Giants take away from the fan base of the Bills.

In some cases you do have to teams competing for the same fan base: Jets/Giants, Mets/Yankees, Clippers/Lakers. But just because two teams are in the same state doesn't mean they are going after the same fans if the state is big enough: steelers/eagles.

You keep comparing states with two teams however. Buffalo is so far out there, it doesn't even matter. Most New Yorkers don't even consider Buffalo freakin' New York.

Florida is not that big and it also has a lot of immigrants that could care less about Football.

You keep comparing states with two teams however. Buffalo is so far out there, it doesn't even matter. Most New Yorkers don't even consider Buffalo freakin' New York.

Florida is not that big and it also has a lot of immigrants that could care less about Football.

East Rutherford NJ to Buffalo- 391 miles- over 6 hours.

Miami to Jacksonville- 349 miles- about 5 hours.

Tampa to Jacksonville- 224 miles. 3 1/2 hours.

Can't believe Jags can't sell out, What the hell is there to do up there?

the entire population of Florida for the most part are bandwagon fans when it comes to professional sports. College Football trumps all down there, and you'd be hardpressed to ever finding the Jaguars, Marlins, Panthers, D-Rays, or Dolphins selling out ever, regardless of whether they were doing well down there. It's a fact of life. Playoff games for the fins are a joke down there because radio stations and other entities end up buying up the rest of the playoff tickets in order for the game to avoid being blackouted in South Florida. The few games they sell out (such as the Jets game) are only because 2/3 of the stadium is rooting for the other team.

Haha does anybody besides me find it amusing that Bills fans will buy tickets for Jets games, but not against the Patriots? Guess nobody wants to see a game against a cheater, win or lose it'll suck.

I was very surprised about that.. Every year I hear about Pats fans making the trip to Buffalo to see them play...

Everyone should make a road trip to Buffalo at least once in their life. Great place to see a game.

Haha does anybody besides me find it amusing that Bills fans will buy tickets for Jets games, but not against the Patriots? Guess nobody wants to see a game against a cheater, win or lose it'll suck.

Do you realize that the Bills/Pats game is on December 28th (last game of the regular season)? Pats fans have been buying those tickets for years. Maybe the Bills fans should pick up the slack.

Or Bills fans just realize that they're probably going to lose.

Everyone should make a road trip to Buffalo at least once in their life. Great place to see a game.

Heard that if you wear Jets gear up there they cream you, but I went to a Jets home game vs the Bills last yr and it was almost half Bills fans. The difference is depressing.

Heard that if you wear Jets gear up there they cream you, but I went to a Jets home game vs the Bills last yr and it was almost half Bills fans. The difference is depressing.

I havent seen a Jets game there... so I dont know.\

But if someone f%cked with me, it would be their last game they attended walking.

Archived